Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Mountainview 9 Hour - 2009 Edition

Hello Everyone,

Well, its that time of year again - the Mountainview 9 Hour is fast approaching. This year, it will take place on Saturday, August 15/09. This event is much like other relay events, except with a few exciting twists, including bonus events that count toward your final result, unique medals, good music, and a giant cheque!

New for this year, the family challenge category. This category is for families who love to ride. Husbands/wives/kids...no inventing relationships for this one...

you can find more information, and online registration at www.mountainviewmidland.com/9hr.htm
    Thanks..

Misfit Psycles
    Done.
    The PayPal feature was a nice unexpected bonus...beats bidding on glitter gloves and other MJ trinkets on ebay...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

bi-winning
    I've had this race in the back of my mind for a while. I don't like missing a day of work, or the nearly three hour drive, but a part of me still really wants to go for a LONG ride at Mountainview....
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I heard it was a lot of fun last yr. Unfortunately I have to work that weekend too. Already took SS and Fly Gurlz off. Maybe next yr.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I've had this race in the back of my mind for a while. I don't like missing a day of work, or the nearly three hour drive, but a part of me still really wants to go for a LONG ride at Mountainview....
    That's the weekend just after my exams are over. I might be game to do a tag team, and share on transportation from Niagara while we're at it...

McB
    mtbr member
    I did it last year and it was a ton of fun.. I learned something about my cycling skills.. I just can't do the limbo on a mountain bike.

I am definitely considering doing it again this year!
    Rider Up,

Mike McB

"Over Thinking, Over Analyzing, Seperates the Mind from the Body" - Tool

mtbr member
    I have to pass, but for a good reason. That weekend is our anniversary and I am taking my wife to Mont Tremblant for a few days. We love that place.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    That's the weekend just after my exams are over. I might be game to do a tag team, and share on transportation from Niagara while we're at it...
    Hey, that sounds like a good offer. Early bird registration date is July 30th, so keep it in mind, and maybe we can tear it up on a tag team.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Evil Jr.
    That pie is mine I tell you! If there's one thing I'm good at, it's combined eating and riding!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

veldrijder
    I will make up my mind before the 30th... but I don't see why not at this point.

mtbr member
    This is the best course of the year for any of the 8-9 hours. I'll be there for sure. Garage Monster you are welcome to my slice of the pie,

mtbr member
    My payment is processed. Solo it is.

Lets see if I can keep my bike upright for 8+ hours this year.

two-wheeler
    Jul 2008

For sure ..

Definitely looking forward to the 9hr. one of the "more funnerer lesser intenser" races. Don't get me wrong, always good competition (last year we had a team of Ontario Summer Games riders, if I'm not mistaken). But the relaxed atmosphere and singletrack without hordes of riders make for an awesome day of riding!

bi-winning
    Reminder: today is the last day to save on entry fees.

jmoote, you have email

sock puppet

is there camping available on site

for Friday night? If there is, are there minimum facilities available?

thx

Oggie

Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Reminder: today is the last day to save on entry fees.

jmoote, you have email

snowbound
    Jan 2005

I participated last year

It knocked the crap out of me. Don't know if I took off too fast, the heat, or just all the climbing - but I found that to be the toughest solo endurance race I have ever taken part in. Bonked after 6 laps, hurts just to remember it, but I did get a really nice t-shirt out of it!

mtbr member
    Oggie,

No camping on site i'm afraid, generally we suggest you check out Smith's Camp http://www.smithscamp.ca/ which is only 5-10 minutes across town.

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    i can't get the online reg to work is won't go to the process payment part...just goes blank. hopefully this isn't a sign. I'll try again at home tonight.

mtbr member
    teebor,

Just checked the site, everything is ok on this end. Also, your info is showing up in the registration database. If Paypal continues to be stubborn, send me a PM and we'll sort it out.

bi-winning
    I just registered me and jmoote, aka "Team (what's the) Rush" for the tag team category.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by teebor76xc
    i can't get the online reg to work is won't go to the process payment part...just goes blank. hopefully this isn't a sign. I'll try again at home tonight.
    For whatever reason the registration form claimed my email address is invalid - same deal as last year. Fortunately I had another one it likes better.

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    apparently it had to do with the powers at work not liking me buying ****e on company time....deal is done with 20 minutes to spare...can't wait... no hills right just a view of the mountain?

mtbr member
    For those about to do the Ontario Cup race this weekend. Why not sign up for the 9 hour the weekend after and get to see some more of the trails Mountainview has to offer.

I'll be pedalling around for just over 9 hours.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 24 solo
    For those about to do the Ontario Cup race this weekend. Why not sign up for the 9 hour the weekend after and get to see some more of the trails Mountainview has to offer.

Any idea how long the laps are going to be? Looking at last years results, they appear to be 7-8 km (25-30 minute laps), is that the plan again? Or will they be longer like the other 8 hours (10km, 30-35 min).

I might be coming unsupported and just want to have the supplies well planned out.

mtbr member
    Not sure at this point Thomas will come up with something good though. Possibly a version of the o-cup course?

mtbr member
    Hey,

course won't really resemble the O-cup course very much at all. Of course, while many of the trails are the same, the Ocup course is an up-and-down, highly technical, lets hammer for 1.5-2 hours type of affair...the 9 hour course is more of a how-fast-can-i-rail-these-corners-but-still-more-tech-and-climbing-than-other-8-hours style...expect the laps to be 25-30 minutes...distance? I don't have a computer, so who knows..

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by tmas
    I don't have a computer, so who knows..
    if you don't have a computer, how was that reply posted?
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    if you don't have a computer, how was that reply posted?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

two-wheeler
    Jul 2008
    I was going to make some elaborate explanation about 29" wheels, increased centrifugal force, bending the space/time continuum and aligning of bits . . . but i like your answer much better.

mtbr member
    I have a computer at work, but they get angry when I take it home for the weekend and it comes back muddy and has caution tape stuck in the fan.

Boy, nobody likes ambiguity.

Misfit Psycles
    I have a computer at work, but they get angry when I take it home for the weekend and it comes back muddy and has caution tape stuck in the fan.

Boy, nobody likes ambiguity.
    would you say your employer dislikes caution tape intrusions MORE or LESS then time theft or misappropriation of corporate assets (in this case, you)?
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    More. They seem pretty happy with my rate of productivity. Seems a little harsh to suggest that my position is a misappropriation, though I guess it might be a little easier for me to slip through the cracks when the "corporation" to which I am a member of hosts multiple employees. On the other hand, it does add a level of accountability when spending time on forums can't be passed off as a form of "business development."

Misfit Psycles
    On the other hand, it does add a level of accountability when spending time on forums can't be passed off as a form of "business development."
    touche!

i must admit i was a bit punchy after SPAK declared:
    in the same post he was trying to ENCOURAGE registration...of course, the new me, did not want to resort to childish antics and antagonistic responses so i looked for a sand castle to sit on...

sorry.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Thought I would get this bit started again. Looks like the weather will be ummm perfect for this weekend. I know a few of the guys were out marking the trails today and getting things ready.

Misfit Psycles
    rode mountain view for the FIRST time yesterday at the OCUP.
    despite the weather (the 930 start got hit hard), that place is nothing short of AMAZING...

you have my word and SPAK's personal (READ: financial) guarantee that the cost of entry is worth it just to ride there!

plus, tmas is a pretty good kid.
    one of the better good kids.
    maybe the best that the Wii generation has to offer.

that and i'd really like it if he KEPT organizing events and stayed off the TESTORS (as he's been rumored to do in moments of idleness).
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    The course is awesome. Come on out and play. There is day of registration, come ride Mountainview in perfect conditions.

veldrijder
    Looking forward to it!

bi-winning
    Last edited by rkj__; 08-16-2009 at 11:22 AM.

rad to the power of sick
    I think the cost of material outweighs the value of the cheque.

great pictures as always Ryan.

mtbr member
    It was a great day. it didn't rain!!!!! I think some would have liked it. Great photo's Ryan

mtbr member
    It was a great day. it didn't rain!!!!! I think some would have liked it. Great photo's Ryan

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yup, good times!! Saw lots of familiar forum faces.
    Was fun doing tag team for a change. My husband and I had a blast trying to beat each others lap times.
    A great, low-key race on super trails with hardly any traffic. That downhill section rocked!
    Definitely worth the drive out. An awesome day in the saddle for sure.
    I'm sure tired today though, 77kms of Zone 3/4 instead of my usual lazy bum pace.
    High on Life

Evil Jr.
    That looks like it was awesome. So disappointed I had to miss it. I had my pie-eating bib ready and everything!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    I think the cost of material outweighs the value of the cheque.
    You're just jealous.
    Last edited by rkj__; 08-16-2009 at 03:08 PM.

bi-winning
    Again, it saddens me that so many of you failed to attend. You missed the best 8/9 hour race of the year. Maybe I just have a soft spot in my heart for "the little guy" when it comes to organizing races?

Well anyways, it is a small race, and it has a cozy feeling to it. It's only about a 2.5h drive from Niagara Falls, which is still reasonable, especially when carpooling. Me and jmoote got there plenty early, and parked only meters from the race course - no O-Cup style 1km hike to get to your car.

Neither me or jmoote cared too much who started the race. I volunteered for no reason other than to make a decision. When the time came, I started pretty hard. Probably harder than I should have. Perhaps just because the trail was so much fun. The first two laps felt like the O-Cup race I was expecting to have last weekend, instead of the slop fest we got. The pleasant weather really helped to make up for the not so pleasant weather last weekend. The trails are very fun when they are dry and completely rideable.

Copious amounts of singletrack, separated by a couple sections of wide open doubletrack. There is a great mix of swooping singletrack, rooty climbs, steep decents, rooty decents, uphill switchbacks, downhill switchbacks, rock piles, easy lines, hard lines, plenty of opportunities to scare your self, and plenty of sections to put a smile on your face. All the good stuff that a mountain biker should want is there. With the lower number of riders out on course, passing slower riders was a non issue. Not once did I get held up at all.

My first couple laps were all middle and big ring riding. On many of the climbs there is really only two ways to get up, either walk, or giv'er. When fresh, the course was very fun. Technical enough to demand care at most times, and really really fun to ride fast.

But, the course became quite a bit more difficult for me as I got just a little bit fatigued. It really gives you a full body workout. The creek bed decent was super fun to bomb through on the first laps. As I got a little more tired, I started to hit some of the rocks a little harder than I should have, but I was not smart enough to tone it back. I continued to rip down it, but as I got more fatigued, disaster was bound to strike. Fortunately for me, when it did, the result was not personal injury, only a pinch flat. Psssssssssst. I was a little disappointed, but not really surprised. Did not lose a ton of time, and the event did act as a reminder to ride a little more cautiously as I became more fatigued.

As soon as the first results were published, it became apparent to me that we would be contending for a podium spot - as I was hoping for. Due to us starting out hard, we were even in first place for a bit. But, as we started to slow down, we found that the Lapdogs were slowing down less, and they pulled ahead, out of our reach. That left us out to defend second place, a task which would prove to be challenging.

As others have mentioned, it was a hot day, and that was affecting many, including jmoote. I was out on the course taking pictures when I was called to the start area. I just figured they needed clarification regarding one of the bonus events or something. However, as it turned out, jmoote was unable to finish his lap due to cramping. It was an unexpected surprise for me, but in a flash, I was back out on my bicycle.

More riding, more smiles, more sweat, more dust, blah blah blah, PIE eating contest! A few minutes before the event, I did not think I could possibly consume half a pie. I was having a hard time taking deep breaths, eating much, or drinking much. However, I had to compete, so I grabbed a spot at the picnic table, and selected a pie. Although I did not down it nearly as fast as the winner, I got it all down, a little easier than expected. And yes, it stayed down.

As I finished up my last double of the day, I was exhausted. Pace was reduced to hardly moving, spinning the megarange granny gear up climbs. Got to the finish line, tagged jmoote, and collapsed. I laid down for a while, which proved to be really refreshing.

It was about 6pm (last rider must be out by 6:30) and it looked like we would get just one more lap in. Me and jmoote were again indecisive about who would do the last lap. It was starting to turn into too long of a discussion, so I proposed rock/paper/scissors. I won, and sent jmoote out on the last lap. However, after talking to CptSydor and tmas, it seemed that I might have time to get one last lap in after jmoote returned, so I readied myself. I was unsure if he would make it back in time, but he pulled up with 2 minutes to spare, and for one final lap, I was off.

This proved to be critical, as we needed the last lap to hold onto second place. The rest I took proved to be very beneficial, and I was feeling a little more peppy. Got to the end of the last section of singletrack, and was greeted by the lovely sound of cowbells. Ahh, finished at last.

When all was said and done, our elapsed time was only about a minute ahead of third place. What a day.

The prizes were good too. Medals with PEZ dispensers attached. Instant gratification. And Cheerios. Hooray for breakfast. Oh, and the t-shirts were cool as always. Plus Nature Valley bars with registration, plus good draw prizes. I walked away with a nice big container of Hammer HEED. Definitely worth the (low) cost of registration.

Thanks to the Wood family, Mountainview Cycling Club, and all of the others who made this event happen.

mtbr member
    Great race report Ryan. Glad you had fun out there. Home course or not I think that these are the type of courses that the 8/9 hour races should be. I will say that my hands have not been this sore in a long time from all the brakes down the steep technical decents. Of course I would change the course in any way. It's back to the root of mountain biking

veldrijder
    My report is up on the blog, linked below. If you read Ryan's, you've got the idea of what happened but you can read mine for a different perspective. Here's the condensed version:

I woke at around 5:30, opting to consume breakfast during the long drive rather than loose sleep. I picked up my teammate for the day, followed by a coffee and breakfast sandwich at Tim Hortons and we were off. 2.5 hours later, we arrived at the race venue with plenty of time to get signed in and casually prepared for the start.

Ryan started off the day with a fast couple of laps, which I followed with two of my own. Our plan was to do this until we came up with a reason not to. More on that to come. 6 laps and a few hours into the race and the first results posted had us in first place with Lapdogs charging fast behind. It turns out they weren't slowing down much, and we were. That left us in second, but on the same lap and a lap up on third.

About 7 hours into the race, the heat and hours on the tough course got to me, and on the second lap of my double I had a terrible leg cramp about 2/3 of the way up the switchback ski hill climb. I pushed the rest of the way up with a mix of running (walking) and riding, but on reaching the top I realized it wasn't going away, and I coasted down the service road to get Ryan out on the course in my place. So with a wasted 10 minute partial lap, and a cramping leg I was a bit worried about the remaining 2 hours left in the race. Not wanting to leave the rest of it up to Ryan, and not wanting to concede our 2nd place standing I knew I had to get back on the bike so I set to work on refueling and nursing the leg. This took the form of a pepsi, a clif bar and a handful of bacon, as well as much massaging of the muscles in question. Ryan came by after one lap and I told him I'd be good to go next time around.

Back it came to my turn and I was actually feeling good. I told Ryan I'd try to do a double, but we'll see. After 1 lap at a pace much slower than the day had started, it looked like we had time for just one more. Both of us quite tired, we used rock paper scissors to decide who would go, and it was me for one more. Off I went.

It wasn't too far into my lap and I noticed a woman coming up on me quite fast... hmm, is she on that 3rd place tag team? I'd better get moving in case. This turned out to be a good thing, as I arrived back at the finish with about 2 minutes to spare, and just under 2 minutes over our competitor. Ryan had time to do one more. As it turned out so did the woman on our rival team, as she came in about 10 seconds before the clock ran out. Ryan's last lap was a repeat of mine, realizing that the rider on his tail was our competition, and picking it up to finish ahead.

We concluded the day with less than a minute over 2nd place, before bonus time. Bonus time you say? Oh yes, this event, in addition to 9 hours of riding includes four bonus events. This year that consisted of a bike limbo, pie eating contest, a slingshot game and feedzone competition (collecting numerous bottles while riding without dropping any). The bonus events netted us 15 minutes off our time, while our rivals in third only got 3 bonus minutes. Our result would stand, after some good racing against the teams in front of and behind us.
    Last edited by jmoote; 08-16-2009 at 06:21 PM.

Gears, beers and slices..
    What a fantastic course!!! That was my first time doing the Mountainview 9hr. I've done plenty of the Chico 8's at Mansifeld and Hardwood, and this was BY FAR the best course ever! I'm starting to really dig coming up to Mountainview.

Great event, low cost, cool shirts, love the side events, and prizes galore. The host club is great, soming around to all the teams with water and watermelon...what a treat on a hot day. (almost) all of the participants were pretty chill (there was one intense chick that kept screaming at people to get out of the way on the trail). I think there were only 80ish riders, but half of that field were fast O-cup podium finishers.

There are 4 events that your team must participate in, and you can gain bonus time if you do well. Sling shot and pie eating were fun, but the guys that won the bike limbo and the bottle carry were mighty impressive!!!

Really, this event is in every way the hidden secret of Ontario mtb racing.

mtbr member
    My report...

After a DNF at last years provincials, I really wanted to come back out and ride Mountainview. Might as well get the best for your buck, so solo it was.

Having done nothing resembling training since April and still carrying my winter warmth, I figured I was just out paying my dues to ride some new trails. Rolled in an hour early, figured I might have lost out on a the primo solo spots....then I quickly realized this was a little more grass roots that the other relay races I've done. Drove right through the course and planted my cooler almost in the transition area. First time unsupported in one of these events, and my timing was almost impeccable staggering my bottles to thaw so that I had cold drink all day! RKJ just topped up a couple bottles with cold water part way through and I was golden.

As most people have said before, the course was demanding. Lots of singletrack, and not much of it was easy, but really fun to ride. Never an issue with passing. Actually, most of the time when someone came up behind me, I was more shocked and just pulled right over. There were laps when I didn't see people at all. It was nice not worrying about passing or being passed, but mildly lonely. A few laps I didn't see another rider.

I started off slowly. Went out with the main pack for the first 1-2 km, but knew I couldn't keep that pace so I backed off and just rode. Got passed by a few solos on the second lap, so I figured there wasn't much point trying to go fast, just survive the heat and enjoy the day. About halfway through, my body started aching. My hands, feet, triceps, forearms were screaming with pain. The heat was getting to me and I started thinking that I had a good 4 hour trail ride done and could head home with a great ride under my belt ( without making it torturous).

Came through the transition, was ready to pack up and jmoote just casually said to me that the heat was getting to everyone and no one looked all that great. Truth or not, that motivated me to attempt another lap. During that lap I hear rumors that I wasn't in dead last place and got first hand recounts that people were really starting to fade. For some reason, that made my spirits lift dramatically. The pains settled into the comfortably numb stage, a few clouds came in to dull the sun on the open sections and I found a second life. I didn't go fast, but I just kept on going. No mechanicals, no crashes, nothing interesting.

Just after 8 hours I pulled the plug. I had plenty of time for 2 more laps and could have easily churned them out, but with a 2 hour drive back to Hamilton, the extra hour gave me plenty of time to slowly pack, clean up, rest and convince RKJ he could do that 9-91/2 hour lap.

The events were a great little bonus. I wasn't planning on doing them, until nogears rode up next to me and said he just gained 10 minutes on me for riding under stick, I figured it
    was time to get involved. I tried the next two, but didn't attempt the pie eating contest.

Another added bonus was I got some great nutritional experience under my belt. As with many, I've experienced some serious stomach issues in previous 8 or 24 hour events. I think I've isolated some of the major culprits and introduced some new sources. Even in the heat, I had no stomach issues what so ever, first time I've finished a race that long and not had any sort of queezyness (and was pretty hungry as well).

I'll be back again.

More than a little slow
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    As with many, I've experienced some serious stomach issues in previous 8 or 24 hour events. I think I've isolated some of the major culprits and introduced some new sources. Even in the heat, I had no stomach issues what so ever, first time I've finished a race that long and not had any sort of queezyness (and was pretty hungry as well).
    Well good. It`s `bout time you figured it out. So, Solstice or maybe Hardcore24 in NY state next year hmmm?
    Guess I can`t really say anything until I pony up and race Mountainview 9hr. Sounds like y`all had a blast.
    Cheers, Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast