Space for rent...

Nayagawa Trails, Oakville

I took a little ride around just before sunset a couple of nights ago. My son had wanted to take some photographs, and asked if he could tag along on my ride. We had bought him a DSLR camera for Christmas, and he really enjoys taking photos. He knows I ride a bunch of cool trails and figured I could guide him to some great locations he could shoot...he was right. About one hour before sunset, the lighting becomes special. Photographers call it "the golden hour".

Jon was actually the reason I got into biking about 8 years ago. At that time he was playing rep hockey and wanted to work on his fitness levels over the summer. For a couple of years we drove him to O-cup races, and most Tuesday nights you could catch us swatting mosquitoes at Kelso. He eventually discovered girls and beer (not necessarily in that order) and gave up riding, so Dad inherited a much upgraded GT bike. After years of being on the road and eating/drinking to excess, I figured it was time to lose the spare tire and get myself back into shape. Six bikes later and forty pounds lighter, I am totally hooked.

My son occasionally rides when he comes home from university and it is nice to just get out together and ride for riding’s sake. The other night, was one of those rides.

Enjoy the images...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (223.3 KB, 182 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (288.9 KB, 193 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (203.4 KB, 167 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (356.1 KB, 173 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (474.4 KB, 179 views)
    It's only pain......

Space for rent...

Some more pictures

...for your viewing pleasure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (309.5 KB, 154 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (375.5 KB, 163 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (327.9 KB, 157 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (417.3 KB, 158 views)
    • File Type: jpg 11.jpg (384.7 KB, 157 views)
    It's only pain......

rad to the power of sick
    ah yes.. I used to ride loops in there when I was in high school, then beer, girls and university dragged me to live in Guelph.

I kept my bike though.

Awesome pics, makes me nostalgic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Great photos. What are the Nayagawa trails like? I'm always looking for new places to explore.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteve F
    ...for your viewing pleasure.
    Great pics and story to boot. Always good to remember what go you out there. Inspiring to learn what got you back into it...
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by hurricanejoel
    Great photos. What are the Nayagawa trails like? I'm always looking for new places to explore.
    Most of the trails are wide and gravel covered and are used by a LOT of walkers/joggers/families etc. In a couple of places, there is a little singletrack that can combined with the main trails that can make for good training/recovery rides. As the trails are on both sides of the ravine as well as the floor itself, there are a couple of steep climbs that will get your heart pumping quickly. If combined with a couple of other trails around Oakville, you can put together a 2+ hour ride.
    It's only pain......

bi-winning
    looks good.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Evil Jr.
    Hey, where's the access point for those trails? I'm guessing that's Sixteen Mile Creek? I've always suspected there were trails down there; I've just never taken the time to look around.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Hey, where's the access point for those trails? I'm guessing that's Sixteen Mile Creek? I've always suspected there were trails down there; I've just never taken the time to look around.
    Tis indeed Sixteen Mile Creek...

There are multiple access points along Nayagawa between Dundas and Upper Middle, as well as West Oak Trails/Fourth Line. Perhaps to easiest place is via Lions Valley park, however they are working on the bridge that crosses Dundas, so the park itself is closed and parking now is somewhat limited.
    It's only pain......

Looking for Adventure
    Nice!
    Never ridden there, but have done some trail running, Geocaching (with the kids), one adventure race, and general exploring. Great remote feeling gem close to the city! Before the 407, there was a local road that dipped down into the valley and back up again, where I used to take the road bike. I hear the bridge is still there even though it is not maintained......Glenorchy bridge I think it was called.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Nice!
    Never ridden there, but have done some trail running, Geocaching (with the kids), one adventure race, and general exploring. Great remote feeling gem close to the city! Before the 407, there was a local road that dipped down into the valley and back up again, where I used to take the road bike. I hear the bridge is still there even though it is not maintained......Glenorchy bridge I think it was called.
    The area you are talking about is north of Dundas and you are right, it has a ton of potential. The river is a spur off Sixteen Mile Creek. From what I remember, the ATV's had destroyed most of the trails and they were severely rutted. I used to ride the area a couple of years ago but gave up because it became unrideable. The upper trails were so narrow, they resembled a letter W, with the ruts being 18 to 24 inches deep and being filled with mud/water spring/fall or after rain (and took a long time to dry out). If you tried ride the centre or edges you would end-up sliding into the goop.

That bridge is still in place, and they have trails in both directions that criss-cross the river multiple times as well as one that follows the south ridge out to the east. Apparently the river is quite sensitive, as fish spawn in the area, so multiple crossings of the river could cause a problem. From what I remember, the trails are well used (ATV's and horses) so I am sure the damage had already been done, but still...

Haven't been there in a couple of years, but may check it out again this weekend. Sounds like a good excuse to ride with the boy and go take some more photos.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=&source...,0.038624&z=15
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you are looking for some actual trails continue riding West along Upper Middle Road all the way to the end (just past Hwy 25). Before entering Bronte Creek Park there is a trail to the left that you can take which ultimately follows the creek. It is mostly single track and is in pretty good shape right now. It is basically and out and back trail that takes about 30 mins to do....I know....not long, but at least it is trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Great story and thanks for the trail info. Always looking for new leads.
    Yet at same time makes me a touch sad. My son and I go out a lot,(we're heading out to Hilton today so he can try out his new bars and me on my new Nomad) he's just 11 but discovering beer and girls though may seem far off, really is just around the corner.
    As parents we all know how time flies except when you're a kid. Hey at least it got you into shape and when he's home you guys get to do stuff like this. Love photography too second to riding.
    Cheers