mtbr member

Listen! Is Lake to Lake running this year?

Is the Lake to Lake running this year ??

mtbr member
    Is the Lake to Lake 29'r a go this year ??

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    No official word from what their website states. The race has been getting smaller and smaller every year.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm trying to remain hopeful that it's a go.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Usually they have registration open at this time. So I'm guessing no.
    The OCA calendar has it listed as an event located in Hamilton. Not sure where that came from.

Personally I think its the worst MTB event on the schedule. It was $70 last year and the race was a 25km gravel road & road race.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Spend your $70 on a better race.

After last years mess over land use permission I would be surprised if this race goes and if it does you can expect more road and less actual trail.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Well guess that answers that :-(

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Since it got shorter it wasn't worth it for me so I stopped going after Tims dropped out of it.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Got some intel about the "Hamilton" venue for this...from what I heard (friend of a friend kind of stuff, who knows if it's totally factual) organizers disregarded a riding ban by Shorthills Park Authorities due to the muddy (dangerous) trail conditions on race day last year. Because of that, I'm pretty sure they would be banned for life from running the L2L through the Shorthills.

That aside, I think it would be great to have a race closer to (my) home. With this in mind, any speculation on a Hamilton venue? Dundas Valley? Christie Lake? Red Hill Valley?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by george_liquor View Post
    Got some intel about the "Hamilton" venue for this...from what I heard (friend of a friend kind of stuff, who knows if it's totally factual) organizers disregarded a riding ban by Shorthills Park Authorities due to the muddy (dangerous) trail conditions on race day last year. Because of that, I'm pretty sure they would be banned for life from running the L2L through the Shorthills.

That aside, I think it would be great to have a race closer to (my) home. With this in mind, any speculation on a Hamilton venue? Dundas Valley? Christie Lake? Red Hill Valley?
    The first part, based on the rumor mill is correct.

I was curious about the whole 'Hamilton' thing as well. A team mate contacted the organizers and they said it was in St. Catherines again (but as people have posted, good chance it will have a different flair).

But speculation is very fun......If/when MTB racing shows up in Hamilton, I doubt it will be anywhere but Christie (and not saying that is going to happen soon). Christie has already opened it's doors to CX racing and has the only legally open singletrack in the area. Dundas valley has no singletrack (yes, it has illegal singletrack). On the 'big-ass night ride' that went down in the fall, hosted in conjunction with the Hamilton Conservation Authority (HCA), the route was 100% posted and marked trails (gravel/double track). Ride leaders ensuring that (and totally understandable). P2A doesn't even go through Dundas Valley, and I'm would guess they have approached the HCA and wouldn't have turn down the opportunity to do a couple extra km in there if it was a possibility. If approached for any type of MTB race, I'm sure they would direct people to Christie, with at least consultation from The Hamilton Cycling Club to see if the trails were ready yet. Red Hill Valley. That's city property if I recall correctly and a pretty unmanaged set of impromptu trails (and not really much singletrack). Since it's not really a maintained area, legally probably a nightmare to suggest a bike race go through there. Can't image the land owner would ever consider it. Not to mention I couldn't come up with a descent route through there, nothing I'd pay to race. Everything in there is pretty much and out and back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Looks like it is, look at the first post on their facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/LaketoLake29er

Somewhat surprising, thought it wouldn't happen this year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    If/when MTB racing shows up in Hamilton, I doubt it will be anywhere but Christie (and not saying that is going to happen soon). Christie has already opened it's doors to CX racing and has the only legally open singletrack in the area. Dundas valley has no singletrack.
    Off topic, I have vague memories of taking part in a MTB race in Dundas Valley back in the mid to late 80's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So I take its on 29km now? Last time I did it it was still 50km ride. Why is it so short now?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Off topic, I have vague memories of taking part in a MTB race in Dundas Valley back in the mid to late 80's.
    Cool, I can't see it happening now a days, though you never know. I'd rather see a CX race in there (or would love to see P2A do a loop through headwaters).

Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    So I take its on 29km now? Last time I did it it was still 50km ride. Why is it so short now?
    From what is sounds like, land access. Running that race from Port Colborne to Port Dalhousie required permission from many land owners. Sounded like that was getting very difficult to manage. The 29er deals with far less.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    I'd rather see a CX race in there (or would love to see P2A do a loop through headwaters).
    Oh that would be nasty. Near the end, tired and trying to dodge roots and rocks at speed with CX tires, that downhill on skinny tires, knowing that Martin Hill is still to come. Be so easy to add, we cross the Headwaters loop. Be an easy way to add miles and it's a fairly remote part of the trail system.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear something is still on there.

Back when it was 50k in full heat I used to consider it an annual physical - if I survived I got to live another year because I wouldn't do anything tougher until the next L2L came around. First year I raced it had 1400 - where did everyone go.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    I'll believe it when I see registration open.

As for Short Hills Park and the land it manages (Jacksons Flats, Morningstar Mill) I've heard a lifetime ban was issued after last year's mess.

Not only were they told not to use the Parks Property but Park Staff found out about their "trespassing " when there was a medical evacuation of an injured rider involving EMS and Park Staff.

Seeing that this is an OCA sanctioned race did this trespassing void their insurance agreement?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PUBCRAWL; 02-27-2014 at 04:35 AM.

Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by george_liquor View Post

I do now!
    Best hurry and register, its capped at 1000 entries.

Hunter S. Thompson