View Poll Results: What do you do about the dog?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep on truckin'!

36 64.29%
  • Stop and wait for the owner to catch up.

9 16.07%
  • Loop back around to the owner.

6 10.71%
  • Apologize to the dog, the owner and the crazy van lady from the last poll.

1 1.79%
  • HTFU

4 7.14%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Evil Jr.

Miss Manners Poll: Part Two

So I was out riding in the woods at lunch today and I came up behind a young woman walking her dog (unleashed in an on-leash only area, not that I care that much). I was climbing (slowly, trust me) and rang my bell to let her know I was coming. She turned and moved aside, calling her dog over.

Of course, the happy, tail-wagging dog ran straight for me despite the calling. I chose to keep riding with the dog continuing to follow me much to the owner's continued (and more insistent) calling.

About a kilometer later, the dog finally gave up and I was free to continue my ride.

Now, I'm not a dog person (yay, cats! ) so here's the question: was I being rude?

(Don't forget to click on the poll! I was sure to include the appropriate apology and cupcake options this time around just to be safe. )
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Can I vote HTF and Keep on Truckin.

Someone else's dog ain't your problem.

g3h6o3
    Her dog, her problem... unless she's a cutie!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Chicken or egg? Moderator
    I usually apply a 2-stage process. First, "loop back to owner" (my vote in the poll) to return the dog to them, but if they don't manage the situation somehow and their dog follows me again when I ride away the second time, then it's all on them. I like dogs, and don't want them to suffer due to the stupidity of their owner.

Dogs have come with me for round 2 before, they eventually give up but sometimes it's a long way. I don't want anyone to lose their dog, but if they don't take some action then they deserve to wander around in a forest for a couple of hours looking for their lost pet, not to mention that the dog perhaps could do better finding a different owner to go home with.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    Her dog, her problem... unless she's a cutie!
    That's pretty much my take on it. If she's cute I'll stop, wait for her and use it as an opportunity to chat with her. Otherwise I use it as an opportunity for sprint workouts and interval training, I hammer it full speed and see how long it takes to drop the dog.

Yeah, I know, I'm a horrible person. Thanks for asking.

FeelIng Cranky!
    Her dog, her problem. I take my dog off leash to our fav riding spot. He's a very friendly black lab. However, I do have him on an electronic leash, as I do realise that he IS a dog and not everyone appreciates him like I do. If I see someone on the trail, I yell "he's friendly" and if he doesn't keep up I beep him and he knows that the next step is I shock him. Works for us.

Space for rent...
    Nope, I dont think you were being rude.

I would have looped back and told her to put the dog on the leash. If she cant control it, the dog is a danger to everyone. Just because it didn't attack you today, doesn't mean it wont turn on someone tomorrow or run out into the street.

I have no time for people who dont control their animals...particularly cat owners
    It's only pain......

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteve F View Post
    I have no time for people who dont control their animals...particularly cat owners
    We've actually been walking our cat on a leash since he was a kitten...

[waits for laughter to die down] [/waits for laughter to die down]

He grew up in on busy streets all around Southern Ontario so it seemed like the safest option. Our neighbours think it's a riot.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Quote Originally Posted by SSteve F View Post

Aside from the 2 dogs, we usually have 1 or more cats (and sometimes other misc. pets) around our house also. As many cat owners would probably understand, it's difficult enough to avoid being controlled by your cat, much less to actually exert any control over them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I guess if she wasn't someone you wanted to talk with you could always talk to the dog and tell it "no", if it keeps following then stop and wait for the owner to collect it.

I agree somewhat with "not my dog.. not my problem".. however.. it is my community and I'd help a girl with a flat, or directions. I'd report a poacher or vandal to the authorities.. same as I'd report a bear or cougar sighting. If a child started to follow me into the woods I'd def stop and wait for the owners to catch up... so why not a fur-kid?

When I'm riding with my dog we always stop for the off-leashers to collect themselves.. and if we find a dog at large .. once again we call the authorities so it can get home... it's what I hope happens if my dog ever goes AWOL.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    ...out riding in the woods at lunch today
    Nice - hmmm last day of summer, sunny out there - okay, I am going riding.

Lemmy Rules!
    I'm a dog person, so I would loop back. Not for the owner. For the dog.
    Strava made me do it....

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    ...I vote HTF...
    I operate under the assumption that you will go for the HTFU option in any poll where it's provided, regardless of the topic or question.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    I operate under the assumption that you will go for the HTFU option in any poll where it's provided, regardless of the topic or question.
    Honestly yes. I think society is getting soft, expecting others to take care of them and their things.

In my opinion not enough people are learning the hard knocks of life and dealing with it. Way to much hand holding going on. Especially in the 30 and under crowd.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    We've actually been walking our cat on a leash since he was a kitten...

[waits for laughter to die down] [/waits for laughter to die down]

He grew up in on busy streets all around Southern Ontario so it seemed like the safest option. Our neighbours think it's a riot.
    This thread needs more pictures.

I voted keep truckin.

The dog is not your responsibility. It's not rude to keep going.

Helping to ensure the dog does not get too far from its owner is however a kind / friendly thing to do.

JMHO, YMMV, etc.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    garage_monster: Now, I'm not a dog person (yay, cats! )

I like you and Mrs Monster even more now. As for a dog chasing me like that, I would probably keep on riding, but eventually I might have to loop back out of pity for the dog.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    garage_monster: Now, I'm not a dog person (yay, cats! )

I like you and Mrs Monster even more now. As for a dog chasing me like that, I would probably keep on riding, but eventually I might have to loop back out of pity for the dog.
    Sir
    You have no business liking Mrs Monster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Signature

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm with Unglued, Id loop back for the dog.

Luckily Starbuck (my dog not the poster on here) is pretty slow and wouldn't get too far in a similar situation, i don't need to worry about her.

Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post
    Luckily Starbuck (my dog not the poster on here)
    Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering how your dog had accumulated well over 100 posts without the benefit of opposable thumbs.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post
    I'm with Unglued, Id loop back for the dog.

Luckily Starbuck (my dog not the poster on here) is pretty slow and wouldn't get too far in a similar situation, i don't need to worry about her.
    Slow compared to you or slow compared to other riders or slow compared to other dogs.

There is some significant distinction there. She may as well be faster than Usain Bolt but slower than you. Probably faster than Circlip with sore toe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Signature

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Slow compared to you or slow compared to other riders or slow compared to other dogs.
    all of the above,

sheep in FOX clothing
    There must be some mistake.

"Attempt to outrun" isn't in the poll.

namagomi
    Dogs are great and i'll enjoy your dogs company for the next ten kilometers if it wants... lst time i had a dog follow me for that long i finally stopped and called the number on the collar. This was the 71st time somebody had called the dog in.

Really.

So, in the mean time I don't care if your dog is polite and wants to tag along(so long as it doesn't get under my wheel and cause a crash)

I used to stop, wait, double back, but it took too much time out of my ride to return people's dogs. I wear a bear bell now and that seems to help people put the leash back on the dog in time - even though it is a bit humiliating to go around wearing a bell. However that is the state of our world.

mtbr member
    The only time that I'm out riding, and getting somewhere in a specific time matters is a race. Everything else is free form.

If a dog follows me, I stop immediately and wait for the owner to get the dog under control or have the dog loose interest (at times this requires multiple attempts).*

It really comes back to a general philosophy of trying to take less than I give. Then again, I was a long time owner of a Jack Russell Terrier and as well behaved as that dog was, a couple good deeds by strangers kept him around longer than he probably should have been.

* Unless the dog is aggressive. Then a boot to the head suffices.

mtbr member
    Let the mutt follow you home. Them dogs is good eatin'.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast