Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    This is great news. Retrobike UK and the Vintage forum here on MTBR are great places to get info on vintage bikes. Though the guys on Retrobike do tend to take it overboard.

I built up a 1993 Kona Explosif a few years ago:

Purple Kona

You know how your Dissent is forgiving on the trails? A 90's fully rigid mtb is the exact opposite of that. But fun. I would still rather ride this bike (over any other bike) in the pines at Puslinch - bend it around the trees. In the rocks at Puslinch? Not so much.
    Full Disclosure: my next dream bike was the Klein Mantra. When I got my first grown-up job, I bought a 2000 Klein Mantra Comp, which I loved and rode regularly until 2009. I regret selling it to this day.

Here's a picture of Old Faithful (I name all my bikes) in action, circa 2003....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Dream Bike...18 years later-hilton-climb.jpg  

Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Trailblazers

Hey, a sprawling nostalgic thread never hurt anyone.
    I think they used to carry Thin Blue Line too, IIRC.

Spinning Wheels up on Carleton was a great little place too.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I think they used to carry Thin Blue Line too, IIRC.
    I always used to think of TBL as coming from Silent Sports. Did they actually start distributing through other shops at some point? Someone else will have to answer that. I'm not sure.

Trailblazers carried quite a few lines though. They were also the Turner dealer for GTA when Turners were still very rare (Turner Burner, O2).

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Full Disclosure: my next dream bike was the Klein Mantra. When I got my first grown-up job, I bought a 2000 Klein Mantra Comp, which I loved and rode regularly until 2009. I regret selling it to this day.
    Oooh... I really wanted a Mantra way back when.

Dorkimus Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post

Someone is very serious on Eastern Canada!
    At least it hasn't seemed to hurt your "rep"! That may take a major slander campaign....

"I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Oooh... I really wanted a Mantra way back when.
    I used to compare my Mantra to a mid-1980's Porsche 911. Ahead of its time when it was new, a little dated now, but still with that certain je ne sais quoi. The only snag was that it was as mechanically finicky as a 1980's Ferrari - all I had to do was look at it funny and something would go out of whack. There were maybe four rides a year when everything on the bike worked perfectly, and those four rides were worth all the hassle.

Not co-incidentally, when I was done with the Mantra, I moved to a rigid singlespeed. G o figure...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've got a 1996 Proflex 756 with the Girvin fork in my shed. Replaced the elastomers but haven't really rode it.

My first MTB was a Nishiki Bushwhacker but it was replaced by a brand new 1986 Cannondale SM500 from Maple Cycle in Dundas.

GAME ON!
    ah, i remember my first mtb... a 2006 ironhorse warrior. man, those were the days.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Are you building up your Blizzard to be more or less period correct or are you putting modern parts on it?

My dream bike back in the day was the Norco Team Ti, yeah, good luck affording that one as a 13 year old kid. Then it was the Kona Explosif, which I now have. Also wanted the mid 90's Rocky Mountain Altitude TO, which I guess is best described as an upgraded Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    I built up a 1993 Kona Explosif a few years ago:

You know how your Dissent is forgiving on the trails? A 90's fully rigid mtb is the exact opposite of that. But fun. I would still rather ride this bike (over any other bike) in the pines at Puslinch - bend it around the trees. In the rocks at Puslinch? Not so much.
    Friend of mine has a 94 Explosif with a Judy SL, handles about the way you've described. My 96 Explosif with a 100mm travel fork isn't quite as nimble but it's a heck of a lot more stable in the rough stuff. Pretty retro build with nothing newer than 2000 except for the fork.

mtbr member
    Slingshots were cool bikes too. I almost got one of them.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Are you building up your Blizzard to be more or less period correct or are you putting modern parts on it?

My dream bike back in the day was the Norco Team Ti, yeah, good luck affording that one as a 13 year old kid. Then it was the Kona Explosif, which I now have. Also wanted the mid 90's Rocky Mountain Altitude TO, which I guess is best described as an upgraded Blizzard.

Friend of mine has a 94 Explosif with a Judy SL, handles about the way you've described. My 96 Explosif with a 100mm travel fork isn't quite as nimble but it's a heck of a lot more stable in the rough stuff. Pretty retro build with nothing newer than 2000 except for the fork.

I'm thinking period-correct but that will in part depend on how many of the existing parts are still serviceable.
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post

Ah the good old Kona hardtail built to survive.

mtbr member
    Bought this frame/fork on MTBR after lusting for one the year it came out. Got it moderately close to a stock, period-correct build. Subsequently raced it, beat it up, got over my infatuation, and sold it cheap to a co-worker.

@Smarty: That Kona looks amazing! And ride description sounds not too far off from my current 26" Unit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    @Smarty: That Kona looks amazing! And ride description sounds not too far off from my current 26" Unit.
    I remember the first time we got a Unit in our store around 10 years ago. We had an Explosif in the shop at the time and we were looking back & forth between them going "hmmm...this is like the exact same bike...other than the paint and dropouts..." I didn't get to ride the Unit off road but it sure felt snappy when I took it for a spin around the block.

Lemmy Rules!
    The Blizzard is coming home with me tomorrow after work. I will post pictures over the weekend. I have decided to name it "Frosty". I think I will start a new thread so folks can follow the restoration/renovation.
    Strava made me do it....

Living Life Behind Bars..
    Here are my 2 old school cdn dream bikes I own.

The rocky I got from a dentist in Alberta who had it set up with a kickstand and parts were mine from back in the day. ( I know the chain is not through the der in the pic )

The brodie was passed on to me after a good friend who passed away ( dathan r.i.p. ) and we restored / repainted her to the original specs and glory days....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Dream Bike...18 years later-rocky.jpg  

My Dream Bike...18 years later-brodie.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk View Post
    I think I must have been very much a teenage boy up until my early thirties. I lusted after every other bike that I saw. My Rocky Mountain pinup would've been a Hammer Race though.
    My primary bike is a '97 Hammer Race. It's currently set up as a rigid single speed, but still an awesome ride 15 years later

If only it had discs, it would be my perfect bike.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-t- View Post
    The brodie was passed on to me after a good friend who passed away ( dathan r.i.p. ) and we restored / repainted her to the original specs and glory days....
    Assuming we're talking about the same Dathan, a friend and I rebuild one of his old bikes with a few of our spare parts for a co-worker that couldn't afford a new bike. Small world!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by g-t- View Post
    Here are my 2 old school cdn dream bikes I own.

The rocky I got from a dentist in Alberta who had it set up with a kickstand and parts were mine from back in the day. ( I know the chain is not through the der in the pic )

I don't know Dathan, but if his taste in bikes is any indication, I would have liked him immensely
    Strava made me do it....

Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Assuming we're talking about the same Dathan, a friend and I rebuild one of his old bikes with a few of our spare parts for a co-worker that couldn't afford a new bike. Small world!
    yup same Dathan. he has a huge collection and we collected together pretty religously and go back to Trail Blazer online pre Danforth.

I dont ride the Brodie though I want to keep it like it is but it did see a event or 2 post paint before the wall but I framed it up along a mechanic shirt from him and I see it everyday this way. last itme it was out was at that mudfest point to point race from beaver valley to Blue mountain a few yrs ago.

Dathans brother Juice and i built the tioga disc for the rocky, sourced out the original spec NOS mavic 261 and have the tigoa gumwall tire as well as the wheel bag. Spins butter smooth.only thing I regret gettign rid of was the syncros revoloution cranks with the crank o matics's.... it would have completed the bike oh and the lawwill leader 3 fork

Gotta love old bikes no matter what they are !!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Great thread, looking forward to see the build. I just about got onto a vintage Vertex this summer, for all the same reasons, but couldn't quite reach a deal with the seller.

Got my first bike at Cyclelogic... don't recall much attitude per se though I knew nothing about bikes and bike stores at that time. They gave me free bearings and free spoke tension tune-ups here and there. Heck I just remembered I was in there once and John (the owner I think, big tall guy) saw that the cheapo $10 saddle that came with my bike was slightly bent so he gave me a Bio turbo saddle, which I still have today on my commuter... It wasn't just boutique brands there (Cameron, Mantis anyone ever see one lately?)... they were probably one of the first stores to go with frames/brands direct from Taiwan (which is what I bought), and of course there was Proflex.

kay too funny you would mention the Cameron brand. I am not sure if he still lives at Donalds and Mortimor area but the massize raw aluminum bannister with the down tube decal is still on the front step of the house. Thats a blast from the past !!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'm driving through the neighbourhood every week for skating at Ted reeve... will take a look perhaps!

Lawill Leader... oh ya. The mechanic in the shop at the time, Mike I think it was, had the Cameron bike with that Lawill fork on it. I knew it was a cool rig, just never occurred to me as a beginner to think of owing something like it (even if I had had the cash!). My interest in the topic of vintage bikes now stems in part from that oversight years ago.

I dd what you see there.
    Note: This wasn't my "dream bike" per sť. It was the one I was able to afford and being that it replaced the already mentioned CCM Excel it was quite an upgrade at the time. Anyways here's my blast from the past - 1996 Giant ATX 870 right outta the barn last March.

I swapped the bar when I got it because back then my buddy and I would depart on our bike rides at 9 sometimes 10pm. So I had some fancy light system too that I hung off the front of those bars. That lighting system was the best... I don't remember whatever happened to it, but the battery was huge and weighed a ton.

It's underwent a "restoration" of sorts this summer for another friend to use on trips with his family. The RS Q5 shock was destroyed - the elstomers disintegrated (mind you I think it was 'destroyed' in other ways back in 1996 too) so I found a Judy with the canti brake stop integrated in the fork brace (which I think was available on the 880 model) and had it installed plus it got a tune-up and other than a brake cable that needed to be replaced the bike is arguably "period specific" as there it sits pretty much the same as it was back in 1996.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Dream Bike...18 years later-p3270432-1024x768-.jpg  

2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

Lemmy Rules!
    And just to put things in context, when the 1994 Blizzard was a new bike, I was riding a 1990 Tech Badlands. We're talking Suntour X-1 gruppo, rigid fork, fluorescent orange steel (hi-tensile, not chromoly BTW) frame. Probably weighed 40lb. It is still hanging in my parents' garage as my dad uses it on occasion. It will be interesting to ride the blizzard then ride the Tech back to back to see how they compare. I think I will be amazed at how far ahead of its time the Blizzard was...

After the Tech, I bought a 1996 Trek 970 (LX/XT drivetrain, Rockshox Quadra21R fork - remember those?), which was the closest thing to the blizzard I could afford. That lasted me until 2000 until I got the Mantra, and the rest, as they say, is history...

The blizzard and the cannondale Flash 2 29'er that is coming in the spring will put me to 7 1/2 bikes (the half being a unicycle). Too many? Nah - I still need a dirt jumper and a fatbike....
    Strava made me do it....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast