Hack Racer

Maxxis Flyweight Tubes

I was wondering if anyone has seen these tubes in stock at a Local Bike Store in the Greater Toronto Area

Thanks.

rad to the power of sick
    Any bigger shop that does high volume can get those for you in a couple of days max. Since its a cheaper item, you can likely call it in too.

However, i will say that ive had trouble with those tubes, and superlight tubes in general.. they tend to rip at the seam and are really really susceptible to punctures. I've started to use 1.5-1.75" regular tubes in a 2.0" tire. They weighed in at 115-120g each.

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007
    If you use undersized tubes, wouldn't it stand to reason that some parts of the tube are super-stretched and even more prone to punctures? I'm thinking of balloon art balloons, for example. When they are being inflated - sections of the balloon expand before others, not always closest to the opening..

That said, my only pinch flat came on a Maxxis Ultralight tube at Buckwallow. While I've had good luck with them otherwise, the Flyweight is 30g lighter.

Hack Racer
    I've had good luck with flyweights. I bought them at Universal Cycles when I did a big order a while back. One tube lasted 3 months with 3 times a week rides, then it developed a slightly leak at a seem. Wouldn't hold air overnight. I put a patch on there, then I did a tire change in the rain at hardwood hills this past weekend at the epic 8. I was in a hurry and I must have gotten some pebbles inside the other tire and it ruined the other tube.

So all of you guys got your local bike store to special order them in? I have a feeling I'm going to get fleeced for them...

mtbr member
    I use Maxxis Ultralights and have had no troubles with them.
    Dan
    Ontario, Canada

2007 Cannondale Scalpel 1
    2005 Cannondale Rush 1000
    2004 Cannondale Chase

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ddakin, where do you usually buy them?

mtbr member
    If you're in Niagara I believe Liberty carries them. If not, anyone can order them in.
    Dan
    Ontario, Canada

2007 Cannondale Scalpel 1
    2005 Cannondale Rush 1000
    2004 Cannondale Chase

mtbr member
    I thought I saw some at Silent Sports, but you might want to call and check it out.

mtbr member
    Also use the flyweights with no troubles, but found mine on flea-bay. Six for 30$ + shipping. Sadly they are no longer available from the seller.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    I use Maxxis Ultralights and have had no troubles with them.
    X2 here
    [SIZE="6"]TORBA[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

No thanks

A shop was firesaling them at the Toronto Bike Show last year - $4.50 each. I bought four and went through them all in 2 months. Maybe a bad batch, but I'd never buy them again.