Thread: iron mushrooms

humber river advocate

iron mushrooms

good ride tonight. trails dried up well from the weekend. lots of plants out but found this iron mushroom (old land marker)...

banned
    Feb 2005
    You seam to be educated on trails, land use and MTB in general.

What would you think of a race group coming to trails you build and maintain?
    The trails in my area are being targeted.
    The trails have lots of steep sections that are fine if you ride them properly, at a slower speed, the kind of thing that is not done during a race.
    They are on public property, but are maintained by locals for no money.

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    Can you eat it?

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Tyred

The trails have lots of steep sections that are fine if you ride them properly, at a slower speed, the kind of thing that is not done during a race.
    Did I miss something in the 1st post?
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

The reality is that the trails are on public land. Which means there isn't alot one can do. The only real option one has is to contact the event organizer to voice any concerns.

Other then that look at it as a oppurtunity to go ride somewhere else for the day.

humber river advocate
    you can petition for a trail plan to be implemented that takes in consideration all trail users/stakeholders. also record the conditions of the trails before the event and after.
    most conservation areas/land managers welcome people who are from the local community that take an interest in stewardship. if they don't i would ask some hard public questions. i would also use imba as a resource of information

Gears, beers and slices..
    Who is "targeting" the trails in your area? Is it Al Qaeda? Are the trails targeted for suicide bombers? Or is it just that your "secret area" is going to be enjoyed by a small group of advanced riders?

Yes, let's make mountain biking elitist and exclusionary - we need more people like that in this world.
    Last edited by Pizza_Royale; 05-13-2009 at 05:44 PM.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizza_Royale
    Who is "targeting" the trails in your area? Is it Al Qaeda? Are the trails targeted for suicide bombers? Or is it just that your "secret area" is going to be enjoyed by a small group of advanced riders?

Yes, let's make mountain biking elitist and exclusionary - we need more people like that in this world.

he never said he is exclusinary, nor did he want to exclude the riding public or other users. he just didn't want to get the trails that where built/maintained for outdoor experience/enjoyment by hard working volunteers to get trashed by a racing event...

think how it would feel to have months of hard volunteer work and stewardship trashed in a weekend by people who don't give a rats a$$ and who might only ride there once a year?

Gears, beers and slices..
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket
    think how it would feel to have months of hard volunteer work and stewardship trashed in a weekend by people who don't give a rats a$$ and who might only ride there once a year?
    Why the assumption that things will get "trashed" by people who don't care? This isn't an O-cup - it will be a WAY smaller field, full of people who are more laid back and that are likely really going to appreciate the trails.

I'm going out on a limb here by saying that a lot of the fastest riders may be coming from the local clubs that have been riding the area for years. They absolutely appreciate the area, and would not want to damage one of their local trail networks either. If that's the "racer" crowd that you're worried about, then I would suggest that you can rest easy. I just can't see that we're going to have the "rip it" kind of racer - you just can't do a 70k race riding balls out, especially in that terrain.

humber river advocate
    there you just dealt with the issues of the concerned poster/rider in a positive manner. not heavy use, longer race, small field of local riders, shouldn't be a problem. if an area does get damaged then perhaps that area is a problem spot and might need a reroute?

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza_Royale
    Why the assumption that things will get "trashed" by people who don't care? This isn't an O-cup - it will be a WAY smaller field, full of people who are more laid back and that are likely really going to appreciate the trails.

I'm going out on a limb here by saying that a lot of the fastest riders may be coming from the local clubs that have been riding the area for years. They absolutely appreciate the area, and would not want to damage one of their local trail networks either. If that's the "racer" crowd that you're worried about, then I would suggest that you can rest easy. I just can't see that we're going to have the "rip it" kind of racer - you just can't do a 70k race riding balls out, especially in that terrain.