Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    humber river advocate

is the mega quarry really a bad idea?

ok, they dig a pit to get some limestone. pit fills with water, becomes part of the watershed, area gets naturalized. more productive food sources can be incorporated. jobs created, greater sustainability than intensive mono agriculture. a rail line is built (a really good idea) and it would make a cool mtb trail around the perimeter of the lake.
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 10-14-2011 at 05:45 PM.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If your refering to the quarry they are looking to build near Elora, I am for and against it.
    I agree with your arguments for, but the problem you run into is Elora is a tourism based town. When you develop something like a quarry right next to it, the amount of construction traffic that would be passing through the middle of the town would cause affect the calm atmosphere of the town and affect the amount of paying traffic flowing through the area.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by boarder4life View Post
    If your refering to the quarry they are looking to build near Elora, I am for and against it.
    I agree with your arguments for, but the problem you run into is Elora is a tourism based town. When you develop something like a quarry right next to it, the amount of construction traffic that would be passing through the middle of the town would cause affect the calm atmosphere of the town and affect the amount of paying traffic flowing through the area.
    i don't like the truck traffic as you. i do like a train systems "(which should be one of the conditions). the rail trail should be built not only as a means to transport limestone, but as a form of public transport and connect such town as elora to the gta. tourism will increase.
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It should be one of the conditions but the AAR system would not develop a rail system for a temporary situation. Unfortunately I work in an industry that works quiet closely with with the rail systems and it takes ALOT for them to make developments that have value to them. Its amazing how cheap it has become for companies to transport with trucks and much more convenient for end location.

They use to have a railroad system running through the town and had removed due to its lack of use.

The other issue with that quarry particularly is it has been designated to be built within town limits. The effect on the community would not only bring down the value of the area, but would also destroy the atmosphere of the natural Gorge running through the town.

I actually use to stay in with my girlfriend that lived right at the center of the town next to the bridge, and just the normal traffic running through there was fairly loud, the increase from a 24/7 quarry running would be mind blowing

mtbr member
    isn't this the quarry they want north of shelburne?

humber river advocate
    the cost of a railway transportation falls into mandate and plans of the district, the province and the feds (as well as conservation authorities). truck transport can be restricted by the by-laws of the township. the railway can be powered by the wind mills or solar energy...

It should be one of the conditions but the AAR system would not develop a rail system for a temporary situation. Unfortunately I work in an industry that works quiet closely with with the rail systems and it takes ALOT for them to make developments that have value to them. Its amazing how cheap it has become for companies to transport with trucks and much more convenient for end location.

They use to have a railroad system running through the town and had removed due to its lack of use.

The other issue with that quarry particularly is it has been designated to be built within town limits. The effect on the community would not only bring down the value of the area, but would also destroy the atmosphere of the natural Gorge running through the town.

I actually use to stay in with my girlfriend that lived right at the center of the town next to the bridge, and just the normal traffic running through there was fairly loud, the increase from a 24/7 quarry running would be mind blowing
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 10-14-2011 at 07:14 PM.
    Support TORBA

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash View Post
    isn't this the quarry they want north of shelburne?
    yup
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yes but that is based on the fact the quarry owners are more worried about being green. The type of people that buy some of the most fertile land in Ontario and plan to dig it out into a hole, generally are not worried about the environment.

Plus running the machinery involved in digging, excavating and transporting iar surpasses the supply that can be given by Solar power and windmills at any given moment.

humber river advocate
    Yes but that is based on the fact the quarry owners are more worried about being green. The type of people that buy some of the most fertile land in Ontario and plan to dig it out into a hole, generally are not worried about the environment.

Plus running the machinery involved in digging, excavating and transporting iar surpasses the supply that can be given by Solar power and windmills at any given moment.
    not quite sure about that... i wouldnt call an area where they do potatoe farming as the most fertile land in ontario... i would call it a heavily contaminated area with pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers. as will as the natural habitat that has been removed to make fields... i'm not even going to talk about the genetically modified foods that they grow...
    Support TORBA

Up, Up, and Away!
    Here is information (or propaganda, if you prefer) provided by the Highland Companies:

Melancthon Quarry

and those who oppose it:

No Mega Quarry

humber river advocate
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The problem is what happens in the meantime, we're looking at a massive earthmoving operation which will be ongoing for many years. First they need to strip off all the soil overburden then they keep blasting till they're a couple hundred feet below the water table. Problem #1, where does that overburden go? Will they dump it in a big pile, cart it away, dump it down the river, or something else?

Next, since they're going to go well below the water table, they'll need to pump craploads of water from the mine 24/7, the estimates I'm reading are 600 million litres per day, which is about oh...240 Olympic sized swimming pools or about 87% of the Credit river's total flow. Where is that water going to go, and what will its effects be on the nearby watersheds?

Which leads to problem #3, the pumps used for keeping mines dry are giant diesel powered affairs the size of a tractor-trailer, which means they're going to need a fuel tank farm on site. 7000L of water per second, lifted over a height of 100-200m, overall efficiency of about 25%, you go figure out how much diesel fuel that burns (it's more fuel in a day than most of us will use in a lifetime). There will be spillage.

I suspect many of us won't live long enough to see the quarry close down its operations, let alone return to a naturalized state, and we sure as hell won't be mountain biking at that time. We're looking at a generational problem, the choices we make now with regards to the quarry are ones that our children and grandkids will have to live with. We damn well better choose wisely.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    All studies, statistics, poll, and such reports based arguments aside.

Let's simplify this. No one wants this in their back yard or the town they live in. But won't care if it's in someone else's town. You can argue all you want but the reality is that what is needed to live our lifestyle here in Canada requires stuff like this. It's way to easy to whine about this, a garbage dump, or the Oil Sands. To blame the companies.

It is us humans specifically consumers who want all the benefits we enjoy yet don't want to see the consequences shoved in our faces. Because as long as we don't see it we really don't give a care other then words.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

humber river advocate
    ahh sipping the kool aid... all the muck stripped off will make some sweet singletrack around the lake. water drainage will follow old river beds... lol, one thing ontario has is an easily accessible electric source (green and nuclear) as well as full govermental support in regards to green energy, not to mention any big dig is done under electric power...

Support TORBA

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    All studies, statistics, poll, and such reports based arguments aside.

Let's simplify this. No one wants this in their back yard or the town they live in. But won't care if it's in someone else's town. You can argue all you want but the reality is that what is needed to live our lifestyle here in Canada requires stuff like this. It's way to easy to whine about this, a garbage dump, or the Oil Sands. To blame the companies.

It is us humans specifically consumers who want all the benefits we enjoy yet don't want to see the consequences shoved in our faces. Because as long as we don't see it we really don't give a care other then words.
    wait a minute you are responding to a thread of mine... the ignore was short lived
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I was wondering when this topic would come up here.

Soo much retoric tossed around by people that have never heard of Melancthon let alone a clue what the land is actually like.

Best thing to come from this is that my Grandparents old farm house was dismantled and donated to the Dufferin Museum.

http://www.dufferinmuseum.com/events...in041110-1.jpg

humber river advocate
    you should see all the pumps they are running to irrigate the potato fields....

and this little tidbit:

"May 2000, drinking water contaminated with E.coli and campylobacter bacteria killed seven people and made over 2,300 ill in Walkerton, Ontario."

farming is not environmentally friendly

the pumps they use in mining operations are electric... it is cheaper to set up a contract and buy a block of electricity for such an operation then to burn diesel. it is also cheaper and more reliable to run electric motors... the mining industry have been doing this for years.
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 10-15-2011 at 06:00 AM.
    Support TORBA

humber river advocate
    as well as that whole area has been clear cut for over a hundred years and that the orginal
    inhabitants where odawa/potawatomi... time marches on...
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've seen those signs all around the neighbourhood here without knowing what they were. Melancthon has what must be the single largest wind-farm in Canada. Add a mega-quarry to that and you'll have a very unusual melange of business operations indeed. Locals there must be either very accommodating, very pragmatic, or very quietly outraged I have no idea.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    I was wondering when this topic would come up here.

Soo much retoric tossed around by people that have never heard of Melancthon let alone a clue what the land is actually like.

Best thing to come from this is that my Grandparents old farm house was dismantled and donated to the Dufferin Museum.

http://www.dufferinmuseum.com/events...in041110-1.jpg
    It's funny how a quarry gets this reaction. How people are going on about loss of farm land.

Yet sure don't see this reaction going on about new housing developments that are going up. That are taking away valuable farmland as well. That require construction trucks and the mess they bring with them. And more are being built every day.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    I've seen those signs all around the neighbourhood here without knowing what they were. Melancthon has what must be the single largest wind-farm in Canada. Add a mega-quarry to that and you'll have a very unusual melange of business operations indeed. Locals there must be either very accommodating, very pragmatic, or very quietly outraged I have no idea.
    or happy they have jobs and industry,
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My problem isn't with the quarry itself, it's with how they plan on developing & operating it. Under the current proposal they're going to mine it in blocks, they take one patch and blast it all the way down till they're a couple hundred feet below the water table, then move on to the next block when they're out of rock.

The issue here is that the demand for aggregate is not going to be nearly as high as their projections. There's a lot of reasons for that which I don't have the time to cover in detail, but they include energy costs & availability, particularly transport fuels, a credit crunch & demographics change putting an end to the building construction boom, and the fact that we won't have the money nor credit to pay for all the crap we're going to build or maintain.

Given that we're going to have reduced demand, they can keep the quarry going for a very long time without blasting below the water table. This means you won't need nearly as many pumps to keep it above water and it also simplifies mining operations. They'll have many years to either find a better location for a new quarry or come up with a better method for dewatering the mine and managing the water runoff.

mtbr member
    with the closure of a few automotive part suppliers in the area (which were the better paying jobs of the area) they could certainly use an industry that would employ full time, stable, high paying work!

since the closure of many large production factories from Collingwood to Orangeville there has been a drop in truck traffic.....the heavy truck traffic from the quarry arguement is junk.

if the rail tracks can be laid again, the Melancthon Quarry could affect those from Mississauga to Owen Sound, creating more whiners and jobs as well as transportation for those that fall under neither.
    FAQ YOU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    My problem isn't with the quarry itself, it's with how they plan on developing & operating it. Under the current proposal they're going to mine it in blocks, they take one patch and blast it all the way down till they're a couple hundred feet below the water table, then move on to the next block when they're out of rock.

The issue here is that the demand for aggregate is not going to be nearly as high as their projections. There's a lot of reasons for that which I don't have the time to cover in detail, but they include energy costs & availability, particularly transport fuels, a credit crunch & demographics change putting an end to the building construction boom, and the fact that we won't have the money nor credit to pay for all the crap we're going to build or maintain.

Given that we're going to have reduced demand, they can keep the quarry going for a very long time without blasting below the water table. This means you won't need nearly as many pumps to keep it above water and it also simplifies mining operations. They'll have many years to either find a better location for a new quarry or come up with a better method for dewatering the mine and managing the water runoff.

mining in blocks would allow them to fill the old excavation with the spoil removed from the second phase and so on.....progressively restored to agriculture, forest ect....

this land is far from amazing farm land....but what it has is an aggregate of very high quality....which is in demand for infrastucture.

Id rather see this Melancthon pit open than the hole(s) Walker Aggregate plan to develope on the Niagara Escarpment.
    FAQ YOU

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpunk~ View Post
    this land is far from amazing farm land.
    It's great soil for potatoes. But people keep boohooing that it's all going to be lost. Talking like it's the end of the nations single source of food.

It's less than 1% of the farm land in all of Dufferin county that is going to be quarry.

This isn't even going to be the majority of the land that Baupost purchased under the Highlands name. They'll still be operating the largest potato producing farm in Ontario along side the quarry.

The largest portion of Ontario's grade A farm land is already under concrete in the GTA.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast