mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Introducing The Nickel City Knobby Race Series!!

I am pleased to announce a new XC race series in Western New York!

The Nickel City Knobby Race Series!!

Dates are as follows:

Race #1: June 1st, Sunday, 10am, Spraguebrook Park
    Race #2: July 19th, Saturday, 10am, Allegheny State Park
    Race #3: August 30th, Saturday, 10am, Holliday Valley
    Race #4: October 4th, Saturday, 10am, Spraguebrook Park

Best 3 of 4 race times count towards overall series standings.

More details to follow soon, keep and eye on www.wnymbro.com for updates!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by NickelCity
    I am pleased to announce a new XC race series in Western New York!

The Nickel City Knobby Race Series!!

Dates are as follows:

Race #1: June 1st, Sunday, 10am, Spraguebrook Park
    Race #2: July 19th, Saturday, 10am, Allegheny State Park
    Race #3: August 30th, Saturday, 10am, Holliday Valley
    Race #4: October 4th, Saturday, 10am, Spraguebrook Park

Best 3 of 4 race times count towards overall series standings.

More details to follow soon, keep and eye on www.wnymbro.com for updates!
    Interesting. Races 1 and 3 look like they might be possibilities. I have raced many of the venues in Southern Ontario, but have never done any riding or racing south of the border. I like trying new venues, so hopefully i will make it over the border at least once this summer.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The racing and riding in WNY is great! Lot's of fun, varied terrain. Check out www.wnymba.org for trail maps.

If you can make it, come to race #4. It's the series finale, so there will be a big party and awards ceremony after the race! Food, FREE BEER, live music, and a bike demo trailer from a "as of yet undisclosed" major bike manufacturer!

Hope to see you and your friends there!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by NickelCity
    The racing and riding in WNY is great! Lot's of fun, varied terrain. Check out www.wnymba.org for trail maps.

If you can make it, come to race #4. It's the series finale, so there will be a big party and awards ceremony after the race! Food, FREE BEER, live music, and a bike demo trailer from a "as of yet undisclosed" major bike manufacturer!

Hope to see you and your friends there!
    I don't tend to do much racing after i am back in school, so an October race is unlikely. But free beer? Dang. They don't have that at every race!
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

NormalNorm
    LOL....i had to read the FREE BEER!!! thing about 8 times. I think you will be seeing me.

mtbr member
    For anyone who hasn't done any racing in WNY, I can say from past experience that the races are fantastic. The venues are always good, the prizes are great and the organizers are really great people.

I'm definitely racing this series and I hope some other guys here can join in!

Dan

NormalNorm
    Just a quick question for the guys/gals that have raced in WNY. What is involved with crossing the border with your bike? Do you need any kinda paper work or anything?

veldrijder
    I'm thinking I will definitely try to make this series part of my schedule. If there's a few of us from Southern Ontario going, perhaps we could coordinate sharing rides and such.

The free beer doesn't sound too bad either

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Crossing the border you SHOULDN'T have any issues, although they COULD in theory make you pay taxes/duty on your bike when you brought it back if they thought you didn't bring it into the U.S. with you. We'd cross over almost every weekend to go to Ellicotville for skiing and never got a hassle. It has been years since we've done that, so things might have changed, but I wouldn't think skis and bikes would be that different.

You can stop off at customs on your way out and get them to fill in a little card that lists all the valuables you're bringing out of the country, so that when you come back into the country they know what you brought out, so you won't have an issue.

Tim

RACE FIEND!
    As a Co-promoter of the series. WNYMBRO would like to invite all of you to join our forums @ http://www.wnymbro.com
    Your opinion matters as much as anybody's when it comes to our series. You can let us know what you think by visiting our site and joining our forums.

Race Not ....want not!

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by norm
    Just a quick question for the guys/gals that have raced in WNY. What is involved with crossing the border with your bike? Do you need any kinda paper work or anything?
    My friends and I have ridden down there many times now and even attend the "Secret Handlebars Race" last Fall at Sprague Brook.
    We all had a great time, the trails and terrain are awesome as are the people.

We've never even had the slightest comment on our bikes or gear at the Border. As long as your bike doesn't look brand spanking with sales stickers still on it I can't see you ever having a problem crossing back into the Canadian side.
    On the US side, they've only ever ask what we were bring in and if any of it was staying the the USA.

I've hauled a lot of stuff over the Canadian/US Border over the many years from dirt bikes to bicycles to surfboards and camping gear and never had a problem with any of it.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

NormalNorm
    Another question that someone might be able to answer for me. I looked for where the races are and i couldnt find anything other than western new york state. I am assuming that they are in the Buffalo area and does anyone know how long a drive over the border are the races.

mtbr member
    I know a lot of down here in WNY attend a lot of races up in Ontario (Chicos 8 hrs, 24 hrs etc) and we never have a hassle crossing over either way. They don't ask about the bikes on the top of the car. However, as of Jan 31 we are being told we need either a birth certificate or passport to cross over. I will probably break down and buy the passport. Not sure what they'll do if you don't have the proper docs.....

RideMFRide
    www.crankskins.com

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by norm
    Another question that someone might be able to answer for me. I looked for where the races are and i couldnt find anything other than western new york state. I am assuming that they are in the Buffalo area and does anyone know how long a drive over the border are the races.
    I agree, the info seems to be pretty sparse. I just use google maps to find the places.

ie #1 at is about 35-40 minutes from Buffalo

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...2854&z=10&om=0

Shorthills Cycling Club

RACE FIEND!
    Ellicottville is about 55 minutes away from Buffalo, Allegheny is a little farther,probably 1hr 15 minutes south, and Spraguebrook is the closest at about 45 minutes. All are well worth the trip. If you use google the best reference for E-villle would be Holliday Valley Ski resort, Allegheny State Park for the Allegheny race, And Spraguebrook Park for the SB race. We will get good directions once we set something up on our website. Again, we will always be available to answer any questions or if you have any concerns.

mtbr member
    We'll see if we can get some links up for directions to the races.

Races 1 and 4 will about 35 minutes from the Peace Bride

Race 3 will be about 90 minutes from the bridge

Race 4 will be 60 minutes from the bridge, in lovely Ellicottville NY. Stop by the Ellicottville Brew Pub after the races and have some most excellent beer!!!! And good food too!

RideMFRide
    www.crankskins.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker
    We'll see if we can get some links up for directions to the races.

Races 1 and 4 will about 35 minutes from the Peace Bride

Race 3 will be about 90 minutes from the bridge

Race 4 will be 60 minutes from the bridge, in lovely Ellicottville NY. Stop by the Ellicottville Brew Pub after the races and have some most excellent beer!!!! And good food too!
    Whoops, I meant race 2 will be 60 minutes away in E-Ville

RideMFRide
    www.crankskins.com

mtbr member
    Hey WNYMBRO -

Whatever does that mean at the bottom of your post?

"race MFrace"

Please tell me because I don't understand.......

RideMFRide
    www.crankskins.com

veldrijder
    What kind of entry fees can we expect?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Expect entry fees to be in the $25usd range.

Races will be +/- 2 hours for Expert.

All races will feature seperate kids races! Every kid gets a prize, so parents, bring them along so they can have fun racing too!

Races 1 and 4 at Spraguebook are of intermediate technical level, with close to 7 miles of single track per lap (3 laps for Expert)

Race 2 at Allegheny will be a slug fest! Fast rolling terrain will be super fast for the experts but easy enough for a first-timer.

Race 3 at Holliday Valley will feature some of WNY's best and most challenging single track in a beautiful setting.

Links to race maps will be posted soon, but in the meantime check out www.wnymba.org for area maps and information.

Our series finale at Spraguebrook promises to be a great event! If you don't come to race, make sure you come for the party afterwards! Expect big prizes and payouts for the overall series winners at the season finale!! Not to mentions the FREE BEER, live music, great food, vendor tents, and a demo trailer with the latest and greatest from a soon to be anounced manufacturer for you to test ride!

bi-winning
    How about licenses? 1 day? $?

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Here's the deal:

For ID, you absolutely must have EITHER a passport OR a birth certificate AND a driver's license/other government photo ID. If you don't have that, they just won't let you cross. I highly recommend everyone gets a passport though. We have ones for myself, my wife and my son and they seem to really appreciate it when we hand them to them at the bridge.

As for the bikes, technically if you're bringing in anything of value to the US and then bringing it back, you should have a green customs tag for it. Basically if you stop on the CDN side, tell them your bike and the serial number and they'll give you a green card. This way it proves you didn't buy it in the US. However, with that said, like everyone else here, I've never once been asked for those coming back. I travel back and forth with bikes on a very regular basis and I've never had a problem.

Dan

RACE FIEND!
    Race My Friend Race!