Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I think they used to carry Thin Blue Line too, IIRC.
    I'm almost sure that TBL was Silent's house brand... although I think TBC did have some used bikes at one point late in their existence.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Since I was also a silent sports customer, yes I think that's correct. They were being sold alongside rocky mountain in the shop at the time I believe and were clearly intended to compete on price. There was one frame which was made domestically I believe (CO2 max) and the rest were catalogue frames from Taiwan, which is what I got... Tange ultralight tubing and a mishmash of stuff, partial XT, gripshift, the Judy XC, sugino crankset, cantilevers rather than the newer v-brakes... in retrospect it seems a bit of a franken-bike, but it served well enough. Rode the cheakamus challenge the first year I had it, did ok for an easterner.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yes I am 99% sure that TBL was only available via Silent it was their house brand.

Only bike I can really remember lusting after was the early DeKerf bikes.

I dd what you see there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    ...the cannondale Flash 2 29'er that is coming in the spring...
    If you don't mind my prying - when did you have to order this?

I'm seriously considering the Scalpel 3 and if it's that's the amount of time it's going to take, I should make up mind, SOON!!!!!
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

mtbr member
    If you're thinking about buying anything from Cannondale you should ask your local store for the expected delivery date.

and then add another month. Cannondale are notorious for being slow to deliver their bikes.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    If you don't mind my prying - when did you have to order this?

I'm seriously considering the Scalpel 3 and if it's that's the amount of time it's going to take, I should make up mind, SOON!!!!!
    You don't need to worry just yet. I got it on a pro-deal so different rules apply....
    Strava made me do it....

Lemmy Rules!

Introducing Frosty...

Here she is...

Not in bad shape at all. A couple of spots of surface rust on the frame, and some of the hardware (bottle cage bosses etc) is rusty. A new chain is definitely in order, and probably some new cables, but on the whole, not bad at all...

I am a little disappointed that the decals are so worn. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get a set of 1994 Blizzard Decals?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Dream Bike...18 years later-blizzard.jpg  

Strava made me do it....

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    I had a 1992 San Andreas with the rubber buggy baby bumper suspension with 1.5" of travel and the Suspenders inverted elastomer fork. It garnered a lot of attention in those days, and it did smooth out trails in a sproingy sort of fashion. It also sounded like a skate sharpener on Caterpillar tracks on the trail as the floating discs rubbed all the time and the monocoque frame amplified chain noise and everything else. But just about any FS bike I've owned with real shocks and forks actually rode much better.

A 1994 Blizzard would actually be a better buy than a San Andreas that old.
    Here's my 1992 San An.

Always wanted a 4 Banger, such a blast to ride. Even better with 6" travel.

The Dekerf has had many lives, softail works really well in Ontario, except it's a wet noodle.

Old bikes are neat. Hoping to re-build my old Kona this winter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Dream Bike...18 years later-mc5.jpg  

My Dream Bike...18 years later-banger.jpg  

My Dream Bike...18 years later-teamst.jpg  

Evil Jr.
    Here she is...

Not in bad shape at all. A couple of spots of surface rust on the frame, and some of the hardware (bottle cage bosses etc) is rusty. A new chain is definitely in order, and probably some new cables, but on the whole, not bad at all...

I am a little disappointed that the decals are so worn. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get a set of 1994 Blizzard Decals?
    Looking good! All it needs is a little TLC.

Are you thinking of refinishing it? The powder coating at True North is quite nice and has held up really well on my diSSEnt.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Omigosh. I love those bar ends. Classic.

Here she is...

Lemmy Rules!

Are you thinking of refinishing it? The powder coating at True North is quite nice and has held up really well on my diSSEnt.
    I am now...
    Strava made me do it....

ups and downs
    Bagpipes was making vintage Rocky decal sets but I haven't seen him on the MTBR forums for a couple of years now. When Rocky moved the paint shop from Delta, BC to St.Georges QC, a lot of the vintage decal and paint masking stuff were cleaned out and didn't make the move so Rocky won't have anything laying around.

Here's a screen cap from the 1994 brochure

That's likely an earlier frame than 1994 as the wishbone seat stays were gone by 1993. The 1992 Blizzard looks closer from a frame layout point of view, although the rear seatstay wishbone meets the seat tube higher on your frame.

1994 Blizzard

My Dream Bike...18 years later-1994-blizz.jpg

1992 Blizzard

My Dream Bike...18 years later-1992-blizz.jpg
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 11-16-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Evil Jr.
    You might be able to get some vinyls done if you can come up with the artwork. Not perfect but not bad either.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Lemmy Rules!
    You might be able to get some vinyls done if you can come up with the artwork. Not perfect but not bad either.
    Any idea where?
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    Any idea where?
    Peter has been known to work for beer.

Lemmy Rules!
    Peter has been known to work for beer.
    The other option is to paint it like last year's thirtieth anniversary blizzard, and see if I can get decals for that...
    Strava made me do it....

I dd what you see there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Omigosh. I love those bar ends. Classic.
    ^^ Fully agree.

They were actually the first thing I noticed. I want a set now! lol
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Bagpipes was making vintage Rocky decal sets but I haven't seen him on the MTBR forums for a couple of years now. When Rocky moved the paint shop from Delta, BC to St.Georges QC, a lot of the vintage decal and paint masking stuff were cleaned out and didn't make the move so Rocky won't have anything laying around.

Here's a screen cap from the 1994 brochure

That's likely an earlier frame than 1994 as the wishbone seat stays were gone by 1993. The 1992 Blizzard looks closer from a frame layout point of view, although the rear seatstay wishbone meets the seat tube higher on your frame.

1994 Blizzard

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1994 blizz.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	737873

1992 Blizzard

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1992 blizz.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	737877
    It's definitely not a 1994 - no wishbone and Race Face cranks, but the decals (or what is left for them) are the same colour as the 1994 model, and the paintjob is the same colour. as the 1994 model. The guy I got it from bought it in September 1994 at a bike shop in Vancouver, but thinks it might have been a 1993.

Anyway, pm message sent to Bagpipes. We'll see if he responds. Thanks for the lead...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Gil_m over on the Retrobike forums does a whole bunch of decal stuff for vintage bikes from what I've heard. I have a set of his decals for my Explosif, they came with the bike when the previous owner sold the frame to me, he got the decals from gil_m since he was planning on repainting the frame. Life got in the way for him, so I got the frame and the decals.

gil_m's Feedback Thread | Retrobike

ups and downs
    It's definitely not a 1994 - no wishbone and Race Face cranks, but the decals (or what is left for them) are the same colour as the 1994 model, and the paintjob is the same colour. as the 1994 model. The guy I got it from bought it in September 1994 at a bike shop in Vancouver, but thinks it might have been a 1993.
    The production year was usually in the serial number in those days, should be stamped across the bottom of the BB shell. .
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Dorkimus Prime
    Unglued, because I like ya, this thread may be of some use to Peter...

anyone know Rocky Mountain font used?

Contained within are secret musings of Rocky Uphill, Bagpipes and PeteyPete. Good stuff.

While you're talking to him pick up some Christmas cards.

If this works out perhaps you can use my ugly mug as a headtube badge?
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    That's my bike! My old one anyway (1994). They only made that seatpost for a year? It broke. It was junk. I had the thumbshifters, the see through grips, that awesome bar... the toeclips! Hahahaha.

Memories...

mtbr member
    I still lurk around here from time to time .........

PM returned

And I'm not from Hamilton. (where did that come from)
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

Dorkimus Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by bagpipes View Post
    And I'm not from Hamilton. (where did that come from)
    I always thought you were one of the large contingent of Hamiltonians on here. Oops.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Lemmy Rules!
    Ok...so I have the bike now and have realized that I don't know jack about restoring old bikes. My thought is to take all the parts off and then see about getting the frame repainted. Then inspect and clean up the parts, replacing as needed over time. Sound about right?

Two questions. Firstly, what is the safest way to remove surface rust from the frame?

Secondly most of the aluminum parts are kind of dull and I would like the, to be as shiny as the day the bike rolled out of the factory. Any suggestions as to how to get me shined up again?

More pictures of the bike in its current state to follow. Probably not this weekend though, as it is still warm enough to ride and the Hydrocut is beckoning...
    Strava made me do it....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast