Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Ktraks have ARRIVED at Albion Hills!

He have had a lot of people asking when the ktraks will be coming to Albion. I just got an email from Caledon Hills Cycling, the KTRAKS have shipped from BC today and will be here shortly!

Please note the initial order is limited in numbers, We are very excited about this new way for mountain bikers to enjoy our park during the winter!

http://www.ktrakcycle.com/

Last edited by Canuck_2005; 01-29-2010 at 03:36 PM.

sock puppet

winter tuesday night race series??

c'mon Chico... It'd be a sellout...

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck_2005
    He have had a lot of people asking when the ktraks will be coming to Albion. I just got an email from Caledon Hills Cycling, the KTRAKS have shipped from BC today and will be here shortly!

Please note the initial order is limited in numbers, We are very excited about this new way for mountain bikers to enjoy our park during the winter!

http://www.ktrakcycle.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Saw these guys son the Dragon's Den show a while back, looks like tons of fun...any demo days planned?
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

max_29
    Bring a few dozens of those here and you’ve got a mid-winter O-Cup

mtbr member
    There are some real world reports in some of the other forums that reported that they were not that great for XC...who knows. Would be interesting to give them a go. They did an update on the Dragon's Den recently. They moved their production overseas and are doing fine with other investors after they didn't make a deal on the show.

humber river advocate
    what's up with the front dics brake? if you got that bike with the order you made out ok.

i watched that show on dragens den... they made a wise choice. now i only have my grade ten machine shop so i'm not an engineer by any means, but i do tinker. there's a couple of issues with the design that raise red flags. the first of which is the belt system (track). a rib belt system is the most sensitive to contamination. if you get snow packing up and freezing in the drive/idler pulley your screwed. the second problem is rib belts need precise alignment/tension to operate efficiently. the above problem will play a role as well as the quality of materials and bearings (roller bushing). that belt will want to wander from side to side causing friction and getting worse with wear of the system as a whole. now if you solved those problems get a friggin patent cause i haven't seen a system that offers those solutions (other then v or chain belts)

lastly, having the belt unsupported between the drive and idler pulley really does not do much. the use is the same in principle as a compression conveyor. you are better off either adding tef glide plates, more idler pulleys or shorten the distance (best since you are not adding any more friction).

the wild card in the whole design is the (though not the right term but pertinent in principle) service factor. will it be enough to excede the deficiencies? i guess we will find out in a year or two...

which brings me to the best rideable snow bike i've ever seen. it had a ski between the front and rear wheels which was height adjustable. you could adjust for different snow conditions or bring it high enough out of the way to ride on the road.
    i must say i'm tempted to build a replica of that bike...
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Chris you make some solid points about the design but more importantly than that, the market for something like this is tiny. It's a super-niche really and I think the Dragons realized that while the idea is interesting there just isn't any money in it...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The fact that they have come out with a cross-country version suggests the original concept as a downhill rig at a lift area didn't take off...? I like the cross-country concept better though. Going downhill on snow is best done on skis or snowboards; the bike doesn't add anything there. Cross-country is a whole different matter though. I'm thinking snowmobile trails which are too rough for track skis and too boring for off-track skis. There may be some extra friction in that drive train, and I'm sure there are a few design flaws that can be addressed in time, but the concept is great. Is it patented by the way?

humber river advocate
    yes, how true. you would have to move a lot of units, though the warranty issues would be a pain also.

it is interesting what another company came up with, though the powered design is not really new.
    http://www.mattrackspowerboards.com/...oduct_info.htm
    Support TORBA

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay.
    I'm thinking snowmobile trails which are too rough for track skis and too boring for off-track skis.
    I wouldn't go anywhere near a snowmobile trail on a bike or skis. I've been on and around enough snowmobiles to know that's a losing proposition.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    I wouldn't go anywhere near a snowmobile trail on a bike or skis. I've been on and around enough snowmobiles to know that's a losing proposition.
    yeah, very dangerous... it's up there with cycling on highway 50...

by the way here's the concept of the center ski's though i haven't made up my mind if one or two are more useful.

Support TORBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    I used to ski the snowmobile trails all the time. Used to take my dog on them with me.
    He would pull me along as he was a Husky/Wolf mix and loved to pull! I never had any problems with the snowmobilers.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay.
    The fact that they have come out with a cross-country version suggests the original concept as a downhill rig at a lift area didn't take off...? I like the cross-country concept better though. Going downhill on snow is best done on skis or snowboards; the bike doesn't add anything there. Cross-country is a whole different matter though. I'm thinking snowmobile trails which are too rough for track skis and too boring for off-track skis. There may be some extra friction in that drive train, and I'm sure there are a few design flaws that can be addressed in time, but the concept is great. Is it patented by the way?
    There was a DH design, it came about around 1999. It mounted to the fork only. The ad for it was filmed at Silver star.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'd just buy some skis/snowboard and find a better use for the remaining $4500...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

Self-defeatist
    This came up on the Fat Bike forum recently:
    K Trak vs. Fat Bike

I haven't tried a K Trak, but most reveiews seem to brush it off as a gadget rather than a tool.

Read the reviews on this site, Pugsleys have a higher overall rating and several owners ride them year round. Most people brush them off due to the large tires, but they weigh as much as DH tires (less, actually), not car tires. Pugsleys and their Endomorph-shod-ilk are well accpeted in the US Rockies and in Alaska. Those people know snow as well as any Canadian.

I don't have a horse in this race but I'm a new Pug owner, and I know I'm having a blast this winter. My only problem so far is that we don't have enough snow! If you can't abide spending all winter on a trainer and don't/can't/would-rather-not enjoy other winter sports you will not ever regret buying a Pug. On the other hand there are a few regretful KTrak owners in the thread above who now ride fat bikes.
    I'm covered in beer.

humber river advocate
    yup, a fat tire bike with a rohloff is on my wish list for winter riding. though would like to see studded tires for it.
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Ktraks have arrived!

The ktraks kits have arrived! I went and picked up the units from Caledon Hills Cycling this afternoon. We are still awaiting the front skiis but we built one kit and took it for a test! I must say it was a lot of fun, we were able to ride up the hard packed hill beside our shop with no problem. I even bought the first unit from Caledon Hills Cycling for my personal mountain bike

Everybody pray for snow!

humber river advocate
    icebiking this weekend! perfect conditions, full moon saturday night, don't need lights. clear sky... cost nothing.
    Support TORBA

mtbr member
    The ktraks kits have arrived! I went and picked up the units from Caledon Hills Cycling this afternoon. We are still awaiting the front skiis but we built one kit and took it for a test! I must say it was a lot of fun, we were able to ride up the hard packed hill beside our shop with no problem. I even bought the first unit from Caledon Hills Cycling for my personal mountain bike

Everybody pray for snow!
    Where do we rent them from? Do we need our own bikes or our they already on bikes? How much are they to rent?
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You will be able to rent them from our Ski Chalet. Initialy as we gain interest we will have 5 ktrak kits installed on 5 opus mikahs. If we find that demand far exceeds CHC may possibly bring in more. The rental fees will be $45 with the opus mikahs or $25 without. Those prices include tax. You will be required to use a credit card due to the cost of the equipment.

We are going to be track setting on the black loop skate trail. It should be a real good workout and a lot of fun!

max_29

when?

is tomorrow a good day to come over and rent one?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No not yet we dont have enough snow on the trails to open, I am really hoping we get a little more snow for next weekend

namagomi
    Really dry this winter which is because of el nino!

Supposed to be a lot colder also with the arctic oscillation(like the winter of 1977), but really aside from the last few days... it has been fair.

mtbr member
    I don't get this at all. One can ride bikes on snow just fine, so what exactly does the Ktrack do for you? It has a little more traction, but that front ski looks sketchy. This is fine for some kid to have a little fun, but is this really a tool for winter riding and training?
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast