mtbr member

Live in Ajax? Want a Bike Park, XC Trails? Show up to this meeting then

I opened up my local paper recently to find out that the Town of Ajax is soliciting resident input on their new community centre. It will be built beside the Sportsplex site (near Taunton & Audley with the large baseball diamonds). The first phase is set to open in 2012.

Ajax being a rather open and forward thinking town likes to get input from its citizens. So they're holding two public meetings for residents to tell the town what they'd like to see.

You can probably guess where I'm going with this. I think it would be nice to see a progressive mountain bike skills park. In the veins of what Kitchener is building. This would be nicely complemented with a nice set of beginner to advanced XC mountain bike trails. Maybe they could hook into Greenwood CA in the future if mountain biker were to be permitted (which it currently is not).

The meetings details are:
    May 20, 7-9pm
    The Banquet Room
    McLean Community
    95 McGill Dr

OR

May 26, 7-9pm
    Town Hall Council Chambers
    65 Hardwood Ave S

(I'll be attending the May 26th meeting.)
    Jason Murray
    Rep for Ontario, IMBA Canada
    Visit the IMBA Canada site to keep current on all things IMBA in Canada.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    When did cycling get banned at greenwood?? I see riders there all the time I haven't even seen a sign prohibiting riding

Wish I could make the meetings, but some more trails in Ajax would be great!

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by was98strat
    When did cycling get banned at greenwood?? I see riders there all the time I haven't even seen a sign prohibiting riding
    X2

I rode there last summer & saw nothing prohibiting MTBing.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd
    X2

I rode there last summer & saw nothing prohibiting MTBing.
    Let's try to stay on topic, this thread is about a meeting with the Town of Ajax where you can have your say about what you'd like to see at their new community centre. I'm suggesting we show up and ask for a mountain bike skills park. This thread isn't about Greenwood and neither is the meeting.

But to clarify:

I have actually read the management plan for the property. Notwithstanding the lack of signage and enforcement mountain biking is indeed banned in Greewood CA. The wording in the management plan is pretty clear on this. The fact that Ajax, who are responsible for the management of the property, have not acted on it, is a different issue.

So when you ride there you are breaking the rules, and tarnishing mountain biking's image.

I've had a meeting with the TRCA and Ajax to reopen this topic. This was prompted by illegal building in Greenwood CA. Ajax doesn't have a problem but they are bound by the provisions in the management plan. And TRCA does have an issue with this. In fact they'd like no one at all on the trails in the SW of Greenwood. I don't have a problem with kicking everyone off, even though I do think it a bit short sighted given the development going on in and around there. I also think that with no enforcement, and no effort to actually close the trails, it will be difficult to keep users off them. But that isn't the issue at hand. I want to see somewhere in Greenwood CA that we can ride legally. The NE corner geographically looks like it might have potential, and it connects with the trails North of the 5th.
    Jason Murray
    Rep for Ontario, IMBA Canada
    Visit the IMBA Canada site to keep current on all things IMBA in Canada.