Looking for Adventure

We the people ... Mountain Bike Adventure / Orienteering Race Mansfield May 31

A fun half day mountain bike adventure/orienteering race will be held at Mansfield Outdoor Centre this Sunday, May 31. This will be the first of its kind in Ontario, as far as I know. Read all about it here

http://caledonnavigators.heysport.com/archives/31/

You will need to bring a compass and you will be given a map, which has various checkpoints that must be visited as you may or may not get lost. Buddy up with someone and have a really fun time. Play follow another team, or blaze your own routes through the forest.

What have you got to lose other than a frown on your face.
    And get some great Mansfield riding in as well.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Anybody here ever try an event like this?
    Is it worth it to ride Mansfield? I hear tons of good stuff from years back and now it's closed to public.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have done some MTB Orienteering at two Adventure races, you are just trying to find the quickest way around the existing trail system for this type of orienteering event. As for Mansfield, I would love to go just for the opportunity to ride their again. (I wonder how much of a ride you could fit in after the O event ends?) If nothing else the map you will receive will be second to NONE for accuracy.

Unfortunatelly I just cannot fit in this event this year. Finances.

This would be pretty cool.

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

Looking for Adventure
    Mansfield is always a good place to ride. It will remain open after the race for all participants.

max_29
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Mansfield is always a good place to ride. It will remain open after the race for all participants.
    their website http://caledonnavigators.heysport.com/archives/31/ says

1:00 p.m. Course closed

or will it be closed only for those wearing a map case around a neck ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sounds like fun nonetheless. Might give it a try with my son. Haven't done any orienteering since grade school. Couldn't get any more lost than last week in HIlton Falls and Agreement Forest.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    did one of these in 3 stages. Good fun. ITs all about route choice - minimizing the uphills, and getting on the most flowly singletrack so you can keep riding!

Looking for Adventure
    About 40 people showed up for this race, and what a great race it was. A good handful of elite adventure racers were part of the pack, and man, can they move! They can put most O-Cup racers to shame at overall speed, and they are reading a map and looking for a hidden checkpoint while flying at high speed. Bob Miller won overall, a name known around the world for adventure racing, and not too shabby on a mountain bike.

I made great progress through all the checkpoints, and found myself among the company of the top 7 performers at the finish, only to find that I forgot to hit 2 out of 21 checkpoints! CRAP! I guess when you are anearobic half the time, not much blood makes it to the brain.

Determined not to DNF, I went back and got the 2 checkpoints, which of course were the furthest away from the finish. Got them and finished, and not in last place, thank God.

Those Mansfield trails are now in supreme shape due to low traffic on them these days......Sweet!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thank you for not braging about it Ricksom. Just wished I could have made it. Was it succesful enough for a repeat this year or are there any plans for other sites?

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

Looking for Adventure
    More will come....