Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004

Montreal and Quebec riding info

Hello all,

Here's a quick list of riding tips and info for MTBR members who would like more info about the riding scene in Quebec. If you're looking for multi-days of riding, there should be enough locations on the ride directory to help pick a destination. This is not "the official" or "the ultimate" guide to mountain biking in Quebec but a compilation of links with loads of info that will get you started on your journey.

Federation Quebecoise des Sports Cyclistes (www.FQSC.net) runs the sport as far as racing goes. You'll get all the info about races all over the province

www.ADSVMQ.org :: Trail advocacy group --- IMBA's representative in Quebec. If there are trail issues or if you want to know about trail maintenance, this is the place to be. We have projects all over Quebec and we're working hard to develop new mountain biking opportunity in various region.

www.AllezY.net :: Trail directory of official Quebec trails. (Also includes lots of trails in Vermont, NH, NY, MA and even Ontario!) The trail directory is in french but the forum is billingual so don't be affraid to come in and ask questions or just to say hi.

www.ClubVeloEpic.org :: Bike club from Montreal who organizes rides all over Quebec and the Northeast.

www.LesCoeursVaillants.qc.ca :: Bike club on the south shore of Montreal with the only official trail system nearby. Acess is restricted but the site is open for the public on weekends.

www.clubVVM.blogspot.com :: This is a new bike club that's been created to promote mountain biking as a legitimate outdoor sport in the Missisquoi Valley (Mansonville area). We're working hard to get a network of trail built. We're presently looking for local riders and builders to help build the new sections of singletrack. The Missiquoi Valley is located between a few mountain biking hot spots like: Bromont, Coaticook, Kingdom Trails and the future Stowe Ride Center that will link a lot of singletrack area in Northern and Central Vermont.

Bike shops in Montreal in Google Map :: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...2,0.30899&z=12
    ADSVMQ :: Quebec mountain bike trail advocacy group www.ADSVMQ.org

swm
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks Bigjay,
    but... http://www.lescoeursvaillants.qc.ca/
    >>Il n'y a pas d'accès aux visiteurs pour 2009.
    Seulement les invités des membres de Trivélo et Coeurs Vaillants pourrons avoir accès aux pistes.
    Tel qu'exigé par la Défense Nationale pour la saison 2009.<<
    ....no mention about week-ends.

I'm probably going to check out East Hereford this week-end.

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by swm
    Thanks Bigjay,
    but... http://www.lescoeursvaillants.qc.ca/
    >>Il n'y a pas d'accès aux visiteurs pour 2009.
    Seulement les invités des membres de Trivélo et Coeurs Vaillants pourrons avoir accès aux pistes.
    Tel qu'exigé par la Défense Nationale pour la saison 2009.<<
    Yeah... heard that this week... but lots of people working hard on this so it does open again to the public... Season hasn't started there yet... It's a really bad situation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    How strict is the 3 person rule at CV? I like to ride during the week, it's almost impossible to get 2 other guys to ride with, 1 other person is not a problem but 2....................

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    pretty strict... but they have a forum on their website where you can contact people and organize something.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I Just bought my heckler,,,,i cant wait to try it...if anyone want to go there during the weekends,my girlfriend and I would be very happy.The only thing is we dont have a car.
    viva le mont ste anne...=)

humber river advocate
    we are thinking about going there september and october... might be cool to rent a chalet and sample/cook from the market in quebec city and have a ride around/down mount ste anne

dinner like this... http://www.theghet.com/

(from the market)...

pics from the last trip

ups and downs
    Velirium, the World Cup and Mont Sainte Anne were as much fun as expected this year. It was very soggy at times, some of the double black diamond XC trails like L'Echappée were extremely muddy, and L'Arche du Boisée was closed off entirely. They need to do some drainage control work on those trails as parts were like a streambed, some IMBA level upgrades would be good. They had also routed some of the lift assist DH trails like La Vietnam and La Grissante onto L'Echappée, so when you're struggling through the really muddy rocky stuff on an XC bike you can get a bunch of guys flying through on DH bikes. But the red diamond trails on the north side of the power lines like La Indiana Jones, La Montée St.Hillaire and L'Enduro Nord were in better shape and seem to drain better, maybe more sand in the soild.

I tried parts of the World Cup course, but it was extremely muddy when it was open to the public again after the races.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    Velirium, the World Cup and Mont Sainte Anne were as much fun as expected this year. It was very soggy at times, some of the double black diamond XC trails like L'Echappée were extremely muddy, and L'Arche du Boisée was closed off entirely. They need to do some drainage control work on those trails as parts were like a streambed, some IMBA level upgrades would be good.
    If you visit the province, i would not recommend a trip to Mont-Sainte-Anne unless you like XC-skiing doubletrack trails. There is Vallée Bras du Nord in Saint-Raymond and Sentiers du Moulin near Charlesbourg both offer great singletrack trails that mountain bikers crave!

For more info:

Sentiers du Moulin: http://www.allezy.net/rep_sentiers/sentier.php?ID=67
    Vallée Bras du Nord: http://www.valleebrasdunord.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Howdy all,
    Am travelling to Quebec from Australia for 7 days in late may. Those seem like the spots to go.

Problem is I wont be taking a bike. Any recommendations on bike hire places in Quebec City or surrounds? And - will I need a car to get to those trails, any public transport?

Anyone want to show me 'round (and teach me some french)??
    Cheers

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by murrm
    Howdy all,
    Am travelling to Quebec from Australia for 7 days in late may. Those seem like the spots to go.

Problem is I wont be taking a bike. Any recommendations on bike hire places in Quebec City or surrounds? And - will I need a car to get to those trails, any public transport?

Cheers
    What city are you coming to?
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quebec City. Looks like a car is going to be necessary from what I can gather, particularly if I want to check out the surrounds.

g3h6o3
    Well I'm in Montreal so I won't be your guide and yes a car is probably required. As for renting bikes, your best bet is in Mont Ste-Anne directly. Finding good MTBs anywhere else is almost impossible as far as I know.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    Well I'm in Montreal so I won't be your guide and yes a car is probably required. As for renting bikes, your best bet is in Mont Ste-Anne directly. Finding good MTBs anywhere else is almost impossible as far as I know.
    Thanks for your help.

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    From Montreal too... but you could check out VMQCA.QC.CA and ask on their old-school forum:

http://www.vmqca.qc.ca/groupedediscussion/

Be careful and very polite about asking question... People there are truely scared of "anglos" coming and asked questions in english... i've sent people over there before... but they didn't get such a warm welcome...

I say, ask away... but make a note that you're a visitor or something...

Anyhow, some of them might be reading this... so you never know!

good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks,
    might be time to get the french phrasebook out.
    Lachlan.

xx = xtr²
    I'm from Quebec city, you definetely need a car if you want to see all the good trails around here. There is a bike show this week-end, I will try to find where is the best place to rent bikes. If you have any questions juste ask me.

I might be able to show you the place for a day or two if you come after may 22. There is acually a local race on may 24 on some nice trails that are only open for biking the day of the race. I supose you don't want to race but i could bring you with me for a fake pre-ride of the race course to show you the trails and then a 20 min drive would bring us to the Sentiers du Moulin for some great riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hi,

I am going to go to Mont-Sainte-Anne to watch the World Championships in September, but I also want to do some riding of my own the other days. Definitively I will check out the Sentiers du Moulin and Vallée Bras du Nord.
    I saw that there is a Canada Cup race in Baie-Saint-Paul, which doesn't seem to be far from Quebec city, is this a place where we could ride? I mean is it open for the general public? are the trails good? BigJay have you been there?

Thanks!

IMBA Canada
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AztecRider
    Definitively I will check out the Sentiers du Moulin and Vallée Bras du Nord.
    Great! You'll love it!

Quote Originally Posted by AztecRider
    I saw that there is a Canada Cup race in Baie-Saint-Paul, which doesn't seem to be far from Quebec city, is this a place where we could ride? I mean is it open for the general public? are the trails good? BigJay have you been there?

Thanks!
    I really don't know what's going on out there... Lack of public info... I know they have a regionnal race as well... but don't know if it's worth the drive...

Again, check out www.vmqc.qc.ca and ask...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by murrm
    Howdy all,

Cheers
    When you rent that car, remember you're driving on the right! Be careful; you could have an accident in the first kilometer. I found it challenging to drive and ride on the left in New Zealand and I soon realized that at every intersection I needed to stop and think which way to look. Even so, I almost got run over two or three times on my mountain bike at roundabouts in Christchurch (I would look left first instead of right first).

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Fly out tomorrow morning to Quebec. Zakarina has kindly offered to show me round sentiers du moulin on sunday.
    I will probably do some more riding during the week if anyone from Quebec city is keen for a ride with a very poor french speaking australian. Send a PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Arriving in Montreal on Sept. 7, 2010-anyone want to ride?

I am travelling w/ my husband during this time but he's going to be working. We are staying in Montreal through the week and I have a car. I read the sticky but am hoping for a bit more info on trail recommendations. I also need to rent a bike and it sounds like I can only do that at Mont Ste-Anne. I'm interested in riding singletrack but see that there are various parks/areas to ride, but i didn't find any specific trail info. names of trails, which direction to ride, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, if anyone is free during this time and would be willing to show me around some trails, that'd be great. I just got back from a 2 wk. mountain bike trip to Idaho and am a decent rider.

Thanks Guys!

ups and downs
    Mont Sainte Anne would be a long drive from Montreal, but Bromont is only 45 minutes south. Trails and bike rentals would be available.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I was in Sentiers du Moulin & Mont Ste-Anne a few weeks ago. I really liked Mont Ste-Anne, it's not only XC-skiing doubletrack trails, they have a couple of new twisty single track trails. One is called Moulin (not to confuse with Sentiers du Moulin) and another one Aret. There is even one more that is not on the map. These are technically challenging and there is lots of climbing, including the so called "Climb of Death", basically you go up half way and then finish with super fun mostly downhill. On top of that, there is the World Cup course, which is not properly marked, so it takes a while to figure it out, it is very hard! Lost of climbs and technical and scary drops, but it is worth a try. Mont Ste-Anne is highly recommended!

Sentiers du Moulin is also great, lots of rocks and tight single trail. It lacks a bit of climbing in my opinion, but it is very challenging and fun as it is.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

bike rentals

thanks for the responses. i will plan to hit up the bike park one day. does anyone know of any other place to rent a bike as I hope to hit up another area to ride during the week.
    thanks again for your help.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast