Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Nationals course

Since I was asked to provide a quick review of the course, here is my take on the Sport course (course C):

The first half is really nice, flowy and fast. You might wonder what is the big deal, but soon you get your answer and it starts with the Joyride feature where you have to make a small gap jump into a smooth transition. It is however intimidating and I can see many riders taking the alternate route. Hey, better live to ride another lap rather than kill yourself. I did the jump on the first lap and almost did an endo due to slow speed. The second lap I took the alternate route and I realized it is much slower. The third lap I found my manhood, and did the jump again. Then I did it 5 more times, to ensure my manhood remains with me.

So after this feature the fitness section of the course starts and it continues to the end. There are some good climbs, nice technical riding and good places to pass (or be passed). Most technical features provide some alternate route that might cost you a bit of time. I think this is the right approach since not everyone is willing to risk it.

The course is standard Hardwood Hills Canada Cup stuff minus the Boneshaker, which we did in past years on singlespeed. But this year single speed and Sport do the same course.

Even if you don't plan to race, ride the course because it is fun, technical and represents the best of XC riding.
    Last edited by serious; 07-02-2013 at 03:43 AM.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Nationals course

Thanks for the early update on the course. Looking forward to getting up there to preride it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    That sounds excellent! I'm excited!!
    Thanks for the review, serious.

Lemmy Rules!
    Thanks Tom. I will ensure I bring my cojones with me....
    Strava made me do it....

All my faucets is Moen.

Re: Nationals course

I was up riding it on Sunday. A tough course physically because the climbing and a fun course technically.

Serious is right, there are easy options that will cost time (including Deena's Joyride) but I don't think there is anything that cant be worked out with a preride. I suppose the tricky part will be cleaning them while exhausted.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Great course, fast and has some great technical parts, that rock drop they put before the boneshaker was turning heads when I was there for sure!

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Unkown View Post
    Great course, fast and has some great technical parts, that rock drop they put before the boneshaker was turning heads when I was there for sure!
    prerode the course - and like it. Wish we did more of the Elite course, except for that rock. Those that have enough skills - make it look really easy. However - few guys ate it large so far.

I like the Joyride section with the wooden berm and a couple of jumps before it. Nice opportunity to catch some air. I didn't think climbing was an issue in the second half of the course, though the "grunt" will cause some pain towards the end. The good thing about it that it is close to the end of the lap... Loved the coffee run, as always.

We were lucky today - no rain at all in the morning, unlike just few KMs south and in the GTA.
    Signature

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Evil Jr.
    That does look like a pretty big rock! :O
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I predict some investing in new drive train components will occur courtesy of this section.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Not going to lie...I was afraid to try it. :-/

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That video makes it look so easy - just a little drop, then pop your front tire over the log and you're on with the rest of your day. Standing there looking at it, I'm kind of glad I'm running the Sport category.

mtbr member
    I went back on Saturday to do the course on my singlespeed bike (the previous weekend I did it with gears and front suspension using my GF Superfly). I did 5 laps, no walking anywhere and that grunt climb was very hard.

Only 1 lap was done at race pace (that would be 28.5 minutes for me) and by the time I reached the grunt climb I thought I was going to pass out. Walking may be faster and easier. But that won't be a problem for me. This time I am racing with gears in my own age group (50-54). Let's call it an experiment in sanity.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

It just became easier for Emily

Pendrel's blog has a photo of Catherine in a sling, she broke her collarbone. So it's the battle for 2nd place at Sudbury & Barrie

mtbr member
    Finally got the chance to pre-ride last night.

I really enjoyed it. In the absence of being a national of champion, at least I shall have fun and leave with a smile on my face.

The joy-ride section is super-duper fun. The wall ride is buttery smooth and lets you rail right out of there.

There are a couple little steep ups toward the end. Not much of an option but to just hammer them. If I ain't feeling them by the last lap, then I didn't push myself enough.

Can't wait till Sat/Sun (both spectating and racing)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    To those of you racing this weekend - have fun, good luck and suffer well!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Finally got the chance to pre-ride last night.
    How was the big rock of doom?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    How was the big rock of doom?
    There are 4 significant 'rocks' in the course. Sometimes it's hard to know which is which.

Rock 1 - The joyride rock jump. This is at the end of Coffee-run. You ride up onto a rock, then it's small gap drop to a smooth transition. This is followed by two little jumps after, then into the wall ride. This was all good. It's pretty intimidating when you first look at it. It appears the rock is going to send you off into the abyss. But once you approach it, you barely notice you leave the ground. I think this is in Courses A (elite), C (sport), D (expert)

Rock 1 - 'Endo Rock'. Me thinks this is in courses A, C and D as well. This is a big rock up and over. I approached it on my first lap actually thinking there would be a ride down the back side (I never caught the name). There wasn't, I left a few scraps on the rock from my chain(rings) and had a nice ballerina dismount when I went to crest it. I looked at it for a second from the other side and realized, since you went straight up, then it was essentially straight down 2 ft on the other side to flat, it was a disaster waiting to happen for me. Notably with race noggin. Ride around didn't seem much longer. So that's a no go.

Rock of Doom - I think this is the entry to the top of bone shaker for only the A course. I looked at it, but given I didn't have much time and it wasn't in my course, didn't spend any time on it. EDIT: This is the one in the video below.

Rockgarden - There is a tricky little rock garden near to the feed zones (coming in the second time). It starts with two rather large rocks that are placed about 20 inches apart. Just enough to trap a wheel. There are a few rocks after the second rock, plus a slight corner. It seems like if you gave it a little jump off the first one, you could clear on the second one. The problem is, you need enough speed, but then you have to contest with the other rocks and the bit of a corner. I went in to slow, got my front wheel over, but the back one didn't have enough and smashed it pretty hard. I tried a second time as there's a bit of another line in sideways, but it wasn't smooth at all. Made a decision that I'll take the extra 2 seconds on the ride around.

Other notable features in the D course were.

- Long skinny as one line, or a ride around. Cleaned it just fine both times, but curious what happens when my heart rate is 20 beats higher.

- Large diagonal, downhill log-over into a wooden bridge. No issues, and I was actually riding behind a guy who did the ride around and I certainly carried way more speed out of that section.

- Lower boneshaker. Bumpy, but fine. Certainly takes skill to ride it at speed, but if you take it easy, not much about it.

- Speed bumps at the end of the dual course. They are mildly awkward, with spacing.

mtbr member

Evil Jr.
    I guess taken on their own, those don't look too terrible but on laps 3,4 and/or 5, I bet it could get all kinds of messy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I agree with all sydor said. Risk reward wasnt high enough on endo drop for me. I did find the diagonal log a little troublesome just due to lining up the small bridge after it.

The joyride section makes me feel like a star! Lol. All in all the best race course I have been on. Loved the high speed and technical bits mixed in.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Just a heads up. Just saw there is a Tornado alert for north of the Barrie area right now.

Tornado watch issued for parts of central Ontario - Canada - CBC News

Keep safe guys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Really nasty up my way too. Was working at sauble beach today and was about to go for s end of work swim and with in 5 min it got really scary.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Really nasty up my way too. Was working at sauble beach today and was about to go for s end of work swim and with in 5 min it got really scary.
    Yikes, it looks like a great big red blob of death on radar.

Supposed to blow through here this evening. You can literally see the cold front sweeping south.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Took that as it rolled in. Perfectly sunny just moments before

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast