Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 72
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,442

    MEC Selling Ghost Bikes.

    MEC to distribute Ghost bikes in Canada - Pinkbike.com

    Not bad. Nice to see some more variety at MEC bikewise.

  2. #2
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,296
    Oh the horror. MEC is out to destroy the LBS.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Braids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Oh the horror. MEC is out to destroy the LBS.
    And the distributors, with which we would never be able to survive without in Canada.

  4. #4
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,106
    Imagine the market ruckus if it was Giant, Specialized or Trek bikes.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    450
    I was considering a few Ghost bikes from CRC in the fall. Some great value for the money.

  6. #6
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids View Post
    And the distributors, with which we would never be able to survive without in Canada.
    For one that may not be a bad thing.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Braids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    For one that may not be a bad thing.
    I guess I should have used this in my post as a sarcasm indicator.

  8. #8
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,106
    Considering that you still have to cough up the $5 to be a member of the MEC to take advantage of their attractive low pricing, the average LBS shouldn't fell threatened. I can't remember the last time a bike shop gave me a blanket 2% discount for paying cash, or I was sent an annual dividend cheque by my LBS. I mean, seriously, the MEC only has a membership of 10% of the population of Canada, it's not likely everyone can buy bikes and bike stuff cheaper from a MEC outlet.

    Now if Costco or Wal-Mart started selling brand name high end bike brands....
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  9. #9
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    This could get interesting. What if MEC decides to distribute all sorts of Euro brands like Ghost and Cube.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  10. #10
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids View Post
    I guess I should have used this in my post as a sarcasm indicator.
    Let's just say... a certain Canadian distributor is really working hard at getting on the Hate list.

  11. #11
    Perpetual Hack
    Reputation: mykel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,976
    You mean there is actually one that is not on the list?!?!

    michael

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,442
    I would never have imagined going to MEC to purchase a Di2 equipped road bike for 4 grand.
    Ghost Lector Pro Road Bicycle (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

  13. #13
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    I would never have imagined going to MEC to purchase a Di2 equipped road bike for 4 grand.
    Ghost Lector Pro Road Bicycle (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available
    Pretty decent parts spec too!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ray.vermette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Considering that you still have to cough up the $5 to be a member of the MEC to take advantage of their attractive low pricing, the average LBS shouldn't fell threatened. I can't remember the last time a bike shop gave me a blanket 2% discount for paying cash, or I was sent an annual dividend cheque by my LBS. I mean, seriously, the MEC only has a membership of 10% of the population of Canada, it's not likely everyone can buy bikes and bike stuff cheaper from a MEC outlet.

    Now if Costco or Wal-Mart started selling brand name high end bike brands....
    A $5 one-time membership fee isn't going to deter someone looking to throw down 1-4k on a bike. Besides, what's a Costco membership go for these days? $55+? Per year?

    MEC may have a membership of 10% of the general population, but I'm guessing among cyclists in cities where they have stores, that percentage is a lot higher. I expect the LBS located in the same city/vicinity as a MEC outlet are going to feel some pain.

    But with only 15 stores across Canada, I agree it won't be as bad as if Costco or Wal-Mart started carrying brand name high end bikes.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stew325's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    379
    My lbs is 5 mins from the Burlington mec. I have to admit, I feel for the owner of the bike store. I think his cost on some things is not far off mecs list price. I have nothing against mec. I guess they have an ethical business model, but I hate seeing local small businesses hurting and disappearing because of the big guys.
    I got blasted on pinkbike for this opinion.

  16. #16
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,106
    People seem to have this weird view of the MEC being some giant conglomerate and corporate powerhouse, but the profits all go back to the membership (currently 3.3 million members). They have substantial buying power as a co-op, but they don't use a predatory corporate model.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ray.vermette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    366
    $3250 for a XT-equiped, carbon-framed, sub-26 pound 120mm travel full squishy XC bike:

    Ghost AMR Lector 7700 Bicycle (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

    I would have a hard time finding a comparable offering from a LBS that comes close to this.

    Hell, I paid about that for a lesser equipped, non-carbon Specialized Epic back in 2008. And that price was steeply discounted from regular retail.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Braids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    $3250 for a XT-equiped, carbon-framed, sub-26 pound 120mm travel full squishy XC bike:

    Ghost AMR Lector 7700 Bicycle (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

    I would have a hard time finding a comparable offering from a LBS that comes close to this.

    Hell, I paid about that for a lesser equipped, non-carbon Specialized Epic back in 2008. And that price was steeply discounted from regular retail.
    Blame the Canadian distributors and not your LBS.

  19. #19
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,883
    I think a problem that will come from this is there'll be a significant lack of expertise when it comes to selling these bikes.

    The folks who work in the MEC bike department, generally arent that knowledgeable when it comes to higher end stuff. Maybe this will change and they'll start hiring more experienced/knowledgeable staff?

    It also seems like an interesting move from Ghost' who might be forfeiting the chance of having boutique value upon entry in the Canadian market.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ray.vermette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer View Post
    I think a problem that will come from this is there'll be a significant lack of expertise when it comes to selling these bikes.

    The folks who work in the MEC bike department, generally arent that knowledgeable when it comes to higher end stuff. Maybe this will change and they'll start hiring more experienced/knowledgeable staff?
    They are moving in that direction:

    MEC Bike Services - Mountain Equipment Co-op

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stew325's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids View Post
    Blame the Canadian distributors and not your LBS.
    Agreed

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Braids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer View Post
    It also seems like an interesting move from Ghost' who might be forfeiting the chance of having boutique value upon entry in the Canadian market.
    They can go the boutique route which means going through a distributor in Canada and they usually add about $500 to $1000 to the price tag compared to US prices for complete bikes and then you also have the bike shop mark up on top of that or they can sell directly to MEC for the same price they would probably sell to a distributor in Canada and MEC only puts a bike shop mark up on it. The result is a cheaper bike to consumers that more people will probably buy for the same per unit profit to Ghost. Which would you choose if you were Ghost?

  23. #23
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,296
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer View Post
    I
    The folks who work in the MEC bike department, generally arent that knowledgeable when it comes to higher end stuff. Maybe this will change and they'll start hiring more experienced/knowledgeable staff?
    One woman who used to work in the bike department was a hard core mountaibn biker. Rode wearing a short skirt over her lycra while hammering through the Don.

  24. #24
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    One woman who used to work in the bike department was a hard core mountaibn biker. Rode wearing a short skirt over her lycra while hammering through the Don.

    ...Not to say there arent exceptions.

    I dealt with the bike department manager of MEC vancouver 4-5 years ago when I was considering moving to BC. I was applying for a wrench job and through the course of the interviews, he made it pretty clear that the focus of their department was entry level - recreational cyclists, and made it a point to say they do not target the high performance segment, nor did they have any plans to do so.

    By bringing in Ghost, this would seem to be a pretty big change in focus.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ray.vermette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    366
    I've read that the Ghost full suspension bikes use a Horst Link design, and the U.S. patent on that (purchased by Specialized some time ago) just expired on January 21st, 2012.

    Some European bike manufacturers that were using a Horst Link design and were not able to sell in North America due to the patent, are now able to sell without having to deal with Specialized. North American bike manufacturers can now use the Horst Link design without working out an agreement with Specialized.

    If all this is true (take it with a grain of salt -- I read it on the internet and there is conflicting information on the patent), then expect to see a lot more competition in the full suspension mtb market this year.

    Things are about to get interesting!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Braids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    I've read that the Ghost full suspension bikes use a Horst Link design, and the U.S. patent on that (purchased by Specialized some time ago) just expired on January 21st, 2012.
    There was a discussion about this on this forum, but good luck finding it. If I recall correctly, the patent actually doesn't expire this year but in a couple of more years. I can't exactly remember the reason right now, but I think it had to do with the type of patent it was at the time.
    I don't think there will be a straight answer until Specialized mentions it or it's officially announced in the cycling press and it's a big deal so it should be in the press.

  27. #27
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,106
    Several Canadian manufacturers have used the Horst Link patent if they weren't selling their bikes in the US, as Specialized didn't have a Canadian patent.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Several Canadian manufacturers have used the Horst Link patent if they weren't selling their bikes in the US, as Specialized didn't have a Canadian patent.
    I believe that's correct. Devinci and Norco have both built horst link bikes. I have a 2010 Wilson, and I hear they were not available in the US for this very reason.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,768
    Norco licenses the FSR patent from Special Ed so they can sell bikes in the USA.

    The patent is only enforceable is the USA. You can sell horst link bikes ANYWHERE other than the USA and not worry about the patent issue.

  30. #30
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,106
    I think it was Scott bikes that used Horst Link in Europe and on bikes available in Canada but had a standard 4 bar rear end in the US.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  31. #31
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,762
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    A $5 one-time membership fee isn't going to deter someone looking to throw down 1-4k on a bike. Besides, what's a Costco membership go for these days? $55+? Per year?

    MEC may have a membership of 10% of the general population, but I'm guessing among cyclists in cities where they have stores, that percentage is a lot higher. I expect the LBS located in the same city/vicinity as a MEC outlet are going to feel some pain.
    Yes....the pain of increased sales and service income. Ohhhh the humanity...the sky is falling... grow up people. MEC is now the canadian distributor for Ghost... and are selling them exclusively for the moment through their stores. I for one am glad because now if I want to own a Ghost (and I do), I can get IN COUNTRY warranty support and parts for the thing.

    Ya know Norco sells parts to MEC as a distributor for shimano, sram and marzocchi and Raceface sells to them also and neither of those things have meant lost sales to LBS's. And you know why not? Because MEC's prices aren't all that low on bike parts or bicycles for that matter. Of course I'm just going off prices here in Ottawa between MEC and other stores, but if wherever you are the LBS is charging way more for say, a chain, than MEC is... find a better LBS that isn't trying to gouge you.

    Remember... the S in MSRP stands for SUGGESTED. Not every LBS follows that suggestion though.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,768
    Brodie did a double run of rear ends on their fs bikes for a couple years. They did Horst in Canada and then moved the pivot for the US bikes.

  33. #33
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids View Post
    Blame the Canadian distributors and not your LBS.
    Thanks to a certain Cdn distributor who have no messed up 2 orders in less then 2 weeks I'm currently sourcing form CRC the same parts for a customer. Who is to put it nicely pissed at said distributor.

  34. #34
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,762
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    $3250 for a XT-equiped, carbon-framed, sub-26 pound 120mm travel full squishy XC bike:

    Ghost AMR Lector 7700 Bicycle (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

    I would have a hard time finding a comparable offering from a LBS that comes close to this.

    Hell, I paid about that for a lesser equipped, non-carbon Specialized Epic back in 2008. And that price was steeply discounted from regular retail.
    Well go into Pecco's then and get an Eclipse. There are other bike stores in canada that also have their own bike brands. Anyway except for the 120mm travel part, you could get a Hero carbon FS/4 for sub-26 pounds (the ghost weight btw is without pedals) with 100mm travel, also uses a HL 4-bar design, and an X-Fusion PVA shock which has a 4-position pedal platform and adjustable rebound and XT components for about the same price as the Ghost already.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Braids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    I think it was Scott bikes that used Horst Link in Europe and on bikes available in Canada but had a standard 4 bar rear end in the US.
    It was Scott and I think they've gone to Faux Bar now in Canada.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ray.vermette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    366
    I found a few threads suggesting January 2012 as the expiry, some suggesting a later date, others earlier.

    Some North American manufacturers were licensing the patent from Specialized. Others played around with the pivot points to get around the patent (e.g. "faux-bar"), and still others adopted different suspension designs.

    The patent was unenforceable in Europe, but European manufacturers that tried to import into N.A. in the past ran into trouble with Specialized. There was a legal case involving the Scott Genius about this.

    So says the interwebs....

  37. #37
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Oh the horror. MEC is out to destroy the LBS.
    More like out to destroy OGC or lambert. Win. The LBS should be singing MEC's song for actually creating a chance for some free play.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veteran_youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    767
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    Ya know Norco sells parts to MEC as a distributor for shimano, sram and marzocchi
    Can you back that up with anything substantial? I was talking to the Shimano rep a few years ago who said that they had no idea where MEC got Shimano parts from (I don't necessarily buy that) but I find Norco a bit hard to believe. With this latest development I feel it is more likely that they are simply getting a bulk discount from CRC.

    (Also the Shimano conversation was in regards to pedals which no Canadian distributor except Shimano Canada sells)

    Otherwise I agree with most of what you said, except from the listed pricing it seems like the Ghost bikes will be far more aggressively priced than their lower end models (where they effectively make 2 levels of mark-up).

  39. #39
    Talentless Hack
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,427
    Quote Originally Posted by MEC.ca
    Made in Germany

    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

  40. #40
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,762
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    Can you back that up with anything substantial? I was talking to the Shimano rep a few years ago who said that they had no idea where MEC got Shimano parts from (I don't necessarily buy that) but I find Norco a bit hard to believe. With this latest development I feel it is more likely that they are simply getting a bulk discount from CRC.

    (Also the Shimano conversation was in regards to pedals which no Canadian distributor except Shimano Canada sells)

    Otherwise I agree with most of what you said, except from the listed pricing it seems like the Ghost bikes will be far more aggressively priced than their lower end models (where they effectively make 2 levels of mark-up).
    I don't know what the rep you were talking to was smoking but shimano is who sells them the pedals directly. They may "claim" to regular folk who ask that they're clueless as to where MEC gets the pedals, but shimano isn't going to turn down a large order for their pedals just because its a chain of outdoor sporting goods stores. REI stores in the states fill basically the same function as MEC does in canada, and shimano pedals are sold thru them also. REI is also a co-operative that is privately held by its membership. It was founded in 1938 (33 years before MEC) and also like MEC was started to import gear for its members that was unavailable anywhere else in the country.

    REI also sells bikes, suspension forks, all sorts of things regular bike stores sell. Cannondale, Scott and GT bikes can be bought at an REI location, and you don't see big forum whinefests over them carrying those lines of bikes by LBS fanboys and "distributor" spokepersons.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,768
    Does REI have the same tax status that MEC has?

  42. #42
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,106
    REI is also a Co-op, it's less about tax status and more about distribution of profits and the amount of profit needed, in a co-op usually all the profits go back to the members so there's no tax on the co-op profits, the income is declared by the members.

    Interesting that REI apparently has just over 4 million members, which is not that large a difference over MEC considering the US population is 110x that of Canada.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,768
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    REI is also a Co-op, it's less about tax status and more about distribution of profits and the amount of profit needed, in a co-op usually all the profits go back to the members so there's no tax on the co-op profits, the income is declared by the members.

    Interesting that REI apparently has just over 4 million members, which is not that large a difference over MEC considering the US population is 110x that of Canada.
    You don't need to be a member of REI to purchase there. MEC you must be a member.

  44. #44
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    You don't need to be a member of REI to purchase there. MEC you must be a member.
    They always ask to see my membership card at the check-out.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  45. #45
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,296
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Does REI have the same tax status that MEC has?
    Hard to compare when one factors in 2 diferent countries and different tax laws.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10
    What do you guys think of the Ghost EBS hardtail ? Is this a frame worth building on for an entry level/intermediate ?
    Is 675 too much to pay for this bike ?

  47. #47
    mtbr Decade+
    Reputation: Biggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Erikk View Post
    What do you guys think of the Ghost EBS hardtail ? Is this a frame worth building on for an entry level/intermediate ?
    Is 675 too much to pay for this bike ?
    If you don't know the answer to those questions you should probably stop in to your LBS.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

  48. #48
    livin' large
    Reputation: canadian-clydesdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by Erikk View Post
    What do you guys think of the Ghost EBS hardtail ? Is this a frame worth building on for an entry level/intermediate ?
    Is 675 too much to pay for this bike ?
    frame is nice but the fork isn't the nicest feeling fork, but she rides ok and is quite a looker
    it tied the room together man!

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    197
    I especially like their descriptions:

    Slick, electronic Di2 technology shifts gears in a fraction of a second and makes you feel like youíre surfing waves on a twin fin board or commanding a Tesla Roadster. Fantastically lightweight carbon frame drives fast and handles supremely well on stiff corners.

    <li>Toray T-700 high molecular carbon fibre frame. Tube dimensions are calibrated to prevent vibration.
    <li>Stiff frame with slim, active flex seat stays are designed to save energy over the kilometres.
    <li>Performance-oriented geometry. The top tube slopes toward the back, so the seat tube protrudes and adds suspension.
    There's something there that I can't pinpoint, but it sounds like someone's got their head deep in some marketing manuals.. :P

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    174
    MEC rocks... Another good move by the co-op. Those prices on the Ghost bikes are impressive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •