Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 138
  1. #1
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,705

    My Dream Bike...18 years later

    Back when I was a starving student, the bike I wanted and could not afford was a Rocky Mountain Blizzard. I have never owned one...until now.

    A colleague at work told me today that he had a 1994 Blizzard that he has not ridden in years and no longer has space for. He told me that it "needed some love" but that it was mine if I wanted it. And as I never owned one, I am going to take him up on this offer.

    The plan is to restore this cutting edge piece of mid 1990s mountain biking techology. I am not the greatest bike mechanic but what better way to learn? Pictures of Project Blizzard to hopefull follow (assuming my work colleague has not come to his senses...). Stay tuned...
    Strava made me do it....

  2. #2
    Dorkimus Prime
    Reputation: Biggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Back when I was a starving student, the bike I wanted and could not afford was a Rocky Mountain Blizzard. I have never owned one...until now.

    A colleague at work told me today that he had a 1994 Blizzard that he has not ridden in years and no longer has space for. He told me that it "needed some love" but that it was mine if I wanted it. And as I never owned one, I am going to take him up on this offer.

    The plan is to restore this cutting edge piece of mid 1990s mountain biking techology. I am not the greatest bike mechanic but what better way to learn? Pictures of Project Blizzard to hopefull follow (assuming my work colleague has not come to his senses...). Stay tuned...
    That was my first love to. There is a Hamiltonian on here, by the handle Bagpipes, who is the master of all thing Blizzard. He may, or may not, still frequent mtbr.

    Good on ya, Unglued. Good on ya.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,947
    1994?! Holy crap, that's old! I still have my 1997. It's my winter bike.
    Have fun if you get it. Looking forward to seeing it.

    Edit: Hey, I had a 1994 and it was stolen. It should be sorta grey with a rigid fork. Mine had a one piece bar with bar-ends. I loved that bar.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,527
    I love stories like these. Please post pics!!

  5. #5
    Gnarly
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,907
    My Rocky Mountain Blizzard was stolen around 1994... I always thought it ended up in Igor's chop shop. What colour is your "new" Blizzard?
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  6. #6
    I dd what you see there.
    Reputation: XLNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    766
    Good for you. Have fun with it!

    My dream bike from back then was a Mountain Cycle San Andreas.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

  7. #7
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,003
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    My dream bike from back then was a Mountain Cycle San Andreas.
    I had a 1992 San Andreas with the rubber buggy baby bumper suspension with 1.5" of travel and the Suspenders inverted elastomer fork. It garnered a lot of attention in those days, and it did smooth out trails in a sproingy sort of fashion. It also sounded like a skate sharpener on Caterpillar tracks on the trail as the floating discs rubbed all the time and the monocoque frame amplified chain noise and everything else. But just about any FS bike I've owned with real shocks and forks actually rode much better.

    A 1994 Blizzard would actually be a better buy than a San Andreas that old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Dream Bike...18 years later-sanandreas1.jpg  

    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  8. #8
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Nice!

    My dream bike from back then was a Yeti ARC. I sublimated that desire years later by getting an ARC-X.

    I still have my '97 dream bike, a Trek 9800 OCLV. It's mostly retired now but I still love it!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  9. #9
    Lemmy Rules!
    Reputation: Unglued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,705
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    My Rocky Mountain Blizzard was stolen around 1994... I always thought it ended up in Igor's chop shop. What colour is your "new" Blizzard?
    cyclicious, I haven't seen the bike yet but as I am getting it from a guy who is over six feet tall, I would be surprised if it was your old bike. Of course, if it is, I will be happy to reunite the two of you...
    Strava made me do it....

  10. #10
    Gnarly
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    cyclicious, I haven't seen the bike yet but as I am getting it from a guy who is over six feet tall, I would be surprised if it was your old bike. Of course, if it is, I will be happy to reunite the two of you...
    I had my hopes up for a reunion... but the odds are pretty slim
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  11. #11
    I dd what you see there.
    Reputation: XLNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    I had a 1992 San Andreas with the rubber buggy baby bumper suspension with 1.5" of travel and the Suspenders inverted elastomer fork. It garnered a lot of attention in those days, and it did smooth out trails in a sproingy sort of fashion. It also sounded like a skate sharpener on Caterpillar tracks on the trail as the floating discs rubbed all the time and the monocoque frame amplified chain noise and everything else. But just about any FS bike I've owned with real shocks and forks actually rode much better.
    Sounds like it would still have been better than my CCM Excel from the time.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

  12. #12
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,003
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    Sounds like it would still have been better than my CCM Excel from the time.
    Surprisingly it only weighed 30 pounds which was the same as my 1988 Mongoose rigid steel MTB.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thewake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    207
    If we're going to turn this into a throw back lovefest, I'll show my cards.

    Although not quite of the same vintage (this was more 97-98) I always had a thing for that Cannondale P3000. You know the one. Team issue blue. Yellow accents including a yellow accordion cover over the headshok. All decked out in XTR.

    When I was an undergraduate in Ottawa, a guy came riding by me in Gatineau park on exactly that bike and I ... well... you know...

  14. #14
    Gnarly
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,907
    My Dream Bike...18... 11-14-2012 10:07 AM pretty dumb, to imply it's your stolen bike.


    Someone is very serious on Eastern Canada!
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  15. #15
    snowbound
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    221
    Cool!
    My dream bike was a Richey Commando, I think this was around '87, I used to ogle it over at McBride cycle. I just couldn't afford it though, and settled for a Rockhopper (which was a really good bike, and I was happy with it, I still ride it in the winter).
    My next dream bike(yeah 10 years later!) was a Proflex 857 - red with yellow highlights, loved that Girvin fork Couldn't quit afford that one either, and I ended up getting a Cdale SuperV - (what a pogo stick), it now hangs on the wall in the basement.

    Side note - there used to be a really cool bike shop that carried the Proflexes and Bontragers among others, it was either on Mt. Pleasant or Bayview above Eglington, anyone remember the name?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,947
    I remember the ProFlex. That was very popular for a couple of years. I wanted a Ritchey Plexus. I still think that's a cool bike.

  17. #17
    More than a little slow
    Reputation: dskunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    618
    I think I must have been very much a teenage boy up until my early thirties. I lusted after every other bike that I saw. My Rocky Mountain pinup would've been a Hammer Race though.
    Cheers, Dave

  18. #18
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Side note - there used to be a really cool bike shop that carried the Proflexes and Bontragers among others, it was either on Mt. Pleasant or Bayview above Eglington, anyone remember the name?
    I remember that place! I think they carried Mantis too. They stuck with thumb shifters for ever in that shop. The name escapes me though...
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  19. #19
    Ms. Monster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,765
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I remember that place! I think they carried Mantis too. They stuck with thumb shifters for ever in that shop. The name escapes me though...
    Was it Cycle Logic or something like that?

  20. #20
    No. Just No. Moderator
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Was it Cycle Logic or something like that?
    That was indeed the place. Best selection of "high end" boutique MTB frames in the city at that time.

  21. #21
    Ms. Monster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    That was indeed the place. Best selection of "high end" boutique MTB frames in the city at that time.
    Yep. I also remember them being really snobby and unwelcoming. Wonder why they went out of business?

  22. #22
    No. Just No. Moderator
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Yep. I also remember them being really snobby and unwelcoming. Wonder why they went out of business?
    Your post above seems like a self-contained Q&A already! I didn't frequent the shop and so I can't comment on whether your experience was common, but IMHO it's tough sell to build a business model primarily around boutique level products. Not impossible, but certainly difficult. Maybe as more of the populace with solid disposable cash flow keeps shifting from golf to gran fondos, and expanding the cycling culture in Canada that is changing, but 10-20 years ago that would would have been much more challenging.

    To the best of my knowledge most other LBS draw heavily on the non-enthusiast segment (casual commuters, family bikes) for revenue including service. The enthusiast customers probably allow them to maintain the "halo" product ranges which give the shop a diversified presence, but in reality I'd guess this upper tier customer group is often more difficult to deal with being regulars that may expect some (reasonable?) discount, savvy on prices, often interested in special order items, know how to shop online sources, can do much of their own labour, etc.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Back when I was a starving student, the bike I wanted and could not afford was a Rocky Mountain Blizzard. I have never owned one...until now.

    A colleague at work told me today that he had a 1994 Blizzard that he has not ridden in years and no longer has space for. He told me that it "needed some love" but that it was mine if I wanted it. And as I never owned one, I am going to take him up on this offer.

    The plan is to restore this cutting edge piece of mid 1990s mountain biking techology. I am not the greatest bike mechanic but what better way to learn? Pictures of Project Blizzard to hopefull follow (assuming my work colleague has not come to his senses...). Stay tuned...
    This is great news. Retrobike UK and the Vintage forum here on MTBR are great places to get info on vintage bikes. Though the guys on Retrobike do tend to take it overboard.

    I built up a 1993 Kona Explosif a few years ago:

    Purple Kona

    You know how your Dissent is forgiving on the trails? A 90's fully rigid mtb is the exact opposite of that. But fun. I would still rather ride this bike (over any other bike) in the pines at Puslinch - bend it around the trees. In the rocks at Puslinch? Not so much.

  24. #24
    snowbound
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Your post above seems like a self-contained Q&A already! I didn't frequent the shop and so I can't comment on whether your experience was common, but IMHO it's tough sell to ...
    ... know how to shop online sources, can do much of their own labour, etc.
    I think a lot have closed over the years, Peddler at Avenue & Davenport (I met bike snobbery there - although not from the mechanics) Bloor cycle, McBride as mentioned. A really cool shop on the Danforth that carried Intense, others. The only ones that I've dealt with over the last 25 years that are still around are Dukes and Silent Sports(I am sure there are others, I've just never dealt with them).

    Realize I am getting off topic here - very cool project Unglued.

  25. #25
    No. Just No. Moderator
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,761
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    A really cool shop on the Danforth that carried Intense
    Trailblazers

    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Realize I am getting off topic here - very cool project Unglued.
    Hey, a sprawling nostalgic thread never hurt anyone. Just to circle back around, one of my best riding buds back in ON had a lovely Blizzard, white with a bit of blue droplets in the paint IIRC for a snow/ice Blizzard effect. Along with the rigid fork of course, and mix of vintage Syncros parts It even had a u-brake in the rear! That bike was passed along still in near mint condition to one of his friends who brought it out to ride laps for Albion Hills 24hr events up to very recently.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •