Out there
    Aug 2006

Are Kolapore or 3-Stage rideable yet?

I supposed I could just go and see if no-one's been out there yet...
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

probably not ridable yet!

I was in Kolaporee on the 5/6th weekend.....SOO MUCH SNOW....we were hiking and we were getting stuck to mid THIGH in some areas....We drove past it this weekend....still looked very WHITE by the entrance to Kolaporee on Sunday afternoon......I'd give it a few more week! don't know about 3-stage yet...

Bored
    Any reports on Dufferin Forrest? That place typically opens up early?
    MTBR is serious stuff.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I tried riding Kolapore on Wednesday. Long sections of it are rideable -- nice and dry -- but when you go down into the shady hollows there's still too much snow. I got about 3km in before I had to give up. It should definitely be rideable next week. There are also a few big trees down across the trails... I will take a folding saw in next time but some will need a chainsaw.

I drove past 3-stage today and it looked about the same. They should both be good to go next weekend.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Okay, I rode Kolapore today. It is very much good to go. Trails are in *excellent* condition. I took a saw and cleared off all the deadfall I found with the exception of one huge tree toward the exit if you do the main loop anticlockwise.

There are a couple of spots where you are essentially cycling down a stream bed, and in one place it was up to the hubs, but it was all good clean rock, not muddy at all. A lot of fun and you will not be ripping up the trails.

The only downer is the incredible mess Grey County (at least I think it was them) have made of the section leading up to the Red Death during their logging operations. It's starting to harden up but what a disaster area. Cans of chainsaw oil just left lying around. I think I may call them tomorrow and ask them to come back and clean up.

There were a bunch of cars in the parking lot but it's a tribute to Kolapore that it just seems to absorb traffic invisibly. I saw one cyclist and a couple of hikers with (apparently rabid) dogs.

I'll try and ride some of the other loops this week and report back.

Anyone ride 3-Stage this weekend?

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I rode 3-Stage this evening. Quite a few riders out although as usual they disappeared into the singletrack and I only met them at the trail head. Trails on the top are in really great shape with just a few uncleared trees on the highest red trails, nothing you can't walk round. Apparently the bottom hasn't been cleared yet but should be in a week or so. Like Kolapore it is incredibly dry for the time of year. Great riding.