Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's coming!

mtbr member

It's coming!

As I walked into work this morning the sun was shining and its warm rays hit my check. The sun felt hot (not just bright) for the first time in months. You know what this means right?! Well, if like me, you put the bike away during the winter, it means a return to the saddle is nearly here.

Getting pumped.

Now... what does my bike "need"....

All my faucets is Moen.
    I'm getting pumped too.
    First good weekend for outdoor riding
    And daylight savings time this weekend means riding after work with 2hrs of daylight.

mtbr member
    rejoice sinners, the time is here. I went out wednesday after work for a Sydenham climb, the first this year, and there is life after winter. Looking forward to riding saturday and sunday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yup...I'm afraid (OK...wrong word but I hope you know what I mean), it's gonna be road this weekend. A Sydenham climb seems almost appetizing...

No Stranger to danger....
    Phew, thank god this thread isnt what i thought it was about !
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

9 lives
    The snow can't melt fast enough! I love watching for signs of spring!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Phew, thank god this thread isnt what i thought it was about !
    LOL maybe it is ... we are shaving again and wearing less clothing
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    LOL maybe it is ... we are shaving again and wearing less clothing
    Come on you guys, lets get our minds out of the gutter...

Name:  geyser-california-old-faithful.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  28.8 KB

humber river advocate
    Oh yeah, can't wait to dial in the new dh
    rig, plus the new stuff at blue, the pump track
    and other project.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Lemmy Rules!
    Commuted to work today on the bike and I am looking forwards to a long ride on the cx bike on Sunday afternoon. I'm going to stay off the trails until they dry out and harden up a bit, so as to avoid damaging them. Perhaps y'all might consider doing likewise if your local trails are susceptible to damage when it is wet out. For me, the fact I can ride my bike outside is enough right now, so rail trails, fire roads and country roads on Gravedigger are just fine by me for the weekend....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    I'm with you unglued. Stay off until they're dry folks. Hopefully the horse people will do the same...

Crazy to think that last year DF was bone dry at this point. Gonna be at least three weeks before we're there.

This weekend may even see me... wait for it... on the road. /faints

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Can't wait as well!

mtbr member
    "Hells ya I just ordered new tires, big whoop, wanna fight about it?!"

Maybe it's just me, but I really like new tires. It isn't just me, is it?

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by thewake View Post
    "Hells ya I just ordered new tires, big whoop, wanna fight about it?!"

Maybe it's just me, but I really like new tires. It isn't just me, is it?
    Not just you.

BTW Gravedigger is my cyclocross bike.
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Sorry..there was an off season??

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Stay off until they're dry folks. Hopefully the horse people will do the same...
    Don't forget the idjit dog walkers. Bunch of whiners will whine about mountain bikes yet will tromp wet trails and turn them into a bog.

mtbr member
    So it is -3C outside and it won't go past 4C today. Is this the warm riding weather we are supposed to get excited about?

Unfortunately, all week I have been thinking about riding outside this weekend, so I might just grow a pair and get out there.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

humber river advocate
    wouldn't worry about the horse people... they only ride in certain areas and it is not worth picking a fight with them. let them on the trails i say, then record the condition of the trail surface and use as leverage for a mtb/hiking only trail... the walkers you can do nothing about, be polite and friendly to them as they are needed allies for trail advocacy and will be part of any trail plan. the reality is in southern ontario with the size of the population, 4 season trail use will happen, enforcement is impossible. better to build the trails with this in mind... i know i will enjoy a few trails this weekend, it's better to be an ambassador then a trail cop...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Got a fun little trail maintenance project I've been thinking about all winter. Just waiting for the damn snow to melt!

Lemmy Rules!
    I love the fact that no-one has posted anywhere on this forum all day because we have all been out enjoying the great weather!
    Strava made me do it....

cyberbully
    yes it was a good day for road riding. 80 km road ride to oakville and back...i just got decent road wheels for the cx bike and had to put them through their paces. tomorrow's gonna be even better weather...
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

humber river advocate
    weather was awesome today, trails where soft, but draining well. the ice was gone on a lot of spots along the river...

broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Just getting back to training after more than 10 weeks of absence due to the arrival of our precious little one...
    Road bike is on the trainer,mtb is in service so I'll stay in the basement for now.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hit the local trails yesterday 8am...they were perfect for a couple of hours.

Hitting the road today. Some hills maybe...BellSchool Line, 6th Line, Rattlesnake??

Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Snow is melting fast around here, trails could be ready by next week. YAY!
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 Norco Torrent

mtbr member
    I got my bike set up with some road friendly rubber, give the old girl a quick once over and then blame, the kids get sick and my dream is scuttled. on wards!

mtbr member
    That was a great weekend. I went on the road both Sat and Sun (about 75km each day) and enjoyed it all. Sunday was even more outstanding.

I really missed riding my singlespeed bike.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by want to ride View Post
    Just getting back to training after more than 10 weeks of absence due to the arrival of our precious little one...
    Road bike is on the trainer,mtb is in service so I'll stay in the basement for now.....
    Congratulations! How is fatherhood so far? Boy or girl?
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    I got my bike set up with some road friendly rubber, give the old girl a quick once over and then blame, the kids get sick and my dream is scuttled. on wards!
    begs the question is the "old girl" your bike or...........and the second thing, is, one day your kid(s) will be signed up for a ride, race, and you will get sick and scuttle their dream. Retribution, sweet.

Lemmy Rules!
    Unglued Jr's birthday was Saturday, so I couldn't ride. I more than made up for it on Sunday with a very spirited ride around the back roads of Milton on my cyclocross bike. It reminded me of why I enjoy riding so much. And man, did I ever feel strong. Lugging 25lb less up the escarpment sure made a difference....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    What a weekend!

Ended up with 140 km on the road on my CX bike. Sun, minimal winds, and very little clothing required.

Desperately wished I could have hit some Dundas Valley, but it's still a mess. Soon.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Last year there was no ice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Congratulations! How is fatherhood so far? Boy or girl?
    Thank you! It is amazing, the most wonderful thing what happened in my life.

Hannah is an amazing little girl, she is an unbelievably good baby, she's nothing but smiles if her stomach is taken care of....

But as always, the good came with a little bit of bad as well, my wife suffered a nerve damage during delivery and she temporarily lost the use of her right quadriceps,so she couldn't walk for 3 weeks!!!

She is getting better now, she is strong as always, but this was the most difficult time since we are together...

Our life is getting back to normal,but training is not priority right now, although she is pushing me to do so...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It's coming!-img_0239-copy.jpg  

No. Just No.
    Our life is getting back to normal,but training is not priority right now, although she is pushing me to do so...
    Congrats on Hannah! I've had a couple of periods where I couldn't ride (injury or other priorities) and while it can be a bit frustrating at times - especially on those perfect weather days - I always reminded myself that when it was time to ride again my bikes would be there waiting for me, and the road and trails (hopefully) right where I left them. Take care of whatever you need to, and your time will come.

However, don't discount the possibility that your getting a nudge from your S.O. to go out for a quick ride so that you'll be energized for continuing to help out. Balance is always the key, and even a quick hour blast of fresh air and wind in your face once a week feels like a million bucks if that's all you can squeeze in.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Congrats.

although she is pushing me to do so...
    Oh, I know that one from my wife. It is a hint that I have around to much taking care of everything, could you please go ride before she snaps.

mtbr member
    That is an adorable picture want to ride. Hang in there, you seem like a man with all the priorities in the right place.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Lemmy Rules!
    She is perfect! You are a lucky man and rich beyond words. And the fact your S.O. is suggesting that you get out on a ride bodes well....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Circlip, Enduramil, Seious and Unglued:

Thank you for your positive words and support, means a lot to me!!!

I'm super lucky with my wife, she knows how much I love riding, and she just so flexible and easy going when it comes to planning our days and create openings for me to be able to squeeze in my workouts!

Loooks like Hannah's schedule will allow me to have a lots of early evening rides as soon as the weather turns; time to buy a decent light for the road!

I'm a cold weather wuss anyway I don't even have proper gear to ride outside when the temp is below 7......

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

I'm a cold weather wuss anyway I don't even have proper gear to ride outside when the temp is below 7......
    Definitely pick up a light as it increases your riding options.

One thing I noticed in the last few years is that acquiring good gear it has increased my riding time. Much easier to want to head out when you feel comfortable in good gear around zero to minus 6.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Congratulations! She's beautiful. We both got a decent amount of riding in when Theo was little, but now that he's in daycare, we are greedy of our time with him and hardly riding at all. That will change as he gets older...

Evil Jr.

Hannah is an amazing little girl, she is an unbelievably good baby, she's nothing but smiles if her stomach is taken care of....
    What a cutie!

You may ride less over the next couple of years but it pays to remember that these first few month are irreplaceable.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    What a cutie!

You may ride less over the next couple of years but it pays to remember that these first few month are irreplaceable.
    Can an ECMTBR tailgater/chariot/trailabike ride be far off? Unglued Jr. and I would love that...
    Strava made me do it....

rwmtb

Where can I log a Weather complaint?

Not sure about the rest of you, but I'm getting close to logging an official complaint about the weather. Seriously? Snow?

It's coming!-mar-13-forcast.jpg

For comparison, this was exactly 1 year ago when we took the family for some local trail maintenance:
    It's coming!-trail-care-crew.jpg

In the meantime I'm hitting the rollers and road rides-- not the same though.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwmtb View Post
    For comparison, this was exactly 1 year ago when we took the family for some local trail maintenance:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trail Care Crew.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	210.8 KB 
ID:	780446

In the meantime I'm hitting the rollers and road rides-- not the same though.
    Gotta admit, last year was kind of an outlier. Hamilton had one day of snow. This year, we've had at least 6 good dumps since Xmas.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    these first few month are irreplaceable.
    So true!!! I kinda miss the first few weeks already...

Right now she's not a hugger, those amazing skin to skin naps are gone for now....

mtbr member
    Just to derail things a little, I have been trying to decide what to do this season race wise. Last year was my first foray into the Ocup and I rode 4 races in the "try an ocup" category. This year I was thinking I'd sign up for the whole sport series, but now I'm getting cold feet, especially given time commitment and the fact that between the license and the series, that'll be almost $500, before travel and all the rest of it which is a lot considering I'll be a bottom feeder. So then I thought maybe I'd just get a citizens license and do a few more try-an-ocup races and hit some other non ocup races, like the ones offered by Dan at substance projects.

However, now I see that try-an-ocup has been cut down to two laps (as opposed to three) and appears to be a replacement for the beginner category. So I'm not really interested in that.

Now my thought is that I'll just race three ocups in the sport category (the limit for one day licenses) and then just get my citizens license and do the other events. Do I even need a citizens license to do the other events? I know for the epic 8s and such, the license is included....

All of you license experts out there, I'm leaning on you and would like to draw from you well of knowledge... What do I need?

Evil Jr.
    So true!!! I kinda miss the first few weeks already...

Right now she's not a hugger, those amazing skin to skin naps are gone for now....
    Enjoy every moment. They grow up so fast!

It's coming!-jrtheo.jpg

Lemmy Rules!
    The Wake...not sure if this is your bag, but you can race singlespeed open with a citizen licence, but other than than, you need either a race licence or a one-day licence.

Most other races only require a citizen's permit (including the beginner category in cyclocross, again if that is your bag).

Accordingly, the only thing you need a full-blown race licence for is OCUP. I think the cost of a full licence for the season is approx $140 (I should really know...I sent off for mine a couple of weeks back). So I guess you could get the race licence and sign up for as many sport races as you wanted, or do three ocups with one-day licences. It looks like at least two ocups are a fair distance away from the GTA so if you did not want to travel, you could do 5. I understand that your best 5 results count in the overall standings so you might end up doing better than you thought just through overall consistency as many people do 4 or less.

And besides, I'm in 40-44 sport this year so maybe we'll get to go toe-to-toe...
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    I raced for several years with only Citizen's Permit (I was doing O-Cups in SS) and only needed to upgrade to the full-on UCI license since becoming a commissaire.

Ultimately, you have to decide how many races you realistically plan on doing. If you get hooked on O-Cups and decide you want to do more, you'll just end up needing a UCI license anyhow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    However, now I see that try-an-ocup has been cut down to two laps (as opposed to three) and appears to be a replacement for the beginner category. So I'm not really interested in that.

Now my thought is that I'll just race three ocups in the sport category (the limit for one day licenses) and then just get my citizens license and do the other events. Do I even need a citizens license to do the other events? I know for the epic 8s and such, the license is included....
    The questions are why are you racing, which O-cup courses do you want race, and do points mean anything to you? Take me for instance, there's only 3 courses which interest me; Horseshoe, Sir Sam's, and Sudbury, and since I'll be lucky to get a top 20 in any race I'm out of the points. I'm just doing it for the beer, so I'm just going to get 1 day licenses and call it a day.

As for the other events, same deal. Figure out which ones you want to do and what the license requirements are for each event. Juggle things around as required, then pick up the papers you need to do each one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast