Thread: Mont Ste Anne?

mtbr member

Mont Ste Anne?

Will be there for a couple days to ride DH and XC and looking for trail recommendations. Searching online the consensus I'm seeing is it's great for DH but I'm seeing a lot of negative reviews for their XC trails.

If anyone can chime in on advice for runs, specifically good fun XC trails I would be in debt to you.

(I was barely able to get the gf to agree to this trip - she doesn't DH - and I'm gonna in the dog house if the XC is as bad as I'm hearing lol)

So any recommendations will help (good XC trails, must see's, hidden jems, places to eat, PQ beers to try etc)!

thank you

mtbr member
    I rode XC last year at Mont St Anne and really enjoyed it.

Definitely want to make sure you hit the singletrack in the XC trials, there are a fair number of wider double tracks (probably XC skiing in the winter), some of them had significant climbing.

Map here:
    http://i0.wp.com/mont-sainte-anne.co...1/Carte-XC.jpg

The hashed lines I think are the 'singletrack', the others are double track, so if it's a straight line and black (or blue) that suggests lots of climbing as the difficult aspect to it.

As you head east on the trails they generally go up. I rode various trails out to the camping ground, then returned via Le Sentier du Moulin (14) and thought it was a blast as it generally descended back to the village.

As for beers, if you can find anything from this brewery, highly recommended.

Dieu du Ciel!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I ended up at Mont Ste Anne this summer as I hadn't planned ahead sufficiently for accommodation at Valee Bras du Nord. I too was concerned about the reviews commenting on the roots on the trails. In addition my wife isn't keen on prolonged climbs which worried me given its skiing heritage.
    We stayed on the trails along the power line, primarily intermediate. The ratings were appropriate except for one short vertical climb on on of the obviously newer intermediate trails. The double track access road through this area is beautiful as it runs alongside a stream. The trails are a bit rooty but nothing "east coast style". They are not as well cared for as other trail systems I have been on (consider Valee Bras Du Nord for my favourite so far in the area). Even the hotel was better than its TripAdvisor reputation. The best purchase was an small booklet from the hotel shop with (all) the Quebec mountain biking sites.
    The short answer is it is better than the reviews. The ultimate review is from my wife - "I'd do that again". Next time I'd take on some of the trails to get up the hill and potentially to the back side of the mountain.
    Enjoy!

ups and downs
    Really, people complain about roots on XC trails? Being from BC, riding single track in MSA makes me feel right at home. They've done quite a few new singletrack trails there. Most of the trails I rode this summer were Blue and Red.

On the east side, La Chevy and La Boite A Lunch were twisty and technical, lots of roots and rocks, so if it's been wet you want a grippy tire. In that same loop, La Lisiere, La Bo Bi Ki Ni continue in that vein.

On the trails around the connectors: L'Enduro Sud and Le Circuit Jean Larose, La Raccourci connects nicely to La Coupe De Foudre, La Cairn, La Spirale, these are nice twisty single track, minimal elevation change.

In the middle, Le Sentier du Moulin is a more technical trail with a lot of rocks and roots, slick when its been wet. L'Arete has more elevation change. La Mal Bouchee is like a milder le Sentier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mont Ste Anne?-009.jpg  

Mont Ste Anne?-027.jpg  

Mont Ste Anne?-007.jpg  

Mont Ste Anne?-014.jpg  

Mont Ste Anne?-011.jpg  

Mont Ste Anne?-010.jpg  

Mont Ste Anne?-009.jpg  

Mont Ste Anne?-010.jpg  

Mont Ste Anne?-011.jpg  

Last edited by rockyuphill; 09-15-2014 at 01:36 PM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

humber river advocate
    i really digged e'llchapee, l'erabliere and the dh trails of course

though these trails are more on the advance side... and i like to session with the gondola...

the spot that the locals go to for apres is Microbrasserie des Beaux Prés
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    Thank you all for the tips, recommendations photos etc, it is greatly appreciated. Stoke factor is high, leaving tomorrow.

Will make a solid effort to try the trails mentioned as well as others of course.

Will also be checking out Valee Bras du Nord.

Micro Brasserie des Beaux Pres sounds right up my alley!

And I'm a fan of the mentioned Dieu du Ciel, was worried they were just another Unibroue clone when I first discovered them but really like them, favorite is Rosée d'hibiscus

thanks again folks!

Gnarly
    Enjoy your trip! I love MSA (for obvious reasons) and the surrounding towns and beautiful. Saint Anne de Beaupre,Ile d'Orleans and Baie St Paul and beyond

And of course Bolduc's for poutine
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Poutine, now we're talking. I think we got a pizza from Bolduc's something like 8 years ago, and it was so good we talk about it to this day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Been at Sentier Du moulin (the site, not the track name) , MSA and Vallee Bras-Du-Nord and my favorite so far is Vallee-Bras-Du-Nord. IMO, MSA is old school XC (not bad in itself, but can be a bit boring) But their new Enduro track rips. Nothing like goind down at 50 kph on steep canadian shield rocks. Bras-Du-Nord is new-school They made it clear that they're aiming for the AM/Enduro crowd. Sentier Du Moulin is in the middle.

And no this is not the rolling and smooth track of Vermont. Roots ARE expected. Make for much more technical difficulty. The Quebec city region has a bit of everything MTB wise

mtbr member
    Will be providing a brief TR of PQ.. Hurt my wrist there and have been putting it off.