rwmtb

Kelso Tuesday Night Race Series

Hey everyone, just a heads-up that Kelso is offering an online registration feature for the weekly MTB Race series. It will save you some time registration night (May 14) if you do it online (for me, a lot of time as we have 5 racers in the family this year!)

Event Calendar - Glen Eden - Skiing and Snowboarding - Kelso Conservation Area

First race is May 21, are you ready?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Signed up online last week. I have never done this series, so am looking forward to it.

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've been doing the series for a few years. I'm hoping this year is better than last year.

Last year there was a change in the MTB coordinator and I found the courses a bit tame. The first few were basically an hour of double track. I don't generally associate an hour of pinned HR as fun :-(

The first course is up:
    http://gleneden.on.ca/uploads/events/Race_Route_-_1.jpg

and for Strava users it's here:
    Strava Segment | Kelso Race Series 2013 - Week #1

There's a few singletrack sections to break up the route, but it's going to be fast. There's not much recovery in there.

Hopefully we'll get a balance between the needs of the beginners v.s. experts so we all have fun. It is cool to see all the people who come out.

Look me up - race plate #12 - Kona Hei-Hei 29er or OnOne SS.

Rob

rwmtb

Race 1 and 213 Riders!

Race 1 is complete and there were over 213 riders who showed up. A slight gender imbalance though, 21 women, 192 men. Ladies, bring a friend!

Great to see 45 riders under the age of 19 out though. Shout out to rider with bib #100 who is a 10 year old female and finished 2nd in the Novice category. One to watch Look like some young up and comers in the Sport category too. Way to go parents, great to see the youth getting interested in the sport.

I rode with my 9yo girl in the Novice category and then finished my other 2 laps for the Expert category. As much as I love to race it was incredibly gratifying to follow my girl and have her chatter away the whole time. On the ride home my 8yo son, who also rode in the Novice category for the first time, says that was "the best night ever." That pretty much made my week

Enjoyed the course, great to see the program continue to develop and grow.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmtb View Post
    I rode with my 9yo girl in the Novice category and then finished my other 2 laps for the Expert category. As much as I love to race it was incredibly gratifying to follow my girl and have her chatter away the whole time. On the ride home my 8yo son, who also rode in the Novice category for the first time, says that was "the best night ever." That pretty much made my week
    That sounds awesome. Maybe in around 7 years, we'll be out doing the same thing.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

rwmtb
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    That sounds awesome. Maybe in around 7 years, we'll be out doing the same thing.
    I may have a good used kids bike you can buy My garage is looking more and more like a bike shop these days: 8 bikes, 2 bike trailers and a trail-a-bike.

I love it that the kids are getting into mountain biking, but it does mean that Mom and Dad will have to keep the vintage bike we have for a few more years. *sigh*