Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Mansfield Spring 8 Hour Epic Race

Hi everyone, I'm new into mountain biking, just finished Paris to Ancaster 70km last week, tons of fun.

I have also enter this event with a group of friends.

Any tips or advise to this course? What kind of training or preparation do is needed for this?

I ride a Trek Superfly 29er with racing raplh tires currently. Should I keep this setup of change it to small blocks tires at the front?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiuster View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm new into mountain biking, just finished Paris to Ancaster 70km last week, tons of fun.

Any tips or advise to this course? What kind of training or preparation do is needed for this?

I ride a Trek Superfly 29er with racing raplh tires currently. Should I keep this setup of change it to small blocks tires at the front?

- Mansfield is a fun place to ride. The course won't be too technically difficult given the wide range of abilities that come out for an 8 hour race.

- As for preparing/training. There isn't much that is going to increase your fitness before then. Best bet would be to continue riding like you are. Trying to get out on the MTB this weekend and simulate some racing (riding hills harder) is probably the best you can do.

- Racing Ralphs are a very good race tire for Mansfield and most places around Ontario. Many, many people ride them, myself including. So I'd keep them on.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by chiuster View Post

I agree with everything the Cpt. said. It's a fun day. There are riders of all levels and abilities there. The laps, depending on your fitness and ability, should take between 30 and 45 mins. Accordingly, on a 4 person team, everyone should get 3 laps.

A couple of other tips. There are two schools of thought about who to send out on the first lap. Some teams like to send their fastest rider out first so they can get out ahead of the pack and make some extra time on the competition. However, there is a lot to be said for saving the fastest rider to later in the rotation, as the field spreads out in the first couple of laps, such that they are less likely to encounter bottlenecks etc which might hold them up.

There is a long-ish grinder of a climb at the beginning of the lap. Not steep. Just goes on for a while. There is also a long false flat and a couple of twisty technical uphills towards the end. Save something for these. Otherwise, the course is fast, flowy and a lot of fun. RR's are a good choice - even it if rains, Mansfield is sandy and drains quickly.

On a 4 man team, you will likely have 90-120mins of downtime between laps. Bring fresh pairs of kit to change into, so you are not sitting around in the same soggy diaper-like shorts all day. When you get off your lap, change into non-bike gear. Change for your next lap.

IN terms of food, you are there all day and will need to eat. Make up sandwiches, pasta salad etc the night before so you can just grab stuff quickly between laps. ANd make sure you eat between laps.

Bring enough water. I don't think there is a potable water supply at Mansfield. One bottle per lap, and one bottle to drink for each interval between laps.

Don't forget the sunscreen, even if it is not warm. YOu will be outside all day. A sun umbrella or EZ-up and some lawn chairs is a good idea if you can fit it. ALso, if someone on the team has a workstand and tools, and a floor pump, this is a good call.

On the course, you will see riders who have a number plate on the back of their saddle as well as their bars. These are solo riders, who are spending the whole day on the bike. I will be one of them. You will likely be going faster than most of them, especially towards the end of the day. A lot of these riders will be tired and their bike handling skills may not be at 100% after a few hours in the saddle. Don't throw any sketchy passes on them. Race etiquette is to not expect them to stop, get off the trail and let you past. Personally, by 4pm, if I stop, I may not be able to get going again, but I will let you past as soon as I safely can if you let me know you are there and want to get by.

Also, remember what I said about this being a race for riders of all abilities. You will probably encounter a lot of relative novice riders on the course who are doing their first race. A first race can be intimidating. So again, be courteous when passing and let them know you want by. Thank them when you have passed.

That's all I can think of for now. Hopefully I'll see you on the course. I'm racing Solo Singlespeed (white Misfit 29er, black, orange and green kit, orange and white Catlike helmet). If you see me, push me up the nearest hill. I will probably need the help...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks for the good tips guys, I went to DF yesterday to do some pre ride training. Might do some more training in the Oakville area this weekend. I will give you a shout if i see you on the the course UNglued to thank you again.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Looking forward to the Epic this weekend. This will be my first.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I agree with everything the Cpt. said. It's a fun day. There are riders of all levels and abilities there. The laps, depending on your fitness and ability, should take between 30 and 45 mins. Accordingly, on a 4 person team, everyone should get 3 laps.

A couple of other tips. There are two schools of thought about who to send out on the first lap. Some teams like to send their fastest rider out first so they can get out ahead of the pack and make some extra time on the competition. However, there is a lot to be said for saving the fastest rider to later in the rotation, as the field spreads out in the first couple of laps, such that they are less likely to encounter bottlenecks etc which might hold them up.

There is a long-ish grinder of a climb at the beginning of the lap. Not steep. Just goes on for a while. There is also a long false flat and a couple of twisty technical uphills towards the end. Save something for these. Otherwise, the course is fast, flowy and a lot of fun. RR's are a good choice - even it if rains, Mansfield is sandy and drains quickly.

On a 4 man team, you will likely have 90-120mins of downtime between laps. Bring fresh pairs of kit to change into, so you are not sitting around in the same soggy diaper-like shorts all day. When you get off your lap, change into non-bike gear. Change for your next lap.

IN terms of food, you are there all day and will need to eat. Make up sandwiches, pasta salad etc the night before so you can just grab stuff quickly between laps. ANd make sure you eat between laps.

Bring enough water. I don't think there is a potable water supply at Mansfield. One bottle per lap, and one bottle to drink for each interval between laps.

Don't forget the sunscreen, even if it is not warm. YOu will be outside all day. A sun umbrella or EZ-up and some lawn chairs is a good idea if you can fit it. ALso, if someone on the team has a workstand and tools, and a floor pump, this is a good call.

On the course, you will see riders who have a number plate on the back of their saddle as well as their bars. These are solo riders, who are spending the whole day on the bike. I will be one of them. You will likely be going faster than most of them, especially towards the end of the day. A lot of these riders will be tired and their bike handling skills may not be at 100% after a few hours in the saddle. Don't throw any sketchy passes on them. Race etiquette is to not expect them to stop, get off the trail and let you past. Personally, by 4pm, if I stop, I may not be able to get going again, but I will let you past as soon as I safely can if you let me know you are there and want to get by.

Also, remember what I said about this being a race for riders of all abilities. You will probably encounter a lot of relative novice riders on the course who are doing their first race. A first race can be intimidating. So again, be courteous when passing and let them know you want by. Thank them when you have passed.

That's all I can think of for now. Hopefully I'll see you on the course. I'm racing Solo Singlespeed (white Misfit 29er, black, orange and green kit, orange and white Catlike helmet). If you see me, push me up the nearest hill. I will probably need the help...
    dude, this is so serious... can we make it a sticky?

Unglued for Prime Minister!

Maybe even for Mayor.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    dude, this is so serious... can we make it a sticky?

Unglued for Prime Minister!

Maybe even for Mayor.
    He'd have to change his name to "glue-sniffer".

mtbr member
    This will be my first solo attempt in a while. I will be riding a bike with gears thankfully but I am bringing my new misfit as a backup and also to know that no matter how bad I start feeling it could be worse on a single speed!

See you all this weekend. As unglued said if you see me (black and red rock and road kit, white scott scale) give me a shout and a push!!!
    "Go till I blow..... chunks"

mtbr member
    I was supposed to be doing tag-team but my partner is recovering from the flu (so am I but further along) and may be a no go. If that comes to fruition, I'll be in the solo boat as well. We'll see how that goes. I'll be riding a B&W Scott Spark or Grey Scott Scale , in a Rock and Road kit. Don't worry about mistaking me for misconceptionz, I'm way better looking.

mtbr member

It's true. You won't confuse us. There is more of the Cpt to see.... :-p

mtbr member

I shall make an appearance as well in the solo, single speed category to defend my title. Unfortunately it will be like Ukraine defending against Russia, but hey, I can pretend, no? :-)

Sent from iPhone with Tapatalk
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    I shall make an appearance as well in the solo, single speed category to defend my title. Unfortunately it will be like Ukraine defending against Russia, but hey, I can pretend, no? :-)

Sent from iPhone with Tapatalk
    Sandbagger!!!
    Strava made me do it....

All my faucets is Moen.
    I'm on a 4 person team. They will be my all time slowest 8hr laps. I'm so out of shape I'm not sure I can make it up the opening hill.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm on a 6 person team this year, always done 3/4 person in the past. Seems to lessen the anxiety leading up to the race knowing I'll likely only do 2 laps. I'll be on a black Misfit SS. Looking forward to the race, it's always a fun event, unless you're silly enough to do it solo on a single speed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Sandbagger!!!
    I wish I could be a sandbagged. I would embrace it thoroughly. :-)
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

I Strava Hamburgers
    Also in for 8 SSSolo sufferfest.

I'm not sure about the course though, but did they remove a second brutal climb after the false flat like last year? It looks like there's only the start climb.

I'm not familiar with the trail names and trails enough to know whats what in there?

Edumacate me plz!
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Also in for 8 SSSolo sufferfest.

I'm not sure about the course though, but did they remove a second brutal climb after the false flat like last year? It looks like there's only the start climb.

I'm not familiar with the trail names and trails enough to know whats what in there?

Edumacate me plz!
    I think the long false flat section, after the solo pit area will lead into some sharper up. The exit wound trail is new, built for last years OCUP (after the 8 hour) and drops some significant elevation quick (pretty much the top of the ridge to start level), so from the Solo pit area to the start of exit would will need to be some elevation gain.

mtbr member
    And I hope they leave the 'hard' line in Exit Wound. Fun stuff.

mtbr member

Some how I doubt the hard line will be in unless it's just an option.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Ahhhh, that wasn't the course they had up a few days ago, the one they had had us riding hemo ridge in reverse and had it pointing directly into Exit Wound. They had removed Chewbacca entirely... in which case, yes, double pain train climb.

Good god 8 hours, the hard line on Exit Wound will be a spectator's wet dream.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by misconceptionz View Post
    Some how I doubt the hard line will be in unless it's just an option.
    Yeah, I hoping the line is open as an option.

mtbr member
    That would be fantastic. Can't wait for Saturday.
    Anyone wanting to pop by for a beer, we will have a winnebago at the race, and the yellow tvg tent up... and beer in a cooler...
    see everyone out there!
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    I am in as well, solo SS, looking forward to seeing you good peoples. I will be riding a black misfit and silent sports jersey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyh83 View Post
    That would be fantastic. Can't wait for Saturday.
    Anyone wanting to pop by for a beer, we will have a winnebago at the race, and the yellow tvg tent up... and beer in a cooler...
    see everyone out there!
    I'll be in a small white trailer. Your empties will probably lead back to it!Thanks in advance

Lemmy Rules!
    I love races like this. A combination of a day on the bike and beers with friends afterwards is perfect and frankly, given the week I have, it could not have come at a better time
    Strava made me do it....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast