pin it

Must be doing something right

Interesting article about some recent research findings about the benefits of exercise as the body ages. "Exercise, the thinking goes, and you might be able to rewrite the future for your muscles". No surprise that exercise improves strength and muscle mass but now there is growing evidence to support activity as we age.

Anyway looking forward many more seasons of biking and maybe even competition

Phys Ed: Staying Strong as We Age - NYTimes.com

namagomi
    The results of not exercising are pretty clear if you ask me. Of course there are always risks in any activity . Unfortunately

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Interesting article about some recent research findings about the benefits of exercise as the body ages. "Exercise, the thinking goes, and you might be able to rewrite the future for your muscles". No surprise that exercise improves strength and muscle mass but now there is growing evidence to support activity as we age.
    This book was an interesting read, at least for me since I am getting up in years
    Amazon.com: Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy - Until You're 80 and Beyond (9780761147732): Chris Crowley, Henry S. Lodge: Books

namagomi

pin it
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    The results of not exercising are pretty clear if you ask me. Of course there are always risks in any activity . Unfortunately
    Although there is an obvious increase in the element of risk with many activities (dh, skiing, etc) it hasn;t stopped me from continuing or trying something new. Funny that I grow less fearful over time. The G&M article was a good read

pin it
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    I admit that I have less time these days to read a good book. Thanks for the suggestion

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    That article raised a couple of good points. First, that no-fault insurance covers you as a driver if you injure yourself through no fault but your own. Is that really true? If so, it speaks directly to the driver privilege checklist thing posted on the other thread. Second, it implies that a cyclist could voluntarily obtain similar insurance... whereas I've read elsewhere that the odd person has tried this and found no takers. No insurance companies either willing or able to take on that risk. No upside and all downside according to the actuaries.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    Second, it implies that a cyclist could voluntarily obtain similar insurance... whereas I've read elsewhere that the odd person has tried this and found no takers. No insurance companies either willing or able to take on that risk. No upside and all downside according to the actuaries.
    Almost anything has an upside to insurance companies if they can collect enough premium. There are some pretty weird policies out there covering special and unique risks. However, in order for actuaries to be able to design a product/coverage on a reasonable basis instead of a special risk they need to have enough policy holders so that statistics can be applied to have future claims experience approach assumptions that the product was priced upon. Without a body of historical claims experience to draw upon for a certain line of business, the insurer would need to inflate pricing, which ends up in a vicious cycle then of not attracting enough policy holders, keeping prices high.

I'm also guessing that - per incident - the average cost of bodily injuries in a typical bicycle incident would far exceed that of a motor vehicle accident, which in most cases is a simple fender bender with no personal injuries. Vehicle damage costs, while they do have to accounted for in policy pricing, are a drop in the bucket on a cost per incident basis compared to total cost for injuries between medical care, rehab, lost wages, etc.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    That article raised a couple of good points. First, that no-fault insurance covers you as a driver if you injure yourself through no fault but your own. Is that really true? If so, it speaks directly to the driver privilege checklist thing posted on the other thread. Second, it implies that a cyclist could voluntarily obtain similar insurance... whereas I've read elsewhere that the odd person has tried this and found no takers. No insurance companies either willing or able to take on that risk. No upside and all downside according to the actuaries.
    Well I have seen this, $280 annually for $6000 ride. Private insurance will cover you, it's just that all these people had none at the time.

If you notice in the article the province will give you up to $1million if you're hit by a car. Really though that is a drop in the bucket compared to $10 million needed for care, equipment, medications... Something like this is staggeringly impossible for a person or family to cover themselves when "lightning" strikes as they say.

mtbr member
    Our bodies were designed to used just like our Mountain bikes , I am almost 54yrs old and and have been riding the trails in the big chain ring something i normally haven't done. , 17 kms., I normally would like to go for longer runs but just have too many others chores.I am just making a semi fat bike so i can ride in the winter, and also back country telemark skiing.
    13 On One Fatty
    08 YETI 575 BLK. C.King Hubs/Hadley
    96 Specialized Stump Jumper FS Tweaked

pin it
    Thats a good study linking exercise and mood
    Tryptophan is the key ingredient in making serotonin (which is a brain chemical). Because the body can't make it's own tryptophan, it must be taken in as part of the diet (the best way is combining carbs and proteins) or it is prescribed. I'm not sure if it can be purchased over-the-counter anymore.
    This study is significant because it implies there is growing evidence that exercise can enhance the ability of tryptophan to help produce serotonin. Exercise is a natural stimulator of many important “mood” hormones, including serotonin

I'd like to add a comment about growing evidence related to the benefits of yoga (which people can do at almost any age but particularly with older populations). Providing relief from back pain, osteoarthritis, strength and flexibility etc. are just a few benefits. On a personal note I've practiced several forms of Yoga for over 10 years as an enhancement and supplement to biking.

Ryan Leech is one of the more recent advocates supporting the benefits of Yoga and will be lauching a DVD soon

Ryan Leech Diversifies Through Coaching Excellence - Pinkbike.com

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Gee... welcome back to the 80's and what we already new. Exercise is good for you.

So we wasted how much $$$ on studies to figure out what we already knew?
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Gee... welcome back to the 80's and what we already new. Exercise is good for you.

So we wasted how much $$$ on studies to figure out what we already knew?
    Well, now the doubt about exercise's benefits is less and the mechanisms are revealed!

pin it
    76-year-old skateboarder Lloyd Kahn on TV news - Boing Boing

This dude is the same age as my mom... total respect man!