No. Nobody has ever done this race.

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    No. Nobody has ever done this race.
    Smartass

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    That is not a race ... it's the consequence of having no idea where you're going.

Chicken or egg? Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 2WD
    Smartass
    Always.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*

Lost in the Rocks and Trees Mountain Bike Enduro Race.

Lost in the Rocks and Trees Mountain Bike Enduro Race.
    http://www.lostintherocks.com/

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    What about it? Yes i have done it twice. Until the course is updated I will not return.

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Quote Originally Posted by rocks'r'friends
    What about it? Yes i have done it twice. Until the course is updated I will not return.
    Just curious - looking into the next racing season. Why will you not return? Is it that the trails are atv trails (from what I read on the description of the type of trails) and what I'm picturing in my head is that they are super rutted and chewed up??

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2WD
    Just curious - looking into the next racing season. Why will you not return? Is it that the trails are atv trails (from what I read on the description of the type of trails) and what I'm picturing in my head is that they are super rutted and chewed up??
    I've done it three times and I also won't go back until the course is improved. All three times it has been different:

The first time was from Mattawa to North Bay on mostly ATV trails. It was dry and a whole lot of fun. Not hugely thrilling trails, but the point to point format was exciting and the terrain wasn't particularly annoying or anything.

The second time was a similar course only it was really, really wet. Like submerged. I went through a freehub, middle chainring, chain, cassette, all cables/housing, two sets of brake pads... incredible. Still fun, but very expensive!

After that, they changed the course from a 100km point to point into a two loop 110km race around Mattawa. I did it this year and I think it kind of sucked. The course was 95% gravel ATV/logging roads with a few sections of unrideable mudbogs and pavement thrown in. The terrain is not stimulating in any way... and you get to ride it all twice for five hours. Joy. It was fairly dry this year but I still wore out a newish middle ring and a set of brakepads... and that's lubing the drivetrain at most checkpoints. You go from hub-deep bogs to sand constantly and it demolishes your bike and motivation.

The race is better in theory... and I won't go back until they come up with some actual trails to ride. I can't think of any worse surface to ride a bike on for five hours than sandy gravel. Maybe on a motorcycle...

mtbr member
    First year I raced Lost it was awesome, point to point, very challenging, wickedly muddy. Then they changed to the loop format for 05, massive amounts of sand, wide trails, absolutely terrible. Ruts were not the issue, it was the sand, the sand and the sand. A fellow racer stated it was the only time he had pushed his bike on flat ground and could not deal with the sand (he had just returned from 2 years in Africa). I wish I could support this race, as it is the closest race to home for me, but I can't. I did not do the race the last two years, but I will check it out if the format is changed.

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Quote Originally Posted by rocks'r'friends
    Ruts were not the issue, it was the sand, the sand and the sand.
    So... there was some sand?
    Well, that's good to know. I was thinking that it sounded like a pretty cool race, but I wasn't sure about the atv trails, because the ones around here are hellish on 2 wheels, so I couldn't really imagine what an entire ride would be like if they were anything like the ones around here (the ones incorporated in the L2L which is the only time I'm ever on trails that are affected by atv'ers).

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The race isnt all that bad. Lots of sand but i was able the pedal fine. The mud was incredible, mixed with sand thats something else. For like 75 bucks you get a tshirt. I finished 3rd in the 64k event and got nothing. Not a big deal if its 25 bucks but 75, and the winner picked up a rock with a glued bike part to it. Its a hard race if you push it, lots of rocky climbs. took my worst endo of the year there. A couple of teams were there getting ready for transrockies. Im doing it again next year with my bud to tune up for the chico stage race.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    This area heavily promotes ATV tourism, so I think thats a fact of life when it comes to the trail conditions.

http://www.vmuts.com/

Maybe you guys that won't return to race should make your feelings known to the organizers.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd
    This area heavily promotes ATV tourism, so I think thats a fact of life when it comes to the trail conditions.

http://www.vmuts.com/

Maybe you guys that won't return to race should make your feelings known to the organizers.
    As long as it was done in a positive manner.

Hey revrnd, do not misunderstand this. But considering the money any sort of tourism brings in, a once a year mtb event is probably less of a concern then Mattawa's Voyager Days festival.

I 'have' heard and read stories from some of the vict... participants how bad some sections are. Some of the reports going back to the days of Mattawa to North Bay, and even furtther back to the 200 km version of back and forth.

Frankly I would love to do this event, and would be happy to just complete the shorter distance regardless of trail conditions.

If anyone is not going to return then it might be more productive to suggest that the chronic areas see a single track detour for future editions.

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh (Canada)

If anyone is not going to return then it might be more productive to suggest that the chronic areas see a single track detour for future editions.

Stosh
    Yes, it's 1 thing to hold a MTB race, but the route should be conducive to MTB racing not ATVs or 4x4s. The organizers should be made aware that the course/route isn't suited to racing & unless changes are made, the event won't grow. People will try it once or else hear the negatives about it & pass on attending.

Are any of the organizers MTBers or are they locals that think MTBers would like to race the routes they've prepared? Sort of the "build it & they'll come" thinking.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd
    Are any of the organizers MTBers or are they locals that think MTBers would like to race the routes they've prepared? Sort of the "build it & they'll come" thinking.
    I vaguely remember that the guy that started was a racer, but is not involved anymore. Otherwise my understanding is that its a local community (grass roots) organised race. There are a lot of endurance events in the US that run on little to no single track (Leadville comes to mind 100 miles of dirt road, mountain vistas make an obvious difference though.)
    Maybe they figure MTB riders are looking for some sort of a sloging adventure during the ride.

But it should be easy to build and then string together 5-10+ km of singletrack each year even for a municipality with little to no disposable budget considering they are starting with a few hundred KM of double track to weave on and off of. It may just be a matter of the right kind of friendly advice.

Stosh

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh (Canada)
    Maybe they figure MTB riders are looking for some sort of a sloging adventure during the ride.
    X2

Their idea of "offroad" is probably different than the average racer.

A couple of years ago I tried to ride 1 of the "wilderness" XC ski trails of the Kawartha Nordic Ski Club. Maybe a great trail when it's frozen & 2 feet of snow, but my afternoon was more "hike a bike" than riding . Definitely not a MTB trail.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

banned
    Feb 2005
    It is not an easy thing to build 5-10 km each year, also if it is a go-a-round the area will be even tougher to work in. Too bad they do not have existing singletrack to pound out.

Looking for Adventure
    Guys, why beat yourself over the head about a race so far away and questionable. Get yourself together and do these marathon races instead !

http://www.substanceprojects.com/event.htm

Geeeeshhhhh !
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Guys, why beat yourself over the head about a race so far away and questionable.
    Geeeeshhhhh !
    Hey Ricksom considering the adventure race events that you and I like to do, I find your comment a little ironic.

But I see your point regarding a MTB race.

"LOST in the..." is on my list because I can build a family vacation around it with camping at the local provincial park and a boat load of canoeing on the Mattawa river. The old Ocup race at Elliot Lake was interesting as well for the same reasons, primo canoeing and Mississaggi Provincial Park close by as well.

Stosh