mtbr member
    Mar 2012

A little licence help please

I should be asking the OCA about this but in the past their answers have caused even more confusion.

I'm 32 and race elite/senior 4 in the road ontario cup series. The past couple days I've been thinking about doing some of the xc ocups starting with the try-an-ocup. But after looking at the series web site and the different catagories it looks like my age would make me a master but my licence says I'm an senior (at least for road).

So with my licence am I stuck doing the try-an-ocup xc races? Do they offer one day licences or would I have to purchase another licence if I wanted to race the masters 30-34 races.

This licensing system has always caused me grief

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loose_spoke View Post
    I should be asking the OCA about this but in the past their answers have caused even more confusion.

I'm 32 and race elite/senior 4 in the road ontario cup series. The past couple days I've been thinking about doing some of the xc ocups starting with the try-an-ocup. But after looking at the series web site and the different catagories it looks like my age would make me a master but my licence says I'm an senior (at least for road).

So with my licence am I stuck doing the try-an-ocup xc races? Do they offer one day licences or would I have to purchase another licence if I wanted to race the masters 30-34 races.

This licensing system has always caused me grief
    I too am in that 4th dimension know as the early 30's when it comes to road and MTB.

I race master in XC OCUP, but race Elite in Road and CX.

I presume you have a UCI license? If so, while you may not have filled the appropriate section for MTB (or anything), it will be valid for you to do 'Try-an-OCup' or 'Master Sport 30-34'. No need for another.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    as captain said 4th dimension of ontario masters road ability cats that came in a few years back.

Your national category would be master A(30-39), so at road nats and road provincials you'll be in the master A category since they are strictly aged based. (unless you have an elite1/2 license) Same for CX.

But for road o-cups the master 1/2/3 ability Category's don't begin till 35.

MTB has stuck closer to the national license age based system, so you would be master 30-34 as said above, but have sport and if able an option upgrade to expert... or come race Elite its fun I promise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the replies.

Try-An-OCUP and Masters sport it is. Let's just hope my 12 year old Rockhopper can make it through two or three races.