Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    sock puppet

Mountainview O-CUP

I have never ridden these trails.. Will have to make a decision on the bike - hard tail or full suspension? Can someone in the know please describe this course - is it more rocky than Kelso (which I know well) or not?

On my scale of difficulty the easiest would be Albion HIlls, then Hardwood, then Kelso, then Buckwallow... where would you put Mountainview?

Also, is it clay course like Albion or more sandy like Hardwood or Mansfield?

Lets get the discussion going...

bi-winning
    Bike, um, I'm sure you could get by with either. There is a nice compliment of roots, and probably a fun rock garden, but it is not too treacherous.

It's on a ski hill, so obviously there is some climbing. Some of it can be in singlerack though, as opposed to only one real climb like at Kelso. I suppose comparing it to Hardwood would not be too inaccurate. This soil is of the sandy type.

I just registered. Carpool from Niagara anyone?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

veldrijder
    Looking forward to this one! I too have never been there, and the status of my preriding is up in the air but sandy soil, lots of climbing and not too technical sounds good to me

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    I have never ridden these trails.. Will have to make a decision on the bike - hard tail or full suspension? Can someone in the know please describe this course - is it more rocky than Kelso (which I know well) or not?

On my scale of difficulty the easiest would be Albion HIlls, then Hardwood, then Kelso, then Buckwallow... where would you put Mountainview?

Also, is it clay course like Albion or more sandy like Hardwood or Mansfield?

Lets get the discussion going...

Yes, it's like more like Kelso....but requires more tech skills(tight turns, dropoffs,etc). It's along the escarpment, so there is alot of roots and rocks. No doubt, I would use a full suspension. I found it pretty tough there, but alot of fun also.

mtbr member
    This is the hardest all around course of the season. Steep punchy climbs, lots of off camber root sections. Fast flowy singletrack. I've raced the course on both full and hardtail. Personally I would be on a full here.

Even if it rains Mountainview holds up well. This is going to be the course that you either really love or absolutly hate. Last year during the pre ride I heard lots of people complain that it's to technical. It's kinda funny to hear that but a strong technical rider will have zero problems here. Of course the home track advantage has our club working hard to dominate. That's the plan atleast.

mtbr member
    Oh one other comment. Please remember that Mountainview is on private property and is not open to the public except for the Thursday Night weekly series and then this Saturday's preride. The Man ( Insurance Companies ) have kept it that way and even restricts club memebers to certain days.

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 24 solo
    This is the hardest all around course of the season. Steep punchy climbs, lots of off camber root sections. Fast flowy singletrack. I've raced the course on both full and hardtail. Personally I would be on a full here.
    Even if it rains Mountainview holds up well. This is going to be the course that you either really love or absolutly hate. Last year during the pre ride I heard lots of people complain that it's to technical. It's kinda funny to hear that but a strong technical rider will have zero problems here. Of course the home track advantage has our club working hard to dominate. That's the plan atleast.
    Yeah Matt, I totally agree with your comments. You really can't compare it to anything else in the O-Cup series. A pre-ride would help alot, if you have never rode there before.

rad to the power of sick
    Ill be there...

Definitely a fun course, and very comprehensive. Id venture to say its the ultimate race course as it doesnt favor a particular strength. Its got a little bit of everything. Its also THE course to preride. There are several lines that will shave seconds of your laptimes if you have the opportunity to do a proper preride and learn them.

I bonked hardcore last year, but i know where i went wrong so this is the year to make up for it.

Do any of the mountainview regulars know if we're using the same course as last year?

mtbr member
    some of the course is the same as last year. I'd recomend you come up Saturday to preride. Glassford Grind is in for the 1:30 race only. There are are few changes but the course still hurts. There is pre riding both Friday and Saturday and then our weekly series on Thursday night which is using the course.

Gears, beers and slices..
    I went up to pre-ride last Thursday. Here are my impressions from my initial visit to MountainView.

No, it's not on "the escarpment." It's on a small ski hill about 70km across the bay from "the escarpment."

Yes, there is a ton of climbing. The kind that hurts so good.

No, don't leave the granny gear at home.

Yes, the climbing is tough.

No, it does not resemble any of the other O-Cup courses. It's much tougher. It's actually a mountain bike course.

No, it's not a ROADIE course. Roadies will be crying, and asking for Albion. This is for mountain bikers that race.

Yes, it's rooty.

Yes, the locals are fast. They wear bright blue jerseys. Find them. Make friends with them. Ask them where the good lines are.

Yes, I raced the course on Thursday night.

No, I didn't see any of the locals after the first climb. They were gone.

Yes, there are some faster lines that will make big time differences. Study the course and figure them out, or follow a local on the pre-ride.

Yes, I need to get up there again and pre-ride.

Yes, there are switchback climbs.

No, I do not envy the singlespeeders.

Yes, there is a guy in the bush yelling "GIV'ER!!!"

No, we don't see that type of thing at Albion.

Yes, you will be breathing hard.

No, it's not "somewhat technical." It's very technical. Roots, turny, off-camber...good stuff.

Yes, it's got flow - if you ride it fast. Brake gently, and carry speed through the turns and up the climbs.

Yes, you will actually need technical skills. Remember what those are?

No, I don't mean technical repair skills.

Yes, it's got some big rocks in the way. Learn to ride over them.

No, you don't want to just "wing it."

Yes, it's also got a kick ass rock garden. Ride it. Love it. Find the fast line.

No, I don't feel sympathy for the singlespeeders. They choose that way of life, and they will face adversity on this course.

Yes, the majority of riders will be in for a shock.

No, it's not a bad shock. It's more of a reality check.

Yes, you will figure out quickly whether you are a good "technical" rider or not.

Yes, it is mostly singletrack, so you had better know the course so you know where to pass.

No, there is not a lot of passing opportunity in the singletrack. It's constantly up, down, left, right, rooty, etc. Know the passing zones. Be one with the passing zones. Because like Cadboury mini eggs, they are there for a limited time only.

Yes, it starts with a lungbusting climb straight up the ski hill.

No, the climb is not a big ring climb, but you can try it and see what happens.

Yes, the course is a welcome change from the "roadie" courses that seem to be taking over.

Yes, the course kicks ass. It will most likely kick your ass!!!

Yes, it's worth the drive up for a pre-ride or two.

Yes, MountainView should remain on the circuit as a standard stop.

And yes, I hope the guy in the bush yelling "GIV'ER" is there on race day. He's freakin awesome!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizza_Royale
    I went up to pre-ride last Thursday. Here are my impressions from my initial visit to MountainView.

Yes, the locals are fast. They wear bright blue jerseys. Find them. Make friends with them. Ask them where the good lines are.

No, I didn't see any of the locals after the first climb. They were gone.
    Yes, there is a guy in the bush yelling "GIV'ER!!!"
    Yes, it's got flow - if you ride it fast. Brake gently, and carry speed through the turns and up the climbs.

Yes, you will actually need technical skills. Remember what those are?
    Yes, the majority of riders will be in for a shock.

No, it's not a bad shock. It's more of a reality check.

Yes, you will figure out quickly whether you are a good "technical" rider or not.
    And yes, I hope the guy in the bush yelling "GIV'ER" is there on race day. He's freakin awesome!!!

Left a few in there. So the Giver guy is Nick and he will be there. I'll mention it to him that you were happy to hear him cheer.
    Yes the MCC is hoping to dominate the divisions.
    Yes if you are a road style rider you might want to go for a road ride instead of riding this course.
    Yes the course has flow, lots of flow, you just have to go fast.

Yes we wear light blue race kits, yes we are all very friendly if you have beer.

bi-winning
    No, you don't want to just "wing it."
    Pre-riding is for sissies.

[size=1]How much ya wanna bet I crash on the first lap?[/size]
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    3 laps on course, 2 racing. 3 crashes. More near misses. While I don't think the course really resembles it Hardwood is probably the closest match of the Ocups. I have heard more than a few people compare it to the Don; I don't entirely agree but there are sections reminiscent between the two, some fast off camber rooty type stuff. Maybe it's just because of the newness factor but I would consider this my fave ocup course. Hopefully I can put up a decent performance! I've had some trouble beating one particular Mountainview rider on every other course....so I think their total domination goal is not too far fetched in my category.

Will be trying to get back up this Thurs to dial some lines (hopefully to the tune of 1.5 mins/lap, ha!) and see if the lower gearing I put on my bike is low enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth
    3 laps on course, 2 racing. 3 crashes. More near misses. While I don't think the course really resembles it Hardwood is probably the closest match of the Ocups. I have heard more than a few people compare it to the Don; I don't entirely agree but there are sections reminiscent between the two, some fast off camber rooty type stuff. Maybe it's just because of the newness factor but I would consider this my fave ocup course. Hopefully I can put up a decent performance! I've had some trouble beating one particular Mountainview rider on every other course....so I think their total domination goal is not too far fetched in my category.

Will be trying to get back up this Thurs to dial some lines (hopefully to the tune of 1.5 mins/lap, ha!) and see if the lower gearing I put on my bike is low enough.

Yep, Lee will be the man to beat. He is faster this year and he killed it last year on a 5 inch trail bike. I'll be hoping for a top 10 in our division. Andrew are you thinking about adding a couple more gears? Like a 9 speed rear????

mtbr member
    Yep, Lee will be the man to beat. He is faster this year and he killed it last year on a 5 inch trail bike. I'll be hoping for a top 10 in our division. Andrew are you thinking about adding a couple more gears? Like a 9 speed rear????
    Up to 5 speeds now and counting. Managed to just barely climb everything in my 30/19, but for any hope of doing it lap 4 i needed to go lower. May go lower even still than my current 36/28 granny gear. (For the record this gearing is not a recommended guideline for anybody else.....)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    some of the course is the same as last year. I'd recomend you come up Saturday to preride. Glassford Grind is in for the 1:30 race only. There are are few changes but the course still hurts. There is pre riding both Friday and Saturday and then our weekly series on Thursday night which is using the course.
    What time does pre-riding start on Saturday? I am staying up for the weekend, and would like to get an early start to save time for my family...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty
    What time does pre-riding start on Saturday? I am staying up for the weekend, and would like to get an early start to save time for my family...
    I'm pretty sure it's 9am check chico's site to confirm it.

McB
    mtbr member

I love Mountainview and is definitely one of my favorite venues.. I raced your nine hour event and the Ontario Championship last year.. I am hoping to be racing the 9 hour again in a couple of weeks

I would consider this course the 3rd toughest race of the series. In my opinion, it is not more technical then Buckwallow. Buckwallow rock sections on the first and third single tracks in Ocup 5 definitely gave it the edge over Canada Cup and Mountain view.. I don't know how many people were pushing their bikes over those sections or would attempt to make the rocks and just couldn't do it.

Mountainview does have a lot more climbing and has a fair amount of danger to it with the roots and off camber single tracks. I think the Canada Cup course had the edge over it because of the combination of climbs and technical difficulty. Although Mountainview was very close in both those categories.

I am not a local to any of these courses and do not have an advantage of riding them all the time. I look at these courses on the amount of preparation I need before the race. Buckwallow and the Canada Cup, I was there the week before pre riding and then pre riding again the Friday before the race. I consider that Mandatory. MountainView, I will be there on Friday. I must admit, if it were open to the public then I probably would have been there yesterday or sunday but I would consider that optional..

Two of my friends raced Mountainview last Thursday and one of the guys told it was tough course but rideable.. The log rollover in the rock garden is intimidating but doable.. BUT there is LOTS OF CLIMBING

As for Hardtail vs FS.. Which bike climbs better?
    Rider Up,

Mike McB

"Over Thinking, Over Analyzing, Seperates the Mind from the Body" - Tool

mtbr member
    Last year the Mountainview O-Cup was held in pouring rain and the course held up very well. I would compare Mountainview with Hardwood. Personally I don't remember it being crazy technical, although it is no roadie heaven. I just remember the climbs, especially the initial climb for lap 2 and 3. I had to walk most of it, gasping for every breath. I also remember some long flat sections, so gear selection is difficult.

I will pre-ride Saturday.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Evil Jr.
    No, I do not envy the singlespeeders.
    While you guys are busy debating whether to go hard tail or full squish, I'm going back and forth on which shoes to wear. Do I go with the comfy-for-walking Sidis or the super-rigid Specializeds? Herm...

As usual, my first lap will be my pre-ride. I should have most of the lines figured out by lap 3!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

I Wanna Be Sedated
    I have no death wish, so I guess I'll take Friday off work for a pre-ride. I'm still trying to decide if I need to look for a hotel on Saturday night - the 9:30am start is not exactly conducive to a 2.5-3h drive in the morning...
    Jouko

McB
    mtbr member
    Hey Jouko,

For me Midland is just under a 2 hour drive from North Etobicoke..

I am preriding it Friday Afternoon..
    Rider Up,

Mike McB

"Over Thinking, Over Analyzing, Seperates the Mind from the Body" - Tool

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Maybe it isn't as bad as I thought...looks like the drive will be more or less equal in length to the Boler Mountain drive. Oh well, Sunday morning oatmeal at 5:30 am it is.

Quote Originally Posted by McB
    Hey Jouko,

For me Midland is just under a 2 hour drive from North Etobicoke..

I am preriding it Friday Afternoon..
    Jouko

two-wheeler
    Jul 2008
    Glad to see some rain in the forecast for Saturday. This will definitely IMPROVE the conditions for Sunday!

mtbr member
    Good luck Lee...Have a good race!

N.

Quote Originally Posted by _Quimby_
    Glad to see some rain in the forecast for Saturday. This will definitely IMPROVE the conditions for Sunday!
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast