Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Kill Cyclist and Profit

Yep.. kill a cyclist, spin your story in a book, and make $$$$.

Former Ontario AG who had fateful encounter with cyclist writing book - Yahoo! News

Workin for the weekend!
    Cmon, the guy who died was a known problem.

He was drunk and violent and he thought it would be a good idea to terrorize a guy and his wife in a convertible. If you've ever driven through Toronto in a car, you'd know that the people ride their bikes with no fear of the laws of physics. Sometimes you gotta side with common sense.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    An untold story? Not possible. Everything that was relevant to the case was released by the defence to the prosecution, and subsequently published by Mr. Peck, in a novel and highly effective gambit to kill the proceedings before they even began. Or was it. I for one would love to know if words were exchanged east of Yonge St which is where the attorney-general stated he first saw Mr. Sheppard.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Cmon, the guy who died was a known problem.

He was drunk and violent and he thought it would be a good idea to terrorize a guy and his wife in a convertible. If you've ever driven through Toronto in a car, you'd know that the people ride their bikes with no fear of the laws of physics. Sometimes you gotta side with common sense.
    How conveniently it is forgotten that Bryant hit him with his car first. But let's continue to deny what Bryant did to escalate the problem himself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for bringing common sense to the table Todd!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    It's a good thing you reminded us about the drunk and violent part, because being a known problem is not sufficient grounds for a death sentence. Being a known problem is grounds for a fine or three every now and then. Oh ya, being drunk isn't grounds for a death sentence either. Violent? I disagree. But, supposing you were correct, even murder and terrorism isn't grounds for a death sentence in this country. No wonder we're going to hell in handbasket!

Workin for the weekend!
    Escalate or not, at the end of the day, the car wins. Every cyclist should know this, regardless of who's right. I'd rather be wrong and alive, that right and dead. I've got 2 kids and a wife to come home to, rarely do I put myself into situations where a car can take away my options to get out of the way. Darcy might have been right, but he's dead.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Funny, driven around TO for many, may years, haven't been attacked yet.

Mind you, I also don't roll up to guys stopped at red lights and bump them from behind to try and get a reaction out of the drunk-and-unhinged-looking-dude... ya know, just to see what he does.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Not to mislead, I have been attacked a few times... by dudes in cars while riding.

Come to think of it, the last guy that pushed me into the curb with his fender mentioned Micheal Bryant by name while daring me to call the cops.

Maybe the guy wasn't drunk and sociopathic, he was just trying to land a sweet book deal.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Escalate or not, at the end of the day, the car wins. Every cyclist should know this, regardless of who's right. I'd rather be wrong and alive, that right and dead. I've got 2 kids and a wife to come home to, rarely do I put myself into situations where a car can take away my options to get out of the way. Darcy might have been right, but he's dead.
    Yes because your the only one in Toronto who has those issues. Make way for you. Your posts reek of self righteousness. Must be great in your world.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    As a biker, both offroad and motorcycle, if a cyclist grabbed on to my car, and was yelling like a maniac, I would put some distance between us, and thats where the gas pedal comes in. If numbnuts decides he wants to see if he can survive the ride, he's more than welcome to join, but my safety and my passenger comes first, and his is at the very bottom of the list. No sympathy at all for people who try to bully and intimidate.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrblade View Post
    As a biker, both offroad and motorcycle, if a cyclist grabbed on to my car, and was yelling like a maniac, I would put some distance between us, and thats where the gas pedal comes in. If numbnuts decides he wants to see if he can survive the ride, he's more than welcome to join, but my safety and my passenger comes first, and his is at the very bottom of the list. No sympathy at all for people who try to bully and intimidate.
    Hmmm.. so what is it called when Mr Bryant hit Sheppard with his bike then? Oh.. wait he did nothing at all it was all the cyclist who did everything.

Yes let us continue to ignore the fact that it was Bryant who made the first physical contact using his car. And continue to vilify the dead who can't speak for themselves. While acting like Bryant did nothing at all to escalate what was mere yelling and ranting at each other on the road.

So the numb nut motorist had a oppurtunity to not escalate it. Instead he did.

I'm waiting for someone now to claim it'[s all Rob Ford's fault as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Absolutetly right. Bryant hit him. I doubt anyone would dispute that. But it was Sheppard that escalated it. Bryant tried to remove himself from the situation and Sheppard escalated it again by grabbing on to the car and likely tried to turn it into a physical confrontation

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrblade View Post
    Absolutetly right. Bryant hit him. I doubt anyone would dispute that. But it was Sheppard that escalated it. Bryant tried to remove himself from the situation and Sheppard escalated it again by grabbing on to the car and likely tried to turn it into a physical confrontation
    Sheppard went for the keys after Bryant hit him. It was Bryant who escalated it to the next level by hitting him with his car from a verbal confrontation... sure Sheppard to that point was being a jerk.

Bryant only tried to remove himself after he hit Sheppard and went after Bryant. Bryant's situation got worse after he hit Sheppard. He didn't like the consequences of his decision and paniced when faced with the results of his decision to hit Sheppard.

But let's continue to believe that it was all Sheppard who escalated it. And continue the belief that drivers are not trying to kill everything not in a car and it's all the cyclists fault.

Toronto.., where the war on bikes has been occurring long before Rob Ford.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    I'm waiting for someone now to claim it'[s all Rob Ford's fault as well.
    It's all Rob Ford's fault.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Justification for Not charging Bryant
    When the vehicle re-started it accelerated into Mr. Sheppard causing him to land on the hood. The expert evidence demonstrates that approximately 2.5 seconds elapsed from the time the vehicle started its forward motion to the time it came to a stop. The brake lights were visible approximately one second into this forward movement. By the time the brakes were applied, the vehicle had reached a speed of somewhere between 9 kph and 13.4 kph (6 to 8.3 mph) and travelled a total distance of approximately 30 feet (2 car lengths). When the vehicle stopped, Mr. Sheppard fell off the hood... Mr. Bryant reversed the vehicle and then preceded forward, turning to manoeuvre
    around the bicycle.
    If that's not illegal, there isn't much point in me calling the cops when I get fendered into the curb.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    If that's not illegal, there isn't much point in me calling the cops when I get fendered into the curb.
    If this was Bryant hitting a car from the rear. We all know the cars would be in park with hazard lights on. Drivers checking to inspect for damage and if required exchange info for any repairs.

The attitudes in this thread are completely why I without a shadow of a doubt believe Toronto drivers have no problem running down anyone not in a car.

Workin for the weekend!
    Perhaps you have to ask yourself this - If Michael Bryant wasn't there, would Darcy Shepherd have entertained his issue with someone else... OR... If Darcy Shepherd wasn't there, would Bryant have gone looking for another cyclist to mow down? Figure who has more to lose in the equation, then think about what those closest had to say about him...
    Even his girlfriend is quoted as noting his behavior that evening was pretty normal:

We all have our demons to deal with and I'm not saying anything was out of place ... he was angry at the world, at everything."

He also had words with police an hour before he died. The Star describes the scene:

"He had a relapse," said [roommate Jordana] Maxwell, 30. "He came to us, because we're his family. I said, `Let him come back upstairs.' The officer said, `No, he needs to go home.' I said, `He can't make it home, he's intoxicated. He cannot ride a bike.' We begged them. They said, `He will not go back upstairs.' And they put him on the road."
    Toronto News: Michael Bryant charged in cyclist's death - thestar.com
    Sounds like Darcy went looking for it. Bryant was on his way home from dessert with his wife.

When I read that part about what the Police had allowed, I was VERY surprised that they were never held accountable. If they let a visibly drunk guy driving a car go through a ride check, only to have him kill someone an hour later, you better believe someone's going to take some heat. Why is it different for a cyclist? The Police did more wrong here than they've been accountable for, which may explain why Bryant went free...

If in the end Darcy Shepherd was your friend, I'm very sorry for your loss.

Perpetual Hack
    Dude, justify it all you want.
    Fact is everything was fine until guy got hit, and lawyer boy freaked and tried to RUN. His excuse of manouver to pull over is bunk. Accident happened - just like hitting a car - put on emergencies and wait to be directed by the man.

/END

I have been hit before and it is not fun. If that happened to me, and I was able , I would do the same thing. Try to prevent Mr ASShat from running. ... and yea in this situation I would probably be dead too.

michael

sheep in FOX clothing
    "Navigator Inc." was hired by Bryant was to alter history, and they're damn good at it. If it wasn't for that troublesome little video clip, I'd would have believed them, too. Hook, line, and sinker.

Sounds like Darcy went looking for it.
    Interesting choice of words.

I've had a lot of motorists tell me I was "looking for trouble" or "asking for it" by riding my bike on the roadway with them.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    "Navigator Inc." was hired by Bryant was to alter history, and they're damn good at it. If it wasn't for that troublesome little video clip, I'd would have believed them, too. Hook, line, and sinker.

Interesting choice of words.

I've had a lot of motorists tell me I was "looking for trouble" or "asking for it" by riding my bike on the roadway with them.
    Only reason we are talking about this is because former ONT AG Bryant of the Liberal Party was involved.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Freakin Liberals!!!!!!!! 8-P

GAME ON!
    if you disagree with the outcome of this event, next time you're in chapters, leave this book on the shelf. show your displeasure by not contributing.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    if you disagree with the outcome of this event, next time you're in chapters, leave this book on the shelf. show your displeasure by not contributing.
    +one zillion

I'll have a very difficult time keeping my opinions to myself if I discover anyone I know has bought the book and contributed to padding Bryant's royalty account with his publisher.

There's an astounding amount of grey areas surrounding this case, but it seems clear that Bryant's handlers, PR people (Navigator) and any supposedly impartial elements of the legal system involved with the case did a bang up job of ensuring that the shades of grey written into the books all favoured Bryant every step of the way.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    +one zillion

I'll have a very difficult time keeping my opinions to myself if I discover anyone I know has bought the book and contributed to padding Bryant's royalty account with his publisher.

There's an astounding amount of grey areas surrounding this case, but it seems clear that Bryant's handlers, PR people (Navigator) and any supposedly impartial elements of the legal system involved with the case did a bang up job of ensuring that the shades of grey written into the books all favoured Bryant every step of the way.
    But but but... he's a Liberal. He can do no wrong. It's all part of Rob Ford's secret war on bikes... it's all a conspiracy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast