Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Kelso Weekly Cyclocross Series

Tuesday night series for September and October. Sounds like run.

Event Calendar - Glen Eden - Skiing and Snowboarding - Kelso Conservation Area

Resident Redneck

Kelso Weekly Cyclocross Series

Wish I could...going to try to reschedule my work for next summers series.

mtbr member
    I should be there most if not all nights. Looking forward to it.

Lemmy Rules!
    I'm thinking I may come out the odd time to get Gravedigger dirty...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Seriously considering signing up for this, if only to get my poor abandoned 'cross bike out of the basement!

I'm having an internal argument about category though... I did some cross racing a few years ago (typical midpack Master 3 racer), but due to life (80+ hour job, kid, dogs) I have barely ridden in the last 12-18 months and am WAY out of shape. Is it too sandbaggery to sign up in the Beginner/Novice category on the basis of appalling fitness, or should I suck it up and suffer off the back of the sport pack?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikingnerd View Post
    Seriously considering signing up for this, if only to get my poor abandoned 'cross bike out of the basement!

I'm having an internal argument about category though... I did some cross racing a few years ago (typical midpack Master 3 racer), but due to life (80+ hour job, kid, dogs) I have barely ridden in the last 12-18 months and am WAY out of shape. Is it too sandbaggery to sign up in the Beginner/Novice category on the basis of appalling fitness, or should I suck it up and suffer off the back of the sport pack?
    I say suffer off the back of the sport pack. I prefer to leave things that say beginner/novice to those that have essentially no experience or kids.

Get a few rides in before then, clean out the lungs a little and you'll be fine. It's just for fun and the sport/expert race is only 45 minutes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    I say suffer off the back of the sport pack. I prefer to leave things that say beginner/novice to those that have essentially no experience or kids.

Get a few rides in before then, clean out the lungs and little and you'll be fine. It's just for fun and the sport/expert race is only 45 minutes.
    Yeah, that was my natural inclination - I've never been afraid to DFL in a race, and 30 min is just too short! Besides, chasing the faster crowd will certainly push my fitness in the right direction.

Lemmy Rules!
    I'll be suffering at the back right along with ya...look for the guy in Lapdogs kit on a Colnago CX bike coughing up a lung...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Wanted to go with wife this weekend and preride course. Anybody know if it laid out?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Definitely worth it, a few minor delays but still went off quite efficiently for the first night.
    Course was easy to follow, rough and lots of hills, barriers in just the right spot to really make it hurt.

mtbr member
    Anyone else have issues with the online reg? It doesn't seem to be active, and I am not technologically challenged...Or so I think...
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    They announced it was broken yesterday, but it should be back up and running now

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    While I signed up for the series, I made it out to my first race last night.

Kinda disappointed that in general, I think the course would be faster on an MTB (atleast for me). There was significant climbing and descending that, in my opinion, wasn't well suited to the CX bike.

Still had fun however and hoping for a little more CX style course next week.

mtbr member
    While I signed up for the series, I made it out to my first race last night.

Kinda disappointed that in general, I think the course would be faster on an MTB (at least for me). There was significant climbing and descending that, in my opinion, wasn't well suited to the CX bike.

Still had fun however and hoping for a little more CX style course next week.
    This being my second week to the race and overall doing a CX race, I would have to agree with you on your comments. I am quite sure that I would be much faster on that course on my mtb than the CX bike despite my newness on the bike. I heard many comments in this regard and hope that the new course has a more CX friendly feel to it. Entering the series was part of the reason I took the plunge to get the cross bike and I don't want to be tempted to bring my mtb out just because the racing would be more fun and better suited to that kind of bike.

Evil Jr.
    Don't yield to temptation!

Part of the fun of 'cross racing is that the bikes aren't well suited to anything in particular. That's where strategy starts to play a role. Some riders in some sections will be faster on the bike and others off the bike and so on.

My best results were always on the more technical courses and I pretty much got killed on the power ones.

Having said that, I didn't see the course so it might just not be especially well set. In any case, if you guys are planning on doing more 'cross racing throughout the Fall, it will pay to have the seat-time on the CX bikes.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Don't yield to temptation!

Part of the fun of 'cross racing is that the bikes aren't well suited to anything in particular. That's where strategy starts to play a role. Some riders in some sections will be faster on the bike and others off the bike and so on.

My best results were always on the more technical courses and I pretty much got killed on the power ones.

Having said that, I didn't see the course so it might just not be especially well set. In any case, if you guys are planning on doing more 'cross racing throughout the Fall, it will pay to have the seat-time on the CX bikes.
    GM, I've done a few cross races, and mtbmeister was talking with some very experienced CX racers who said the same thing.

I'm all for technical courses, I love ripping my CX bike through singletrack (I raced it at one of the Kelso MTB races) and off camber corners, tight stuff. However, this course had significant climbing, like 50-75 m per lap! We went half way up the ski hill (most people pushing their bikes, not a quick run up, killed my back), plus there was some very high speed down hills and corners. Stuff that on a CX bike you need to be on the brakes, on an MTB you'd be pedaling.

The smallest climbs in this course were the biggest I've seen in other courses.

The race for me was struggling to climb like I'm singlespeeding, then hard on the brakes while I'm descending.

Even with the fun of getting squirrely on a CX bike, I am confident everyone racing could have been faster on an MTB.

mtbr member
    And just to say, I still had fun out there, but as mtbmeister said, not a big fan of going to a CX race and thinking I could have been significantly faster on my MTB.

Which was especially true for me, on the big, steep climb (which went straight up the ski hill), I could have powered up it super quick on my MTB, no issues. I rode it the first lap on my CX, but struggled. From there on, I had to push, which hurt my back. A quick run up isn't bad, but for some reason pushing my bike up steep hills really hurts me, so I casually walked it every lap from there on and got passed by 1-3 people each time (rode it 3/4 of the way on the last lap out of spite).

Evil Jr.
    Well, that's a shame because Kelso has played host to some EPIC courses over in the picnic area. In fact, Kelso was one of two places I beat Mike Cranwell in a 'cross race (that might not mean much to most people but to those who know him, he's a fierce competitor. ).
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    And just to say, I still had fun out there, but as mtbmeister said, not a big fan of going to a CX race and thinking I could have been significantly faster on my MTB.

Which was especially true for me, on the big, steep climb (which went straight up the ski hill), I could have powered up it super quick on my MTB, no issues. I rode it the first lap on my CX, but struggled. From there on, I had to push, which hurt my back. A quick run up isn't bad, but for some reason pushing my bike up steep hills really hurts me, so I casually walked it every lap from there on and got passed by 1-3 people each time (rode it 3/4 of the way on the last lap out of spite).
    Totally the same issues for me CPT! And for the record, over five laps it was 370m of climbing according to my Garmin. The one climb was a little nutty to walk up as I watched the mountain bikers find a gear and pull away riding up it.

Agreed on the experience GM of riding the CX bike, but I would prefer that the course define what has been described to me as much flatter with punchy fast hills or run ups. I am sure they'll be something different next course, and I'll embrace it regardless. I think...

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    I agree with mtbmeister and CptSydor 100%. The course was far more suited to a mountain bike, not a cyclocross bike. I consider myself a fairly experienced cx racer and I've never seen a cx course with so much climbing and high speed (long!) descending.

I did enjoy the many off camber corners in the course though! There is potential for fun cx courses at Kelso so I think with some feedback, the courses will improve. I am sure this will grow to be a great series. Cyclocross in the dark!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by VVagabond View Post
    I agree with mtbmeister and CptSydor 100%. The course was far more suited to a mountain bike, not a cyclocross bike. I consider myself a fairly experienced cx racer and I've never seen a cx course with so much climbing and high speed (long!) descending.

I did enjoy the many off camber corners in the course though! There is potential for fun cx courses at Kelso so I think with some feedback, the courses will improve. I am sure this will grow to be a great series. Cyclocross in the dark!!
    I'm sure we are all grateful for any organized cyclocross race but I can't help but agree about being faster on a mountainbike, as I went and checked it out on a Sunday and was blown away. The main climb is steep and long, most x bikes won't have the gears and you wouldn't have any momentum, which is fine for making a hard race, but then the down hill is very rutted and off camber and just slow, which I don't have fun on, then another run up after that , so those that like that type of racing will enjoy it. I laughed when I read the comments on this thread as my first thought when I saw the course was I would rock this on my XC way faster.

mtbr member
    I would strongly suggest you send some feedback into AJ and Simon who run the series. I have heard the same comments probably from some of the same people. I have no other experience with CX so I guess I just took it for what it is... I'm curious what their other course options would be that would allow them to still run it all under the lights. The new course should be posted in the next day or so.

I agree the course was a little rough, but I don't know for me if an MTB is faster. I tried both (although MTB not during a race) and my times were a bit quicker on the CX.

Either way, it is good practice for the more serious/competitive events! Should feel like you are a rocket in them!

mtbr member
    Here's the second race course, but for the beginner/novice.

Generally looks like less climbing, but it's hard to know what they will add in for the sport/expert race.

I saw two sections blocked off by those half circle ski things where they divert the two races. The first was after the opening climb (1:38), I guess they'll send the sports/experts up further.

The second was the steep little run up at the end of the gravel road to the tube hill finish. That was fun.

Kelso Cyclocross Track B Oct 1, 2013 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Looks like a bit less climbing, but I was hoping they would leave that steep one in there at least!

mtbr member
    Here's the second race course, but for the beginner/novice.

Generally looks like less climbing, but it's hard to know what they will add in for the sport/expert race.

I saw two sections blocked off by those half circle ski things where they divert the two races. The first was after the opening climb (1:38), I guess they'll send the sports/experts up further.

The second was the steep little run up at the end of the gravel road to the tube hill finish. That was fun.

Kelso Cyclocross Track B Oct 1, 2013 - YouTube
    Hmmm...Perhaps I know where I will ride later this aft...Should we be concerned he was getting off his bike in a couple of very rideable locations on a mountain bike? Stay tuned for more feedback.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast