Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lemmy Rules!

Nationals apology

If you were at the Nationals today, you might have seen me or heard about me. And I was not at my best. And for that I am sorry.

Another rider laid a very sketchy pass on me. Specifically, he passed me within less than 2 bike lengths of the gap jump in the joyride section. After I said something like "wait until after the jump to pass". The result was me having to brake as he came across in front of me, not having enough speed to make the gap, and crashing. It was a dangerous, foolhardy, and totally offside move on this other rider's part.

None of which excuses what happened next. I was furious, bleeding and adrenaline was running high. So I reacted with a string of F bombs and other choice words. When I looked up, I saw there were a number of young children within earshot. I was, of course, in full team kit, with sponsors names and logos all over my jersey and shorts.

I know how I would feel as a parent if my son were to witness a display like this. Or even worse, if my wife and son had come up to watch. Frankly I am mortified by my behaviour and wish to apologize to my team, my sponsors and everyone who witnessed my ridiculous temper tantrum. You may all rest assured that I will do everything in my power to make sure this sort of thing never happens again.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    kudos to you for stepping forward & offering your apologies. I can't imagine there's anyone on here that hasn't reacted in a similar fashion to a situation such as this. As far as the expletives uttered, I'm certain if these kids have been to events like this in the past (unfortunately) they've heard far worse from spectators at these events.

mtbr member
    Yup...those things happen. It takes a man to come forward like this.
    In my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I witnessed a few bad passes on the expert race in the same area. It really messes up the guy in the back having to loose the speed needed to clear the gap.

Good on you for owning up to the heat of the moment behaviour, that we are probably guilty of at some point.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Kudos, well said Unglued. That would have been upsetting to anyone. It really is refreshing to hear a sincere acknowledgement of a wrong, and the apology. There isn't enough of this in life, on or off the bike.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Kudos, well said Unglued. That would have been upsetting to anyone. It really is refreshing to hear a sincere acknowledgement of a wrong, and the apology. There isn't enough of this in life, on or off the bike.
    Hey Barry,

just bring beer on Tuesday to make up for bringing 9 beers the other Tuesday which is way worse than this...

The only apology needed was on the spot - which I am sure you administered promptly. With your English accent - everyone realized you are a true gentleman. Most of the times.

I think I pulled this move on Guy again. I was told I passed him while both of us were airborne. I hope there will be pictures.

Both of us were ok. Unfortunately for me, as Guy passed me on the next climb.

Signature

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Merdoff View Post
    kudos to you for stepping forward & offering your apologies. I can't imagine there's anyone on here that hasn't reacted in a similar fashion to a situation such as this. As far as the expletives uttered, I'm certain if these kids have been to events like this in the past (unfortunately) they've heard far worse from spectators at these events.
    speaking from your own experience ma'am? did you ever use choice words while in the saddle?

let's turn this into "confessions of provoked jerks anonymous" thread
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Don't worry about it man! I am sure all the parents who saw that go down understood your frustration - not gonna lie I would of done the same thing if I were you - **** happens when your mad!

I admit I have laid a few dirty (but safe) passes before, but that is down right dangerous, even more so since you called it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Well, at least you know for next time to keep your cool. In the end, it is just a sport and a bunch of guys having a good time riding bikes. Hopefully the guy who knocked you off can figure out that you're no supposed to get to the finish line first at all costs!

I'm just a sport rider and I've come "extremely" close to giving faster riders, who "push" their way through passes, a good shoulder.

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Kudos for steping up! Funny how I always meet some jerks at Hardwood.

Next time though, you might want to change your tagline before posting your apology

And that is a big smiley. I thought it was funny. Strava made me do it. Indeed.

mtbr member
    Great post Barry, even though I doubt that many riders would be able to keep their cool under the circumstances. I probably would have gone ballistic also ... no scratch that, I would have gone ballistic.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    if i would have known their was going to be scraps and witty banter i would have stayed the weekend . No one will even remember Kates having her baby
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

Lemmy Rules!
    Thank you everyone for your support. Your kind words notwithstanding i will keep it PG13 in the future.

As an interesting side note, I Just checked the race photos and the dodgy pass was caught on film. I also now have th other riders name and plate number. Not that it excuses my reaction but I must admit to being somewhat pleased to see that he DNF'ED after one lap.
    Strava made me do it....

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Thank you everyone for your support. Your kind words notwithstanding i will keep it PG13 in the future.

As an interesting side note, I Just checked the race photos and the dodgy pass was caught on film. I also now have th other riders name and plate number. Not that it excuses my reaction but I must admit to being somewhat pleased to see that he DNF'ED after one lap.
    Film!!! Or it didn't happen.
    Signature

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    if i would have known their was going to be scraps and witty banter i would have stayed the weekend . No one will even remember Kates having her baby
    Kate?

who is she?

seriously...
    Signature

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post

First question is..is he local? If so when will the rematch occur?
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Where did you find pictures?

Lemmy Rules!
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Barry, you meant Sportszone's Photos, no? I bought my pics already.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nationals apology-image.jpg  

My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Barry, you meant Sportszone's Photos, no? I bought my pics already.
    Yep, that's right. Looking good!
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Good photos....I really need to learn to NOT look like its my first time on a bike for pictures. It would be hard for me to put these pictures out when I look like I have just seen a ghost lol.

I can see how the incedent took place. I can tell you are yelling at him.....it appears he was giving you the finger too ...what went around came around for him.

At first I thought it was a teamate of mine that did the bad pass but I think he just came up in the aftermath. Looks like he almost ate it as a result.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I checked the pic - he looks like a roadie dick, typical move for a pavement masher taken out of his element and placed in the dirt.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Kate?

who is she?

seriously...
    Have you been living under a rock?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Bored
    Shameful pass
    Last edited by bigwheelboy_490; 07-23-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Evil Jr.
    That does look like a *REALLY* inadvisable pass. Boo!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast