Nice day for a ride.....

My Muskoka Mini-Adventure [o]

After years of wanting to get up to the Muskoka area to ride I finally did it today. I had the day off from work and was inspired by some of BlackCanoeDog's wonderful photos. I made the 3 1/2 hour trip this morning driving through some rain storms that I hoped would not ruin my ride and arrived at Buckwallow about 11:30 am. The skies were overcast but the rain had stopped before I got there. As I pulled into the parking lot I was greeted by a young fellow handing out trail passes, I also got a map and some area info, being a noob to Buckwallow and all, and set out onto the trails.

Conditions were good, the sandy soil had soaked up all the rain but the roots and rocks were a little slick. The trails are excellent and I only had trouble with a few spots on the 5 "hoof" sections of trail.

Into the trails!

I happened to notice that alot of the rock in this area has what looks like quartz veins running through it, really neat.

After my fill at Buckwallow I decided that a visit to Torrance Barrens was in order. I can't even begin to describe this place, its so huge and open with rock everywhere. No pictures I've seen have done the area justice, you have to see it yourself to really experience it.

I'm not sure why it took me many years to finally get up here and ride but you can bet that I'll be back again soon to see more of the area by bike.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

bi-winning
    Wait, that's not a GT.

Those pictures were not taken with a Sony NEX-5.

I'm just given' ya a hard time. It sounds like you had a fantastic little adventure. Thanks for sharing.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    Wait, that's not a GT.

Those pictures were not taken with a Sony NEX-5.

I'm just given' ya a hard time. It sounds like you had a fantastic little adventure. Thanks for sharing.
    Nope, GT was thrown under the bus for Cannondale when I was shopping for a 29er

It certainly was a great time, a must do for anyone who has not already.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Awwhhh man ,,,, I was off today too Eric .......* kicks ground

Evil Jr.
    That looks like it was an awesome day! Any favourite trails at Buck?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey RatchAttack, do you remember which trail the following photo is from? Perhaps BCD or NearNorth may recognize it if not.

Great photos. After my first visit in July, I too wondered why it took me so long to venture the hour north of here to ride there.

Quote Originally Posted by RatchAttack View Post

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    That looks like it was an awesome day! Any favourite trails at Buck?
    I can't say that any one is better than another, but Missing Link was pretty fun

Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    Awwhhh man ,,,, I was off today too Eric .......* kicks ground
    Sorry Craig, maybe you'd like to come ride TP on Sunday???

Quote Originally Posted by Mudhead View Post
    Hey RatchAttack, do you remember which trail the following photo is from? Perhaps BCD or NearNorth may recognize it if not.

Great photos. After my first visit in July, I too wondered why it took me so long to venture the hour north of here to ride there.
    Its from West D'Nile
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member

That's the little rock climb on West D'nile (some people may call it Broken shoulder boulder)

mtbr member
    How did you like the 29er hardtail at Buckwallow?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Curious what folks think about Torrance Barrens and how kid friendly it might be ... my guys (5&6) do well riding rocks elsewhere just don't go for long (5k max) or handle big hills well. I've been wanting to get there for a while (checking out BCD and other's pictures has helped) and it looks like going with the kids is the most likey route. We have a blast riding the rocks at Killbear every year, this looks like a more complete trail system on a similar landscape but grander scale.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by wankel View Post
    How did you like the 29er hardtail at Buckwallow?
    Works great, I'm a complete 29er convert
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I always enjoyed 'Missing Link' as well. It has a taste of rock, roots and flow packed into a nice length trail.

I have always by-passed 'West D-Nile' figuring my skill level is not quite enough to managed that trail. I will attempt it next time there (tomorrow if the weather forecast holds).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evil Jr.
    I have always by-passed 'West D-Nile' figuring my skill level is not quite enough to managed that trail. I will attempt it next time there (tomorrow if the weather forecast holds).
    West D-Nile is tough so be sure to be scanning for places to "West Coast Bail" just to be on the safe side.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    West D-Nile is tough so be sure to be scanning for places to "West Coast Bail" just to be on the safe side.
    It's one of those trails in which confidence plays as much or even more of a role than skill.
    My version of the west coast bail is to push down hard on the handle bars as you start to go over, do the splits and vault to a standup landing. Saved me once from going for a swim in October on the Cornell Lake trail
    Ratch...real happy to see you finally got here
    From The Barrens: Day becomes Night
    From The Barrens: Day becomes Night

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    My version of the west coast bail is to push down hard on the handle bars as you start to go over, do the splits and vault to a standup landing.
    I heard one of the judges only gave you a 4 on that routine.

Muskoka
    I heard one of the judges only gave you a 4 on that routine.
    Probably lost points for being so stupid as to roll off a ledge into a big puddle thinking " ...how deep can it be?" only to discover it was about 2 ft deep!!

17. Similar Threads

1. red leaves muskoka
      By want to ride in forum Eastern Canada
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 06-11-2012, 08:01 AM
    2. Muskoka Bicycle Festival
      By BlackCanoeDog in forum Eastern Canada
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 05-23-2011, 04:48 PM
    3. BRMC Muskoka [pov]
      By BlackCanoeDog in forum Eastern Canada
      Replies: 3