Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I dd what you see there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Two questions. Firstly, what is the safest way to remove surface rust from the frame?

Secondly most of the aluminum parts are kind of dull and I would like the, to be as shiny as the day the bike rolled out of the factory. Any suggestions as to how to get me shined up again?
    1. If you're painting/refinishing the frame anyways, sand it. Or if you have the means to do it - sandblast it!
    2. Head to Canadian Tire and buy some Mag/Aluminum polish. My recommendation is Mothers, they make really good waxes/polishes.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

ups and downs
    Soda blasting or walnut shell blasting would be better than sand blasting for paint prep, a smoother finish surface and less material removal. If you were going to get the frame powder coated, the powder coater can likely do paint stripping and powder coat. Just pick a powder coater that has done bike frames before so they know how to mask the frame and plug the right holes.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    If you plan to repaint / powder coat it, I would strip the entire frame. I've done tons of them with the help from a local guy. I have all my frames stripped in a dunk tank that removes absolutely everything including the rust from inside the frame. The guy who does it is dirt cheap (its a pay by the pound service) and when you get the frame / fork back it will be as clean as the day it was welded together. They make sure everyhting is gone and the frame is properly rinsed so there is no residual chems left over. The last frame / fork I had stripped cost me about $30.00. You'll spend more than that on sand paper and paint removers, a "few" hours of your time and it won't be nearly as neat/clean as this is. Best part is that you can do a proper and complete inspection of the frame this way too.

If you want to get an idea as to how much elbow grease goes into stripping a frame by hand, start with the bottom bracket welds. try it with sand paper first, become frustrated, then spray it with paint stripper, clean that off and then remove the residual paint with sandpaper again. (you could spend hours just on those few welds alone ...........I've done it.)

This obviously depends on where you live. But I have a feeling you're somewhat local to the GTA???

This guy is located about 25 mins north of Hamilton.

(still waiting for a reply re decals - will PM when it comes in)
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    I always thought you were one of the large contingent of Hamiltonians on here. Oops.

Nope. (I do work there though)

I dd what you see there.
    I was just going to recommend "electrolysis cleaning" if it was steel as well (aluminum CAN be done but reacts a LOT quicker so extra care must be taken). My brother and I restored numerous antique gasoline engines using this method.

The problem is that is fairly advanced lending to the materials and set up and emissions caused by the process. However, if you're not concerned with doing the entire job by yourself and Bagpipes can set you up with that guy, $30 sounds like the way to go
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

mtbr member
    I've been looking this bike over from the pics you've posted and I have to say it's not a definately not a 94. I think I may have even misundersttod your PM as i thought you said you were looking for 93 declas. Again it's not even a 93. It is most definately a 92 - far more sought after and in my opinion, a much better handling bike.

I have no doubt that your friend may have bought it in 94 but it would likely have been a new old stock bike that never sold. I've picked up a few bikes that way over the years.

Here's why I say its a 92 but I'd love to see some pics from the non drive side too.

Those wishbone seat stays were only available from 91 and 92. The fork looks like a Tange "struts" given it's beefy legs and they way the ends appear to be just chopped off. Those were stock on the 92. The 91 had Syncros Powerlight (un-mistakable fork and would never be swapped out - they were that good). 93 and on - seat tubes all had clamping and removable collars for the seat post - this one does not. Cable routing is consistent with 91-92 and if you look behind the seat tube near the bottom bracket, you'll see a pulley. (I cant make it out too well in your pic but the cable appears to be running below the front der. and then should return back up via the pulley) This ended in 92. all 93's and on were direct pull FD's

As far as the paint goes, I've seen a few now that were all white from 92. I know a few people who used to own stores back then and I was told that the frist run of Blizzards in 92 were all white ( prior to the brochure being released as they start buling them a few months prior to the previous year ending - and still do, much like car manufacturing). They later added the black and pumped out the rest of the years stock; presumably becuase they felt it was too plain??

So the good news is for you - that's a way cooler, better riding bike than the 94 in my opinion. I have a few Blizzards and have always been keeping an eye out for 91 / 92. Those wishbone seat stays are fantastic. You're gonna love that ride. (minus the bar ends)

A few more pics would be great.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by bagpipes View Post
    I've been looking this bike over from the pics you've posted and I have to say it's not a definately not a 94. I think I may have even misundersttod your PM as i thought you said you were looking for 93 declas. Again it's not even a 93. It is most definately a 92 - far more sought after and in my opinion, a much better handling bike.

I have no doubt that your friend may have bought it in 94 but it would likely have been a new old stock bike that never sold. I've picked up a few bikes that way over the years.

Here's why I say its a 92 but I'd love to see some pics from the non drive side too.

Those wishbone seat stays were only available from 91 and 92. The fork looks like a Tange "struts" given it's beefy legs and they way the ends appear to be just chopped off. Those were stock on the 92. The 91 had Syncros Powerlight (un-mistakable fork and would never be swapped out - they were that good). 93 and on - seat tubes all had clamping and removable collars for the seat post - this one does not. Cable routing is consistent with 91-92 and if you look behind the seat tube near the bottom bracket, you'll see a pulley. (I cant make it out too well in your pic but the cable appears to be running below the front der. and then should return back up via the pulley) This ended in 92. all 93's and on were direct pull FD's

As far as the paint goes, I've seen a few now that were all white from 92. I know a few people who used to own stores back then and I was told that the frist run of Blizzards in 92 were all white ( prior to the brochure being released as they start buling them a few months prior to the previous year ending - and still do, much like car manufacturing). They later added the black and pumped out the rest of the years stock; presumably becuase they felt it was too plain??

So the good news is for you - that's a way cooler, better riding bike than the 94 in my opinion. I have a few Blizzards and have always been keeping an eye out for 91 / 92. Those wishbone seat stays are fantastic. You're gonna love that ride. (minus the bar ends)

A few more pics would be great.
    The front derrailleur is actually a direct pull - no pulley on the seat tube. I'll post more pics over the next few days.

I think I would like to paint it in the black and white, but no firm decision yet....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Does it have a place for a pulley to attach such as in this pic? It is possible that this isn't the original der. and they used a top pull as a replacement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Dream Bike...18 years later-img_4829.jpg  

Lemmy Rules!
    So...here she is, in her pre-restorative state. The pedals came off really easily and once I lubed the chain and ran in through a cloth the surface rust came right off. Hopefully I can save the chain, which would be best as a new chain may mean a new drivetrain.

My Dream Bike...18 years later-img_9256.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Dream Bike...18 years later-img_9253.jpg  

My Dream Bike...18 years later-img_9257.jpg  

My Dream Bike...18 years later-img_9258.jpg  

My Dream Bike...18 years later-img_9259.jpg  

My Dream Bike...18 years later-img_9260.jpg  

My Dream Bike...18 years later-img_9261.jpg  

My Dream Bike...18 years later-img_9264.jpg  

Strava made me do it....

Lemmy Rules!
    And a few more shots I took, including one with my current mountainbike, which is also white. And rigid.

My Dream Bike...18 years later-img_9266.jpg

My Dream Bike...18 years later-img_9267.jpg

My Dream Bike...18 years later-img_9268.jpg

My Dream Bike...18 years later-img_9265.jpg
    Strava made me do it....

ups and downs
    Definitely an old school ride. I like the Race Face Shoulder Holder on that seat.

If you need replacement thumbies, I think I have a complete pair of 3x7speed XT shifters and a left side 3 speed Deore shifter lever assembly laying around. I might even have a couple of XT front and rear derailleurs laying around.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Definitely an old school ride. I like the Race Face Shoulder Holder on that seat.
    I always thought those were a really cool detail on Rockys of that vintage.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    There were many times when I really wanted one of those under my saddle during various Crank the Shield stages. A small U.S. company was making an aftermarket solution for a bit for certain saddles, and I probably could have just rigged something up myself with a bit of foam, but procrastination hit and I never did anything about it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Whoa, a Shoulder Holder! I haven't seen one of those in over 15 years!

Man, I can't wait to see how your bike looks after a full restoration.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    There were many times when I really wanted one of those under my saddle during various Crank the Shield stages. A small U.S. company was making an aftermarket solution for a bit for certain saddles, and I probably could have just rigged something up myself with a bit of foam, but procrastination hit and I never did anything about it.
    The under the saddle idea came about instead of doing the bike carry cyclocross style guys would hook the saddle nose on their shoulder. Keep in mind this was in pre hydration pack days. Think this solution for under the saddle came out in the early 90's

The original carry strap was the Winchester and not of Winchester Arms. Mounted at the juncture of the top tube and seat tube. Had one for years and great for those long bike hauls through unrideable terrain.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Out of curiosity, have you ridden the bike? Do you plan to ride it, or is this a showpiece for the Unglued Museum?

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Out of curiosity, have you ridden the bike? Do you plan to ride it, or is this a showpiece for the Unglued Museum?
    I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but will probably take it for a spin this weekend. And the plan is to ride it occasionally. It's too awesome a frame to leave hanging on the wall....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    "too awesome" is one way to describe it...

I kid, I kid.

Hack Racer
    That is a sweet bike.

Have you pulled the seatpost out... Can you even remove the seatpost? Hopefully it is not all rust inside the tubes.

Don't forget if you are looking for new old stock (NOS) parts that are period correct, you can make a visit to Spokes and Slopes.

I was there just last week while I was a conference in Milton. Matt still has NOS tioga wire wheels in original packaging!

I shook my head and drooled. I contemplated buying it too, but I couldn't figure out how to lace it up and had no bike for the wheel to use.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers! View Post
    That is a sweet bike.

Have you pulled the seatpost out... Can you even remove the seatpost? Hopefully it is not all rust inside the tubes.

Don't forget if you are looking for new old stock (NOS) parts that are period correct, you can make a visit to Spokes and Slopes.

I was there just last week while I was a conference in Milton. Matt still has NOS tioga wire wheels in original packaging!

I shook my head and drooled. I contemplated buying it too, but I couldn't figure out how to lace it up and had no bike for the wheel to use.
    Yep, the seatpost comes out. The prior owner had the foresight to pull the seatpost out before storing the bike. Didn't think of Spokes n Slopes - thanks for the tip...I live in Oakville so it's a short trip for me.

In other news, I followed Aerius' advice and contacted Gil_m at Retrobike who has a new set of decals in the works and Rocky Mountain says it's official - it's a 1992.

I'm hoping to ride it this weekend on some trails local to my house (nothing too challenging). First ride report and photos to follow...
    Strava made me do it....

Lemmy Rules!

First Ride

Too the blizzard for a little spin in the woods behind my house. I have not ridden a 26" bike since 2007, and for that matter have not ridden a mountainbike with gears since then either, so it felt a little weird. However, the bike is mechanically flawless - the gears shifted precisely, the wheels ran true, and there were not squeaks, rattles or other bad noises. The bike is not as fast or as responsive as my Misfit, but I would not expect it to be. However, it is rock-solid in the corners, has a forgiving ride, and sucked up the bumps even without a suspended fork. In short, it did not ride like a 20 year old bike. Now all I have to do is get it looking as good as it feels...
    Strava made me do it....

I already rode that
    I had a RM Blizzard one time too and won my first race on it as well. I forget the year it was and not that I cared much at the time since I bought it from a friend. A quick look online and it shows it as a 1990 RM Blizzard.

The pic of the bike isnt mine but its pretty well it since I remember having that fork. Which i tossed on a q21 and later a Marz.
    My Dream Bike...18 years later-img_0745_187.jpg
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

Lemmy Rules!
    Blizzard update: Have just booked the bike in to Velocolour to be painted. It will be painted black and white- probably black top tube and top half of head tube and down tube. I will probably offend the purists by incorporating a couple of maple leaf stencils into where the black paint and white paint meet, like latter-year Blizzards. There is a 3 month waiting list for the bike to be painted so it will not be ready for the Frostbike as originally planned, but it will be worth the wait. At least that will allow plenty of time for me to shine up and restore all the components...

Next event of note will be the arrival of the decals. Stay tuned...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    That's awesome Barry! Noah did the paintwork on my Steelwool and did a fantastic job. You won't be disappointed!

Sorry for coming late to the thread, this is a really cool project.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Blizzard update: Have just booked the bike in to Velocolour to be painted. It will be painted black and white- probably black top tube and top half of head tube and down tube. I will probably offend the purists by incorporating a couple of maple leaf stencils into where the black paint and white paint meet, like latter-year Blizzards.
    Dekerf still has some of the precut maple leaf masking for the 2000-2005 era leaf paint schemes, as they used to do all the wet paint of the scandium Team candy apple red and white paint schemes when Rocky went to all powder coat with the other frames, You might be able to buy a couple of those masking sheets from Dekerf. That's what they used when I had them paint my carbon Vertex in a retro paint scheme.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast