View Poll Results: Verdict?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • The slow guy show get the frig out of the way.

22 70.97%
  • The pro guy should cool his jets and enjoy the ride.

9 29.03%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Evil Jr.

Miss Manners Poll: Passing Etiquette Video Edition!

Saw this on BikeRumor this morning. Warning: it's NSFW (language) and ends fairly violently.

So tell me, putting the assault aside (violence is wrong, m'kay) which rider has more of your sympathy? Surely you can relate to both situations. What's more annoying: the slug hogging your line or the superstar crowding your rear wheel?
    Last edited by garage monster; 04-24-2012 at 06:40 AM. Reason: forgot to embed video!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

veldrijder
    Seems to me the rider with the camera was quite nice about the whole thing and asked nicely to pass many times.

He didn't try to force the pass, resulting in this (admittedly everyone here was fine after and laughed it off): Fat Tire Classic Sweet Crash on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Neither of them has my sympathy as both of them acted like peckerheads in the video. The guy in front was riding the trail at his own pace and being a peckerhead in refusing to acknowledge the rider behind him and allowing him to pass. The camera guy upon being ignored could've used the trail branches to pass the other guy, but didn't, and the worst part is he had a clear chance to pass after rear-ending the guy in front just after 3:20 in the video. At that point, camera guy could've easily gone in front and continued down the trail while the other guy was halted, but instead he chose to do a loop-around and redo a section of trail, then flips his lid and wonders why he's stuck behind the other guy again. Both of them deserve to be flogged with a chainwhip.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerumour
    This morning, April 23, 45 year old Aaron William Dalton, admitted to assault in court.
    Open and shut case.

Let's be Harsh: Noob knew the guy was back there for a mile, and his fragile little ego couldn't take being passed.

When I'm at Blue and I hear rumbling earth behind me, I wave them by immediately.. practically speaking, the 2-second delay that it takes to let them by is more than made up for by the brief chance to follow and learn from someone faster, even if they seem to be vaguely out of control.

That said, I don't really understand how the slow guy ended up in front of the gopro guy the second time.

mtbr member
    Both guys are acting like morons. The guy in the front should shoulder the bulk of the blame though. There were lots of places he could have shot over, slowed down a little and let the other guy go by. Those off shoots were a little short for a pass, but were perfect for letting someone go by and hardly loose any speed. By the same token, I was surprised to see the camera guy behind the slow guy again. I thought he had passed him. I have had people let me pass and let others pass lots of times over the years without any issues. The guy with the camera was probably trying to get a good run in and lost sight of common sense or courtesy by riding up the guys butt once he saw he could not get by him. The slow guy could have just shot over at any point and let the pass take place so he is really at fault.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Slower traffic should always let the faster guys go back. It's courtesy, but apparently a dying notion. Being a jerk to people often results in a jerk response.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    That said, I don't really understand how the slow guy ended up in front of the gopro guy the second time.
    The first time they stopped, they had both cut out a short loop of trail. Slow Rock Shox Guy went left, continuing on the trial. Fast(er) GoPro Guy turned right, took the loop the wrong way, realized what he had done, took the short cut again, continuing on the trail.

I do not condone violence ever, and Slow Rock Shox Guy will get what is coming to him (hopefully) in the legal system. The end part of the video was quite disturbing as Slow Rock Shox Guy descended on Fast(er) GoPro Guy.

But Fast(er) GoPro Guy was pushing all sorts of buttons along with way. I would suggest that this could have been avoided by: (i) taking one of the many ride arounds; (ii) realizing that Slow Rock Shox Guy isn't going to give way, stopping, taking a rest, letting a gap build up, and then carrying on; and (iii) riding slowly and shutting the F up. While I don't condone violence ever, I do recognize that there are situations where violence will come easily if cooler head don't prevail. They didn't prevail here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    I think the slow guy must of took a short cut to get in front of him again. As the faster rider came up behind him a 2nd time, he did mention something about that. In this incident I think most of the blame belongs to the front rider especially if he went back in front of the guy on purpose. As for the faster rider well, sometimes you just have to slow down and enjoy the ride, after all its only one run and not worth the hassle.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

I dd what you see there.
    If this were a race, the guy in front is to blame.

If this is just a Sunday afternoon ride, the guy with the camera is to blame.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

Lemmy Rules!
    Rockshox guy had numerous chances to the faster ride pass without spoiling his own ride and failed to take any of then. Then when GoPro guy called him on it at the end of the trail, rather than discussing this in a civilized manner, apologizing, or walking away, he came right at him cursing a blue streak and punched him out.

Regardless of whether the faster rider was being an @ss (and the "I could run you off the trail, you know" comment was definitely off-side), Rockshox guy could have been the bigger person, by letting the faster rider past AND by handling things differently at the end. By failing to do so, he ended up ruining what looked like an absolutely awesome descent for both of them.

So my opinion is that they both suck, but Rockshox guy sucks way harder.
    Strava made me do it....

sheep in FOX clothing
    It was interesting in the comments section to read the apparent divide between "if this was a real downhill run" and "if this was just a trail ride" .

Suggesting that overtaking/overtaken etiquette should be different if one pedals vs. takes a lift to the top of the hill.

Strange.

mtbr member
    It is an open and shut case. It's always wrong to threaten or initiate violence regardless of provocation. Also, trail etiquette is a guideline, not a law to be enforced with vigilante justice. If someone is hogging the passing lane on the highway, I don't have the right to bump them or even pass them unsafely. If there is no safe way to pass, I bite my tongue and switch the radio to Jazz. Same with bikes, I must relax and let them do their thing, their way.

Dealing calmly with slowpokes and inconsiderate people is part of adulthood. Same goes for dealing with agressive riders spewing bile and invective. Both riders are wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    If this were a race, the guy in front is to blame.

If this is just a Sunday afternoon ride, the guy with the camera is to blame.
    I totally agree. Even novice riders have the right to do a complete run unimpeded. Riders with racing skills can get around you safely in most cases. Looks like the go-pro guy either wasn't willing or wasn't trying. I think his ego got in the way.

In a race, the guy in front is a danger to everyone, himself included. Racing skills in this case is still riding while allowing faster riders to pass.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    If there is no safe way to pass, I bite my tongue and switch the radio to Jazz. Same with bikes, I must relax and let them do their thing, their way.
    Your bike has a radio?
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Hmm... where have I seen something like this before?
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Your bike has a radio?
    Raganwald on surface streets his way over to Dr. Quads;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Miss Manners Poll: Passing Etiquette Video Edition!-bikes600.jpg  

mtbr member
    So tell me, putting the assault aside (violence is wrong, m'kay) which rider has more of your sympathy? Surely you can relate to both situations. What's more annoying: the slug hogging your line or the superstar crowding your rear wheel?
    This is an easy one for me. The dude in the front is a giant ******bag and clearly has some anger management issues. There is etiquette and while it's not written in stone to let a fast rider by, it's a common courtesy and basic manners really.

The dude with the cam started off polite and that wasn't working, so he altered his approach. Sure, he could slow down, but Mr. Anger Management Ego could have graciously tucked his ego back in in chamois and let the faster guy by. My blood was boiling just watching it and it's too bad that the camera guy appeared to be on the losing end of things in defending himself.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Slow guy was an ass. There were several opportunities to allow the faster rider to pass. At the same time, I can't ignore the fact that the faster rider did bait the slower rider.

Dorkimus Prime
    What REALLY shocked me about this video was after the initial assault the fast guy keeps yapping the Angry Slow Guy. And, sure enough, gets his arse kicked a second time! I saw this in the NHL this playoff as well when Dominic Moore keeps shooting his mouth off while lying prone under Sobotka's menacing right hand. Moore ended up with a broken nose...

Did these guys have male parental figures? Why have grown men not learned this lesson? I try to impart it on my 6 year old and 11 year old as often as I can - your flapping gums are the biggest threat to your own physical well being. When in a vulnerable position, SHUT YOUR MOUTH. Simple.

Although the slow guy was a rude basturd, I would like to have seen that smug yappy pr!ck get sodomized with his own camera. The dude was obviously aggresive, if you don't want to be assaulted, walk away.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister View Post
    The dude in the front is a giant ******bag and clearly has some anger management issues.
    Not my handiwork but...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Not my handiwork but...
    Looks quite familiar, but just can't quite put a name to that fellow
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Chamois Dropper
    I believe it is common courtesy to let a faster guy pass, but what fun is it to ride a trail with someone faster than you breathing down your neck,chomping at the bit to get past? Let him go, then try to match his pace, might show you something that can improve your skills.

mtbr member
    lots of spots for the slow guy to take a bypass section without slowing his own ride down which look like they were built for just this type of situation.
    i think he was just ignorant.

i don't like my voting options though because i agree with both options.
    if i was the fast guy and realizing the situation i would pick option 2

therefore i choose not to vote

and living in a democracy i always preach to my kids that if you don't vote you have no reason to complain either way.
    so everything i just said is errelevant.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Slow guy was an ass. There were several opportunities to allow the faster rider to pass. At the same time, I can't ignore the fact that the faster rider did bait the slower rider.
    Yep, seems obvious that slower guy is more in the wrong for resorting to assault but both need to take a look in the mirror and examine the ways in which they each could have exercised some sort of blow off valve in their respective actions to avoid the outcome we see in the vid. Seems to me like both were more interested in teaching the other a lesson than they were in avoiding the situation. Not to say that knowledge can't be shared on the fly to help educate fellow trail users, but there's some basic tact required, including recognizing scenarios in which the other party isn't going to be receptive.

Not the first time (remember this gem fender bender freakout!!! Video - Pinkbike.com ? ***warning more potentially NSFW language depending on where you work ***) and won't be the last, but we can be fairly sure we'll be privy to more and more of these with the proliferation of POV cameras.

mtbr member
    Both guys were asses, but I agree with XLNC and others -- if it's a race, slow guy is the bigger ass, if it's just a trail ride, camera guy is the bigger one.

I see no tape, no bibs, no plates, no signs, and intersections everywhere.... Doesn't look like a race situation. If he's not racing against the clock -- even though trail etiquette says let faster riders by -- why the urgency to pass? If guy in front is uncooperative, wait a few minutes for slowpoke to clear the run and then resume the ride at the preferred pace. Or take a different route.

There's being in the right, and then there's doing what's right.

But yeah... both asses.
    Last edited by ray.vermette; 04-24-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast