Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    107

    Need to find a chain tensioner locally.

    I have a single speed bike 99% complete, the only thing that is missing is a chain tensioner. Technically i have BB mounted one, but due to chain/cogs length/size/whatever it doesn't really fit. So I need to bolt one on in the rear.

    Problem is that I have no idea where I can just walk in and grab one. Don't really want to order a single part from Jenson or something and pay 30% cost in shipping, plus wait.


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RippleChip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    141
    Can always order one from Misfit Psycles

    http://www.psyclestore.com/categorie...sion-Products/

  3. #3
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by RippleChip
    Can always order one from Misfit Psycles
    Looks like someone's trying to win a hoodie!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  4. #4
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,108
    i got a paul components one somewhere that i will part with... way better quality...

    http://www.paulcomp.com/melvin.html
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket
    i got a paul components one somewhere that i will part with... way better quality...

    http://www.paulcomp.com/melvin.html

    Melvin = US$82
    Misfit = Cdn$24 or Cdn$30.

    The Melvin is good, I would suggest not as good as its price requires it to be. And for a tensioner on a converted hardtail, good enough, in my opinion, is good enough.

    Now please send me my hoodie.

  6. #6
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,108
    now now, who said i was going to sell it for $82...

    -i can sell it for $30...
    -i can even barter for it...

    update:
    -malven is now gone (thank you)

    other goodies found in the used parts bin:
    -chris king headset 1 1/8
    -old xtr rear dr.
    -1 1/8 thomson stem
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 08-14-2009 at 08:52 AM.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

  7. #7
    Space for rent...
    Reputation: SSteve F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by GroceryBagHead
    I have a single speed bike 99% complete, the only thing that is missing is a chain tensioner. Technically i have BB mounted one, but due to chain/cogs length/size/whatever it doesn't really fit. So I need to bolt one on in the rear.

    Problem is that I have no idea where I can just walk in and grab one. Don't really want to order a single part from Jenson or something and pay 30% cost in shipping, plus wait.

    Can't you run a 1/2 link?
    It's only pain......

  8. #8
    More than a little slow
    Reputation: dskunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    618
    Just in case .... Urbane Cycle normally has Surly tensioners in stock.

    I think if I was to go the tensioner route again I would be tempted to go with Paul's Melvin.
    Cheers, Dave

  9. #9
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteve F
    Can't you run a 1/2 link?
    1/2 links are the Devil's spawn. Care to see the scar from the last one I destroyed?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EvilScience's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    220
    I don't recall what brand it is, but I have tensioner free to a good home (I replaced it with an ENO eccentric rear hub ). It worked fine for 2 years, easy setup.

  11. #11
    Space for rent...
    Reputation: SSteve F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    1/2 links are the Devil's spawn. Care to see the scar from the last one I destroyed?
    I have the same feelings about SRAM quick-links (x3 this year). I would like to believe it is my Jan Ulrich-like quads, sadly, I think the truth is I that bought a bad batch

    We should compare scares...although I don't know you well enough to show you one of them
    It's only pain......

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dgage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteve F
    I have the same feelings about SRAM quick-links (x3 this year). I would like to believe it is my Jan Ulrich-like quads, sadly, I think the truth is I that bought a bad batch

    We should compare scares...although I don't know you well enough to show you one of them
    There was a recall on some Sram quick-links. They were for the ten speed chain.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

  13. #13
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,971
    wouldn't chain tugs suffice?
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    107
    Ended up picking up Misfit tensioner from Dukes. It has Mr.Rogers and Big Bird on the packaging... It better be good!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •