Thread: My Mohican 100!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

My Mohican 100!

Well, the weather looked cold and rainy for the weekend again, foiling our plans of heading down home to the Ottawa Valley for a dirt biking/ATV/mountain biking weekend. What else was new. Every time my husband has a vacation the weather goes to crap.

What else to do but follow the sun down to Ohio to partake in the Mohican 100m/100km mountain bike endurance race? Wonder if I could talk my husband into it. Oh honey!!!!

I wanted to get some miles in and riding the same Waterloo roads is already losing it's appeal, the HC trails were soaked and the same trails are getting old. Road trip!!!
    We start packing on Thursday at 8, get to bed at 12am and get up at 5am. Great start. Gotta love last second decisions.

I wimped out and chose to do the 100km course, not sure what kind of legs I had left from last weeks 8 hour solo race at Mansfield. I had a hard time recovering from Mansfield. Guess I must have really pushed myself in a race more then usual.

After 8 hours on the road, we rolled into the Mohican Adventure campground, where the race finishes, and got a lovely campsite nestled into the hillside of the mountain. No bugs!!! And it was WARM out!! What more could we ask for?

A paved path headed down from the campground into Loudenville, where the race started downtown under a big banner.

This race allows day before walk up registration. A good thing for indecisive people like me. Hmmmm, not as organized at registration as the Chico races, but not too bad.
    I hopped on my bike and decided to preride a bit of the course to wake my legs up and see what was in store for tomorrow.
    I came back to the camp site an hour later with a big smile on my face. I couldn't wait for the morning to come. I had a feeling I was going to be in for a treat.
    We had just finished setting up the tent when it began to rain. Nooooooo!

Race day morning. I sleep in a bit. Get up. Have a fig newton, a cup of coffee and a packet of oatmeal an hour before the race starts. I was on my own this race, no husband at the Aid Stations, as I told him to just go and enjoy the day with the kids. I stuffed my huge Camelbak that I won at Crank the Sheild last fall, with Accelerade, fruit bars, tire levers (how do you use those things?) an allen key set, lube,a pump, and then stuffed my jersey pockets with gels, electrolytes, and jelly beans, and most importantly, my cell phone.

Chucked a bottle of water in my bike cage and was ready to roll. This was a self-supported event and no one can help you. For the first time ever I was on my own. I'd have a lot of walking to do if anything went wrong.

It was a bit chilly at 7 in the morning so I got a drive to the start as I had forgot to pack my arm warmers. Duh. Started at the back, my fave place to start. I was there just to ride, so I wasn't a bit nervous about getting a fast start, or how I was going to place. The gun went off and away we went!

It was one of the most AMAZING courses I have ever biked. Like riding Mansfield, Albion, Kelso, Hardwood Hills, the Paris to Ancaster, and Elliot Lake all in one day!!! I rode the entire 100kms without a wipe out. Chatting it up with fellow riders, blasting down hills, not knowing what the heck was waiting for me around the corners, splashing through a handful of creek crossings, and best of all, my legs didn't burn once!!! I was in my "zone" and loving every second of it. I cheered on Tinker as he and the other pro men riders who were doing the 100 miler blasted by me.

The only other time I enjoyed a course so much was the final day of Crank The Sheild. Except the Crank the Sheild course was marked to perfection and the Mohican had a few spots that left me and a few other riders guessing which way to go. The Chico crew really have their sh#t together, I tell ya.

The one Aid Station I stopped at had a hose, and a misting fan to cool riders down that I just had to stop at every time a went by. I was roasting. There were cut up bananas, chips and a lot of other things to eat. A lady came up to me right away and asked if I needed anything and filled up my Camelbak for me. Pretty sweet! I hopped back on my bike after that and felt totally refreshed.

I crossed the finish line 7 hours and 9 minutes later, in fifth place only 30 seconds behind the 4th place woman. Darn it, I should have had my computer on my bike. I could have given it the last few kms and given her a run for her money! I still had some pep left in my legs. I later found out she knew I was behind her and was giving it her all to keep in front of me. Oh well, there is always next year. I was extremely happy with how I rode the race. Must have been my lucky Crank the Sheild jersey that I was wearing.

When we crossed the finish line we were handed a nice beer glass with Mohican 100 on it and had our picture taken. My husband enjoyed the free beer instead of me. He earned it. No easy job taking care of two kids and two dogs all day long.

The draw prizes were sweet! I think the announcer got tired of calling out names of people who had already left, so he just started going down the finishers list. For coming in 5th place I got to go up and pick out a prize. I chose a 140 dollar pair of womens Cannondale shorts! An endurance racer can never have enough shorts! Then he started chucking around water bottles, chamois butter. I was like over here, over here and caught some lube, and a pair of socks. A good haul if I don't say so myself. He also gave away a lot of gas cards for people that had driven the furthest distance away. Nice.

All in all a perfect way to spend the a weekend, the only flaw being both my children getting food poisoning from hot dogs and throwing up all over the tent the night of the race.

Now, I wonder if I should start hinting about doing the Wilderness 101. Oh honey!!!
    Last edited by racergurl; 06-02-2009 at 07:55 AM.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by racergurl

My husband enjoyed the free beer instead of me. He earned it. No easy job taking care of two kids and two dogs all day long.
    Good to hear. I had 3 kids with me at the Fall Epic 8 while my wife went solo, and most people there felt I had the tougher day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm sure your wife appreciates you just as much as I appreciate all of my husband's support. Hope you get a nice big gift for Fathers Day!!
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    I'm sure your wife appreciates you just as much as I appreciate all of my husband's support. Hope you get a nice big gift for Fathers Day!!
    I get to do Lake to Lake! (she will too - we have babysitting in St.Catharines)

Muskoka
    Good race! I like that attitude of starting at the back and there just to ride and have a good time...and then still finishing 5th All that boring road must have paid off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yeah, it felt weird not being concerned about a warm up, getting a good spot up front where I would be stressed out and not caring who my competition was. Quite refreshing actually!
    There were twenty women racing in the 100 km course and I think 18 in the 100 mile course. Makes one wonder why there are so few women participating in endurance events up here in Canada.
    Some great pics of the race are up in the Endurance Forum.
    Now, where to ride today?
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Nice report racergurl and congratulations on a strong finish (not to mention the nice podium at the Spring 8 Hour race).

So are you doing the Marathon series at Mansfield next weekend? I am seriously considering it although I might have to just do the Half Marathon.

I was very sick and missed the Canada Cup and decided to skip Boler also because I have not been on the bike in 10 days. But the next O-Cup is far off, so I am thinking about the Marathon.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks serious. Hope you are feeling much better. Being sick sucks anytime but even more so in the middle of race season.

I say get your butt out there and do the half marathon. Mansfield is always a blast!

As for myself, I will have to do a whole lot of sweet talkin to get my husband to give me the okay to race this weekend. I kinda mentioned that I would skip the second marathon race if he let me do the Mohican 100. Money is tight these days. I also want to do the Wilderness 101 in PA in August. Not sure what to do! So many decisions!
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Hey racergurl, I can understand your position. You have great support from your man, so you may need to compromise on this one. But I will miss getting "chiked" by you.

I had a decent ride on Sunday at Albion. I did the black loop twice (49.5km) in 3:04 hours, which is quite reasonable for me. I am sore like hell today. The singlespeed, rigid ride is so damn hard on my body. But I am encouraged by how little fitness I lost. Marathon distance is looking good for me right now.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

bi-winning
    Hey racergurl, I finally got around to reading your report. Based on your description of the course, it sounded like a great race. I always enjoy hearing about the races that don't involve the courses that most of us are used to racing. Congratulations on the strong finish.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Love reading your race reps too

Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Hey racergurl, I finally got around to reading your report. Based on your description of the course, it sounded like a great race. I always enjoy hearing about the races that don't involve the courses that most of us are used to racing. Congratulations on the strong finish.
    Thanks rkj!

I was thinking of all my biking buddies who would have loved the course too. Could have been a bit more technical, but I'll take 2 and a half hours of pure flowing single track, that made up the first 20+ miles, any day. I was glad I had my Camelbak on, otherwise I wouldn't have had time to even take my water bottle out of the cage.
    If the weather is looking good next year I'm going back for the 100 miler. Course would have been BRUTAL in bad weater.
    High on Life