mtbr member

Minden/Haliburton Trails

I'm going to be spending a week in the Minden area in August. Does anyone have any suggestions for some intermediate type of trails in the area?

Is Haliburton forest a good destination?

Thanks
    Last edited by The Spork; 07-13-2009 at 06:58 AM.

sock puppet

haliburton is a great destination

they have a great trail system, you just have to get a map or ride with someone that knows the area...

Quote Originally Posted by The Spork
    I'm going to be spending a week in the Minden area in August. Does anyone have any suggestions for some intermediate type of trails in the area?

Is Haliburton forest a good destination?

Thanks
    Signature

mtbr member
    The Frost Center on Hwy 35 towards Dorset is an okay place to go as well. Not expansive or technical, but you can ride around for an hour and enjoy yourself. Almost ran over a bear in there a few years back.

Don't forget to load up on Kawartha Dairy ice cream in Minden

Slick Rick
    Sir Sams!

Lift access trails!

http://www.sirsams.com/

mtbr member
    Oh, I've made a few stops for ice cream in Minden. Good call.

I'll check out the Frost Center. Thanks

mtbr member

Sir Sams

Sir Sams is a great place to ride and there's lift access too. It is great that there is a choice of places to ride with lift access in Ontario now. If riding the chair lift is not your things there are trails to ride that don't require the chair lift.
    www.mtbiking.ca
    Your Key To The Epic Ride!

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    The Frost Center on Hwy 35 towards Dorset is an okay place to go as well. Not expansive or technical, but you can ride around for an hour and enjoy yourself. Al
    Are those trails on the west side of 35? I pass thru on the highway a couple of times a year, so I might have to check it out.

I'm quite familiar w/ the area as we had a cottage on Kushog & used to boat up to the centre. Tricky passing thru the boulder imfested narrows.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member

Trails at Donald?

I've always been curious about the possibility of Mt Biking on these dirtbike trails at Donald. See here.

I wonder if they would be good riding for us too? Has anyone ever been there to check it out first-hand? Would love more info...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd
    Are those trails on the west side of 35? I pass thru on the highway a couple of times a year, so I might have to check it out.

I'm quite familiar w/ the area as we had a cottage on Kushog & used to boat up to the centre. Tricky passing thru the boulder imfested narrows.
    Yes, on the east you have the actual buildings of the frost center (on the lake). On the west, there is a gravel parking lot with a small building/shelter and maps.

The area is primarily for winter XC skiing and the summer trails are indicative of this, but still an okay place to get out riding some lower level loops.

This climb in is the only real tough part (not long, but technical), after that it's all good. Not sure how much they are keeping the back loops cleared of deadfall at this point, but don't recall much when walking in there last summer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lukey
    I've always been curious about the possibility of Mt Biking on these dirtbike trails at Donald. See here.

I wonder if they would be good riding for us too? Has anyone ever been there to check it out first-hand? Would love more info...

Luke....I'll print out this map and check out the first bits (or more) on the weekend to see if it's promising.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    Luke....I'll print out this map and check out the first bits (or more) on the weekend to see if it's promising.
    I checked the MNR's Minden District map & the trail is on Crown Land, so MTBing is OK during the summer months. The reason I say this is the trail shown appears to follow the HCSA's snowmobile trail. Snowmobile trails on private property are only open to sledders during the winter & are closed to the public in the off season.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd
    I checked the MNR's Minden District map & the trail is on Crown Land, so MTBing is OK during the summer months. The reason I say this is the trail shown appears to follow the HCSA's snowmobile trail. Snowmobile trails on private property are only open to sledders during the winter & are closed to the public in the off season.
    Good point. Yeah...from some notes on the OFTR site, I was aware that the trails are all on public land. Seems to be quite a bit existing in there too. As yet, I haven't been able to locate many photos or descriptions of the trail system, although there's a tiny bit of info on the OFTR site and here at the OTC site also.

The OFTR map I linked in the previous post shows that the trails are really pretty extensive, and given that the dirtbikes are non-winter users, I'm guessing that maybe there's not too much swamp/water crossings etc. Just wondering if it's actually fun riding for mt bikers. I don't get up there too often and haven't been to take a look.

I initially found this page, and started trying to find out more. The GPS track there looks like singletrack, and there's a lot there!

Have you ever ridden any of this?

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Other than on the snowmobile, no. I don't recall any water (ice) crossings, so you should be able to go quite a ways on the trail towards Gooderham. I will say that the terrain is kind of rugged & I'm not sure what the surface is like.

I rode 42 klicks today on the Pencil Lake Forest Access Rd. I started out where it turns off the West Eels Lake Road & went over to Hwy 507. Someone had recently biked to the snowmobile trail bridge NE of Pencil Lake from the cottages.

Saw lots of moose & wolf tracks but no wildlife other than a couple of grouse.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

"you broke both arms"
    Hey guys.... first post ever.... here it goes!

I've stayed at my girlfriends cottage on lake Little Bob for the past five summers and I've found a bunch of trails in the area but the most insane trail can be found at the end of Scotch Line Rd. I have a GPX file for the area - PM me your email address and I can send it to you.

I've ridden it on my dirt bike (....950cc dirt bike ) and it took me 7hrs to cover 27kms. Having said that, it will be much easier on a mountain bike.

Michael Lobodzinski
    Kona Kula
    GT DHi Race
    KTM 950 Adventure

GPS guru

Canada GPS Routes/Tracks Library