Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

MEC Selling Ghost Bikes.

MEC to distribute Ghost bikes in Canada - Pinkbike.com

Not bad. Nice to see some more variety at MEC bikewise.
    "What is this? A center for ants?"

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Oh the horror. MEC is out to destroy the LBS.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Oh the horror. MEC is out to destroy the LBS.
    And the distributors, with which we would never be able to survive without in Canada.

ups and downs
    Imagine the market ruckus if it was Giant, Specialized or Trek bikes.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I was considering a few Ghost bikes from CRC in the fall. Some great value for the money.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids View Post
    And the distributors, with which we would never be able to survive without in Canada.
    For one that may not be a bad thing.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    For one that may not be a bad thing.
    I guess I should have used this in my post as a sarcasm indicator.

ups and downs
    Considering that you still have to cough up the $5 to be a member of the MEC to take advantage of their attractive low pricing, the average LBS shouldn't fell threatened. I can't remember the last time a bike shop gave me a blanket 2% discount for paying cash, or I was sent an annual dividend cheque by my LBS. I mean, seriously, the MEC only has a membership of 10% of the population of Canada, it's not likely everyone can buy bikes and bike stuff cheaper from a MEC outlet.

Now if Costco or Wal-Mart started selling brand name high end bike brands....

Evil Jr.
    This could get interesting. What if MEC decides to distribute all sorts of Euro brands like Ghost and Cube.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I guess I should have used this in my post as a sarcasm indicator.
    Let's just say... a certain Canadian distributor is really working hard at getting on the Hate list.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Perpetual Hack
    You mean there is actually one that is not on the list?!?!

michael

mtbr member
    I would never have imagined going to MEC to purchase a Di2 equipped road bike for 4 grand.
    Ghost Lector Pro Road Bicycle (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available
    "What is this? A center for ants?"

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    I would never have imagined going to MEC to purchase a Di2 equipped road bike for 4 grand.
    Ghost Lector Pro Road Bicycle (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available
    Pretty decent parts spec too!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

sore member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Considering that you still have to cough up the $5 to be a member of the MEC to take advantage of their attractive low pricing, the average LBS shouldn't fell threatened. I can't remember the last time a bike shop gave me a blanket 2% discount for paying cash, or I was sent an annual dividend cheque by my LBS. I mean, seriously, the MEC only has a membership of 10% of the population of Canada, it's not likely everyone can buy bikes and bike stuff cheaper from a MEC outlet.

Now if Costco or Wal-Mart started selling brand name high end bike brands....
    A $5 one-time membership fee isn't going to deter someone looking to throw down 1-4k on a bike. Besides, what's a Costco membership go for these days? $55+? Per year?

MEC may have a membership of 10% of the general population, but I'm guessing among cyclists in cities where they have stores, that percentage is a lot higher. I expect the LBS located in the same city/vicinity as a MEC outlet are going to feel some pain.

But with only 15 stores across Canada, I agree it won't be as bad as if Costco or Wal-Mart started carrying brand name high end bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My lbs is 5 mins from the Burlington mec. I have to admit, I feel for the owner of the bike store. I think his cost on some things is not far off mecs list price. I have nothing against mec. I guess they have an ethical business model, but I hate seeing local small businesses hurting and disappearing because of the big guys.
    I got blasted on pinkbike for this opinion.

ups and downs
    People seem to have this weird view of the MEC being some giant conglomerate and corporate powerhouse, but the profits all go back to the membership (currently 3.3 million members). They have substantial buying power as a co-op, but they don't use a predatory corporate model.

sore member
    $3250 for a XT-equiped, carbon-framed, sub-26 pound 120mm travel full squishy XC bike:

Ghost AMR Lector 7700 Bicycle (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

I would have a hard time finding a comparable offering from a LBS that comes close to this.

Hell, I paid about that for a lesser equipped, non-carbon Specialized Epic back in 2008. And that price was steeply discounted from regular retail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    $3250 for a XT-equiped, carbon-framed, sub-26 pound 120mm travel full squishy XC bike:

Ghost AMR Lector 7700 Bicycle (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

I would have a hard time finding a comparable offering from a LBS that comes close to this.

Hell, I paid about that for a lesser equipped, non-carbon Specialized Epic back in 2008. And that price was steeply discounted from regular retail.
    Blame the Canadian distributors and not your LBS.

rad to the power of sick
    I think a problem that will come from this is there'll be a significant lack of expertise when it comes to selling these bikes.

The folks who work in the MEC bike department, generally arent that knowledgeable when it comes to higher end stuff. Maybe this will change and they'll start hiring more experienced/knowledgeable staff?

It also seems like an interesting move from Ghost' who might be forfeiting the chance of having boutique value upon entry in the Canadian market.

sore member
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer View Post
    I think a problem that will come from this is there'll be a significant lack of expertise when it comes to selling these bikes.

The folks who work in the MEC bike department, generally arent that knowledgeable when it comes to higher end stuff. Maybe this will change and they'll start hiring more experienced/knowledgeable staff?
    They are moving in that direction:

MEC Bike Services - Mountain Equipment Co-op

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Blame the Canadian distributors and not your LBS.
    Agreed

mtbr member
    It also seems like an interesting move from Ghost' who might be forfeiting the chance of having boutique value upon entry in the Canadian market.
    They can go the boutique route which means going through a distributor in Canada and they usually add about $500 to $1000 to the price tag compared to US prices for complete bikes and then you also have the bike shop mark up on top of that or they can sell directly to MEC for the same price they would probably sell to a distributor in Canada and MEC only puts a bike shop mark up on it. The result is a cheaper bike to consumers that more people will probably buy for the same per unit profit to Ghost. Which would you choose if you were Ghost?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I
    One woman who used to work in the bike department was a hard core mountaibn biker. Rode wearing a short skirt over her lycra while hammering through the Don.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

rad to the power of sick
    One woman who used to work in the bike department was a hard core mountaibn biker. Rode wearing a short skirt over her lycra while hammering through the Don.

...Not to say there arent exceptions.

I dealt with the bike department manager of MEC vancouver 4-5 years ago when I was considering moving to BC. I was applying for a wrench job and through the course of the interviews, he made it pretty clear that the focus of their department was entry level - recreational cyclists, and made it a point to say they do not target the high performance segment, nor did they have any plans to do so.

By bringing in Ghost, this would seem to be a pretty big change in focus.

sore member
    I've read that the Ghost full suspension bikes use a Horst Link design, and the U.S. patent on that (purchased by Specialized some time ago) just expired on January 21st, 2012.

Some European bike manufacturers that were using a Horst Link design and were not able to sell in North America due to the patent, are now able to sell without having to deal with Specialized. North American bike manufacturers can now use the Horst Link design without working out an agreement with Specialized.

If all this is true (take it with a grain of salt -- I read it on the internet and there is conflicting information on the patent), then expect to see a lot more competition in the full suspension mtb market this year.

Things are about to get interesting!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast