Misfit Psycles

Matt Spak Official Comensi Backensi Motivational Thread

Matt.
    You may not be aware but your absence was a huge topic of conversation at the winter WOW this weekend.
    Many of the participants were dejected, rejected, dismayed and some, furious...

Then THIS (Saturday November 15th ed) came across the news desk this morning.

So why do I say the race season is over. Because I'm bailing on the W.O.W. race in Mansfield this weekend. There are so many factors in this decision. First off. I have less than 2 weeks to have my house packed. How much stuff can one man have?? I'm finding out more than I thought.

The 2nd is the weather is going to be absolute crap. Plus 3 and pouring rain really does not appeal to me in November. I know pretty weak excuse, I even think so. I love the crappiest conditions for races. Short races at least, but I have no craving to spend just over 2 hours wet and cold. I have yet have yet to figure out how to mount an umbrella on my bike.

The third is that I have my first power test coming up in a couple weeks and I want to be healthy and as strong as possible for it. I know that I would not be able to make myself back down at the race. Plans were to do it on a single speed which means more work.

Last but not least, the single speed is dirty. I think this is the best excuse and I'm sticking to it as my main reason why I've called it quits for the year.
    You sir, like it or not, have elevated yourself to something beyond description...a self produced cycling celebrity of sorts in shorts.

A cycling entity of Spearsesque proportions, one that seems to be teetering on the cusp of either true fame or prescription drug abusing, shaved headed belladonna.

Dammit man, you have commitments that extend beyond stuffing your medals into boxes.
    Confucius says: racer-man who is uses four excuses to cover assus runs the risk of becoming a pariah...and not the kind buried in pyramids.

I was sickened as I read your post...not for you...but for me, for cycling...

MASH was never the same after Frank Burns left.

I would like to keep this thread alive all winter, an ongoing motivation to Matt to ensure he returns in 2009...bigger, stronger, faster and excuse free.

We all need more Spak.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere

We all need more Spak.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Well sorry to let you down Peter. I had planned on playing Sunday but with all the panic of moving in less than 2 weeks priorities had to be put in the proper place and in this case a race was pushed to the side.

I know they were weak excuses but it was all I had left. I used up all my good ones earlier in the year. I guess my only choice for 2009 will be to ride to more gooder than I did in 2008.

My apoligize to all, I'll try hard next time.

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    This one has an aroma of retro flair reminiscent of the "Kapow!" style popups on the original Batman TV series with Adam West. The superhero tie-in works very well in this application. Maybe we can all pony up a few bucks each and get promo vid done for Mr. Spak along these lines;

Matt Spak promo video concept candidate #14 (click START)

BTW, nogears you're just a mean, spiteful, miserable excuse for a human being. The man is winding down the season, only wanting to carve out a few brief moments of Spak-on-Spak reflection time after a long and difficult race calendar, before attacking the power testing with angst fueled vengeance in a couple of weeks. Then you go all apesh!t on your keyboard in the midst of one of your frequent roid rage episodes, calling out the man in public for exercising his right to skip a race. Shame, nogears. Shame...

Your divisive and destructive tendencies will not be tolerated any more. I hereby banish you from the Eastern forum.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Your divisive and destructive tendencies will not be tolerated any more. I hereby banish you from the Eastern forum.
    as though i didnt LIVE in the east you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 24 solo
    I know they were weak excuses but it was all I had left. I used up all my good ones earlier in the year. I guess my only choice for 2009 will be to ride to more gooder than I did in 2008.

My apoligize to all, I'll try hard next time.
    It appears that you have already grown leaps and bounds...well aside from that first bit i deleted cause it was once again a lame attempt at justification.

if there is one thing i learned about the powers of the internet...ANYTHING is possible and quite maybe it is even TRUE, thirdly public displays of digital bravado can be the best motivational speaker you'll never pay for and finally, a free trial - really isnt...buxxxom blondes will be billed to your visa, like it or not.

in the words of STEVE MARTIN (winter wow 3rd overall, 2nd ss div) at the start line: "I really wish I didnt talk so much **** over the last few days, I really dont want to race today"

this is your watershed Matt.
    you will thank me from on high, trust me.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

No. Just No.
    as though i didnt LIVE in the east you mean?
    Impartiality due to my alternate province of residence is exactly what makes me uniquely qualified to issue the decree of your banishment.

Looking for Adventure
    Nogears.......I have watched you here all year.......and even stalked you perhaps.....and have noticed massive gains in your racing abilities. You may take a bow now.

Now, whether with drugs, or just plain intense training, all racers and coaches will tell you that there is a time called the off season. That means do something other then racing, preferably no mountain biking......it really means get some other hobby that requires exercise (we can provide the necessary support group).

You may be strong now, but by early summer you will become a bag of mashed potatoes (freeze dried) if you don't give it a rest soon. Ever hear of terms like burn out, periodic recovery, and cross training? Keep pushing yourself hard through the winter and we will begin to see you post on the "Beer" thread. Maybe even the "Vintage" thread........."Hasbeen" thread.....
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

sock puppet

too bad

but I have no craving to spend just over 2 hours wet and cold. I have yet have yet to figure out how to mount an umbrella on my bike..
    finishing in just over 2 hours, you would have swept the competition including noggs. That would have taught him a lesson not to talk trash like that..

sock puppet

you dont know noggs, Rickie

he didnt even push himself this year. you can call this year - his OFF year. this is his rest year. wait till the icebreaker and you will see. he will be racing it listening to his ipod and riding a fixie. mark my words...

Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Nogears.......I have watched you here all year.......and even stalked you perhaps.....and have noticed massive gains in your racing abilities. You may take a bow now.

Now, whether with drugs, or just plain intense training, all racers and coaches will tell you that there is a time called the off season. That means do something other then racing, preferably no mountain biking......it really means get some other hobby that requires exercise (we can provide the necessary support group).

You may be strong now, but by early summer you will become a bag of mashed potatoes (freeze dried) if you don't give it a rest soon. Ever hear of terms like burn out, periodic recovery, and cross training? Keep pushing yourself hard through the winter and we will begin to see you post on the "Beer" thread. Maybe even the "Vintage" thread........."Hasbeen" thread.....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Impartiality due to my alternate province of residence is exactly what makes me uniquely qualified to issue the decree of your banishment.
    Yes, that place where soon it will be so overwhelmed by the Olympic hype that it will implode and disrupt the space time continum. Or is that what you are hoping so that you can travel back in time to make some adjustments to past races.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    While the common among us may call his actions DISPAKABLE, I personally believe that we all have a lot to learn from Dr Spak, Certified Excusologist. He has raised the art form of excuse making into a veritable science. Until today I had never dreamed of a 4 layer excuse.

It is true that talking shite over the past week forced me to the start line of the 3 hour death march and tree-branch-*****-slap that was the Winter Wow. Had I retained the services of Dr. Spak, I could have had a wonderful 4 layer excuse that would have kept me in the comfort of my own home. Being excuseless, I am in the un-enviable position of having tied nogears (4th overall, 3rd in SS, 2nd in age category) for the title of first place loser, SS class in Winter Wow (calculated over 2007/2008 - it's a complicated tie). Now, I face the prospect of racing against an increasingly fast nogears for the 2009 rubber match. Dr. Spak, I may be retaining your services for next year.

mtbr member
    Now, I feel like I may have a unique perspective on this thread as I did a whole lot of NOT RACING this past season. Let me make a simple pointer:

If you need an excuse for not racing, LIMIT YOURSELF TO ONE EXCUSE. Aside from seeming like you need to prove something, the other excuses could prove valuable for other events you want to cop out of! Ideally, if there is a time sensitive excuse (e.g. packing to move) try to use it before its expiry date.

Also, I have in the past, found that a "Not Racing Report" might help us all understand exactly why you could not race, along the lines of a detailed RKJ post, maybe even with pictures. Example excerpts:

"I awoke at the crack of dawn with a single goal in mind; to crush all of my previous packing results..."

"I was a little intimidated when I saw the volume of cars in the Loblaws parking lot, but I would not be denied! Those banana boxes would be mine!"

"I had a near miss while wrapping my Royal Doulton doll collection, but luckily I only dropped Francine on shag carpet so I inspected for damage and made a quick recovery"

You get the idea......

Oh yeah and anyone else want to get in on this Ice-Fixer pact? Or is Oggs writing checks that Noggs can't cash?

Bored
    this thread brings a tear to my eye.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.