Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Marathon # 3 at the Ganaraska this Sunday

Let's talk about this one.

Our babysitting situation is still up in the air, but hopefully either my wife or I (or both of us) will be at the Ganaraska on Sunday. No worries from us about that forest (which we might consider one of "our" home trails) as I can't think of a forest that stands up better to a lot of rain (actually seems to prefer it). We went for a 25 km ride in there the day after the Albion OCUP (which was also very muddy- had to walk up several double-track climbs on the second half of the lap that day), and we encountered one puddle, that we simply rode around.

My wife just left to go for a ride there, taking her chances on the rain today.

I'm interested in seeing how Dan sets the 35 and 70km courses. The Paul's Dirty Enduro 60 km course is a great route ( I think it's actually about 56-57), and he'll have to incorporate much of it, especially if he wants to stay in the Central Forest.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm doing this one since it is much closer to home then all the other races. I was hoping to get out and ride this week while i am on holidays but as usual all it does is rain when i am off.

All my faucets is Moen.
    I'll be doing this race as well. I've only ridden the Ganny once and can't wait to do it again.

I did Paul's 60k last year and really struggled. Had some nutrition and mechanical issues and it took me about 5.5hrs to finish (ouch). At that point it was the furthest I've ever ridden, never mind all singletrack. Hope to be better this weekend. I guess I've been captain of the mid-pack at the first 2 marathon events finishing 26th and 23rd.

I've noticed 6 of my 8 races this year have been over 45k with one of the other two being an OCup. hummmm?

All my faucets is Moen.
    The Technical Guide has been posted

Marathon: The course is fast! Final distance will be posted at the start, but 78km is the
    current number. Not too technical, long single track, fast flowing double track and great
    transitions and flow from start to finish. Feedzone distances will be posted at registration.
    This is a modified Paul’s 60k loop. Keep your head up though and look for the BIG
    orange arrows!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    10:00 Marathon start

1:00 Anticipated first finisher of the marathon

WHO is this?!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2

WHO is this?!
    Jose Hemanus?
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    Jose Hemanus?
    They all come out the same. They all look scared. Great movie just watched it 2 days ago

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    Jose Hemanus?
    They all come out the same. They all look scared. Great movie just watched it 2 days ago

sock puppet

am i out for lunch for thinking about using

hard tail bike for this race???

is FS bike an advantage or more weight to haul around, than needed....

throw in some 2 cents worth...

WHO is this?!
    Signature

mtbr member
    I am thinking about doing this race. I need to prepare for the 8 HOUR EPIC, so I am still looking for an 80(ish) km off road ride. I could go to Hardwood and do laps on the EPIC course or come to Ganaraska and race. Hmm, decisions, decisions.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Hardwood wouldn't cost you $50 + ...........

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Damn
    got the flu!!
    Its summer!
    Who gets the flu in the summer?
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:
    FSR XC -R7 Platinum - SRAM X7 (26.5lbs)
    Cervelo SLC - SRAM Rival - Reynolds DV46T (16.25 lbs)

mtbr member
    ccaddy: Hardwood wouldn't cost you $50 +

True, but it is so much more exciting to race against real people (as opposed to the imaginary ones I will create at Hardwood).

Besides, osokolo is showing up, which means that we'll all have deep tracks to follow (yes the man is that big). Which leads me to my next brilliant thought: my advice to osokolo is to use the FS, with as much gear on it as possible. With a little luck I won't get lost this time.
    My rides:
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    Pake French 75 track

sock puppet

hmmm

i'll be watching you buddy... dont even think about loosening bolts on my bike or slashing my tires just before the start... i let you do it only once, now i will be alert...

so are you really saying FS? i have just built a HT and am itching to try it... i realize it is not a good idea to try a newly built bike in a race, but... my building skills are second only to singlesprocket's...

Quote Originally Posted by serious
    ccaddy: Hardwood wouldn't cost you $50 +

True, but it is so much more exciting to race against real people (as opposed to the imaginary ones I will create at Hardwood).

Besides, osokolo is showing up, which means that we'll all have deep tracks to follow (yes the man is that big). Which leads me to my next brilliant thought: my advice to osokolo is to use the FS, with as much gear on it as possible. With a little luck I won't get lost this time.
    Signature

mtbr member
    osokolo,

I think somebody with your fitness and skill can easily handle a HT. If you are sure about the new build, go for it.
    My rides:
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It looks like its just me racing on Sunday. Without a babysitter to rush home for, I'm actually considering the 78 km marathon instead of the 35 km half (as an aside, I believe there needs to be another term for that - no more half-marathons, half-Ironmans etc.).

I do the 60 (closer to 56) at Paul's and have never really considered doing the 100 (partially because the West Forest isn't as much fun as the Central).

Those of you who are racing, are you all doing the 78, or are some doing the 35?

sock puppet

if i go, which is 90% now

i will do 78 km course. i just finished hard ride today, so this will be training, or more likely, sado-masochistic exercise... as serious said, i just need some good training at this point as there are no other races that i can do to stay in shape...

having never done this race, or Paul's enduro, makes it more interesting...in your opinion, is this course hardtail friendly or light FS bike would be a better option.

thx

Oggie

It looks like its just me racing on Sunday. Without a babysitter to rush home for, I'm actually considering the 78 km marathon instead of the 35 km half (as an aside, I believe there needs to be another term for that - no more half-marathons, half-Ironmans etc.).

I do the 60 (closer to 56) at Paul's and have never really considered doing the 100 (partially because the West Forest isn't as much fun as the Central).

Those of you who are racing, are you all doing the 78, or are some doing the 35?
    Signature

icy
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Most of the course is hard tail friendly, there is a long fast downhill double track section where some suspension can be useful though. Its a great place to race some of the single track goes on forever.
    Last edited by icy; 07-04-2009 at 09:58 AM.

mtbr member
    I am going for 78km, rigid and singlespeed. I think it will be a great ride in preparation for the 8 HOUR EPIC. See you guys tomorrow. The weather looks great too.
    My rides:
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Family says do the "half".

sock puppet
    hmmm, sigh...

thought it'd be a 4ish hour race... turned to be 6 hours race... I lost 8 pounds today, though I drank over 3.5 liters of water... and I didn't even notice it until last 20 km, when I started to cramp pretty bad... Took a couple of bad spills, second of which bent the rear disc, leaving the rear will with substantial rub, as I couldn't fix it enough to avoid rubbing.

Boy, this was hard. On the way home I had to stop 4 times as I was not able to drive safely. Two of these breaks ended up with me throwing up my guts...

I limped back home as I limped over the finish line. Took blood pressure meter and whoa: 79 over 45. I thought one can not go that low without passing out... Anything I took to re-hydrate would upset my stomach so bad that I had to limit intake to small portions. Took me 3 hours of rest and easy drinking to bring the pressure back to 110 over 65.

The course: tough... not too technical but when you have to ride 78kms, out of which at least 60 were singletrack, I swear I started to hate singletrack with all my passion. Dehydration contributed to it, but this course was tough... Singletrack was tight, so tight that both my spills were handlebar-tree-clip related. Funny, on my second spill, another rider comes along after me and takes identical spill. He had same grips as I - ergons with horns... We laughed it out and continued, me with bent disc though...

I'd dare say that this race was tougher than any day at CTS for me. Admittedly, I did a hard ride yesterday as I approached this race as a training, but I got way more than I was prepared to handle...

Organization and course marking was very decent and camaraderie and etiquette among participants were top notch. Some top dogs were there today - racing.

I will definitely be better prepared for Mansfield race...

congrats to all finishers... it was a tough day for racing today...
    Signature

McB
    mtbr member
    Hey,

Osokolo, what bike did you ride for this epic type journey? Did you go with FS or the HT.. I couldn't imagine riding a HT for 78 kms. My back would be mush for a at least a couple of days.

It looks like your body took a beating. Stoping to puke is new one for me. I have felt very light headed after 7 laps at a 8 hour but never had to puke. Losing 8 lbs is pretty cool though.

I am curious at how well the race was organized...Was it equivalent to racing with Chico? It must have been pretty decent because it appears that you are doing the Mansfield race.. Perhaps, I will give that one a whirl.
    Rider Up,

Mike McB

"Over Thinking, Over Analyzing, Seperates the Mind from the Body" - Tool

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    I lost 8 pounds today, though I drank over 3.5 liters of water... and I didn't even notice it until last 20 km, when I started to cramp pretty bad... Took a couple of bad spills...Boy, this was hard. On the way home I had to stop 4 times as I was not able to drive safely. Two of these breaks ended up with me throwing up my guts...it was a tough day for racing today...
    Glad you're ok. It pretty insane that you went through that and a few hours later are looking forward to the next one. Congrats on getting across the line despite the problems. Of course when you out there and things go bad there is really nothing to do but keep following the trail.

I thought this was the easier of the three courses so far. Maybe because I've become better prepared and mentally had a better handle on things. The climbing was easier, not as steep. The long stretch of singletrack was tough but those double track descents were so fun. Everytime I got to the top of a tough climb I just kept thinking about getting to fly downhill. Of course when you get to the bottom....

About 4k in the smallest stick you've ever seen got jambed in my jockey wheels and caused my derailleur to go batty. The 10 minute repair put me in last by 2-3 minutes and the sweep almost caught up to me. It took me the next 25k to pass 10 people...then my chain broke. I got to watch 6 of those people ride by again. Fortunately one of them gave me his quick-link (thank you very, very much) and I got rolling again.

With the exception of stopping for the two mechanicals, I kept up a solid pace from beginning to end. I finished in about 5hr20min. about an hour, 15 from the winner. I guess my typical time gap in these races. I am really happy with the way I rode. The result may not be the greatest but my nutrition was almost perfect and my pace was steady. I guess I've learned something from the first two.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by McB
    I am curious at how well the race was organized...Was it equivalent to racing with Chico? It must have been pretty decent because it appears that you are doing the Mansfield race.. Perhaps, I will give that one a whirl.
    The race is well organized and they are great with the feed zones. Its a labor of love for Dan, the organizer but he doesn't get a lot of help. There has been the same 10-12 volunteers at each one. I know his father is one of them and I'm sure most of the others are family members as well.

Its obviously not up there with Chico as far as production value is concerned. This was his 3rd event and Chico does OCups and large events so their sponsorship and volunteer numbers are high.

Its basically pay your money, races an awesome course and have a good time. There is enough water and food to keep you going. There are no prizes unless you win and even then...

Some winners yesterday got a cookie, others lube or socks.

mtbr member
    Hey osokolo, sorry to hear that you had such a hard time. At least it sounds like you were not physically hurt in those spills, which is most important. And you finished, despite all that!

I also found the race very hard. It is not the singlespeed, but the rigid setup that generally pounds my body into oblivion. I feel like a truck ran over me this morning. But I have to admit that I loved all that singletrack. And I was fortunate to feel strong (no cramps at all) right through the race.

Although the course was well marked I still managed to screw up twice. The first time I somehow found myself behind 4 riders I passed earlier, but quickly passed them again. They all asked what happend but I could not explain how I managed that trick.

The second time, during the last 25km loop, I did not see any arrows for a long time and decided that I was lost. So I backtracked until I met a rider who assured me that I am on the right track. I stuck to him until we finally saw one arrow and then I was off. That was about 11km from the finish and I was so relieved to see that arrow, I had a huge surge of energy and hammered my way home. My computer showed that I went just under 81km and 5:11 hours (but my computer counts only ride time).

The only negative was that I ended up on the podium without deserving it. When I finished, Craig Barlow told me that he thought he came in third (SS), so I figured I was fourth. When they called my name for third, I assumed Craig was second. But when he was not called, I told Dan something must be wrong and told him about Craig, Dan laughed and said that sometimes mistakes are made and next thing I know they are shouting at me to smile for pictures. As much as I want a podium spot, it felt bad, and I still feel bad about it. I went to talk to Craig after (with Dan) and Craig was a gentleman about it.

But overall, it was a good day for me. Dan did a good job organizing the race and the camaraderie was great.
    My rides:
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    Pake French 75 track

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast