Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Marathon series #2 - Mansfield

It's on for #2 race in Mansfield on Sunday June 14th. Who's in?

All my faucets is Moen.
    JC, as you know Iím in for sure. Do you think we can get Tom to drive us again?

Iíve been feeling great on the bike lately so I believe that I can have a good result (good for me). Obviously not a podium spot (or anything close) but Iím going to try and be aggressive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Good for you Jeff. The opposite for me, I have not been feeling really good on the bike lately. This wednesday 8 X 12 will determine my physical status. I will talk to Tom on wednesday and see about car pooling. See you on Wednesday

Misfit Psycles
    the TECHNICAL GUIDE that details starts and other stuff is still HORSESHOE...anyone care to confirm that the times and details of the clocular sort are accurate?
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Nothing updated on the site at this time. I had it on the schedule but I'm going to pass this weekend and spend time down at Albion on the 24 hour course. Looks like the weather will be perfect for the race. Complete opposite of the first race. Have fun

sock puppet
    i wanted to race this one, at mansfield, but the lack of info is disappointing... i may have to pass and spend the time in the road saddle...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ill be there with bells on. I may even eat properly during the race so I don't blow up, Horseshoe completely destroyed me.

mtbr member
    I think I am going to give this race a shot. I may not be really ready for 70km rides, but I am not that far off either. So I sent an e-mail to Dan last week about the race and here is his response:

Hi Tom, the final stats on the course will be available for Monday as we are improving the course a little from last year. It will be around 70km, and around 3000-5000 feet of climbing for the full marathon. The schedule is the same as the one posted for the first race under technical guide. Hope that helps. We look forward to seeing you at the race.
    Dan

So to answer nogearshere's clocular question, looks like the stats are the same.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Misfit Psycles
    thanks serious.
    i am in...in so much as i plan to show up and register day-of.

craig barlow can suck it.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    So I sent an e-mail to Dan last week about the race and here is his response:
    Sometimes you have to put more faith into a person than into a website......
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Sometimes you have to put more faith into a person than into a website......
    Skepticism is the beginning of faith.
    Oscar Wilde
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Gears, beers and slices..
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    Ooohh...biting off a piece of the Original "Big Ring" (as opposed to one of his many degenerate poseurs) with a bit of late 90's pop culture. Nicely spoken.

Mr. Barlow, you got served. Would you care to respond?

mtbr member
    May 2009

Marathon 2: Mansfield Technical Guide

Hey everyone, sorry about the delay in posting the technical guide, but my web guy is apparently a little slow....

here it is.
    Sorry the formating will be crap, just a copy and paste from the original, but I want the info out there.
    See you at the race. If anyone wants to help there are a few trees down and some leaf blowing going on. Let me know
    Dan

2009 Ontario Marathon Challenge #2
    Mansfield Outdoor Centre Technical Guide

Contents

Schedule
    Course Description
    Medical / Hospitals
    Event Rules
    Equipment Rules
    Directions

Schedule

8 am Registration opens
    9:30 am Registration closes for both races
    9:45 am Rider briefing
    10 am Marathon start
    10:15 or 10:30 am Half marathon start
    12:30 pm Anticipated first finish half marathon
    1:30 pm Anticipated first finish marathon
    3:30 pm Awards
    5 pm Course closes

Course Description

Marathon: The marathon course consists of a 15km start loop, followed by a 63km loop with approximately 4000m of climbing and descending for a total distance of 78.5km. It is fast flowing and fun all the way. There are a few sustained climbs; however the course is mostly rolling. Feed zones will be at 18.5 km, 37.5 km and 60.5 km.

Half Marathon: The half marathon course will consist of a 38km loop with approximately 1000m of climbing. Skipping the long sustained climbs and technical descents of the full marathon course, the half marathon will be fun and filled with single track. The feed zone will be at 21 km.

First Aid/Medical

The Emergency Action Plan Co-ordinator will be responsible for first aid/medical decisions. She will be located at the timing area near the start/finish.

If you are injured on course and need assistance, please notify another competitor. If you see someone in need of medical assistance, please stop and lend help as you are able and note the location on course and notify the next course marshal (located at each feedzone).

Substance Projects staff are prepared to assist the evacuation of an injured participant. If the injury occurres in a single-track section, the rider will be carried to the nearest appropriate double-track area and brought back to the start/finish area via an all-wheel drive vehicle, and then transported to the nearest hospital.

The nearest hospital to the race site is the Stevenson Memorial Hospital in Alliston on Fletcher Cres.

Event Rules

The race will be held under the event rules of the Union Cycliste International (UCI) and the Canadian Cycling Association (CCA) with the exception of inclusion of a start loop. For a full list of rules see the Ontario Cycling Association (OCA) web site.

All riders must follow the course as marked and must not cut any single track sections. All riders must respect the venue and the trails and endeavour to not damage or pollute the venue.

Riders who do not complete the race must notify an official of their withdrawal from the event. Any search and rescue costs will be the sole responsibility of the rider.

Riders must respect other trail users. The course is not a closed race course.

There is no mechanical assistance during the race.

Equipment Rules

Bikes must meet safety criteria as defined by UCI standards.
    Riders must wear a helmet at all times.
    Any riders needing specific medication (e.g. for asthma, allergies, etc.) are advised to carry it with them during the race and to take any necessary precautions.

Directions

Take Highway 400 to the exit at Highway 89 (Cookstown). Proceed west on Highway 89 through the towns of Cookstown and Alliston until you meet Airport Road (also known as Dufferin County Rd 18). Turn north and go approximately 10km to the sign for Mansfield Outdoor Centre on the right side. Turn into the driveway and continue to the end. Registration is in the main chalet.

mtbr member
    I don't know about the rest of you crazy people, but when I saw 4000 meters (13,200 feet) of elevation change for the marathon I nearly fainted. We don't do this kind of climbing in the hardest O-Cups. And this is much harder than the 7000 feet of elevation change over 55km that Horshoe had.

Any comments to calm me down?
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Don't worry. That is based on Garmin. those things catch every ripple. Also, there are a few tough climbs, but it is mostly rolling. Keep off the brakes and you will roll up the other side most of the course. I rode it and it is fun. You will feel challenged and be able to brag, but it is a fun ride. I loved designing this course.

If you are really concerned, the half marathon avoids the major climbs and has a lot of fun flowing single track. Give it a try. the course is one lap, but it loops back close to the start a few times. you can bail if you need to. (I admit I am biased though!)

All my faucets is Moen.
    Marathon is a different animal then OCup. Its a completely different kind of pain.

After Horseshoe I'm loving the 4000m with rolling hills. Sustained climbs are fun. It'll be a great day. Bring the Misfit and get ready to party. Mansfield is a great SS track.

the original big ring
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    thanks serious.
    i am in...in so much as i plan to show up and register day-of.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Barley
    pffft
    good one Francis...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Thanks guys for the encouragement. I am ready to party. I will do the full marathon on the SS.

Hopefully Barley and nogearshere will take each other out and let me move up 2 places. KIDDING !!!
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    Pake French 75 track

the original big ring
    Looking forward to seeing the dark (ahem . . . gay) lord this weekend

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Barley
    Looking forward to seeing the dark (ahem . . . gay) lord this weekend
    VICTORY BARSOLOW!
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

All my faucets is Moen.
    Who says there's something missing from these forums?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    I don't know about the rest of you crazy people, but when I saw 4000 meters (13,200 feet) of elevation change for the marathon I nearly fainted. We don't do this kind of climbing in the hardest O-Cups. And this is much harder than the 7000 feet of elevation change over 55km that Horshoe had.

Any comments to calm me down?
    Serious, you slap those arse cheeks of yours on that bike seat and get to that start line on Sunday. If I can't ride it, you have to and I want to hear all about it after.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    racergurl: Serious, you slap those arse cheeks of yours on that bike seat and get to that start line on Sunday. If I can't ride it, you have to and I want to hear all about it after.

Now I could not back out of this thing if I my life depended on it.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    This series sounds like fun....
    Sooner or later I'd like to test myself on a race like this.
    This kind of event suits on me ,I'm not a really fast rider but I can climb (hopefully I'm not overrating my abilities ) , I think I have the endurance..
    My bike is a Specialized Enduro '08 weights around 29 pounds so it's not the lightest.
    What do you think guys?
    Am I thinking wrong?
    Should I start somewhere else?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast