mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Mountain Biking in mainstream Canadian Media

I follow a lot of Canadain sports media... TSN.ca is my homepage, listen to the Fan 590 a lot, newspaper, Sportscenter, etc. Don't think I can ever recall mountain biking ever being on any of those sources (except maybe Permont and Olympic medals), but randomly today on the front page of TSN.ca I see a message about Gange winning Canadain summer games (http://www.tsn.ca/canada_games/story/?id=288010).

Would have thought with all the World Cup wins, Canada Cups, US Pro circuit, would have made it... but apparently this if the first big mountain biking news since Permont in the Olympics. Don't even think Lance at Leadville on saturday made it!

humber river advocate
    here's some from the globe...
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1249861/

is so tempting to head out...
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutzy
    I follow a lot of Canadain sports media... TSN.ca is my homepage, listen to the Fan 590 a lot, newspaper, Sportscenter, etc. Don't think I can ever recall mountain biking ever being on any of those sources (except maybe Permont and Olympic medals), but randomly today on the front page of TSN.ca I see a message about Gange winning Canadain summer games (http://www.tsn.ca/canada_games/story/?id=288010).

Would have thought with all the World Cup wins, Canada Cups, US Pro circuit, would have made it... but apparently this if the first big mountain biking news since Permont in the Olympics. Don't even think Lance at Leadville on saturday made it!
    See image below from 3 weeks ago. Not that you aren't generally correct though. Mountain biking is a fringe sport, and in the grand scheme of things has very little money in it compared to any of the other pro sports that tend to make headlines. Road racing gets far more regular mainstream coverage when key events are on, because there's way more sponsorship money tied up in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking for Adventure

It is a matter of no major corporate interest, little sponsorship, and little public interest. Got to agree with Circlip.

Money, love/sex, and power make the world go round. Mountain biking doesn't deliver much in any of those areas........and passion doesn't pay the bills.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    It is a matter of no major corporate interest, little sponsorship, and little public interest.
    Then again, the CFL still gets coverage.

I guess there's an exception to every rule.

humber river advocate
    the future is here...
    http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/

all the people i work with are excited about it (even in timmins), all other sport are like meh... except cricket.

xc racing is like watching paint dry... alot of young folks really have no interest in it. plus it requires serious time investment and a fairly healthy pocket book to get into. not to mention how lame it all looks from their perspective. bmx, dirt jumping and the like will keep growing simply because you can do it anywhere, without a car, without spending big bucks, in an empty lot or backyard...
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 08-19-2009 at 06:59 AM.
    Support TORBA

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Yes the CBC had racing on last Sat' but that's the exception. How many people across Canada bike?

We seem to get a pile of freestyle moguls & aerials coverage during the winter. How many Canadians participate in those disciplines? If you tried any of those stunts @ the local ski hill you's get booted pretty quick.

We've been reading that interest in hockey is dropping. What are we going to be subjected to Cricket Night in Canada? Supposedly soccer is the up & coming sport in Canada. Well my nephew (now 12) played it for 2 summers & was bored stiff. This spring he played his 3rd season of box lacrosse & has loved it since he started.

I know what you guys mean though, we hear about Canucks winning @ "world class" events in other sports (Joe Smith of Estevan Sask' won his 3rd consecutive World Yahtzee Championship), but little about cyclists other than Lori-Ann Muenzer winning Olympic gold. Even though Clara Hughes won 2 bronze medals cycling, she garnered more coverage skating.
    Last edited by revrnd; 08-18-2009 at 03:04 PM.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

All my faucets is Moen.
    I tried to explain to a friend that Kabush winning a World Cup was a huge deal but he didnít get it. Iím mean Kabush has been around for maybe a decade racing world cups and in the Olympics but people say, ĒJeff Kabush? Whoís that?Ē The guy has just won 5 of his last 6 races and the one miss was a 3rd in a world cup and it doesnít get a mention.

Gagne only made it because it was the Canada Games.

I guess as cyclist we expect that our sport should be covered more but the truth is nobody gives a ****. Iím sure fencers and kayakers think the same but you donít really care who just won a big fencing tourney do you?

Ok everyone quiet down, Matt Dunigun is about to say something clever.

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Then again, the CFL still gets coverage.

I guess there's an exception to every rule.
    Well, that is where the power of the owners comes into play.....notibly the Argonauts. Plus, it still gets some crowds for games here.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket
    xc racing is like watching paint dry... alot of young folks really have no interest in it. plus it requires serious time investment and a fairly healthy pocket book to get into it. not to mention how lame it all looks from their perspective. bmx, dirt jumping and the like will keep growing simply because you can do it anywhere, without a car, without spending big bucks, in an empty lot or backyard...
    Totally agree. We should just round up all the XC riders and fill a ditch with them. Most certainly the lowest of all cycling lifeforms. They're kidding themselves if they think they're having any fun whatsoever. The couple of hundred junior age XC racers at most of the O-Cup races, plus all sorts more in the Hardwood Hills programs and high school races need to be saved before it's too late.

Singlespeed Mysty

that's Premont...

not Permont ... I am a huge fan of hers and I don't even think she gets the media coverage that she deserves...
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Totally agree. We should just round up all the XC riders and fill a ditch with them. Most certainly the lowest of all cycling lifeforms. They're kidding themselves if they think they're having any fun whatsoever. The couple of hundred junior age XC racers at most of the O-Cup races, plus all sorts more in the Hardwood Hills programs and high school races need to be saved before it's too late.
    i understand your cognitive inflexabilty... yup a lot of people are on bikes (200 eh? i wonder if 200 cars drove there also... ugh the traffic on the 400) ... getting around, just riding, shopping, going to work etc. here are some stats
    http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/statistics-tables.htm#age

would like to see newer ones...

in other news... seal meat! the new diet craze!?

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/682588
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 08-18-2009 at 08:40 PM.
    Support TORBA

ups and downs
    Fer cryin' out loud they keep putting poker on sports TV, that's like watching paint dry, how is that a sport?

The TV coverage that CBC provided for the UCI/Freecaster streaming feed was some of the best they have had so far, more cameras than usual at both MSA and Bromont. Not quite the OTT Beijing coverage with 48 cameras, but they actually had Leslie Tomlinson as a colour commentator in the highlight reel they had on CBC. Sadly the media continue to only hit the hilights and don't look at the stories behind the podium (or non-podium).

I see that on MHP's website, there's a statement from Marie that she has been tested for exercise induced asthma and she has a substantial 28% drop in lung capacity from exercise, so she will qualify to use an inhaler at the World Championships. Running at 72% lung capacity she still came 13th at Bromont. Damn she is one determined young gal!

Thank gawd for Cycligdirt.org, Cort is providing the best media coverage that North American XC MTB racing has ever seen. I sure hope he isn't losing his shirt doing that.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

banned
    Feb 2005

Mainstream ???

MTBing will never get mainstream coverage because it is really boring to watch unless you know someone in the race. But we are improving as a sport because it is so much fun to actually do. Hardwood Hills has never been busier on their Wednesday race night, especially the young riders. Our bikes have come a long way in the last decade. I could not have envisioned riding something as fantastic as I do now. The trails are starting to become much more engineered and sustainable. IMBA has driven the designing of trails to a new level and they are such a pleasure to feel under your tires.

For me MTBing remains a quite pleasure where the forest is still a forest, not Canada’s Wonderland. I do enjoy meeting a few people on the trails, but the less the better. Sort of like a powder day with no lift lines, not a boat on the calm lake while I cut some roosters, just you and a buddy at your favorite fishing spot. My sports have nature as a big part of why I do them. If popularity obscures my view of nature, then that would lessen my experience.

We need to improve our product…trails…before we can handle more riders.

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat Tyred
    MTBing will never get mainstream coverage because it is really boring to watch unless you know someone in the race.
    I get it... but if mountain biking WOULD become mainstream then it would be a lot easier to start new trail project and get better infrastructure. Skiing and snowboarding are pretty mainstream... but then again, it doesn't get more coverage... and is pretty boring to watch the alpine stuff (and i use to race SL and GS on the provincial circuit).

I couldn't care less about watching races on TV... I don't care much for races and racers... but the evolution of our sport and the new recreation opportunity it brings at large for the communities who welcome mountain biking in their area is the key.

If you want your sport to get more "media attention", bring forward to the local papers the good things your local club did for the community... Bring the spotlight over and show that mountain bikers are a great usergroup that has done a lot to help people recreate outside rather then spend time on the net or in front of the TV.

If you want media attention, get your club to participate in the "Take a kid mountain biking day" on Sat. Oct 3rd... That will get the local media going! And it will secure the future of our sport!
    ADSVMQ :: Quebec mountain bike trail advocacy group www.ADSVMQ.org

GAME ON!
    downhill should be fun to watch, but they won't even show that. however, ride guide is on late at night and should get you your fill.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Speaking of how mountain biking on TV, how poor was the Beijing coverage? I thought it was boring... can't imagine anyone who wasn't 'in to' mountain biking would think.

Too me what I like about mountain biking is progression. I would hope there was more coverage of people doing things for the first time. For example, a freerider pulled 720 with a whatever trick, or Canadain rider completes Tour Divide in record time (I mean honestly, how insane that someone can complete that route in 17 days - how does that race not make coverage!).

ups and downs
    One of the worst problems they had with the Beijing coverage was a roadie doing commentary instead of a mountain biker, and because they had so many cameras they weren't doing a great job of keeping a bunch of the riders in context as far as where they were and how things were progressing in the race. Without some reference point one bit of single track looks like most other trail sections.

A lot of MTB XC races are going to be like current F1 races, mostly the best riders go off the front and lead and only when they have some kind of problem does it become a strategy race involving anyone else. Sometimes you get a surprise rider out front and they fade or someone comes up from the 8th spot to win.

Any of the individual athlete sports tend to only be interesting for viewers who are already into the sport, whether that's archery, shot put, pole vault, or MTB racing. You're pretty much cheering for the athletes you know or follow.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada