Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Evil Jr.

Intermontane: Total Disaster (So Far)!

With all due credit to Mrs. Monster (who found this write-up):
    Intermontane cancels third-day results

By MARK HUNTER
    Daily News Sports Reporter

July 30, 2009

Kamloops – A black cloud hung over the finish line of the third stage at the Intermontane Challenge mountain bike race Wednesday.

Some riders came through the finish line in the wrong direction. Others came in the backs of pick-up trucks. And the men's race leader, Jeremiah Bishop, wouldn't have made it at all, if not for some help from teammate David (Tinker) Juarez, who pushed him across the finish line.

To put the cherry on top of a terrible day, race organizer Chuck Brennan announced after most of the riders were finished that the Stage 3 results would not count toward the overall time in the five-day race.

“It's a sad day,” Brennan said. “We have two more good days of riding.”

Today's Stage 4, the Top of the World, is scheduled to start at TRU at 7 a.m. The times after Tuesday's Stage 2 will be carried over to today.

Stage 3 started on a bad note, when organizers learned that someone was sabotaging the course. The stage was scheduled to start at 8 a.m., but the riders didn't start rolling until around 10:45, after organizers scrambled to reroute and remark the course.

Because most of the sabotage surrounded the Greenstone Mountain side of the stage, organizers decided to cut around that part, lopping around 30 kilometres off the originally scheduled 85km ride.

Unfortunately, some of the new track wasn't marked well, and a lot of riders got lost, a few of whom were forced to call for a pick up. One unhappy rider angrily threw his helmet and a backpack after finishing the stage.

“Because we were doing it in reverse, the markings were marked on the back of trees,” said Kamloops' Chris Sheppard, who finished the stage first overall in three hours six minutes eight seconds. “Coming down, I did two kilometres more than the fifth-place guy. At one point, I was way down below and I could see the guys up on a ridge.”

Bishop, who is from Harrisonburg, Va., was the overall leader after two stages, 5:44 ahead of Sheppard, who lives in Bend, Ore.

But disaster struck Bishop when he fell off his bike and injured his neck in the final two kilometres of the stage. According to riders nearby, Bishop went over a small ridge and failed to negotiate a sudden turn.

“We were going down a single-track descent and we were crossing a dirt road,” said Bishop's teammate Ben Sonntag, who finished second, in 3:07:50. “There was a rise, so we couldn't see the trail below and he probably miscalculated it and missed the trail.”

Bishop barely finished - Juarez had to push him the last few hundred metres - and was carted off in an ambulance a few minutes after finishing. Sonntag, the first rider to reach Bishop, was surprised his Monavie-Cannondale teammate was able to get back on his bike and finish.

“I was probably 20, 30 seconds behind (Bishop) and I could still see the dust cloud where it happened,” Sonntag said. “He was just lying there, going 'My neck, my neck.' I actually told him he should stay there.”

Bishop's status for the rest of the Intermontane is in doubt. If he isn't able to start today's stage, Sheppard will take the leader's jersey and have a 20-second lead on Juarez and a lead of 3:42 on Sonntag.

“There's no good news,” Sheppard said. “There's a lot of camaraderie and it's tight racing. I never wish ill will on anyone.”

The women's finish also was quirky. Jenn O'Connor of New Zealand crossed the line first in 3:34:40, but she apparently got lost and was going the wrong direction when she arrived.

The overall women's leader, Sue Butler of Portland, came through the finish line - in the right direction - in 3:38:28, four seconds ahead of Amanda Carey of Victor, Idaho.

Butler will start today's stage with a 33:50 lead over Sarah Kaufman of Ogden, Utah.
    This is AFTER the mess that was Day 1. Locals Brad Hunter and Rachel Mirvish are out there braving this thing and are sitting fourth overall in Mixed. I hope they're having a better time than this article might imply.

I'm so glad nogears didn't succeed in talking me into this mess!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Evil Jr.
    Yipes! More from the Western Canada forum:

Some local ******* just sabotaged the course for today. I guess he doesn't want people on "his" trail. We're waiting for a re-route but are losing the best 30 km of the stage today.
    Apparently the guy wanted to keep "free" in "free-riding" and didn't want the x-c guys riding his trail, which BTW, is on crown land.
    All I have to say is wow.... way to **** up a good thing for the city of Kamloops, the organizers, volunteers, and the riders.
    Welcome to Kamloops!
    There is probably a lot going on that we don't know about. I have heard that the race organizer has burned some bridges with the local riding community, BUT, I wish they had not taken it out on the riders.

Regardless of the local politics or who's screwing who over, the people who are taking the brunt of it are the racers who came a long way and paid a lot of money. We started 2.5 hours late yesterday, were exposed to more insane heat and most of the riders were lost on the mountain at some point. It's not fun or safe.

I finished yesterday but am pulling the plug. All five of us are out of the race now, it's been too hot and too much of a **** show. We're hitting Silverstar today instead.
    We bailed too. It was a gong show. Very unsafe and unorganized. Heard that Jeremiah got hurt and people got lost but that's all we know from yesterday. Its really a shame that the riders are taking the brunt of this. We dropped a lot of coinage on this.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have had 3 friends leave as well and all will ask for full refunds,this is so horrible!
    Last edited by scuttler; 08-01-2009 at 04:38 AM.

Burnt Orange Lives

Phat Tyred

admit it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Yipes! More from the Western Canada forum:

Misfit Psycles
    reports continue to flood in concerning the drama.

there are several Ontarian's present, a couple blogging too:

TANYA - Vegan Vagabond
    and
    RACHEL - Sunshine Princess

if you don't know either, suffice to say both are more then amply qualified, their reports don't bode well for the future.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Upset Bummed.

This is a bummer.
    Last edited by scuttler; 08-01-2009 at 05:36 PM.

Misfit Psycles
    the plot thickens.

BTW monster...Kelly (scuttler) was the reason I was trying to 'talk you into this'

I know not Chuck, but when Kelly left so did my plans.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Last edited by scuttler; 08-01-2009 at 05:37 PM.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scuttler
    check this out:

http://tracksidenews.blogspot.com/

this is what I was talking about,not my opinion but that of others...... this is disgusting....these folks came all the way over from the UK....and spent atleast $10K.....the truth is coming out.....why is this not making the papers/websites etc etc? These guys are getting the shaft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!When will Chuck step up and accept some responsibility!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!what do you guys think? I'm not crazy, am I? I'm sorry but this is not right guys!

It has made the media.

http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/2...ourse-sabotage

Further impressions from BC.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=124996

It is now an RCMP investigation.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

@adelorenzo
    Some of the statements that have been quoted here are mine, so I won't add a lot, other than to say that five of us came all the way from Whitehorse and have been really dissapointed. I would never recommend this race, if it ever does happen again.

We went to Vernon today and rode Silver Star. Amazing.

Oh, BTW, Ben Sonntag got a concussion today and Tinker went way off course. Now the local hero Chris Sheppard is leading the race.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    http://www.velonews.com/article/9623...fter-a-chaotic

Sabotaged even before the start
    Before the planned, 85km stage even began, it was thrown into chaos. According to organizers, at around 9 pm the night before, Brennan got a call from a volunteer who was helping to mark the course.

Paul Berry, the owner of local bike shop Spoke n’ Motion and a top-10 finisher, recounted events on the eve of the fateful stage. “Chuck received a call from Matt who was out marking the course. There was a guy up there on a section of the course,” said Berry. “This guy basically said, ‘If you guys mark this course, I’m gonna take it down. And I’m gonna be up here at four in the morning, waiting for you to mark it, and I’m gonna take it down. I’ll do whatever I can to wreck the course,’” related Berry.

According to Berry, the caller claimed ownership to some of the “Greenstone” trails, where the race was to have included a challenging descent, because he helped build the trails. Berry said the trail is on public land and built on an old motorcycle trail. The race had a permit to hold the event there.

The Kamloops Daily News reported that local police are investigating vandalism to the course.
    http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/2...ourse-sabotage

A mountain bike rider who built some of the Greenstone trails acknowledged he tore off course markers two weeks ago but said he did nothing to sabotage the course this week.

Jeff Sykes called himself a passionate mountain biker who is upset Brennan is riding freely on efforts of trail builders on Greenstone Mountain.

“I rode it (Greenstone Mountain trail) with my girlfriend yesterday,” said Jeff Sykes. “That’s when I saw some guys using it. They didn’t ask us.”

Sykes said he’s spent eight years on the mountain, building and maintaining trails on Crown land. He was upset when he saw flagging tape there two weeks ago. He said he tore off the tape and knew nothing about the race at the time.

Then, on Tuesday, when organizers were checking and remarking the course, he accused them of riding for free on his years of backbreaking labour. The area is on Crown land and there are no tenures that allow exclusive use.

“They’ll have hundreds of people on it and make a big mess,” Sykes said, adding community etiquette puts the onus on Brennan to seek permission to profit from other people’s trail work.

“I never did anything but remove flagging tape, which is on my trail.”
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

humber river advocate
    Interesting... things like this seem to play out more often... i wonder if they took the effort to talk to and involve the local builders this could have been prevented...

Quote:
    Sabotaged even before the start
    Before the planned, 85km stage even began, it was thrown into chaos. According to organizers, at around 9 pm the night before, Brennan got a call from a volunteer who was helping to mark the course.

Paul Berry, the owner of local bike shop Spoke n’ Motion and a top-10 finisher, recounted events on the eve of the fateful stage. “Chuck received a call from Matt who was out marking the course. There was a guy up there on a section of the course,” said Berry. “This guy basically said, ‘If you guys mark this course, I’m gonna take it down. And I’m gonna be up here at four in the morning, waiting for you to mark it, and I’m gonna take it down. I’ll do whatever I can to wreck the course,’” related Berry.

According to Berry, the caller claimed ownership to some of the “Greenstone” trails, where the race was to have included a challenging descent, because he helped build the trails. Berry said the trail is on public land and built on an old motorcycle trail. The race had a permit to hold the event there.

The Kamloops Daily News reported that local police are investigating vandalism to the course.

Quote:
    A mountain bike rider who built some of the Greenstone trails acknowledged he tore off course markers two weeks ago but said he did nothing to sabotage the course this week.

Jeff Sykes called himself a passionate mountain biker who is upset Brennan is riding freely on efforts of trail builders on Greenstone Mountain.

“I rode it (Greenstone Mountain trail) with my girlfriend yesterday,” said Jeff Sykes. “That’s when I saw some guys using it. They didn’t ask us.”

Sykes said he’s spent eight years on the mountain, building and maintaining trails on Crown land. He was upset when he saw flagging tape there two weeks ago. He said he tore off the tape and knew nothing about the race at the time.

Then, on Tuesday, when organizers were checking and remarking the course, he accused them of riding for free on his years of backbreaking labour. The area is on Crown land and there are no tenures that allow exclusive use.

“They’ll have hundreds of people on it and make a big mess,” Sykes said, adding community etiquette puts the onus on Brennan to seek permission to profit from other people’s trail work.

“I never did anything but remove flagging tape, which is on my trail.”
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 07-31-2009 at 06:00 AM.

Evil Jr.
    There was a whiff of this kind of thing at BCBR too.

On Day 3 (I think) some locals (bored kids?) rerouted the trail after we'd gone through (thankfully) and cost the last 40 riders (or so) an extra hour in the saddle. That morning, we were warned that there was some mischief going on up in the hills and the start was delayed so that the lead moto could clean up the course.

The course for Day 5 (I think) was shortened by about 7 km when a local land owner withdrew his permission to the let the race through. We had to make a ferry crossing at the end of that stage so it wasn't really missed in the end any how.

Other than those two incidents however, it was clear that all the local trail associations were super-stoked to have us out on "their" trials. On the North Shore, Vancouver Island, Sunshine Cost and in Squamish, I had a chance to stop and chat with the builders personally who were all on course. They were all really excited to have people from all over the place riding their trails and were eager to hear about all our farvourite features.

I know Phat Tyred catches a lot of flack on here for defending "his" trails but I find it really hard to relate to that stance. I've always been really excited to have people riding AND racing on trails I've helped build. So odd.

EDIT: I should add too that a portion of our BCBR entry fees went to support the local trail associations as well. That probably goes a LONG way to making everyone happy.
    Last edited by garage monster; 07-31-2009 at 06:39 AM.

Burnt Orange Lives

I do find statements made by the guy

who tore off race signs in BC scary similar to some local Ontario people - calling trails on Crown land "my trails"...

I do feel the same as you Monster - if I built some trails - I'd be superstocked to see people actually riding them...

Phat Tyres has a bit more credibility as the weather was threatening to make the race in Horseshoe destructive towards some of the sections of the course, but this character in BC was totally out of line, as the weather was dry as a bone...

In both cases, actions taken basically boiled down to screwing up the RIDERS, not anyone else... so it is kind of lame that riders take their anger on other riders... Some riders got seriously hurt in BC due to the vandalism... I hope the police gets to the bottom of it and riders recover successfully...

Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    There was a whiff of this kind of thing at BCBR too.

On Day 3 (I think) some locals (bored kids?) rerouted the trail after we'd gone through (thankfully) and cost the last 40 riders (or so) an extra hour in the saddle. That morning, we were warned that there was some mischief going on up in the hills and the start was delayed so that the lead moto could clean up the course.

The course for Day 5 (I think) was shortened by about 7 km when a local land owner withdrew his permission to the let the race through. We had to make a ferry crossing at the end of that stage so it wasn't really missed in the end any how.

Other than those two incidents however, it was clear that all the local trail associations were super-stoked to have us out on "their" trials. On the North Shore, Vancouver Island, Sunshine Cost and in Squamish, I had a chance to stop and chat with the builders personally who were all on course. They were all really excited to have people from all over the place riding their trails and were eager to hear about all our farvourite features.

I know Phat Tyred catches a lot of flack on here for defending "his" trails but I find it really hard to relate to that stance. I've always been really excited to have people riding AND racing on trails I've helped build. So odd.

EDIT: I should add too that a portion of our BCBR entry fees went to support the local trail associations as well. That probably goes a LONG way to making everyone happy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Agreed. I think its pretty weak when so many fights occur between fellow riders (i.e. trailbuilders vs racers in this case). mountain biking is not a mainstream sport in North America, as opposed to hockey, baseball, football, basketball. If someone wanted to put in a hockey rink, it wouldn't even be questioned. If someone wanted to put in trails, I bet it'd be a totally different battle. My point in that all riders should be working together, and not fighting over something as silly as 'my trails'. If everyone wants to see the sport grow and long term sustainability, then it needs more teamwork and positive promotion.

Sorry to hear about everyone that had so much invested in this race, and are being disappointed. Glad to hear you're ripping some other trails.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    Phat Tyres has a bit more credibility...
    you're right, i don't think anyone is making a comparison between phat and this sort of shite.

there are those that oppose abortion.
    there are those that murder doctors.

the troubling thing is that there are ALL THESE PEOPLE, average people, normal working stiffs that have WASTED thousands on this experience.

not only is it BAD for intermontane but it's bad for ANY first year start-up race...THIS is why people take a "wait and see" attitude.

i wanted to feel for Chuck - because shite happens with people, between people - I didn't want to believe that it was anything more then a bad break here or there...

the reports keep rolling in, all bad...sabotage aside...this race seems as if it would be a failure without it...the sabotage may have been a blessing...at least there is the possibility of holding someone financially accountable...in fact i feel for the sabateur (in a round-about way). HE (or SHE) is going to end up being the poster boy for failure here while the rest is white washed.

Brad and Rachel have now dropped...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

@adelorenzo
    IMHO, a lot of the problems are within the organizer's control.

It's weird, there are many of us who feel like this has been a disaster, but there are still people out there who are having the time of their life. "Greatest race ever" was something I saw on twitter. Good for them, glad they're getting their money's worth.

Perhaps the biggest dissapointment of all: The trails suck. The much-hyped Kamloops singletrack has been dry, loose, dusty, rutted doubletrack, moto trails, and hiking trails. There has been less than 10 km of what I would consider good MTB singletrack. Even the bad trails back in Whitehorse are better than this.

We'll keep the XC bikes at home next time and ride our own trails. Next bike trip will be a bike park trip for sure. Still buzzed from yesterday on Silver Star.

humber river advocate
    interesting about silver star... might just have to go there to check it out.

what i find interesting in these posts is to what degree the "sunk cost effect" plays.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    you're right, i don't think anyone is making a comparison between phat and this sort of shite.

there are those that oppose abortion.
    there are those that murder doctors.

the troubling thing is that there are ALL THESE PEOPLE, average people, normal working stiffs that have WASTED thousands on this experience.

not only is it BAD for intermontane but it's bad for ANY first year start-up race...THIS is why people take a "wait and see" attitude.

i wanted to feel for Chuck - because shite happens with people, between people - I didn't want to believe that it was anything more then a bad break here or there...

the reports keep rolling in, all bad...sabotage aside...this race seems as if it would be a failure without it...the sabotage may have been a blessing...at least there is the possibility of holding someone financially accountable...in fact i feel for the sabateur (in a round-about way). HE (or SHE) is going to end up being the poster boy for failure here while the rest is white washed.

Brad and Rachel have now dropped...
    Actually the problem if race sabotage is far more prevalent then is acknowledged. Ask any course setter and race director how many times it happens. It happens at every single event.

Though I think it's a bit more prevalent in Ontario. That is simply because most races occur in places like Dundas, Albion, Kelso, and so on. Conservation areas that can be accessed at any point by anyone.

In regards to the race crew, I suspect that they where understaffed. Because in a ideal situation he would have had 2 people who would have been out to check the course that morning. Especially knowing that threats had been made.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    Some riders got seriously hurt in BC due to the vandalism... I hope the police gets to the bottom of it and riders recover successfully...
    Neither of the Cannondale riders' injuries can be blamed on the vandalism. Jeramiah went off the the trail and injured himself in Kenna Cartwright Park near the end of the race which was on the originally planned route. The trails there are considered to be fairly recreational. Of course if you're flying down a trail and you miss a turn...there are some good drop offs. The other rider was injured the following day. The trails used on day 3 and 4 can be great fun...when you're fresh. They can be challenging and coordination is important.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It's getting ugly. Chuck had Kelly, who was watching the race, removed by the police. I don't think Chuck has many bridges left he can burn in Kamloops. Man Kelly, what made you and Dustin go in on this race with Chuck?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gone_riding
    It's getting ugly. Chuck had Kelly, who was watching the race, removed by the police. I don't think Chuck has many bridges left he can burn in Kamloops. Man Kelly, what made you and Dustin go in on this race with Chuck?
    It is really to bad about this. Makes all of kamloops look bad.

Really there is a wicked XC ride community in Kamloops with lots of decent XC trails.

If anybody ever recovers from the trama of this race and wants someone to show them some decent XC trails in Kamloops look me up. Just don't come in the summer, July and August are not the months to ride in the loops.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Wow. What grounds would Chuck have for doing that to Kelly?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Who saw Kelly getting removed and does anyone know why. How many racers were left in this fiasco? How many categories got their prize money that was originally called for. The prize list was the big marketing draw and after the reg refund deadline, the prize money changes. I am wanting to hear from others as it just seems all to weird to believe, I am beginning to feel embarrassed that this event took place in "my" province and with "my" tax dollars. I say this because BCLC is a Gove enity and Tourism Kamloops is still part of BC and gets some funding from the provincial gov (BC).

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    Just don't come in the summer, July and August are not the months to ride in the loops.
    It's not so bad here, you just have to ride earlier in the morning. This year has been exceptionally warm. That said, I wouldn't have chosen mid summer to hold this event. The old Stomp loop at Stake Lake is nice since it's in the shade, but you've got to like cross-country. Stake Lake to Inx Lake is also mainly in the shade, but the tail end gets a fair amount of motorbike traffic so not everyone might enjoy the descents but it was fun when I rode it earlier this week (before the race). That Inx Lake to Greenstone and back loop is pretty neat but there is some exposed riding so can get pretty warm.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast