Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    banned
    Sep 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm Misconceptions on weight , let's talk

I have heard so many times over the years that instead of worring about how light your bike is , just loose a few pounds on your butt. Or take a nice poop before you ride...
    Although it is important to be in good shape. And clean your bowels, but there is no substitude for a light bike.
    So where and what to shave is the key to a great A M . Ride so post the best place you shaved that weight and why

I,ll start
    for a mere 60 dollars I droped almost half a pound by going with stand no tubes
    Stains tape 20 dollars Stans liquid 30 dollars. 2 valves 10 dollars 230 grams off rolling weight priceless

Huckin' trails
    You know what ?

My FR bike could be 20lbs, it would still suck to climb it... My trail bike is 36 and I feel it like I'm climbing on a 25...

It's all about geometry and rotational weight... And honestly, you carrying water, like 3 liters can add 3kgs to your ride... You understand it better now ?

Having a light bike is nice when you have to carry to lift, but otherwise, a few pounds doesn't make that much difference, unless you are racing an epic or greater...

But it's all about how the weight is setup and geometry. And fit.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Huckin' trails
    And btw, sorry to turn your thread down like that... More of an redirection then a real shut down.

David
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Lemmy Rules!
    I saved 3lb off my bike by getting rid of superfluous cr@p like gears and suspension.
    Strava made me do it....

DH.FR.0ne
    Light wheels and tyres made the biggest difference with my spesh enduro. I also got light bars, carbon seatpost, light saddle and lighter crankset. The bike is massively lighter now and rides much better but it was the wheels and tyres that gave the biggest improvement.

LBS Manager
    I had my trail bike down to 22.25 pounds before making the switch to 650 B wheels (but thats another story) and I can honestly say I felt an improvement with every .5 of a pound I knocked off. I did the bike diet over a season and kept creaping it down as much as I could without compromising the bike. I started it out at 24.75. The most noticable change was when knokced just shy of a pound of rubber of the tires when I switched to Schwalbe Rocket Rons.

banned
    Sep 2011
    Imagine if your trail bike was 26 lb and then tell me if it feels the same
    There is no misconception dude ,,,, I have taken the exact same two bikes mine and my brothers ( both turner 5 spots 05. Both same identical geo. ) 3 lb apart and the lighter bike rides superior to the heavier bike. Climbs better turned better jumped and dropped much better. This is a fact. Add five pounds to your pack and you won't feel any difference, add 5 pounds to your bike and you will notice a world of difference.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by the bob View Post
    There is no misconception dude ,,,, I have taken the exact same two bikes mine and my brothers ( both turner 5 spots 05. Both same identical geo. ) 3 lb apart and the lighter bike rides superior to the heavier bike. Climbs better turned better jumped and dropped much better. This is a fact.
    Light bikes are great, of course.

However, can we agree that lighter is not always better? If function and durability for the intended purpose were equal between 2 parts, then you'd always choose the lighter part (assuming cost is no object). However, often there's some compromise in durability and function. To some riders those compromises may not be relevant (e.g. parts still sufficiently durable enough for rider weight, trail choice, riding style, and riding frequency)

Keep in mind that I'm coming at this from the perspective of having a full-on XC race rig, good knowledge of all the trick parts available on the market, and a generous budget to set up my bike any way I choose.

Add five pounds to your pack and you won't feel any difference, add 5 pounds to your bike and you will notice a world of difference.
    Sounds good in theory, but there's exceptions to every rule. My back and neck are sketchy (injuries from other sports) and it's important for me to keep as much weight on my bike and off my body such as water, tools, etc.

Huckin' trails
    There is no misconception dude ,,,, I have taken the exact same two bikes mine and my brothers ( both turner 5 spots 05. Both same identical geo. ) 3 lb apart and the lighter bike rides superior to the heavier bike. Climbs better turned better jumped and dropped much better. This is a fact. Add five pounds to your pack and you won't feel any difference, add 5 pounds to your bike and you will notice a world of difference.
    I also have a 26 lbs trail bike, but unless you wanna ride for a full day, 5 pounds won't made that much difference... Unless your fat and lazy...

Lighter bike can handle better, but the geometry is key. And rotational weight of the wheels really make the cut. It's stupid to spend hundreds on lighter parts to save only hundreds grams, when lighter wheel and faster tires really make the difference...

Climbing the mountain on a 38lbs freeride is really what got me fit... Not doing it on a crazy a$$ light bike... Unless you are making way more money then me (probably in fact), I don't consider spending crazy to get a lighter drive train and brakes or suspension.

If you are building, it's ok, but if you are upgrading only for the weight saving, then you have some serious budget IMHO.

David

Evil Jr.
    Add five pounds to your pack and you won't feel any difference, add 5 pounds to your bike and you will notice a world of difference.
    I played mule at last year's Anti-Race and carried a 2-4 of cans and 750mL bottle of Jagermeister in my pack and can say for a fact that riding with that much extra weight on your back sucks on a long ride.

Thankfully, the cargo got lighter as the ride went on and it had the added benefit of easing the pain.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

banned
    Sep 2011
    I respect all thoughts on the subject but I think some ware down the line the topic got lost.
    This thread is about how people lost the weight , the methods and the tricks, Not to discuss weather it is a good idea or not. So let's focus on the subject and learn a few things about it.

So here is another nice product , twenty6. Pedals picked one up the other day of pink bike at 260 grams for the pair . They were fantastic great grip looked very cool and can save up to 200 grams off your A M bike 240 dollars new. Kind of steep but 1/2 a pound is not bad.

Huckin' trails
    I respect all thoughts on the subject but I think some ware down the line the topic got lost.
    This thread is about how people lost the weight , the methods and the tricks, Not to discuss weather it is a good idea or not. So let's focus on the subject and learn a few things about it.

So here is another nice product , twenty6. Pedals picked one up the other day of pink bike at 260 grams for the pair . They were fantastic great grip looked very cool and can save up to 200 grams off your A M bike 240 dollars new. Kind of steep but 1/2 a pound is not bad.
    Then back on topic.

Lightest seat post I could find was the Race Face Deus at 240g for 400mm and 27.2mm... And I bought it new off eBay for $20 plus $7 shipping...

Even carbon wrapped seat post were heavier...

And I always do my little peepee before going out for a ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    LIttle tid bits of value and strength in light weight.

Old LX hollow tech II cranks
    Truvativ AKA stem
    IRD Thumbshifters
    Alex rims
    Shimano XT (latest generation) hubs
    Shimano 520 clipless pedals

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I saved 3lb off my bike by getting rid of superfluous cr@p like gears and suspension.
    I just built a single speed bike with a carbon rigid fork that is 10lbs lighter than my FS 29er.. Losing the gears and heavy suspension saved quite a bit for me!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Unlike this abomination, all cables & hoses on my bike are cut to the shortest possible length for clean routing and minimal weight.
    Cost? Free. And the bike works better too.

mtbr member
    there is no substitude for a light bike.
    So where and what to shave is the key to a great A M .
    This topic seems awfully familiar.

This thread is about how people lost the weight , the methods and the tricks, Not to discuss weather it is a good idea or not. So let's focus on the subject and learn a few things about it..
    I sympathize with your desire to keep a thread on topic. But if you start a thread by stating as fact an opinion that is the subject of ongoing debate, it is inevitable someone will ask if it is really true. Had you started the thread by simply asking folks how they'd reduced he weight of their bikes, there would be nothing to argue about

Now to answer your question. First, I shortened my hoses. I even removed the remote lockout cable, since I like it rough. I have a Ti bottom bracket and lightweight rotors from Formula. But the biggest after-market weight savings on my bike has probably been in the tires.

It can be messy to set up, but running lightweight non-UST tires tubelessly saves weight. I don't know if losing the tube is a win against the weight of the sealant, tape, and cores (you seem to think so, but my scale disagrees). However, with a narrower tire like 2.1 or 1.9, going tubeless feels like I'm getting the traction of a 2.35 using a smaller, lighter tire.
    Last edited by raganwald; 09-12-2011 at 08:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    For me, I wouldn't shave one single gram off of the bike if it will make is loose any stiffness. I had a lightweight XC ride, and I hated it. I'm faster and more comfortable on a heavy dirt jump frame.

Now, if the thing isn't going to add to flex and drops weight, too, I'm all for it. Probably the best upgrade is a good, lightweight set of tires. The lighter tires usually have lower rolling resistance, too, so you win twice.

LBS Manager
    For me having a lighter bike absolutly makes a diference even on shorter sprint type rides. My lap times got faster as my bike got lighter. For the seat post there are a few sub 200 gram posts out there. Ritchey wcs one bolt or superlogic carbon, crank brothers cobalt 11 and easton EC 90 to name a few. If you are trying to realy push the wheight down as low as possible you need to concider every gram. I switched all of my bolts to ti, Some headsets are not very light (king) and some are very light (crank bros and loaded) even grips are good cheap place to look. You can get foam grips that feel great and are only 12 to 15 grams for the set for under 20 bucks. Like I mention before Tires are a big one but things like stems ( Rotor sx3 89 grams) and sadles (lots in the 120 to 140 gram range) often get over looked. The high end cassettes like Sram XX and pg999 are a great way to save weight but are not cheap.

banned
    Sep 2011
    Good stuff now we are rolling but let's talk specific . Now for the next one I switched from the old fait full Kendal navigates to swalbee nobly nicks. Saved 220 grams per tire without sacrificing performance
    2 years on the nobly nicks and still going strong. So the 2,25 nicks a great way to shave a pound and they roll great and grip even better.
    Cheers.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Okay I'll bite.

Weight weenism tends to be expensive.

The other consideration one has to be wary of is where on the bike you look to cut the weight. Some areas can be dangerous when you go to light. Or if you go to light you start breaking stuff.

Another consideration when it comes to this is your riding region. For where most here ride they can go much lighter then say a guy in BC. Simple reality is that there is less of a hike out when stuff fails. If you go to light with parts in BC and it fails way up in the Callahan Valley.... long walk home with bears and Mountain Lions.

banned
    Sep 2011
    That's why we are talking here in the east Endura . Out here there is no bears and lions.
    Now here is another nice product that we tried and did not fail. Stan's alpine rims on a all mountain bike at 330 to 340 grams these rims are near carbon weight and are tough as nails. Two years on the Olympic and. Year with the alpines and they are still tru and good as new. I weigh 200 lb. And I have droped 6 to 7 footers blasted through rock gardens and have plowed down a few downhill runs with these and they are still going.
    Now don't get me wrong do not throw these things on your DH rig but for a nice AM wheel they work great. Cost 120 dollars each 200 grams less the a pair of 721s

banned
    Sep 2011
    This is good info so far things that I will pick up for one a rotar stem 89 grams. That is 100 grams less then my Thompson

Evil Jr.
    Probably the cheapest weight saving I've made was switching to Eggbeaters, plus they're great in mud. (it was nearly a pound at the time)

I don't know if it's the lightest post out there, but I've been really happy with my Syntace carbon one. I really like the clamp design as it delivers a lot of support to the saddle rails.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    That's why we are talking here in the east Endura . Out here there is no bears and lions.
    I ran into 3 black bears 2 weeks ago while riding... almost **** my pants. There are definitely bears!!

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber495 View Post
    I ran into 3 black bears 2 weeks ago while riding
    I hear they are softer than running into trees.

To regurgitate what I said in the other thread:

Over a selected section of the Don (that starts and ends at the same elevation) my 43-pound, 8" travel, 2.7"-tire, platform pedalled FR bike logged a time of 16 min. My 20-lbs carbon hardtail logged a time of 14 min with the same perceived effort.

Now 2 minutes might seem like a lot... but that's only 12% slower... on a bike that weighs more than TWICE as much.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast