mtbr member

Good job! My Winter ride slightly Modified.

My 96 Grumpy Stumpy Slightly modified for winter fun , went for a ride in an about a 1-1/4 inch of trail snow and frozen noggies , it was a buzz love it , nearly wiped out in to a metal trail sign but tires grabbed in time and i hit a frozen puddle under the snow and broke threw and went into a hairy ride,,, but was straighten out.Any ways hears a picture before it snowed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Winter ride slightly Modified.-p1000173-1-.jpg  

My Winter ride slightly Modified.-p1000172-3-.jpg  

13 On One Fatty
    08 YETI 575 BLK. C.King Hubs/Hadley
    96 Specialized Stump Jumper FS Tweaked

namagomi
    Nice rims... you need a bigger frame so you can slap some real fatties on there.

On a side-note, some ice-spiker pro - 2.35 are good... though banned from hilton falls after some biologist hired by hiker and conservation area came in(for a day as i never heard of a study) and said studded bicycle tires are a threat to the rocks and trees.(didn't look like picture of nature found in textbook) lol... no wonder conservative types get so pissed off at tree huggers. Lets hope nobody breaks a hip over some scraped up tree roots and rocks. Geeze... look at me! /ranting at the idiocracy again.

mtbr member
    Thanks electrik, I'm thinking of doing some work to the rear to see if i can get 3 " tire in , but its may not be worth the trouble , The rims are 47mm wide single wall with pillar spokes 2.0-1.5- 2.0 ,Novatec hubs. I was going to get a custom titanium fat frame made, but i want wait to see how this does on the semi hard pack, i may be happy with it between back counrtry sking with the odd day biking.
    13 On One Fatty

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by TRAIL CRANKER View Post
    Thanks electrik, I'm thinking of doing some work to the rear to see if i can get 3 " tire in , but its may not be worth the trouble , The rims are 47mm wide single wall with pillar spokes 2.0-1.5- 2.0 ,Novatec hubs. I was going to get a custom titanium fat frame made, but i want wait to see how this does on the semi hard pack, i may be happy with it between back counrtry sking with the odd day biking.
    There are big differences to be had, by far the worst part of winter biking is frozen footprint and icy downhills. The larger the tire the easier it is... unfortunately putting studs in a gigantic tire results in one really heavy tire!! Have to balance the two.

I'd be really surprise if you can fit 3" tire in there.... you don't need custom TI either Surly and salsa sell regular ol' steel fat bike which is a good idea IMO if budget is a concern.

mtbr member
    Another great budget option would be a aluminum Fatback.Cheaper and lighter than the steel offerings.
    Adam

mtbr member
    Thanks guys i have looked at almost every fat bike builder, i probably would go with Aluminum frame ,my Stumpy in the picture is 15 year old 6061 aluminum frame and with the heavier wheelset is 30lbs. I was going to do some cutting and welding to the rear and BB , but again that may not happen i know of the pitfuls and effects if rewelding aluminum and and how it effects the strength of alloy .
    13 On One Fatty

humber river advocate
    part of the fun is experimenting with setups, you don't need studded tires in snow. on ice yes, wish nokian still made their long studded dh version that was deemed to dangerous...
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    That reminds i have a brand new set of Nokian studded tires from last year never put the on i believe they are the 2.1 tires . I was buzzing down a snowmobile atv trail and hit a frozen rounded tire rut and front tire started slidding out from underneath me ,,i was going about 15mph and new i was going down and looked for soft place to land , i thought for sure i was going to hit 3 inch round tree but stopped before it. It didn't even faze the bike or me , just carried on.I need to take more air out of my tires for a bigger foot print , still playing with the new set up.
    13 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    part of the fun is experimenting with setups, you don't need studded tires in snow. on ice yes, wish nokian still made their long studded dh version that was deemed to dangerous...
    last week up at dufferin forest in mansfield ,had tha tires just over 20psi and was pleasantly surprised at the traction in the snow

Evil Jr.
    IMHO, tire pressure is key to having fun in the winter. I run sub-20 in 2.35s and it's sweet in everything but deep powder or gross, thick slush. We don't get a ton of ice so that's not a major concern but it shows up in pretty predictable spots so you just tip-toe through when you get there.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

namagomi
    Schwable ice spiker pros are not as aggressively studded and are 2.35... but 1.5lbs each.

Also, if you find some decent clear ice(lake, pond or even river) it's fun to haul ass. Last year there was a nice melt in late january(?) that left lakes almost clear but ice allover the trails.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Schwable ice spiker pros are not as aggressively studded and are 2.35... but 1.5lbs each.
    The 695 gram ones are the 2.1's. The 2.35's are about 850g per.

Which is still reasonable light for a massive 360-stud tubeless tire.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    The 695 gram ones are the 2.1's. The 2.35's are about 850g per.

Which is still reasonable light for a massive 360-stud tubeless tire.
    Oh yes.

The 29r version is 890gram! That is almost a 2lb tire.. plus a 29r wheel is already heavier!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Falling onto clear ice hurts, but isn't TOO bad. Last winter I went down on some slick ice, landed and slid on my knees right into a large chunk of broken ice that had re frozen protruding 2" above the sheet. I was walking funny for a week. Happy I didn't break my kneecap.

Putting my Nokian WXC 300s on the winter wheels this week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What wheels are those? I've been looking for some in the 44-47mm width.

mtbr member

Rockman SL

Quote Originally Posted by fstfrd15 View Post
    What wheels are those? I've been looking for some in the 44-47mm width.
    Rockman SL 47mm Wide -26" Single Wall 32H Spoke Offset is symetrical,609 grams without rim tape. $50. US+ shipping.To Can.
    13 On One Fatty