Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Life$tyle$!

Evil Jr.

Life$tyle$!

This weekend is the first big test of the year for a bunch of us MTBRers: the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous 24 Hour at Mansfield.

Mrs. Monster, nogears, nspace, THE Lepper and I are all doing solos and a bunch more (dskunk, oggie, tapsa, THE Leclair...) are on teams.

Personal goals:

1. 200 km or Bust!

2. Keep this industrious little ditty in my head all night:

Good luck everyone!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Do they play Baba O'Reilly as well?
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    I hope camp hillbilly is in some way shape or form worked into the course. That was like the diamond in the rough at 1 in the morning.

WHoo! Not prepared at all.

I suspect I shall bring out the suspension fork for this one, since it ever only sees the light of day for a couple days per year.

veldrijder
    You solos are a bit more nuts for doing this race than most 24h (early year, etc.)

Mixed team for me this year. Should be an awesome weekend

More than a little slow
    skunky's solo too.
    personal goals
    1. 201 km
    2. keep this song going.... if you're happy and you know it, spin yer cranks.
    3. Find wasp nest for Peetah (he screams like a little girl)

Maudite at the finishline
    Cheers, Dave

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk
    1. 201 km
    Oooh! Zing!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    I am going to use this song for pacing:

Gears, beers and slices..
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Personal goals:

1. 200 km or Bust!

2. Keep this industrious little ditty in my head all night:

Holy crap - that's the Napoleon Dynamite theme song!!!

"What are you going to do today Garage Monster?"

"Whatever I want! GOSH!!!"

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Woohoo!! I'm excited and yet totally unprepared!

Looks like we may have a carbon copy of last year's weather conditions. The night laps will be cold, must remember to bring tights this time..

Quote Originally Posted by Environment Canada

Saturday - Showers ending late in the morning then cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Clearing in the afternoon. Risk of a thunderstorm in the morning. Wind south 30 km/h gusting to 50 becoming west 30 gusting to 50 in the afternoon. High 17. UV index 5 or moderate.

Saturday night - Clear. Increasing cloudiness overnight. Wind west 30 km/h gusting to 50. Low minus 1.

Sunday - Cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. High 8.
    Jouko

More than a little slow
    Quote Originally Posted by tapsa
    , must remember to bring tights this time..
    You didn't need tights last year, you had the Macallans.
    Cheers, Dave

I Wanna Be Sedated
    The Macallans will be back this year, just let us know if you are feeling a little chilly on those late night solo laps and we'll offer you a wee sip at the transition area before you venture back into the woods...

Quote Originally Posted by dskunk
    You didn't need tights last year, you had the Macallans.
    Jouko

Evil Jr.
    If it rains, I'm gonna have to switch to this song:

If you know a little bit of Icelandic, it makes perfect sense.

veldrijder
    That was fantastic. Despite looking like it would be terrible, the weather worked out very well leaving the course in top condition for most of the race, and very ridable for the first few laps anyway. Very little mud

Did lots of laps... teammates did even more. 36 laps was good enough to take the mixed category, and then some

On the other hand, the bike is moderately trashed (broken saddle, chain in need of much cleaning and lubrication) and my body more than moderately trashed (fatigue + 2 crashes leaving large bruises and sore muscles).

All in all a great weekend. Time to use the holiday monday to recover a bit.

sock puppet

no doubt..

it was hard on us not so young racers to warm up so many times due to shorter laps... we would have preferred 14-15km laps, but it was what it was.. Fantastic course with lot of flow and a little bit of everything for everyone. Definitely required a complete rider...

we had a good battle in men category, but knew that our maximum achievement would have been the third, having so many elite (and younger) riders on the top two teams... some were just amazing - like John Van Aragon - a humble top notch guy who posted fastest times the last two years...

our own Skunky had an epic race and was a solo winner. Mr. Monster got chicked again, as Mrs Monster ended up winning womens solo category. Usual suspects were there - Mr. Lepper with smooth riding finishing solo category outing, as well as Tom and Peter - the Misfits...

It was really nice to have heated cabins to warm up after very cold night laps. Tenting would not have been comfortable at all... The organization was perfect - very warm and homey. Food was perfect as well as everything else. Coffee was unforgettable at 4am in the morning after a cooooold lap... Chocolate chip cookies were icing on the cake...

This race is different from all others. Familiar crowd year after year - all top notch people and good riders... Course was not crowded at all - allowing for some good rippin' down the trails. Mansfield offers one of the best trails in the area - no doubt.

I consider it a privilege to be able to race in this race. I look forward to racing it again next year.

Congrats too all podium finishers and everyone who raced at Mansfield this past weekend....

Mike, thanks for another Life$tyle$ - now you can not stop at 10...

Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    That was fantastic. Despite looking like it would be terrible, the weather worked out very well leaving the course in top condition for most of the race, and very ridable for the first few laps anyway. Very little mud

Did lots of laps... teammates did even more. 36 laps was good enough to take the mixed category, and then some

On the other hand, the bike is moderately trashed (broken saddle, chain in need of much cleaning and lubrication) and my body more than moderately trashed (fatigue + 2 crashes leaving large bruises and sore muscles).

All in all a great weekend. Time to use the holiday monday to recover a bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have to agree that the race was well organized and nice that it is a small group. I'm sure you would liek longer laps I appreciated the shorter ones doing solo. I have to laugh at the chicked thing again as two of us chicked a guy on the third lap. All I could think about was the chicked thread on here. Mrs Monster did great and beat me by 2 laps . I would ahve like to finsh with the same laps but like you said a little too cold that night. All in all being my first 24 hr solo attempt and only my second yr riding and being a not so young rider I am still happy with my accomplishment. Boddy isn't too happy with me today though. I hope that tree that crossed the path on me feels better soon too . Anyway I have to say doing a small race like that is a great way to meet people and having a great time. Hope they have another race next yr as I am hooked. Mansfield is a great place to ride and the cabins were a very nice touch. I sure wouldn't want to have had to camp in a tent.

A big Thanks to Mike, Natalie and the people that prepared the meals and served them and all the people that helped with the course and the timing and to anybody that just helped out. It wouldn't be possible without these people.

mtbr member
    Awesome course. I had a lot of fun. Riding solo illustrated how out of shape I am in terms of endurance, but I suppose it was good base km's for the season! It seemed like a lot less climbing, but after a while, constantly doing that opening grind, the course really snuck up on you.

I failed Peter, after we paced each other for 9 laps, when I became victim to a very sore ass, and a pair of very sore feet. I decided to head to the barracks for a warm shower. I was subsequently treated to some of Mr. Lepper's guacamole tortilla chips (SO GOOD!). I slept well and treated myself to a litre of chocolate milk for breakfast while I socialized in my pajamas. Finally I went back out to hammer out 2 more laps.

Dave Stowe is a machine. I don't know how in the world he rides 26 laps of that course and still smiles and makes jokes...and holy smokes at Dave having fun and cleaning oxygen debt after 7 laps on his SS just to mess with our heads!

Mrs. Monster...incredible work. You and Marc are an awesome team. Garage Monster cranking out laps all night once again!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You all are crazy!! As I lay snug in my bed on Saturday night, I was thinking of everyone out there riding their night laps.
    Wish this race would be at a warmer time of the year. I'd be in for sure.

Hope your a$$ is feeling better nspace! Know what that feels like! Yeowiiii!

Congrats Dave S. for kicking butt. Totally amazing!

Great job, Mrs. Monster! Can't wait to see how you and Mr. Monster do at the BCBR this year.
    High on Life

Evil Jr.
    Great success! I had 200 km in the bag even before I sat down for breakfast!

In the end, I did 23 laps (including 13 with Mrs. Monster) and ate all the meals (more challenging than it sounds). I passed out for 2 hours in the sun on back porch once we unloaded the car.

We did a quick 40 km road ride yesterday afternoon and other than some mild nerve damage in my left hand, I'm good to go.

Stowe was on fire and came away with a well deserved win in what turned out to be a very competitive solo field!

Great course, great people, great food! What more can you ask for?

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    I failed Peter, after we paced each other for 9 laps, when I became victim to a very sore ass
    i'm going to have to ask that you do not leave future statements (of such sensitivity) open to interpretation.

oggy has been emailing me all morning asking if we can ride together next year.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    i'm going to have to ask that you do not leave future statements (of such sensitivity) open to interpretation.

Mr Coffee, say hello to Mr. Keyboard...
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    LOL. I always leave the door open! Ooops! I did it again.

More than a little slow
    That was a lot lot like going for a ride with a bunch of super nice people who belong to the same club, a really good club. I had an awesome time. My wife, who spent most of her time hanging around the start/finish line, really enjoyed herself too, even though I didn't introduce her to Tapsa soon enough for her to start mooching sips of scotch (perhaps a wise move on my part since she was supposed to be pit crew)
    Mike was kinda vague about next year's Lifestyles, but does anyone have any info about the winter WOW? I'm looking forward to it.
    Cheers, Dave

sock puppet

i figured it'd be worth a try...

Tom has been raving about his experience.... I'd be happy with a mere inclussion to the waiting list. I have heard that singlesprocket is on the top of that list... whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with nerve damage to the hand. Not knowing who garage monster was until after the race I had to laugh at the chicked forum. The was two of us riding at the same pace and passed a guy on the third lap and all I could think of was your chicked thread and got a good laugh out of it. Although right as we were chicking the guy some guy had to go flying past us. Nevre saw him coming and didn't see him for very long. But it was good for a laugh anyway. Actually its funny finding out who is who after the race and once getting on line. seems you guys all know each other but since I am new I am slowely getting to meet people. Congrats Dave and it was really nice meeting your wife. It was also nice to get a chance to talk to Mrs Monster and hopefully next yr I can make it a little closer but I doubt that one.. I just wanted to have fun and mission was accomplished. Lets hope there is a race next yr.

mtbr member
    osokolo: Tom has been raving about his experience.... I'd be happy with a mere inclussion to the waiting list

At least you have hope. At the Mansfield O-Cup Peter was riding behind me for almost 2 laps and never touched me. What's up with that?
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast