Single speed

Liberty Bikes Fire

Hey All,

I hear devastating word through the grapevine of a fire at L!berty Bikes in St.Catharines.

I'm at work so I don't know the details.

But it sounds like bad news for a great local Cycling icon.

I hope for the best of a bad situation. Looking to help support the shop in such a troubling situation.

Anyone know any details?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

mtbr member
    NOTICE to Customers: There has been a major fire in the building attached (next door) to Liberty! Bicycles. The shop has also been affected and has incurred some fire and water damage. Fortunately, no injuries have been reported. But, Fire Crews have sealed off the area. If you have a bike in for repair, or have a bike or item on hold, please be patient with us while we sort out this situation. As always, we will take care of our customers first and foremost. That includes your bikes and products. Please bear with us. We will update this site as we get more information. Thank you all for your kindness and support. The shop is closed until further notice.

mtbr member
    I talked to Ben Lyon today and he said there's definitely water and smoke damage in the shop, but it sounds like (thankfully) the fire department was able to get things under control before the major damage hit Liberty. However, the shop will be closed for a bit while everything gets worked out.

I think I speak for everyone in the Niagara cycling community when I say to Kurt and his fantastic crew - best of luck and keep your heads up. Liberty! will continue to be the best bike shop in Niagara.
    Dan
    Ontario, Canada

2007 Cannondale Scalpel 1
    2005 Cannondale Rush 1000
    2004 Cannondale Chase

Single speed

Whew!

Boy am I ever glad to hear that the building is still standing and nobody got hurt.

All I could picture when I heard the news, was smoldering timbers. Just like Duke's cycle. I had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Cycling in Niagara wouldn't be the same without a great LBS like L!berty!

I hope everything is returned back to normal so the gang at L!berty can get back to their awesomeness!

Now I get to practice some patience and not be too selfish. As I was waiting for delivery of my new CX whip!

Not worried about the delay though. No big deal compared the gang at L!B problems. Just hope for the best for them, and a speedy recovery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Wow, this is news to me. Glad the store and everyone that works there is ok. I just bought some gloves and bottles there. Hopefully everything works out fine for them.
    McGyver, congrats on the new bike. Give us a review when you've had it for awhile.

dirt roadie
    That's terrible news, sorry to hear.
    Hope the damages to the shop, inventory, and the remainder of the building are not extreme, and everything works out well to return to normal operation soon.

Best wishes to Liberty! Bicycles and the crew.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by McGyver29er
    Boy am I ever glad to hear that the building is still standing and nobody got hurt.

All I could picture when I heard the news, was smoldering timbers. Just like Duke's cycle. I had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.
    Fortunately, Liberty!'s fate was not nearly as bad as Duke's. In time, they will recover and continue to serve St. Catharines and the surrounding area.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club