mtbr member

Local Fork Service? (bad 180 Marz Bomber)

Background: I have a 2008 Giant Glory 0 that I have roughly 50 (DH) days on. It has a Marzocchi Bomber RC3 fork. I have very little faith in the fork. The Rebound setting doesn't seem to do anything any more (knob spins forever, I believe it used to stop when fully cranked), the air valve doesn't work (you need to screw in the Marz. air adapter onto it, how ever the nipple spins continuously as you attempt to attach the adapter), note when I first noticed this I lost a lot of the existing pressure, and when this happens really dirty (metallic grey) oil came out.

A new fork is out of the budget. From what I've seen I'd be spending close to if not more than $1000..

I have been, since last fall, looking to find a used 180 fork to no avail. Have gotten close, but the head tube is always too small on prospective finds.

Are there any local fork experts (pro or not) that I might try send this to as a last ditch effort?

Thanks all

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Contact the guys at Tenneco Marzocchi service center in BC. I mailed my steerer/crown/stanchion assembly to them to get a new steerer. They were good guys and easy to deal with.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Thanks dru, email sent, let's see where this goes!

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_o View Post
    Thanks dru, email sent, let's see where this goes!
    i got a spare one i don't use, you can have it for free as a back up if you want.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills MPAC
    will build trail for rep... give a rep today...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Without having the fork in front of me it is hard to give input.

You say the fork won't hold air. Can you still put air in the fork? If so does it de pressurize when you unscrew the pump and adapter from the valve? Sometimes on the marzocchi air forks the valves to stop holding air. While it does look complicated all you are doing is replacing is the valve core. And most Marzocchi fork use a Shraeder valve core. The kit for that can be picked up at any Princess Auto.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    i got a spare one i don't use, you can have it for free as a back up if you want.
    What an amazing offer Chris thank you thank you thank you. I will pm you to get some details. If you are truly ok with parting it I will very happily pay you for it. I really am not expecting 'a free ride'.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Without having the fork in front of me it is hard to give input.

You say the fork won't hold air. Can you still put air in the fork? If so does it de pressurize when you unscrew the pump and adapter from the valve? Sometimes on the marzocchi air forks the valves to stop holding air. While it does look complicated all you are doing is replacing is the valve core. And most Marzocchi fork use a Shraeder valve core. The kit for that can be picked up at any Princess Auto.
    The air valve on this one is similar to a schraeder but a slightly different size, requiring the use of a Marzocchi 'air adapter' between the valve and a shock pump. This adapter needs to screw into the air valve, but the actual valve is loose, so when you try to attach it the valve just spins - in other words, there is n way to attach the adapter tight enough to pump air. Between discovering this, losing all pressure, and trying in vain to refill it is empty. I'm sure if this was replaceable the shock itself would hold pressure.

mtbr member
    Drew any chance you recall any contacts you dealt with there? I had emailed them and haven't gotten any response.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    No sorry, Greg. I kicked it old school and used the phone. I talked to two guys there and they were both super cool, but I have no idea about their names as that was 7 or 8 years back.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    So I ended up calling them and got the go ahead to send it in.

Must say it didn't seem like a priority for them (it was on site there for a couple weeks, was told a couple times over the phone "yeah we'll get to it today".. which didn't really happen the first few times they said that, however I am grateful that after a bit of time and about $100 I got it back fully serviced. (I did mention I wasn't in a huge rush as it was a while until DH season starts here)

Haven't ridden it yet but I assume it is 'good' lol as new. If this isn't the case I will update this thread with details (but I'm confident it is ok)