mtbr member

Mini Mountain Bike Weekend Vacation?

Managed to actually get away from my patients for Friday and Saturday next weekend. Me and the wife, no dogs/kids had this in mind.

Leave Oakville early.

Friday morning Mansfield, 15km
    Friday Afternoon Hardwood hills, 25kms

--drive to Buckwallow, stay at the Pines (?) Hotel across the highway with the little pool (not the petro Canada). Digest 4 webers burgers and 3 pounds of fries.

Saturday

Minnessing Mountain bike trail, 20ish km's
    Afternoon/evening Buckwallow, easy stuff on the SS

Sunday

Buckwallow/entire course
    Head home.

Anything I should try to hit up.?
    Porcupine Ridge and me don't get along that well, I have Hilton Falls when I want to try to break my bike and my bones

Also, trail maps of Minnessing, rode it a couple of times 10 years ago, but don't remember much from back then. Some stuff on google but not sure how old/new they are. What type of bike is ideal?

Thanks
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

mtbr member
    Maybe try to get in a ride at Sir Sams instead of the first one at Buckwallow or Minnessing?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'd say skip Mansfield and go straight to Hardwood for a morning of XC, then head over to Horseshoe to finish the day with some DH fun. Or do the Copeland forest & Horseshoe combo instead of Hardwood.

mtbr member
    i think i just need another day off,
    last time as was at copeland i got lost for a week or two, are there any maps etc?
    i did not even think of horseshoe, thanks,
    i've never ridden at sir sams but will google, thanks for the insight

the wife was making light of me posting on the form about our riding weekend, duh to her

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I wouldn't bother with Mansfield or the Dufferin Forest immediately north of it. You can easily get in rides there from Oakville often enough I would think.

I believe Horseshoe has an event this weekend coming up July 20/21 so some trails closed which I think closes up their DH stuff and the lift. Their XC stuff from the looks isn't anything special especially with what's nearly immediately north and south of Horseshoe.

Copeland - If you have a GPS try search for the waypoint files for the place. See pic below.

If up north enough for Buckwallow do ride Porcupine Ridge immediately opposite Santa's Village, it's a circuit loop course plus there used to be maps at the trailhead. Very rocky and good challenge for a SS.

Hope the wifey rides. If not what is she doing while you are riding?

I'd bring a gun because weekend of riding while wifey stews + long drive home in rush hour like traffic that now starts north of Barrie = I'd rather be dead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini Mountain Bike Weekend Vacation?-coupland-mtb-trails.jpg  

mtbr member
    lol. dont worry the old lady rides, it was a per-requisite , no kids and ride a bike, now i have to take care of her two mentally challenged cats and 220 pounds of dogs -- her per-requisite

thanks for the heads up on horseshoe.

wheres the best place to park for Copeland Forrest ?

Custom User Title
    to the best of my knowledge the DH at Horseshoe is July 27-28

The Canadian National Mountain Bike Championships is at Hardwood Hills July 20-21
    "an inch an hour...two feet per day..."

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I rode Minnessing last year and its a fairly flat ride compared to most. However there are some good rocky sections, some so large i still can't quite figure out how people ride them. Anyways, I found the rule of thumb at the interchanges (as there is many with no directions) is if your ride from the east entrance always turn right at fork and left back into the trail.
    Hopefully they cleared some of the overgrowth from last year, outside of that it was a great ride...bring bug spray.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Popular and approved parking for Copeland in a parking lot.

Going north up the 400 take the exit immediately north of the exit for Horseshoe Valley Road and HV Ski Resort. This next exit is 93/Pentaanguishene Rd. Take the circle exit ramp and at the first stop sign you will be facing Pentatanguishene Rd. Go left or SouthEast for 300m and turn left or NorthEast onto Ingram Rd. Follow that for approximately 6.5 to 6.75 km. You will pass a number of houses off the road and then there won't be any for a while and then one off to the left or North. The turn off into the Copeland north parking is right there on the right or South. Drive in a little and park. Do not take the dirt road where Igram parallels very closely (you can see it) the 400, this isn't a good first or 5th timers starting point. I believe there was a Ministry type sign on the HW at the entrance. The trailhead is some DT at the back or South end of the parking lot on the far most right or West end. Follow that in you will shortly a train track and then look for a side trail on the left or Northeast side. As there are two similar side trails here make sure you are taking the single track trail not the double type track. There is also a trail off to the right or Southwest side but that works better as the trail that takes you back to the car. The way described will have to tackle some steep climbing in the first 1/3 of the ride and much more level trail for the remainder of the ride.

The trailhead and DT into the forest and over the RR tracks is in the top of the map I attached under/near the tool on the image. You see the 2 trails onside and 1 the other. That's a popular starting point. The last time I rode there were no route markers but our group managed to follow a big long loop that followed the east side down in and came back up the western side. You are bounded by roads on the north and east side plus the south side but you'll find houses,development and a tiny ski operation if you go too south. The west side should nearly always be bounded by a wetland/swamp which is a difficult and ever changing boarder and if you go in far enough another road which may or may not go from Horseshoe Valley Road up to Igram, the road might be submerged/unmaintained since the road work done for the 400.

Have a good ride.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    lol. dont worry the old lady rides, it was a per-requisite , no kids and ride a bike, now i have to take care of her two mentally challenged cats and 220 pounds of dogs -- her per-requisite

thanks for the heads up on horseshoe.

wheres the best place to park for Copeland Forrest ?

mtbr member
    thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Payer View Post
    to the best of my knowledge the DH at Horseshoe is July 27-28

The Canadian National Mountain Bike Championships is at Hardwood Hills July 20-21

mtbr member
    If you do ride Mansfield...let me know.. I'll probably ride there Friday and know it pretty well.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Thanks all, looks like the weekend will end up with this.

Friday Hardwood -- Copeland. kms depending on temperature
    Saturday Minnessing and Buckwallow
    Sunday Sir Sams

if you see you a red honda element at a trail head feel free to come by for a drink.

mtbr member
    I just rode the Buck last weekend and yes .... bring bug spray .
    Had to refer to the map a lot and those suckers are all over you
    when you do .
    Webers ??
    Last time I went there it was a total disappointment .
    Never again .
    Over priced and the food sits too long waiting for you to
    get your order .
    Warmish and sits in your stomach like a bowling ball ......Barf !!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    Webers ??
    Last time I went there it was a total disappointment .
    Never again .
    Over priced and the food sits too long waiting for you to
    get your order .
    Warmish and sits in your stomach like a bowling ball ......Barf !!
    Really? I've always been really impressed with the efficiency with which they pump out the food. They take your order and money while you wait in line and by the time you get to the front, the food is usually just coming off the grill. I mean, it's burgers and fries so maybe my expectations aren't too high but I've always had fun there. It's a quintessentially hoser experience. Bad sunburns and Kim Mitchell on the radio. Right on!

That being said, I would never eat there before a ride.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Patio Lanterns after 40kms in 40 deg Celsius, sounds delicious to me. Ill triple my lactose pills and drink a gallon of milk shakes to ad to the turmoil

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by maynard View Post
    Ill triple my lactose pills and drink a gallon of milk shakes to ad to the turmoil
    Let us know who wins. It looks like an epic battle to the death!

mtbr member
    How did it go? What kind of condition is Minnising in?

mtbr member
    Sorry for the late post. Minnessing had a lot of trees down and some over growth, did about 17 kms there Saturday morning after the storm that hit Friday Afternoon in Barrie. On that note, rode the A,C,D course at hardwood early Friday morning, 9000 degrees on a steal single speed was fun, some of those guys can rip, some just buy expensive bikes and like wearing sausage suits .

Hotttt on Friday morning, ate, watered up then headed to Copeland. Started about 1:15 temperature 33 without humidex. Had no clue where we were going , were planning on about 3 - 4 hours of moderate to borring pace. 15kms in , completely lost, the storm of the century hit, temperature dropped to 16 degrees Celsius, had no clue where we were. The air went very dry and quiet and at 3pm it looked like 9:15pm. That's when the trees came alive, and for the first time in 20 years of riding all over NA, I was actually concerned for my and my wifes bikes safety . was standing on a ridge in Copeland and watched 20-30 trees fall within 20 minutes, debris flying everywhere and I don't mean leaves and twigs, full branches flying through the air, mostly at the upper tree level, 40 -100 feet up, crazy end of the world ****. Tried to wait it out for 20 minutes then realized it wasn't one of those 10 minutes heavy down poor and that the end of the world was near. So we did what any other person who needed to eat their Webbers burgers before 7pm so they could sleep without overdosing on deliciousness would do. We rode. We rode in circles, ups, some big ups, some climbs and then some bigger climbs, three second downhill, being washed out by the Hurricane force winds, being hit in the face with baby leg sized branches, eventually 45 minutes of riding, came to someones back yard. politely walked through their manicured back yard, got on the side road and came out to what we thought was hwy 93, but in turn was Horseshoe road. We were a lovely 16kms away from where we started from. We started riding along the road, but figured one of us would be dead in a matter of minutes. So we pulled over to horse shoe valley and asked a younger American lad from Wisconsin to give us a lift for 20 bucks back to the car, which we thought was 10 minutes, by that I meant 20 minutes. Getting back to the car, three larger trees where down in the Copeland parking lot , none smacked the little Red Honda Element, none of us where dead, and for the first time in 10 days I was not over heating while I was riding. Then on to webers, ordered 2 triples, took one patty off of hers so I had one quad. 7 lactose pills before, but the power was out and they weren't serving ice cream so a doubled up on the poutine as I did not want the lactose pills to go to waste:0

Drove up to the Harts motel across the road from Buckwallow, rode Minnessing in the morning Saturday. Went to Buckwallow around 330pm on Saturday it was closed due to trees being down, but we sweet talked our way in, great course , great afternoon ride.

Sunday pumped out another 25kms in Buckwallow then called it a day , hit Macdonalds this time, combo 8 extra patty, supersized everything no traffic 2 hours flat from Gravenhurst to Oakville. Great trip, 70ish kms, no flats 4 bikes, two people the only injury came from intestinal distortion from Webers, but I only ride to eat, so that was expected.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Best trip ever!!! lol glad you two made it out ok. the storm was pretty serious.

Now i'm craving Webers.........thanks.

mtbr member
    Great description, especially enduring the storm, that sounded pretty crazy. Would you recommend Harts motel? We're toying with a last minute weekend trip to Bracebridge for more Buckwallow (went last weekend for the first time and basically fell in love with the place and vibe), porcupine and torrence.

Or any other accommodation recommendations are appreciated, thanks folks.

mtbr member
    I saw your Element at Buck on that Sunday morning, Mike said he had a lot of trees come down on Saturday but it was in pretty good shape Sunday.

mtbr member
    Harts is perfect for riding, don't think it actually called that anymore though, call ahead and its 85 bucks a night, not bad and the pool is always a plus. The red element is usually a hit where ever we go as theres atleast 4 liters of gluten free beer in the back .

15 August, we will be hitting up buckwallow then sir sams and some other stuff to be named at a later date. thanks once again for all the information.

hopefully the new ROS 9 is there by then. and hurricane season is over!

mtbr member
    Hart's Country Innmore infoStation is accessible‎

1703 Winhara Road

Gravenhurst, ON P1P 1R1

(705) 646-9077

Category:Motels

Harts country inn, used to called winhara.