Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    NormalNorm

Just so sick of this Winter...

Ok, I need to vent.....What is with this winter.

I tried to ride this morning on snow, but it was icy underneath so i turned back home.

Its starting to get to me. Snow, slush, freezing rain, ice pellets, etc. I'm starting to jones for some riding, but the weather is crap. Usually, by now i start to get some road rides in.....but this winter is something else.

Frustrated....

Sir Hurt Locker
    Yup, I just woke up to a fresh 10cm of snow!! I know how you feel but what can we do ... the bike show will be awesome this weekend though!!! This snow can't stay forever ... i hope.
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yup, no need to lift weights this morning. It's going to take me a good hour to shovel my driveway. This is the kind of winter I remember from my childhood. Loved it back then but hate it now. Course if I had a nice new skidoo out back I would be in heaven!

At least the schools weren't cancelled, otherwise I would have been stuck inside with 4 kids, going quietly insane. I would have had to have suffer through cartoons while I did my afternoon spin for 2 hours instead of my usual blood/guts/action movies. The horror!!

Spring can't come soon enough.
    High on Life

Space for rent...

I'm with ya...

In previous years, I have been able to get a couple of road rides in each month, just to keep the legs in shape. Not this year.

For my trip to South America, I ended up taking a 1 month membership of spinning classes and that helped me a lot. Those classes, and all the riding I was able to do had me in great shape for the upcoming season. However, since I got back I haven't been on able to get out at all and it is driving me crazy. Looks like I will have to get back on the spinning bike
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    I'm feeling it also. I did manage to commute to work this morning by bike, but it wasn't pretty.

I have managed to get in 1500 km or so outdoors since Jan 1st, but it hasn't always been pure enjoyment. There have been some ''okay' days for road riding, but it's getting tougher and tougher as the winter continues. Looking back, boy was Monday a tease!

mtbr member
    Ditto. Winter has been terrible this year.

I wonder why?
    What's wrong with you guys??

I've been biking all winter. Singletrack too.

It's been challenging at times, but good.

i1dry?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Hi guys!
    We are not that adventurous,and we just upgraded ourselfs to full susp,so I tried to avoid the winter with them...
    Maybe next winter we'll start to ride...
    But now I really feel the "need" to get back to the saddle,so my question is:
    How far south have to go down to the states to get dry singletracks?
    I really want to ride!!!!!

mtbr member
    I love those pics, and a very nice bike too . I love riding a frozen singletrack it's almost as much fun as rock gardens in summer. I estimate I've done about 700 km since the start of January 2008, most of it was commuting to work and a little bit of singletrack on the weekends. Studded tires make a big difference .

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by norm
    Ok, I need to vent.....What is with this winter.

I tried to ride this morning on snow, but it was icy underneath so i turned back home.

Its starting to get to me. Snow, slush, freezing rain, ice pellets, etc. I'm starting to jones for some riding, but the weather is crap. Usually, by now i start to get some road rides in.....but this winter is something else.

Frustrated....
    Is hockey season coming to an end for ya?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    This winter has been great for off-road winter biking. Since the start of this year, I've MTB'd about 400 km. i1dry pics are what it's all about!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by notnormal
    This winter has been great for off-road winter biking. Since the start of this year, I've MTB'd about 400 km. i1dry pics are what it's all about!
    I thought January had a few good days, but in February, it rained, and froze, turning the trails to ice, which made them unrideable for me and my non studded tires. And then it snowed, dropped below -15, then snowed again...
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

I wonder why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfchild
    I love those pics, and a very nice bike too . I love riding a frozen singletrack it's almost as much fun as rock gardens in summer. I estimate I've done about 700 km since the start of January 2008, most of it was commuting to work and a little bit of singletrack on the weekends. Studded tires make a big difference .
    Thanks on the bike comment.

I've ridden every Sat and Sun this winter (except for one week when I was in California).

I particularly like breaking trail after a few inches of new snow. Not only is it easier than you would think, but quite beautiful and peaceful as well.

The studs are great when there's lot's of ice, but so slow me sown quite a bit on the hard packed snow compared to my buddy (using Kenda Small block 8's).

I'm too lazy to change the tires in the winter so, one week I'm way out front and the next he's waiting on me. Great workout though.

I really don't understand why there are so few people riding through the winter.

i1dry?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by i1dry

I really don't understand why there are so few people riding through the winter.

i1dry?
    ...because it is cold.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I thought January had a few good days, but in February, it rained, and froze, turning the trails to ice, which made them unrideable for me and my non studded tires. And then it snowed, dropped below -15, then snowed again...
    Studded tires helped me a lot when the trails froze to ice. I never regretted getting them; and like i1dry, I leave them on all winter as I'm also too lazy to change tires.

As for the colder weather, that never stopped me as I was raised in colder weather. The only thing is that people in their cars would give me weird looks .
    Last edited by notnormal; 03-05-2008 at 06:20 PM.

bi-winning
    Studded tires helped me a lot when the trails froze to ice. I never regretted getting them; and like i1dry, I leave them on all winter as I'm also to lazy to change tires.

As for the colder weather, that never stopped me as I was raised in colder weather. The only thing is that people in their cars would give me weird looks .
    Another factor is that outfitting yourself in good cold weather gear can be expensive for the average recreational cyclist. I was lucky enough to get nearly all of my cold weather stuff as gifts.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Sir Hurt Locker
    I'm just really busy with school and my part time job so I have only been able to make it out a couple times for a ride. I really have to get some lights for my bike next season so I can bike at night, since it's pretty much always dark in the winter.

Side Note: I have been wanting to make it out to Guelph Lake for some winter biking but i can not find a trail map anywhere. Where are these trails? The conservation area? Thanks.
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Another factor is that outfitting yourself in good cold weather gear can be expensive for the average recreational cyclist. I was lucky enough to get nearly all of my cold weather stuff as gifts.
    It doesn't have to be expensive at all. I shop for most of my clothes at MarksWorkWearhouse, they have some outdoor specific clothes for very reasonable prices. Personally I am not into all the bling and cycling fashion( no spandex or lycra for me), but that's just me I guess I have a different style. I just prefer normal outdoor clothing and it's cheaper too.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    Course if I had a nice new skidoo out back I would be in heaven!

A new 1 for me this winter. Almost 4800 klicks on it.

When spring arrives, everything will dry up & it'll be a normal season.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

OCD
    This type of fun is pretty inexpensive to get outfitted for also.

The Hydro-Cut offers some nice challenges on the boards and is also super fun at night!

Still, I'm also jonesing for the chance to get back in there on two wheels. :-)

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfchild
    It doesn't have to be expensive at all. I shop for most of my clothes at MarksWorkWearhouse, they have some outdoor specific clothes for very reasonable prices. Personally I am not into all the bling and cycling fashion( no spandex or lycra for me), but that's just me I guess I have a different style. I just prefer normal outdoor clothing and it's cheaper too.
    My -18C (-30C Windchill) gear includes:
    $20 lined winter windproof jacket with velcro wrist straps. Walmart. I'd wear a long sleeve bike shirt underneath.
    $16.50 balaclava for helmets. MEC.
    $25 3M Thinsulate -40C winter boots. Zellers.
    $10 Nike windproof jogging pants. Clearance price at some store. Up to -10C I'd wear my bike shorts underneath. Below that I'd wear jeans underneath.
    $5-$10 Military Arctic Gloves. Any army surplus store.

All this kept me nice and warm.

The expensive items are studded tires and bike lights. But those can be DIY projects on the cheap.

Edit: This thread is also full of ideas for cheap clothes, but includes a bit of a debate.
    Last edited by notnormal; 03-05-2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Add a link.

Paste eater
    Gosh, i can only imagine the Winter you folks are having. Not to far south down here in Portland Maine, we're hovering right around 100 inches / 254 cm! Due to coastal conditions we only average around 40 inches / 100 cm. Last year we had 20 inches / 50cm!

And we've had our share of crap rain/sleet stuff too. Hope spring comes on strong and fast.

bi-winning
    My -18C (-30C Windchill) gear includes:
    $20 lined winter windproof jacket with velcro wrist straps. Walmart. I'd wear a long sleeve bike shirt underneath.
    $16.50 balaclava for helmets. MEC.
    $25 3M Thinsulate -40C winter boots. Zellers.
    $10 Nike windproof jogging pants. Clearance price at some store. Up to -10C I'd wear my bike shorts underneath. Below that I'd wear jeans underneath.
    $5-$10 Military Arctic Gloves. Any army surplus store.

All this kept me nice and warm.

The expensive items are studded tires and bike lights. But those can be DIY projects on the cheap.
    looks like you did very well!

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    i just got my first fs, a nomad for christmas. i've been on one ride like the day it came in. there is no way im gonna pop this things cherry over the winter, fahq that. but im getting to the point i can't take it anymore. i was almost gonna register for the races at the bike show but ill just watch. i got two more weeks of ice fishin and then im gonna pull out the old steve bauer biopace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CT special via 199? or was that 198? oh yeah it's got commuter aquatreads, this is gonna b fun

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdurden119
    oh yeah it's got commuter aquatreads,
    nice touch

Shorthills Cycling Club

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast