Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    All my faucets is Moen.
    Reputation: thedumbopinion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,293

    Liberty! Good Bye Squeezer

    This is it. Party weekend at Liberty! Bicycles. It starts on Saturday Night, 24 September, from 8pm to Midnight. We are hosting a get-together at our Bond Street facility. There will be T-shirts, music, refreshments, special guests, a Trials Demo, a Bike Polo Demo, draw prizes, and a whopping 4-Hour Sale. [More stuff, too, but it's still a secret.]

    Part 2 happens on Sunday 25 September at 11am. It's a Group Ride. The point? To send a message to our friends at the City and the Niagara Wine Festival. We need to tell them that cycling matters; that cyclists deserve better; that people deserve better; and, that we loved what the Liberty! Bicycles Off-Road Squeezer meant to the cycling community in Ontario. It was a good time; It was good for the City; And, it was a lot of fun. It's a pretty simple concept. But, we need your support. We need you and your friends to come and ride with us. The more, the merrier. Help us spread the word and get cyclists involved. Join the ride.

    We hope to see you at the Squeezer's Goodbye Party and Group Ride. If you need more infomation about the weekend's events, please contact us at Liberty! Bicycles. You can call 905-682-1454 or email info@libertybicycles.com. You can also check out our Facebook to join the conversation

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    27
    Liberty.... Is that like a bike store or something? I love the devil

  3. #3
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,121
    Quote Originally Posted by thebrooder View Post
    Liberty.... Is that like a bike store or something?
    Yeah. It's a bicycle shop.

    Liberty! Bicycles Gateway
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    845
    Here's what we're missing....

    Squeezer the Movie: 2010 - YouTube

    Some of the comments about the festival, the city, etc seem ironic, almost poignant now....

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    50
    Will be there. Too bad we lost the best race in Niagara!
    Eric

  6. #6
    All my faucets is Moen.
    Reputation: thedumbopinion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2 View Post
    Here's what we're missing....
    I couldn't make it through the whole video. Had to stop at the 3 min mark. Its to heartbreaking.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kgwisdek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    148

    Party Timetable and Sale Pricing Released

    Here are the details about the L!B Goodbye Squeezer Weekend:
    Liberty! Bicycles Goodbye Squeezer!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: akura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    277
    Maybe there will be an annual 'Goodbye Squeezer' ride?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    496

    Listen! awesome Ride Today!!

    An epic group ride today, weather and trail conditions were excellent, a mix of some old squeezer route, plus doing some of the course in reverse, and a nice climb up hydro hill to warm those legs up! Figure at least 150 riders showed up today!


  10. #10
    All my faucets is Moen.
    Reputation: thedumbopinion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,293
    Yup. Lots of fun today.
    Started with a little critical mass in the downtown then we rode the classic Squeezer route (backwards from previous year).

    With such a large crowd it was great to ride with a few different groups and talk with soooo many people. Definately a cool day.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ol-crank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    580

    what a great ride.. Having raced the last 12 squeezers

    I was sad to hear the news that this year was cancelled. I hope that Kurt can get the Festival organizers on board and next year we continue.
    We sat and had a couple of glasses of wine and listined to the mandolin orchestra , ya you got it a mandolin orchestra, and enjoyed the hot sun, just like many squeezers past, and drove home a little quiet.
    Still it was a great ride.

  12. #12
    All my faucets is Moen.
    Reputation: thedumbopinion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,293
    It was great to see that the race couldn't go into the park because they needed room to add a bouncy castle and climbing wall in that corner.

  13. #13
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    It was great to see that the race couldn't go into the park because they needed room to add a bouncy castle and climbing wall in that corner.
    Seriously? All this drama and that's the best they could come up with for that space? OMG!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  14. #14
    All my faucets is Moen.
    Reputation: thedumbopinion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Seriously? All this drama and that's the best they could come up with for that space? OMG!
    Especially since so many kids attend the wine festival.
    I guess parents need a place to stick their kids while they go get blitzed.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CRTV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12
    Let's hope that they can come up with a resolution for the 2012 version. I miss the squeezer!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ol-crank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    580

    maybe the parking lot at the finish line would be enough

    for registration, and the start would be just up the street from before. The bike corral could end up in some parking lot close by, and we could still end up at the park for the wine, sun, walter osterwhatever and his polka band, but I don;t know where we could have the awards, unless back in the parking lot. I hope they bring back the free beer trailer from last year.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    for registration, and the start would be just up the street from before. The bike corral could end up in some parking lot close by, and we could still end up at the park for the wine, sun, walter osterwhatever and his polka band, but I don;t know where we could have the awards, unless back in the parking lot. I hope they bring back the free beer trailer from last year.
    mmmmmmmm....free beer....

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    50
    Sounds like mayor of St. Catharines cares about road cycling. They are welcoming the centurion race to niagara next summer. Mountain biking needs that support.

    "Centurion Cycling has been enthusiastically welcomed by the city of St. Catharines, Twenty Valley, Brock University, the Niagara Sports Commission along with both the Grape Growers and Wine Council of Ontario. “St. Catharines welcomes the opportunity to partner with Centurion and host this high-calibre sporting event,” said Mayor Brian McMullan. “Centurion Niagara will have passionate novice, intermediate and competitive cyclists exploring some of the breathtaking landscapes in this region. This event will also support local charities while showcasing our wineries and restaurants.”

  19. #19
    Looking for Adventure
    Reputation: Ricksom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,053
    Quote Originally Posted by neuf View Post
    Sounds like mayor of St. Catharines cares about road cycling. They are welcoming the centurion race to niagara next summer. Mountain biking needs that support.

    "Centurion Cycling has been enthusiastically welcomed by the city of St. Catharines, Twenty Valley, Brock University, the Niagara Sports Commission along with both the Grape Growers and Wine Council of Ontario. “St. Catharines welcomes the opportunity to partner with Centurion and host this high-calibre sporting event,” said Mayor Brian McMullan. “Centurion Niagara will have passionate novice, intermediate and competitive cyclists exploring some of the breathtaking landscapes in this region. This event will also support local charities while showcasing our wineries and restaurants.”
    Well, the numbers do show that mountain biking is on the decline, while road cycling is on the rise. Plus, road cyclists tend to display a higher disposable income while mountain bikers are becoming known as cheap bastards who don't even pay for trail usage.

    We did it to ourselves I am afraid...
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    27
    I had a camera mounted to my fork for the goodbye squeezer ride. $10 ebay camera so not the best, but I like it. Most of the video is the Montebello loops, because that's what the ride was about.

    unofficial liberty! squeezer ride 2011 - YouTube

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kgwisdek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    148

    Goodbye Squeezer Party/Ride Success

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom View Post
    Well, the numbers do show that mountain biking is on the decline, while road cycling is on the rise. Plus, road cyclists tend to display a higher disposable income while mountain bikers are becoming known as cheap bastards who don't even pay for trail usage.

    We did it to ourselves I am afraid...
    This is not really true, of course. Cyclists are cyclists, and are just people... with bikes. You can't blame cyclists for the loss of the Squeezer.
    This situation only happened because of the inflexibility of a short-sighted organization; an organization which proved incapable of making a smart, community-based decision. I say proved because as the mass of cyclists rode in solidarity around Montebello Park in Downtown St.Catharines, we all discovered that the reason why upwards of 2000 spectators and participants were refused access to a sliver of green-space for four hours on the the final day of a festival: A jumpy-castle and portable rock-climbing tower took priority over us. I am not certain they were even anti-cyclist. They just made a really dumb decision, would not negotiate, and would not back-away from it.
    I am happy that we drew a line in the sand. I am proud that the cycling community supported the cause. The Goodbye Squeezer Party and Ride was a hugely successful weekend. I'm glad people had a good time, and had a chance to have some closure on our event. And if all this means we need to create an alternate event and work with a different group so be it. We will make it great. Maybe they will begin to understand the value of cycling and what it brings to the community.
    I want to personally thank everyone who stood and rode with us. You made a difference.
    Yours,
    Kurt Gwisdek

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pikester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    142
    Dear Liberty Cycles - the race was not the park, it was the organization and those special trails we ride/rode.

    You gotta bring it back next year!

    Signed,

    Squeezer Fan

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,939
    The ride was great. If there's no race next year (I'm sure there will be) let's do a group ride again.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kgwisdek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by pikester View Post
    the race was not the park, it was the organization and those special trails we ride/rode.
    Would it still be the same race if we started and finished in a parking lot outside of town? I don't think so. It would be a different sort of race, and that would be okay. The point is that the Squeezer was unique because it was not just a race. It was a race within a party, or festival, actually. We always called it a Mega-Fest. It had location and history. That's what made it different and great. We can organize a race anywhere -- and we have and will again -- but we can't organize the Squeezer anywhere. So, as far as I am concerned, no park-space = no Squeezer. KG

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ol-crank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    580

    I guess coming home sunday we were wishful, I mean

    Quote Originally Posted by kgwisdek View Post
    Would it still be the same race if we started and finished in a parking lot outside of town? I don't think so. It would be a different sort of race, and that would be okay. The point is that the Squeezer was unique because it was not just a race. It was a race within a party, or festival, actually. We always called it a Mega-Fest. It had location and history. That's what made it different and great. We can organize a race anywhere -- and we have and will again -- but we can't organize the Squeezer anywhere. So, as far as I am concerned, no park-space = no Squeezer. KG
    that next year we would race the squeezer and then spend the next 3-4 hours celebrating life in the park like before. We were thinking of ways that you might make it happen. I agree that each step to remove it from the existing formula lessens the event. It is only the Squeezer if it is the Squeezer.
    Keeping our fingers crossed.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom View Post
    Well, the numbers do show that mountain biking is on the decline, while road cycling is on the rise. Plus, road cyclists tend to display a higher disposable income while mountain bikers are becoming known as cheap bastards who don't even pay for trail usage.

    We did it to ourselves I am afraid...
    I believe what Ricksom said. I see a lot of people switching to road only these days. I don't ever see mountain biking appealing to the masses.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,939
    I see kids that are getting into road, cross and mtn.biking but more and more adults are tired of road racing/riding crashes and are doing more mtn.biking.

  28. #28
    All my faucets is Moen.
    Reputation: thedumbopinion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,293
    That's funny, I was going to say that the kids I see are more into mountain biking because road is to boring. And the youth OCup numbers seem much higher on the MTB scene. Although I didn’t look it up to confirm.

    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    I see kids that are getting into road, cross and mtn.biking but more and more adults are tired of road racing/riding crashes and are doing more mtn.biking.

  29. #29
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    At least three "pure roadie" friends of mine got their first MTBs this year. I probably know as many MTBers that got their first "really real" road or 'cross bikes this year.

    We're all just riders - no need to draw lines.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,939
    Yup. It's all good. Ride whatever bike you have and have fun.

  31. #31
    Looking for Adventure
    Reputation: Ricksom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,053
    Quote Originally Posted by stormbringer View Post
    I believe what Ricksom said. I see a lot of people switching to road only these days. I don't ever see mountain biking appealing to the masses.
    Well, almost all new events these days are road cycling events, and they gather large crowds. Ride to Conquer Cancer is a very prime example.
    Bike shops are switching to road cycling focus, as they are unable to make it a go with mountain biking.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    17
    People are limited with time and it's just typically easier to go for a road ride. Mountain biking also tends to cost more and is expensive for younger people who don't have money to spend on a good bike. I don't see nearly as many kids racing as there were 15 years ago. What is mountain biking anyhow? We build bikes that so we can ride over roots easily and not feel them.

  33. #33
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by stormbringer View Post
    Mountain biking also tends to cost more and is expensive for younger people who don't have money to spend on a good bike.
    Are entry level road bikes cheaper than the equivalent MTBs?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    17
    If you look for last year's models, you can spend $800-$1000 and get a half decent road bike. To get something in a full suspension you need to spend at least $1500. That's a big difference for somebody who is just getting in to cycling.

  35. #35
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    I'd argue that an 80lb kid would be way better off on a hardtail anyhow. It would be really tricky to even set the sag for most kids!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  36. #36
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,121
    Quote Originally Posted by stormbringer View Post
    If you look for last year's models, you can spend $800-$1000 and get a half decent road bike. To get something in a full suspension you need to spend at least $1500. That's a big difference for somebody who is just getting in to cycling.
    When you walk into a bike shop, you don't typically see road bikes, or anything that resembles one (drop bars, <28c tires) for less than $750. If you want a mountain bike, or something that resembles one (suspension fork, knobby tires) you can usually go down to $400.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    17
    I've been on those $400 bikes. They aren't very enjoyable to ride.
    Anyhow, mountain bike numbers seem to be down and road bike numbers up. I do both and enjoy both but I don't see mountain bike growing anytime soon.

  38. #38
    Ms. Monster
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,812
    Quote Originally Posted by stormbringer View Post
    Anyhow, mountain bike numbers seem to be down and road bike numbers up.
    Not from when I was a kid and the height of cool was having a ten-speed. If you do a random survey of all the bikes locked up on any given university campus, at least 90% of them are mountain bikes. I'm not saying they're awesome fun to ride or see much dirt, but road bikes, they ain't.

  39. #39
    Looking for Adventure
    Reputation: Ricksom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Not from when I was a kid and the height of cool was having a ten-speed. If you do a random survey of all the bikes locked up on any given university campus, at least 90% of them are mountain bikes. I'm not saying they're awesome fun to ride or see much dirt, but road bikes, they ain't.
    I bet many of them are used bike purchases.

    Not sure what is happening in the hinterland, but here in Toronto road and road "cruiser" bikes rule. In the heart of the city, where many young folks in their 20's live and work, owning a bike is mandatory since they cannot afford a car. You should see how many bikes flow along the central city area, including on late Friday and Saturday nights.

    Major Ford is a moron to not recognize this, and will probably disappear one day as these people vote to kick him out!
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

Similar Threads

  1. Liberty! Bicycles Off-Road Squeezer 2010 edition
    By McGyver29er in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 10-29-2010, 05:48 PM
  2. 2009 Liberty! Bicycles Off-Road Squeezer
    By kgwisdek in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 109
    Last Post: 10-04-2009, 06:55 PM
  3. Squeezer run-through Sat. Sept 20
    By mck.brad in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 12:54 PM
  4. Squeezer Race
    By norm in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-29-2005, 06:08 AM
  5. squeezer
    By skinnydipp in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 04:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •