Student

Good job! My first bike build.

So I built my first bike a couple of weeks ago. I picked up a new frame from pricepoint for $101 with all taxes included and no duty . The frame came out to be 4.1lbs. I swapped out all the parts from my old frame with the exception of the 8" rotor, large chain ring , cables and housing and handlebar. I replaced them with a 6" roundagon rotor form avid, Ritchey pro handlebar, Kore cables and housing and a Shimano LX large chain ring. Its turned out to be a rather cheap build by most standards. The most amazing part is the whole bike with all the goodies (pump, tool kit, water bottle) weighs in at 25lbs. I did not expect it to be that light. I only put about $200 cdn into making this bike. I am so happy with how it turned out. Enjoy the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE="3"]The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado[/SIZE]

dirt roadie
    That looks nice Rick! I remember back in the summer you were talking about doing a build...bet you can't wait to get that beast on the trails.

Student
    Oh man. You have no idea!!!!!
    I can't wait for spring!!!
    [SIZE="3"]The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado[/SIZE]

bi-winning
    Good stuff. I'm sure you will appreciate the lighter frame when you finally hit the trails. Building bikes is pretty fun eh?

Did you order an extra deraileur hanger? With your luck in the past, i figure it might be a good idea to have one on hand. It would suck to have to wait two weeks for them to ship you one in the middle of prime riding season, as there are no Sette dealers around . I should probably get a spare hanger for my bike too, but i forgot last time i stepped foot into a Giant dealer.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Good stuff. I'm sure you will appreciate the lighter frame when you finally hit the trails. Building bikes is pretty fun eh?

Did you order an extra deraileur hanger? With your luck in the past, i figure it might be a good idea to have one on hand. It would suck to have to wait two weeks for them to ship you one in the middle of prime riding season, as there are no Sette dealers around . I should probably get a spare hanger for my bike too, but i forgot last time i stepped foot into a Giant dealer.
    I have the tool to reline the hanger, but I'm sure a spare would not hurt.

Bored
    Nice Build. You may have a few issues mixing the shifting from True Vativ and Shmano. Mostly noticable when shifting under load. The ramps just don't line up I've found.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

NormalNorm
    Looks good Rick......cant beat that price. You'll be quite faster with the new lighter bike, compared to your old one. How much did the older one weigh? Probably close to 30lbs, and you still rode the snot outta of it....

Man, how much snow you guys got in Niagara.....the news is calling for 50cm. Brutal.

bi-winning

I'm home for the weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by norm

Man, how much snow you guys got in Niagara.....the news is calling for 50cm. Brutal.
    ...we probably only have about 15-20 cm right now, but the worst is still on its way.
    Last edited by rkj__; 03-08-2008 at 07:51 AM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Student
    we are getting about 50 here in ptbo

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by norm
    Looks good Rick......cant beat that price. You'll be quite faster with the new lighter bike, compared to your old one. How much did the older one weigh? Probably close to 30lbs, and you still rode the snot outta of it....

Thing weighed about 30 lbs, just a tad over.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    Nice Build. You may have a few issues mixing the shifting from True Vativ and Shmano. Mostly noticable when shifting under load. The ramps just don't line up I've found.
    We'll see. It seems fine on the stand, but like you said, it will be a different story under load. I had different lg chain ring on it before and it caused no problem. The old frame came with a bash guard. I swapped it out for a 44t ring, I had no problems.

mtbr member
    Rick, I tried to order that frame in full suspension and Price Point told me they do not ship to Canada. How did you get around that or are they shipping frames now to Canada?
    Can you let me know as those frames have great reviews and don't cost that much.............a great deal!

Thanks,

ride .............. till you die!
    BURN IT UP >>>>>>>>PEDALOCTANE>>>>>>>

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by PedalOctaneManager
    Rick, I tried to order that frame in full suspension and Price Point told me they do not ship to Canada. How did you get around that or are they shipping frames now to Canada?
    Can you let me know as those frames have great reviews and don't cost that much.............a great deal!

Thanks,

ride .............. till you die!
    I used my Niagara Falls address but just put Niagara Falls, New York instead of Niagara Falls, Ontario. I gave a bogus Zip code as well. So UPS can't find that addy in the states so they hold it at the UPS shipping center in Niagara Falls, New York. They always give you a call giving you 2 choices. 1) give them a new american address or 2) Go pick it up from the shipping center. They hold it for 10 days before sending it back to Pricepoint. I found this out by accident when I was going to have my fox fork shipped to my Uncles addy, but they screwed it up so I found out this method. I do it this way cause you can get away without paying duty, if a) you don't claim or b) you get a nice person at the border back into Canada which doesn't make you pay. (which happenend to me with the frame) Also it cuts down on shipping costs, due to our strong dollar and how cheap it is to send stuff within the states and it is F-A-S-T!!!!

Nice day for a ride.....
    looking good!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hey Rick, I hope this bike will get you faster. It must be dissapointing to be slower than the fat guy. Joke aside, good job, the bike look good...see you on the trail

Made in Canada
    Looks really good! Just wondering though, I was looking at frames on pricepoint earlier last year and they said they wouldn't ship to Canada, but I know they recently got a DHL shipping option. Just wondering if you actually got it sent to your door or if you had to send it somewhere in the states first... (more a curiousity thing seeing as I've recently built up a bike anyways)
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by jcr1
    It must be dissapointing to be slower than the fat guy.
    JC...is that you. Hows things. Slower than the fat guy...LOL.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by jcr1
    Hey Rick, I hope this bike will get you faster. It must be dissapointing to be slower than the fat guy. Joke aside, good job, the bike look good...see you on the trail
    That one gave me a real good laugh

Shorthills Cycling Club

Student
    Hahaha, it's tough to beat that. See you at the 8X12?

mtbr member
    This year's 8x12 is going to be off the hook! Especially because I won't have RKJ slowing me down this year! Just kidding.
    Dan
    Ontario, Canada

2007 Cannondale Scalpel 1
    2005 Cannondale Rush 1000
    2004 Cannondale Chase

bi-winning
    BTW rick, why didn't you use the ergons on the new build?

Shorthills Cycling Club

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    BTW rick, why didn't you use the ergons on the new build?
    With the flat bar the old ones felt more comfortable. I will see how it holds up in races. I may put the Ergons on later.