Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NormalNorm

Just so sick of this Winter...

Ok, I need to vent.....What is with this winter.

I tried to ride this morning on snow, but it was icy underneath so i turned back home.

Its starting to get to me. Snow, slush, freezing rain, ice pellets, etc. I'm starting to jones for some riding, but the weather is crap. Usually, by now i start to get some road rides in.....but this winter is something else.

Frustrated....

Sir Hurt Locker
    Yup, I just woke up to a fresh 10cm of snow!! I know how you feel but what can we do ... the bike show will be awesome this weekend though!!! This snow can't stay forever ... i hope.
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yup, no need to lift weights this morning. It's going to take me a good hour to shovel my driveway. This is the kind of winter I remember from my childhood. Loved it back then but hate it now. Course if I had a nice new skidoo out back I would be in heaven!

At least the schools weren't cancelled, otherwise I would have been stuck inside with 4 kids, going quietly insane. I would have had to have suffer through cartoons while I did my afternoon spin for 2 hours instead of my usual blood/guts/action movies. The horror!!

Spring can't come soon enough.
    High on Life

Space for rent...

I'm with ya...

In previous years, I have been able to get a couple of road rides in each month, just to keep the legs in shape. Not this year.

For my trip to South America, I ended up taking a 1 month membership of spinning classes and that helped me a lot. Those classes, and all the riding I was able to do had me in great shape for the upcoming season. However, since I got back I haven't been on able to get out at all and it is driving me crazy. Looks like I will have to get back on the spinning bike
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    I'm feeling it also. I did manage to commute to work this morning by bike, but it wasn't pretty.

I have managed to get in 1500 km or so outdoors since Jan 1st, but it hasn't always been pure enjoyment. There have been some ''okay' days for road riding, but it's getting tougher and tougher as the winter continues. Looking back, boy was Monday a tease!

mtbr member
    Ditto. Winter has been terrible this year.

I wonder why?
    What's wrong with you guys??

I've been biking all winter. Singletrack too.

It's been challenging at times, but good.

i1dry?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Hi guys!
    We are not that adventurous,and we just upgraded ourselfs to full susp,so I tried to avoid the winter with them...
    Maybe next winter we'll start to ride...
    But now I really feel the "need" to get back to the saddle,so my question is:
    How far south have to go down to the states to get dry singletracks?
    I really want to ride!!!!!

mtbr member
    I love those pics, and a very nice bike too . I love riding a frozen singletrack it's almost as much fun as rock gardens in summer. I estimate I've done about 700 km since the start of January 2008, most of it was commuting to work and a little bit of singletrack on the weekends. Studded tires make a big difference .

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by norm
    Ok, I need to vent.....What is with this winter.

I tried to ride this morning on snow, but it was icy underneath so i turned back home.

Its starting to get to me. Snow, slush, freezing rain, ice pellets, etc. I'm starting to jones for some riding, but the weather is crap. Usually, by now i start to get some road rides in.....but this winter is something else.

Frustrated....
    Is hockey season coming to an end for ya?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    This winter has been great for off-road winter biking. Since the start of this year, I've MTB'd about 400 km. i1dry pics are what it's all about!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by notnormal
    This winter has been great for off-road winter biking. Since the start of this year, I've MTB'd about 400 km. i1dry pics are what it's all about!
    I thought January had a few good days, but in February, it rained, and froze, turning the trails to ice, which made them unrideable for me and my non studded tires. And then it snowed, dropped below -15, then snowed again...
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

I wonder why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfchild
    I love those pics, and a very nice bike too . I love riding a frozen singletrack it's almost as much fun as rock gardens in summer. I estimate I've done about 700 km since the start of January 2008, most of it was commuting to work and a little bit of singletrack on the weekends. Studded tires make a big difference .
    Thanks on the bike comment.

I've ridden every Sat and Sun this winter (except for one week when I was in California).

I particularly like breaking trail after a few inches of new snow. Not only is it easier than you would think, but quite beautiful and peaceful as well.

The studs are great when there's lot's of ice, but so slow me sown quite a bit on the hard packed snow compared to my buddy (using Kenda Small block 8's).

I'm too lazy to change the tires in the winter so, one week I'm way out front and the next he's waiting on me. Great workout though.

I really don't understand why there are so few people riding through the winter.

i1dry?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by i1dry

I really don't understand why there are so few people riding through the winter.

i1dry?
    ...because it is cold.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I thought January had a few good days, but in February, it rained, and froze, turning the trails to ice, which made them unrideable for me and my non studded tires. And then it snowed, dropped below -15, then snowed again...
    Studded tires helped me a lot when the trails froze to ice. I never regretted getting them; and like i1dry, I leave them on all winter as I'm also too lazy to change tires.

As for the colder weather, that never stopped me as I was raised in colder weather. The only thing is that people in their cars would give me weird looks .
    Last edited by notnormal; 03-05-2008 at 06:20 PM.

bi-winning
    Studded tires helped me a lot when the trails froze to ice. I never regretted getting them; and like i1dry, I leave them on all winter as I'm also to lazy to change tires.

As for the colder weather, that never stopped me as I was raised in colder weather. The only thing is that people in their cars would give me weird looks .
    Another factor is that outfitting yourself in good cold weather gear can be expensive for the average recreational cyclist. I was lucky enough to get nearly all of my cold weather stuff as gifts.

Sir Hurt Locker
    I'm just really busy with school and my part time job so I have only been able to make it out a couple times for a ride. I really have to get some lights for my bike next season so I can bike at night, since it's pretty much always dark in the winter.

Side Note: I have been wanting to make it out to Guelph Lake for some winter biking but i can not find a trail map anywhere. Where are these trails? The conservation area? Thanks.
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Another factor is that outfitting yourself in good cold weather gear can be expensive for the average recreational cyclist. I was lucky enough to get nearly all of my cold weather stuff as gifts.
    It doesn't have to be expensive at all. I shop for most of my clothes at MarksWorkWearhouse, they have some outdoor specific clothes for very reasonable prices. Personally I am not into all the bling and cycling fashion( no spandex or lycra for me), but that's just me I guess I have a different style. I just prefer normal outdoor clothing and it's cheaper too.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    Course if I had a nice new skidoo out back I would be in heaven!

A new 1 for me this winter. Almost 4800 klicks on it.

When spring arrives, everything will dry up & it'll be a normal season.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

OCD
    This type of fun is pretty inexpensive to get outfitted for also.

The Hydro-Cut offers some nice challenges on the boards and is also super fun at night!

Still, I'm also jonesing for the chance to get back in there on two wheels. :-)

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfchild
    It doesn't have to be expensive at all. I shop for most of my clothes at MarksWorkWearhouse, they have some outdoor specific clothes for very reasonable prices. Personally I am not into all the bling and cycling fashion( no spandex or lycra for me), but that's just me I guess I have a different style. I just prefer normal outdoor clothing and it's cheaper too.
    My -18C (-30C Windchill) gear includes:
    $20 lined winter windproof jacket with velcro wrist straps. Walmart. I'd wear a long sleeve bike shirt underneath.
    $16.50 balaclava for helmets. MEC.
    $25 3M Thinsulate -40C winter boots. Zellers.
    $10 Nike windproof jogging pants. Clearance price at some store. Up to -10C I'd wear my bike shorts underneath. Below that I'd wear jeans underneath.
    $5-$10 Military Arctic Gloves. Any army surplus store.

All this kept me nice and warm.

The expensive items are studded tires and bike lights. But those can be DIY projects on the cheap.

Edit: This thread is also full of ideas for cheap clothes, but includes a bit of a debate.
    Last edited by notnormal; 03-05-2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Add a link.

Paste eater
    Gosh, i can only imagine the Winter you folks are having. Not to far south down here in Portland Maine, we're hovering right around 100 inches / 254 cm! Due to coastal conditions we only average around 40 inches / 100 cm. Last year we had 20 inches / 50cm!

And we've had our share of crap rain/sleet stuff too. Hope spring comes on strong and fast.

bi-winning
    My -18C (-30C Windchill) gear includes:
    $20 lined winter windproof jacket with velcro wrist straps. Walmart. I'd wear a long sleeve bike shirt underneath.
    $16.50 balaclava for helmets. MEC.
    $25 3M Thinsulate -40C winter boots. Zellers.
    $10 Nike windproof jogging pants. Clearance price at some store. Up to -10C I'd wear my bike shorts underneath. Below that I'd wear jeans underneath.
    $5-$10 Military Arctic Gloves. Any army surplus store.

All this kept me nice and warm.

The expensive items are studded tires and bike lights. But those can be DIY projects on the cheap.
    looks like you did very well!

mtbr member
    i just got my first fs, a nomad for christmas. i've been on one ride like the day it came in. there is no way im gonna pop this things cherry over the winter, fahq that. but im getting to the point i can't take it anymore. i was almost gonna register for the races at the bike show but ill just watch. i got two more weeks of ice fishin and then im gonna pull out the old steve bauer biopace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CT special via 199? or was that 198? oh yeah it's got commuter aquatreads, this is gonna b fun

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdurden119
    oh yeah it's got commuter aquatreads,
    nice touch

rad to the power of sick
    I logged in some roadie mileage last weekend, and the cold combined with forced saline intake pretty much convinced me that winter is by far the worst thing that has ever existed in the cosmos.

It convinced me that despite popular belief, hell is not hot and fiery, but rather, -3 with a north wind and rock salt blowing at you from the 18 wheelers that whoosh past you.

Also, in my extremely humble opinion, snow riding is miserable and boring.

give me some 30 degree days, and hard dry singletrack now.

winter is balls.

mtbr member
    My winter was going just great until 12 days ago when I injured my back. I haven't been able to do anything since then and yesterday I came down with the flu just to really drive it all home. I don't know what kind kind of crazy virus got to me, but this is much worse than I remember.

So at this point I can do without any more snow, since I won't be skiing any more. I will need the weekends to ride my a$$ off for that first race at the end of April.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Looking for Adventure

Snowshoeing and X Skiing Has Been Great at Albion

Best conditions in years......great workout, both under the stars in the evening and on the weekends. Lots of mountain bikers skiing at Albion on weekends.
    Great for the family as the kids can toboggan down the hill beside the chalet.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

rad to the power of sick
    So 30cm for the GTA starting tomorrow. Up to 50, yep..5-0 for the niagara penninsula.

Good for the water tables i guess...
    http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warni...rt_e.html?on24

dirt roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    Up to 50, yep..5-0 for the niagara penninsula.
    [sarcasm]Oh fantastic[/sarcasm]

I am geographically in the center of the Niagara Peninsula. Although closer to Lake Erie will likely get hit harder than me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    So 30cm for the GTA starting tomorrow. Up to 50, yep..5-0 for the niagara penninsula.

Good for the water tables i guess...
    http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warni...rt_e.html?on24
    Yep, just watched the news. Enough is enough for Christ's sake. And I don't even believe in the man. Holy crap, does it ever end? This will be the most welcome spring in years...I think there's been enough snow this year to eclipse the amounts we've had for past 7-8 years. Just crazy. I would rather have some white sh!t on the ground than grey -5 degree days all winter, but enough is enough. Fighting the town plows to clean the end of the driveway is getting old and spring can't come soon enough. Good thing is, really we have 4-6 weeks more of potentially crap, an then 5-10 degree days are going to seem like a day in the Caribbean. We deserve a sauna like smogfest of a humid summer after this crap...Bring it on and please give us a nice season of weather for riding and racing...

N.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    We deserve a sauna like smogfest of a humid summer after this crap...Bring it on and please give us a nice season of weather for riding and racing...

N.
    Which is it you'd like? A smogfest or a nice season of weather?

Society as a whole might deserve the smogfest, but I think we mountain bikers deserve non-humid highs of 25, light breezes, the occasional puffy white cloud, and twice weekly light rain between the hours of 1:00 and 4:00 A.M.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2
    Which is it you'd like? A smogfest or a nice season of weather?

Society as a whole might deserve the smogfest, but I think we mountain bikers deserve non-humid highs of 25, light breezes, the occasional puffy white cloud, and twice weekly light rain between the hours of 1:00 and 4:00 A.M.
    Well, I didn't mean it in the literal sense...As a friend of the environment with biking and other endeavors, smog is not a good thing. Just ready for the heat that's all. That said, the 30 plus temperatures don't bother me any.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I love my 29er, but I love my XC skis as well. After 5 rather (fecally) - er poor winters, I have finally been able to use my skis and snowshoes more than my bike.

I hate shovelling day after day, but it is sure nice to have a season to seperate fall from spring. Besides all this snow will make my canoe trips a little easier as well.

Stosh

I wonder how many would complain about 102 days of sunlight and humidty?
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

mtbr member
    Another day, another hour on the trainer. ZzzZZzZz...

I think the first races in April are going to be... err... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    Gosh, i can only imagine the Winter you folks are having. Not to far south down here in Portland Maine, we're hovering right around 100 inches / 254 cm! Due to coastal conditions we only average around 40 inches / 100 cm. Last year we had 20 inches / 50cm!

And we've had our share of crap rain/sleet stuff too. Hope spring comes on strong and fast.
    Actually, we don't normally get a whole lot of snow here in Toronto either. I didn't think Portland itself got more than a few cm of snow a year (kind of like metro Vancouver), but 100cm is a lot more than what I had thought. I know Mt Hood gets lots of snow, but I thought it was mostly rain in the Winter for you guys in the city.

OCD
    How can you be sick of this when Mother Nature is so kind as to build a custom awning over the BBQ for you? LOL

The XC Ski trails should be a beauty tomorrow.

Cheers!

Jeff

Live Free or Ride!
    This snow sucks and we're getting hammered again right now. Oh well, hope this is the last of it, I can smell spring and the mud in the air
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by jsquid
    How can you be sick of this when Mother Nature is so kind as to build a custom awning over the BBQ for you? LOL

The XC Ski trails should be a beauty tomorrow.

Cheers!

Jeff

Holy Crap!

Ucking POORING here now.

OCD
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    Holy Crap!

Ucking POORING here now.
    LOL

That was taken over three hours ago and it still hasn't stopped snowing. I can only watch and laugh at this point, and hope I have enough energy left for skiing after shoveling the driveway tomorrow. Hey, that's nature... :-)

Cheers!

-Jeff

mtbr member
    I ride my bike daily to work in Toronto. The recent snow has been a challenge but overall the roads are plowed quickly and riding really is not that hard -you do need to invest in the right gear. I also do a group ride every Sunday morning from Taylor Creek Park - this winter has been a blast, tomorrow morning is going to be fun looks like the 25+ cm forecasted is on the ground.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    ^ i second that, the snow really sucks given the bike show is on this week.

Sir Hurt Locker
    Bike show was awesome!!! The drive was terrible though, and coming home and having to shovel the driveway to get the car in the garage was the worst. Gotta shovel more tomorrow and my back is killing me. Crappy Crappy winter!!
    Cheers,

Seb

bi-winning
    There seems to be a lot of "oh look at the great weather we are getting" posts on the Passion forum, and I admit, it has got me a little bitter, especially after the storm we just got.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh (Canada)
    Besides all this snow will make my canoe trips a little easier as well.
    After a few summers of hearing complaints about low lake levels, we'll be bombarded by high water complaints.
    Last edited by revrnd; 03-09-2008 at 10:07 PM.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

Sir Hurt Locker
    I hear there is another snow storm coming, supposed to add another 10cm of snow. We beat the record here for snowfall, the previous record was held for 89 years!!! It's also been colder than seasonal, my question is: where the hell is global warming?
    Cheers,

Seb

bi-winning

Scientific insight by rkj__

Quote Originally Posted by 2_Tires
    I hear there is another snow storm coming, supposed to add another 10cm of snow. We beat the record here for snowfall, the previous record was held for 89 years!!! It's also been colder than seasonal, my question is: where the hell is global warming?
    Don't take the term "global warming" too literally. From what I understand, the more we mess up the environment, the more messed up our weather patterns will be.

mtbr member
    Have you seen "The day after tomorrow", the other day I was looking at the storm on the american radar service and it looked like a hurricane, it had an "eye". I hear real estate is cheap in the states

Sir Hurt Locker
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdurden119
    Have you seen "The day after tomorrow", the other day I was looking at the storm on the american radar service and it looked like a hurricane, it had an "eye". I hear real estate is cheap in the states
    Maybe I'll by a house in the states to escape winter How are houses in Texas?
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_Tires

Here in the snow belt off of the Great Lakes, Global warming should mean more snow, not less.
    If the Lakes stay ice free longer because they are too warm to freeze, then obviously there should be a lot more lake effect snow.
    I wounder how much of a correlation there is between precipitation from these 'Gulf' storms and high water levels in the great lakes basin. Because these are the only events adding water to the lakes and not just recirculating it.

Stosh

Hopeing the flooding will not be bad, but fearing the worse considering some news reports I have heard lately.
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

rad to the power of sick
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh (Canada)

Hopeing the flooding will not be bad, but fearing the worse considering some news reports I have heard lately.
    Seriously! As i trudged to the bus stop today i realized every storm drain is covered by 1meter plow drift. With 7 degrees and rain expected on Thursday, looks like we have good times ahead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast