mtbr member

Lost in the Rocks and Trees

Has anyone done this race before or thinking of doing it this year? I'm thinking of doing the 112km and was looking for input from previous racers on how it is.

Lost in the Rocks and Trees | Ontario's Toughest Mountain Bike Race

Thanks

All my faucets is Moen.
    I've never done it myself but a friend goes camping near there and does it every year. He said its a great race, casual atmosphere and he loves it.

I imagine for him the race isn't that tough. He's won it 2 or 3 times.

mtbr member
    I'm missing the whole month of may to ride because of work so this would be my first race of the year but I'll be going for a finish not podium lol. I'm a little surprised that it's not well known considering it's suppose to be Ontario's toughest MTB race.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Do it!

Quote Originally Posted by zipperhead View Post
    I'm missing the whole month of may to ride because of work so this would be my first race of the year but I'll be going for a finish not podium lol. I'm a little surprised that it's not well known considering it's suppose to be Ontario's toughest MTB race.
    Raced a good number of years ago - it was fun, relaxed, and challenging. I would recommend it for sure. No repeat on trails, some killer climbs, and I remember at least one fairly deep river crossing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's being held in August, so you've got time to get some races in before this one...

Lemmy Rules!
    Tougher than Paul's Dirty Enduro 100k? Can anyone who is crazy enough to have done both comment?
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Thanks Bermuda I'm hearing nothing but good things about this race. I should have more then enough time to train just sucks that I'm loosing a whole month of riding Unglued i plan to do both of these races if work permits so I'll let you know which one is truly the most grueling race in Ontario lol.

Lemmy Rules!
    I've done Paul's 100k in 2011 on a rigid singlespeed. It was tough but a lot of fun. I'll be there again this year for sure...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    I'll most likely be the guy near the back cursing and hating life lol

mtbr member
    May 2012

Paul's versus Lost

Thanks Bermuda I'm hearing nothing but good things about this race. I should have more then enough time to train just sucks that I'm loosing a whole month of riding Unglued i plan to do both of these races if work permits so I'll let you know which one is truly the most grueling race in Ontario lol.
    I've done both races... again, going on ten years ago.

I would rate Paul's as tougher. Lost in the Rocks and Trees I would not hesitate too much before signing up - Paul's I would want to be even better trained and prepare significantly.

No. Just No. Moderator
    I should have more then enough time to train just sucks that I'm loosing a whole month of riding
    Riding a bike is morer funnerer, but there's tons of things you can do within much shorter daily time blocks that can contribute hugely to on-bike fitness and conditioning. Sometimes, having that forced upon us for a period of time can be a good thing to round out different aspects of fitness. Saddle time is the number one activity for anyone who wants to perform better in the saddle, but that's not to say other activities can't have a positive effect also.

mtbr member
    The month of may I'm in a field ex (army) standing in a turret all day long and working out will not be a top priority unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have done Pauls and it was tough...but Dan's 100miler (160km) may have been tougher...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I ride in the area a fair bit but have not done the race. The hills are big. Your granny gear will get a workout. There will be sand. Be ready for it. I have talked to several who have done the race and they said nothing but good things. It conflicts with another event for me.

mtbr member
    I'v never heard of Dan's 100miler, could you send me a link for it I'd like to check it out. I'm going ss this year so a granny isn't an option lol. What kind of tires do you recommend for your neck of the woods Raid?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It will be a real mixed bag of dirt. I run a Rocket Ron on the front and a Racing Ralph on the back and it seems to cover just about everything. I go tubeless because I changing flats. I would not go any less knobby than that though. I tend to run them firm for lower rolling resistance and put up with the loss of traction.